LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy

• Thread starter DuckRacer
  • 35 comments

DuckRacer

Premium
IGN
LEGO Star Wars II: Episode IV Revisited
We haven't seen it all yet. Here's how the latest build stacks up.
by Jeremy Dunham

August 8, 2006 - I'm actually a bit surprised that I can still find something to talk about regarding LucasArts' forthcoming LEGO Star Wars II. Having seen the game just prior to E3, at E3, right after E3 and during a company event held afterwards, I honestly didn't think that I'd be able to elaborate on Episode IV any more than I already have. But I suppose that's the beauty of sitting down and actually playing through a "content complete" version of the game in preparation for its September release -- I get to discover things I didn't even know were there before.

Take, for instance, the fact that the stages are much, much bigger than those of the first game. Sure we've been told before that this installment would be bigger, but LucasArts really wasn't kidding -- LEGO II is absolutely huge. The first level alone is roughly 30 to 40 minutes in length and that's independent of any extra "bonus" freeplay explorations you can do later. Speaking of the first chapter, it begins with the gun battle on the Tantive IV Rebel Blockade Runner. As Princess Leia and Captain Antilles, players will have to make their way from one end of the ship to another so that they can get the plans to R2 before he blasts off towards Tatooine. Along the way, expect to see all sorts of familiar sights: from the stormtrooper invasion at the beginning of the film to Darth Vader's one-handed choke and the inevitable droid escape... it's all here. And better yet, it's here with humor.

lego-star-wars-ii-the-original-trilogy-20060808085404978.jpg

Chapters 2 and 3 follow Luke's pursuit of the Droids after they've been re-kidnapped by Jawas (yes, that's new) and his eventual meeting with Obi-Wan while battling the Sand People. After that, it's Han and Chewie time, as the pair fights their way to the Millennium Falcon from the Cantina battle with Greedo. What's truly appealing about all of these sections is that Traveller's Tales has done a good job of mixing things up from one style to another. Vehicular construction, block-push puzzle-solving, and straight-up blaster battles are interspersed with regularity to keep things fresh. What's more, these next two chapters are even bigger than the first one with absolutely enormous stages to investigate and traverse.

Another new tidbit is that there are a number of new collectibles to track down and uncover. Not only are the Model Kit pieces from the first game back in full force, but now there are power bricks, gold bricks, and other hidden goodies spread out amongst the stages as well. There's an absolute Poodoo-ton of items to be hoarded here, and players can even find little bonus areas that double their stud values, provide new wearable accessories, and uncover additional comedy cutscenes. Just like its LEGO prequel, The Original Trilogy oozes content and personality.

lego-star-wars-ii-the-original-trilogy-20060808085405291.jpg

Lucky for us, we obtained just about every imaginable version for playtest purposes. PS2, Xbox 360, Xbox, PSP -- you name it. Of all the builds, the 360 and PS2 versions seems to be the farthest along and other than the visuals appear to be identical in every way (though we still have a long way to go). The only thing I'm still unsure of is how the "Adaptive AI" will work out by the time I reach the end of the game. So far, it's been difficult to tell if it's been getting harder or easier, which makes me wonder if this feature really works or if it just hasn't been implemented yet.

To see portions of the game for yourself, click on our video page below tomrrow to check our intern Micah trying his best to be a warrior of the force. Then, be sure to visit us again next week for another update.
I didn't know why this was so popular until I saw one of the videos. Looks like I'll be buying this on Sept 12th (Europe release is Sept 28th).

I just watched the four videos on IGN and they all looked pretty good. I may have to check this game out. It looks like it could be a blast to play.

You didn't play the first one? For shame!!!

To be completely honest, I loved the first one. Although the story lines were a bit weak (based of the first three movies of the trilogy), it was fun enough to keep the gameplay interesting, and it has enough goodies to make you want to play through it a time or two.

My only problems with the origional was that a few puzzles seemed difficult, even for me, and to make it worse, the controls were a bit sloppy thus making it a bit more difficult to figure out what was going on.

Its one of those games thats amazingly simple and fun and makes an appealing title for the whole family to play. My youngest brother, who is five, loves the game even though he hasn't seen any of the movies.

So heres to the fixes on the second run!

Wow! Awesome! Nice find. This is a lovely surprise.

The boys and I LOVED the first one. It was fantastic if you never played it. As said above, the story is weak, so don't expect much. But the game play, although quite simple, was actually a lot of fun. It also had those hidden gems sometimes put in games that make adventure/action games so much fun.

This is one game I'm going to get for the PS3 if it comes out for the PS3.

Wow! Awesome! Nice find. This is a lovely surprise.

The boys and I LOVED the first one. It was fantastic if you never played it. As said above, the story is weak, so don't expect much. But the game play, although quite simple, was actually a lot of fun. It also had those hidden gems sometimes put in games that make adventure/action games so much fun.

This is one game I'm going to get for the PS3 if it comes out for the PS3.
Well, I don't think it's coming out for the PS3, but it is coming out for the PS2.

Not at the moment, I'm thinking about buying it once I get my 360 back. The box to ship it came it today, but I won't be able to send it off until Monday.

So how is it Duck? Saw you playing last night, I rented it for PSP and its pretty fun, played until my battery died for 4 hours. had a choice of the 360 version or PSP. I choose the handhed so i can play at work all week.

So how is it Duck? Saw you playing last night, I rented it for PSP and its pretty fun, played until my battery died for 4 hours. had a choice of the 360 version or PSP. I choose the handhed so i can play at work all week.

