GTDesigned: A Community Vision GT Project

We'll going to add a series of poll for 3 days, for now the layout

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, the actual car wouldn't be made by Lego, so the mechanism can be made a lot more compact and subtle :) I'm thinking a system of wires could be used, it would connect nicely to the maritime theme

Fair point, that could look quite good.

Heres a sketch of the back of the car I have an idea for. Its small because I drew it on a business card while working the register lol.

Its really rough but I got my idea down enough that I could fix it up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 42
Awesome! Looks we got yet another designer on board 👍
Thank you! That means a lot! I can picture new design ideas perfectly in my head but have a hard time drawing them. Its rather frustrating. Ive had this really futuristic idea for a car that I believe would be perfect for this application. Ill see if I can get it down on paper

A bit of a crappy week for me as my HDD on my laptop died. Unfortunately I've lost all my digital artwork, including anything related to VGT drawings (workable PSD files). Anyway, Good news is, that I can now run Blender (3D model stuff), on my new laptop, so hopefully once I get some practice in i'll be able to contribute on that level too.

Did this really rough sketch earlier, it combines the Road-Regatta and the Roto-Fighter. :lol: I know it's pretty crappy but it reminds me of a aerodynamic Caterham, and pretty much shares that layout (Front engine FR) but with downforce. It's hard to beat the chassis/steering feedback of a Caterham, plus it's light as a feather. Combine that with a nice small rotary unit, and it kind of make sense as a possible VGT solution (imo).

One of the strangest things I remember reading about is, some students in Japan made a car with vibrating fibre optic bristles instead of wheels. It was very slow though. :lol:

[edit]

May have been a Toyota design competition amongst their employees.

I think it would be cool to have a small slit along the front underside of the fromt splitter and have a fan sucking air through that. Slits could also be placed along the sides of the car and that way, air never gets to reach the underside of the car. I believe this could be much more effective than the traditional suction in the middle, underneath car.

The point is to get more air under the car to increase downforce. Taking air away would harm the car, the only exception would be by adding a suction fan, but that would require a redesign that eliminates the tunnel.

Some additions to increase downforce for the current design might be a thin panel like wing under the leading edge of the central airfoil to use the front stagnation to push the car into the ground.

A bit of a crappy week for me as my HDD on my laptop died. Unfortunately I've lost all my digital artwork, including anything related to VGT drawings (workable PSD files). Anyway, Good news is, that I can now run Blender (3D model stuff), on my new laptop, so hopefully once I get some practice in i'll be able to contribute on that level too.

Did this really rough sketch earlier, it combines the Road-Regatta and the Roto-Fighter. :lol: I know it's pretty crappy but it reminds me of a aerodynamic Caterham, and pretty much shares that layout (Front engine FR) but with downforce. It's hard to beat the chassis/steering feedback of a Caterham, plus it's light as a feather. Combine that with a nice small rotary unit, and it kind of make sense as a possible VGT solution (imo).

Wait I know this one...

tf13.jpg
:D

I read an article in the newspaper a few days ago about the Swincar Spider. Thought it would be relevant to the discussion here, since we're talking about tilting wheels and such.

The Swincar is all about mobility though, rather than high speed performance. Take a look:

I just thought of something.

What if we had a car that could change it's own body shape and form?

Take the BMW GINA, for example.

6a00d8341e286453ef0120a55b4758970c-650wi

The GINA has a body that can open itself to expose certain parts, like the engine, headlights, etc.

What if we used technology like that, but used it to adjust aerodynamics on a car actively on a road?

, but used it to adjust aerodynamics on a car actively on a road?

GINA featured moving rear aero also, 1:19 in the video:

I always thought this would be the best application for the tech, but I do wonder how effect it would be as the material would distort more, the higher the aero load.

I read an article in the newspaper a few days ago about the Swincar Spider. Thought it would be relevant to the discussion here, since we're talking about tilting wheels and such.

The Swincar is all about mobility though, rather than high speed performance. Take a look:

The 'Pendulum tilt curve' is exactly how I imagine the Road Regatta would've cornered, albeit without the ground effect wing.

Fire in the hole !!!!

I've an amazing idea !

What about a short and important contest for a testcase in this thread, but also for (possibly) changing the way of motorsports with this small amount of racing enhousiastics and people who can get inspired by fast ferry boats, I think we could work this out together, testing our community and helping on a important topic !

Challenge ; We will work together to a working/animated idea about motorsports and protection of racing drivers and fellow racing drivers.

Justin Wilson, passed away this week at age of 38 , far to young in a freak accident. Allthough racing always needs to be dangerous otherwise it'snot racing anymore, nobody likes to see those drivers passing away time after time.
Insn't it a good idea to combine our fantasy, vision and inspiration to help our fellow drivers in the real world for thinking about a decent good working (and well thought) project for saving their lifes/bodies/heads in future accidents?

We could use this thread, the thread about FIA that would tested with closed cockpits or open a new one to set up a short contest for thinking, designing and working out the best idea for all kinds of single seaters. For us in this thread it could also mean this could be a feature for our future VGT, but far more important, by letting the F1 world know how fans of motorsports thinking about this huge problem and how to solve it?!

Short schedule I've in mind !

By the end of the second week of septembre their should be a poll for the best (realistic) ideas for protection, with pro's and con's for each idea. By the end of Sept. 'we' need a designer like Nessy, Eran or someone else who can draw the idea into good sketches for the next stage; 3D design and animation !

For what I believe, I think it's not neccessary to have a full permanent head protection on the single seater cars, closed cockpits could be dangerous also by rollover and landing upside down. I'm more into the idea of creating a system that could actually work temporaly and only be activated by driver, sytem or safetymarshalls that could react in a blink of an eye and activate the sudden cockpits.

By the end of this F1 season we could have our final model & presentation and maybe there's something to learn about. For us or for the FIA or both ways. I have to look in my agenda, but I hope I can find soon enough a free F1 or Indy model for this idea.

This could be working, isnt it :) For Dan, for Justin, for Henry... No more freak accidents please !

That's actually a great idea @YukinoSuzuka with that we actually have an objective. We lost too much drivers due to head injury, Justin, Jules, Henry, Dan. What do you guys think? Cause it's all up to the whole community

The obvious idea would be a permanent canopy cockpit - like a Fighter jet. if you wish to retain open wheel but make it safer. This should prevent penetration of the cockpit area from smaller bits of debris. Maybe deflect a larger object away from the driver.

But if a crash happens it may make extraction harder if the canopy release gets fouled.

Maybe an inflatable puncture resistant driver cocoon - but this will turn the driver into a passenger if he/she can't see where they are going or manipulate the wheel and it is obviously a last resort thing.

Outstanding idea @YukinoSuzuka , and i think i have an idea already that covers the
dangers of debris hitting the driver while driving, and the easy safe way of removing the cockpit.

What we need is a sliding cockpit.A cockpit that would only be removed by sliding it forwards after
removing the clamps inside.So purely mechanical solution.
While driving, the cockpit is pushed backwards, but when braking, the clamps should hold them in place.
But after the race or a crash the cockpit should be easily removed by pushing it forward.
cockpit.JPG

Back