Let's have fewer cars and better cars

Which sorts of cars should be featured more?

• Supercars

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • LMP'S

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Racing GT

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Semi-supercar i.e. GTO Twin Turbo

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Historic /classic cars

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Touring (I.E. BTCC) Cars

Votes: 21 45.7%

• Total voters
Right on! I voted for the "semi-supercar" category to bring it up to equal with the leaders, but in reality I could vote for any of them.

Stupid little "Kei" cars should go BYE-BYE! This game is titled "Gran Turismo: The Real Driving Simulator." Any car that does not have at least 100 horsepower or 100 torque should be eliminated. The U.S. version of the 1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTi is a great baseline car. A car with lower power figures than that should be scrapped.

We all know that Gran Turismo could use more European and American vehicles so I won't elaborate on which ones we should add. I'll just leave it at this- cut the cars out that can't get out of the way of John Deere lawn equipment and give us quicker street and racing cars from the dawn of the automobile to today. 700 cars is enough if the "duplicates" and "slow-pokes" get removed.

I thought the title meant, fewer and better cars, as in more detailed cars or something like that.

I disagree. I like more cars and if PD can fit 10,000 cars in the next GT, I'd like to see them do it. :P But to have fewer selection of cars, strictly because some people didn't like certain cars, I really disagree with. By doing that, you want the GT to be perfect for "you", not caring about what other gamers want. Personally, I hate NASCAR. But I"m not opposed to having NASCAR cars in GT, because unlike other haters, I think more choices are good thing.

I want Gran Turismo to appeal to the large fanbase it has, not just to one group of fans.

They can put in whatever they want as long as there's a place to race them. Or until they let you strap a jet engine on your Pao so you can take it to the GTWC.

Hey guess what!
NO ONE forces you to buy those slower cars. If you have to use them to get 100%, use 'em, then sell 'em.

Simple as that.

Keep the cars now, but include a little more of the semi-supercar and supercars.

NSX-R
Get rid of most of the GTRs and get me the ENR34!

Hear! Hear!

I'd like to see some more Aussie cars and utes, as well as more dedicated track-day cars (e.g.: Caterhams, Westfields, Radicals, maybe even the T-Rex and Grinnall).

Definitely more historicals, the original Lotus Elite, Jaguar XK, and more European super-minis. The Lancia Fulvia, some Bugattis, the Morgan ( :P )...

And a bigger variety of Japanese cars... I don't think we have too many Japanese cars in the game... I think we just have too many of some particular models. I would love to see one stock 4-door ENR34 and one R34 GT-R instead of a R34 GT-R, R34 GT-R Vspec II, R34 GT-R M-Spec, R34 GT-R Vspec II Nur, etc....

plus more oddball cars. The Tank Car is well and truly interesting, but I'd like to see a dragster in the game again, as well as the previously mentioned Sprint Cars... though how GT will model the traction effects of three to four different tire sizes on one car is beyond me.

McLaren F1GTR
Hey guess what!
NO ONE forces you to buy those slower cars. If you have to use them to get 100%, use 'em, then sell 'em. ...
Hey, guess what!? Whether I like the cars or not they take up space on the media that Gran Turismo comes out on. This is space that some people would like to see used for other things. People gripe about the lack of some features, yet if some cars could make the sacrifice in the name of space on the media, it would be easier for the game developers to put other features in the game.

Put in fewer cars, the current number of 700 in GT4 is fine, but make them of slightly higher quality. The developers should find a higher baseline car and only bring in cars that are faster than it.

That's a riot.

You do realize GT4 hardly took up the full amount of disc space, right?
PD could have easily kept 700 cars and added other things.

McLaren F1GTR
That's a riot.

Especially on GT5, which most likely will be on blu-ray DVDs, disc space shouldn't be an issue. It's more of P.D.'s time and manpower, IMO.

Again, I can't believe some people are actually asking P.D. to put in only cars they like. I'm not against adding new variety of cars, but to subtracting variety of cars doesn't make any sense to me.

duke_toaster
Right. More money at the start, enough to buy an Impreza or an evo. Any car slower than this should be eliminated. Also. mclaren f1

I'd rather have less money - gives you more of a challenge, will encourage more people to either

A-Get gold on licences to win good cars
B-Stop overpowering everycar in a race, its too easy to go to the tuning shop and buy a stage 4 turbo off the shelf!

"Slow" cars have a reason for being there.

It's so people can drive THEIR cars.

How many racing games are there out there where you can actually drive and race, competitively, a Ford Ka? The Ford Ka is the 4th most popular car on sale in the UK.

Anything "slower" than "an Impreza" should be cut? Which Impreza? The 1.6? The 2.0 sport? The turbo which can do 0-60mph in 6.0s and only 124mph due to close gearing, or the one which can do 0-60mph in 4.2s and limited to 155mph?

The average car on sale in the UK has a 0-60mph time of 10.5s and a top speed of 115mph. This only SEEMS slow in a computer game because you have no concept of inertia (or any forces, as it happens) and are probably used to a 240mph Minolta.

GT4 is, and always has been, about driving normal road cars on the track. I don't care if it's a 21s 0-60mph FIAT Panda or a 3s 0-60mph Caterham CSR. It's a car I can buy easily and see daily.