Well, it's really, really fun. And funny. There's a comical flair to the cutscenes. This game is hard to describe, and you wouldn't think this game would keep you playing 4 hours straight. Really, anything positive that has been said about this game and the prequel I agree with.

I do think though that some of the puzzles are too tedious. And the aircraft controls aren't the best. But other than that, it's definitely gets a 👍.

lol this game is great !!! when DARTH VADER tells LUKE he's his father he pulls out a wedding picture, points at LUKE and starts laughing 👍

I've always questioned the intelligence of putting out a demo after the game itself is in stores. I rarely use demos to "try before I buy", I use them as a chance to play the game before it's in stores. Hell, that was my main motivation behind beta testing TDU on PS2. Bought a network adapter and everything for the chance to play the game months before it was in stores, and more than two months before even the 360 version was out.

But, I didn't need a demo for this one. My "demo" was the first LEGO Star Wars. :) And this one is better in almost every respect. I got it for Gamecube, but I figure I own a 360 and I'm playing LSWII, so I can post here if I feel like it.. hehe.

I'm not that far into the game, but has anyone had problems with Obi-Wan and his lightsaber? He seems to miss a lot more than any of the saber-wielding characters from the first game. Almost to the point of being downright useless in a fight with multiple opponents. He's the only Jedi character I've played so far, so I'm not sure if it's a change in gameplay mechanics or that he's just an old man now.

I've always questioned the intelligence of putting out a demo after the game itself is in stores. I rarely use demos to "try before I buy", I use them as a chance to play the game before it's in stores. Hell, that was my main motivation behind beta testing TDU on PS2. Bought a network adapter and everything for the chance to play the game months before it was in stores, and more than two months before even the 360 version was out.

But, I didn't need a demo for this one. My "demo" was the first LEGO Star Wars. :) And this one is better in almost every respect. I got it for Gamecube, but I figure I own a 360 and I'm playing LSWII, so I can post here if I feel like it.. hehe.

I'm not that far into the game, but has anyone had problems with Obi-Wan and his lightsaber? He seems to miss a lot more than any of the saber-wielding characters from the first game. Almost to the point of being downright useless in a fight with multiple opponents. He's the only Jedi character I've played so far, so I'm not sure if it's a change in gameplay mechanics or that he's just an old man now.
The best way is to double jump and attack. It'll pretty much damage/kill anything around it.

I will probably rent this game for sure. I really liked the movies and played the other lego game and enjoyed it.

I'm not that far into the game, but has anyone had problems with Obi-Wan and his lightsaber? He seems to miss a lot more than any of the saber-wielding characters from the first game.
When you are attacking, don't try to direct (as in pointing the D-pad/Stick) at the *insert thing you are trying to "kill" here*. That way he aims himself. That might help.

i used HAN and LEYA most of the time.
I use Han if there are a bunch of guys around, as I think he shoots a bit faster. He is a must for the "How fast can you get to one million lugs" levels. And as I don't Have Boba yet, Leya in Bounty Hunter garb is a necessity on most levels, as well.

So far, I'm through Story Mode and working on Free Play.

This game is great. I've got the PS2 version. But it's the same game.

My fiancee that doesn't know jack about star wars likes both of these games. She actually beat the first level of ROTJ all by herself. :D

There are some fairly serious puzzles in this one. Much more engaging then the original.

Like TB, I'm through the story mode and working on free play and getting all the minikits and what-not.

TB
I use Han if there are a bunch of guys around, as I think he shoots a bit faster. He is a must for the "How fast can you get to one million lugs" levels.

Actually, I think Greedo is probably best for that, since he has his grenades for the silver objects.

Duċk;2432879
Actually, I think Greedo is probably best for that, since he has his grenades for the silver objects.

I'll have to try that.

But the shooters have an advantage in this game over the Jedi's as far as offense/defense.

What do you guys think?

Duċk;2432879
If I had Gredo, I'd probably agree. :D
But the shooters have an advantage in this game over the Jedi's as far as offense/defense.

What do you guys think?
It's easier to shoot something than to wack it and they can do it from much further away. By the time you get to whatever you just blowed up, the lugs are just waiting for you.

I'll have to try that.

What do you guys think?

Well, the Jedi can't get damaged when they're attacking, and they can deflect bolts.

And heck, the ghost characters can't even get killed, unless you fall into a chasm.

Duċk;2432952
Well, the Jedi can't get damaged when they're attacking, and they can deflect bolts.

And heck, the ghost characters can't even get killed, unless you fall into a chasm.

True on point one. However the accuracy seems to be much lower then the last game.

Ghost characters meaning the ones controlled by the computer?

Ghost characters meaning the ones controlled by the computer?

Nope. Once you complete Story Mode, there's three ghost characters you can buy for Free Play: Ghost Yoda, Ghost Kenobi, and Ghost Anakin. They're more than 1,000,000 studs though.

Duċk;2432965
Nope. Once you complete Story Mode, there's three ghost characters you can buy for Free Play: Ghost Yoda, Ghost Kenobi, and Ghost Anakin. They're more than 1,000,000 studs though.

DAng....I've got some serious work to do then!

I need ghost Obi Wan!

Do youknow what you get for beating the "Super Story"?

Duċk;2432970
A gold block, just like the ones that you get for getting True Jedi in levels, etc...

Oh ok. Excellent. What do you get for all 99 blocks? I'm sure that's posted somewhere else and I'm just being beyond lazy :)

Back