Famine
GT4 is, and always has been, about driving normal road cars on the track. I don't care if it's a 21s 0-60mph FIAT Panda or a 3s 0-60mph Caterham CSR. It's a car I can buy easily and see daily.[/color][/b]

well said! 👍

I'm completely with a6m 5, just because you don't like a car doesn't maen it doesn't have the right to be in the game. I love driving some of the slower cars, I had a riot with my fully tuned 2CV. Not fast at all, but fun to drive on a narrow twisty track, it's fun to rally as well.

And Famine, I agree with that, I like the idea of driving eveyday cars as well as cars I can't afford.

McLaren F1GTR
That's a riot.

That's fine and dandy, and I realize that GT4 barely took up the the full amount of disc space. However, as Gran Turismo progresses and as more features, items, and options get inserted, space will become important. The answer to this issue could be multi-layer DVD media, but then cost factors in.

I simply feel that a game titled, "Gran Turismo" should have more to do with cars quicker than a John Deere tractor. When I think of "Gran Turismo" I think of cars like old Ferraris, Pontiac's GTO, and full out prototypes. I don't think of low power cars that can double as a cart inside of grocery stores. Maybe my thing is that I don't live in a country where we have many sub-100 horsepower vehicles. Gran Turismo could have the vast majority of cars from the U.S. in it and I'd be fine with that.

My father ruined me by starting me off with his rare muscle car (User ID) to drive in High School. Brief summary: it's a fiberglass bodied Paxton supercharged 5.0L. I have always had that urge for power. Before you ask, my Rabbit isn't stock either but it's built to cut canyons on asphalt... my other love.

The answer is Blue-Ray, PS3 uses Blue-Ray disks space on disk will not become an issue. Gran Turismo doesn't mean fast cars only, Kaz's ultimate goal is to include as many and as diverse a range of cars as possible, and it's a goal I'd like to see achieved. If GT featured mostly US cars, YOU might be fine, I wouldn't along with plenty of other people.

live4speed
If GT featured mostly US cars, YOU might be fine, I wouldn't along with plenty of other people.
Oh yeah, I understand that view. I was trying to explain why I'm not used to cars sub 80 horsepower. We also drive torquey in the states... it's all about stoplight wars. Other countries have smooth, paved highways with no speed limit other than "reasonable and customary." Those places of the world get to use their upper RPM power more frequently.

The problem with the Impreza cut-off is that there are a lot of "driver's cars" that are below that... like the Alpina, the Miata, the baseline Elise... heck, even some of the muscle cars.

If Schumacher can enjoy himself wringing out his real-life Fiat 500R, who are we to say it's ****ty. Granted, we could have more variety and less of certain specific cars, I think horsepower should not be the issue.

You'll notice there are a lot of slower cars that DON'T get into the game... you won't notice any Nissan Sentras, Chevy Cavaliers or any recent/current Corollas. If they put in small cars that are pathetic horse-wise, it's for a reason, it's because, in some small way, people found them enjoyable to drive.

Good point about the title "gran turismo"... but the only tracks in the game that reflect the spirit of gran turismo are the Ring and Sarthe...

Actually, I'd love to see more econoboxes in the game. Sentra SE-R would fun to race against Civics and Foci(;)).

I haven't voted yet, but as "McLaren F1GTR" said, you aren't forced to race cars you don't really like. Having said that, I think there's an even balance among production cars you can take to the track in GT4. But if I had to choose, I'd probably put in more race cars. Because after all, it's all about the racing. This is even if your car isn't a Koenigsegg of some sort. Even machines that don't really seem favorable for racing should have some sort of crack at the bat in terms of racing machines.

Sure, getting rid of all the Kei cars and mini cars can get pretty boring. Gran Turismo was always about people having all sorts of dream cars. Keep in mind that not everyone wants supercars all the time. Some peoples' dream cars can be something like Mini Coopers and Daihatsu Moves. I remember hating on the Suzuki Wagon RR until "Chaser_fan" was like "don't hate on the RR. I own one." You have to remember that you don't need a car with a 6-figure price tag to enjoy driving. If you completely get rid of Kei cars, first thing, most of Japanese people won't be able to enjoy racing their daily driver or their favorite car (in the sense that the car is a mini or compact of some sort). Gran Turismo isn't Need for Speed in the sense of racing high-dollar and high-performance sports cars. Gran Turismo features sports cars and supercars, but to keep things level so that people can race not just super-fast cars, OF COURSE you'd include the smaller cars. You do that to have a sense of balance among what kinds of cars you want to race with. Maybe it's just me, but how can you appreciate all sorts of automobiles if all you race are sports cars and exotics? There's a reason why there are the less powerful and slower cars.

Want to claim your points a bit further on the second paragraph, why not let your feelings come out in my most recent GT5 thread:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67136

Not on poll: More practical cars like stuff common on the roads. (both american and european)

Not on poll: More practical cars like stuff common on the roads. (both american and european)
I agree. I want more Japanese regular cars too though. How did P.D. leave out '85 Maxima, '98 Accord and '04 Altima I'll never know. :D

Well, the assumption in this thread is that practical cars and compacts are only distracting people from racing real sports cars and exotics. We have to count out the people who want their practical daily drivers their own dream race cars. That's the assumption here. Yeah. Only sports cars. Screw daily drivers. Screw nimble race machines (even the Caterham Fireblade). It's only a game for bigtime sports cars and 200mph down the Hunadieres. That's the assumption here, I guess.

Back