GTDesigned: A Community Vision GT Project

We'll going to add a series of poll for 3 days, for now the layout

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, with this post I'll release my own idea, where I had at the same time to share it in this thread and discuss about other innovations to melt hopefully an amount of all the ideas into 1 single project, just like we'd in mind with the VGT, but faster and more basic, as a training/internship for the VGT in the longer future, but now to think and share are thoughts about this topic is big again after the fatal crash of Justin Wilson.

Temporary Protection Unit

The most of us know the change F1 was going through in 1995 & 1996 according the death of Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberg in 1994, the drivers position was more protected by the higher 'shoulders' paralell to their shoulders and heads.
I don't know the right word, but I call them shoulders, meaning these upstanding and detachable body parts above the sidepods.

P000Fade.jpg

I think there could be a system that uses these shoulders for an 'invissible' look and when the occasion arrives, they could collapse to eachother where a cocon would be created with double hinged arms, positioned just aside the drivers head and arms. At the end of these arms there is some sort of 1/4 elipsed bow (kind off profile that a closed cockpit should have) that would connect them together. When the two 1/2 cockpit-ish parts are rised in a second, they are forming a unit of 5 or 6 piles of protection for the driver. This all engineered with hydraulics and such, whatever the solution will be, it's allways disadvantage for the weight of the cars.

The activation is very simple (I think). When a driver is goining of track, the automatic yellow flag warning system is activated and for everybody to be seen there's someone of track. It isn't necessary to activate this system by every yellow flag system, but only if there are certain high speeds and/or high G-forces measured by the drivers car and gps. The driver who's getting off track to fast or with to many G's, will be automatically activated the system and all of his fellow drivers directly behind him, because that what's happened to Surtees, Bianchi and now Wilson. A driver is also free to activate this protection system, like in indycars, it's a split second and you can't trust the automatic release and drivers of single seaters have mostly a perfect hand-eye-reaction to be faster than the automatic activation itselfs.

Sadly no time this week to draw something out in Sketchup or Rhino, hopefully the idea is clear enough to understand? :)

Last edited:
That's a cool idea Yukino. 👍

I had an idea earlier. I don't know whether it's been thought of before (probably has already).

The main principal of the idea is deflection/altering the route of the of the incoming object. I haven't given it much thought really, but I think if the system was activated by a collapsible antenna, which if hit is connected to firing pins which shoot pivoted arms (either side of the nose/cockpit) down parallel rails- which in turn lock into a position (forming an acute angle), which in turn pivots the deflector shield upwards.

Really quick pic: Kind of explains what i'm on about. I also have another idea along the same principals, but i need to work it out.

That's a cool idea Yukino. 👍

I had an idea earlier. I don't know whether it's been thought of before (probably has already).

The main principal of the idea is deflection/altering the route of the of the incoming object. I haven't given it much thought really, but I think if the system was activated by a collapsible antenna, which if hit is connected to firing pins which shoot pivoted arms (either side of the nose/cockpit) down parallel rails- which in turn lock into a position (forming an acute angle), which in turn pivots the deflector shield upwards.

Really quick pic: Kind of explains what i'm on about. I also have another idea along the same principals, but i need to work it out.

Nice idea, but what happens when a car noses into the barrier all on it's own, if it came to it and the force pushing out couldn't push out, it might push in instead, not to mention what might happen in a serious crash like Kubica's at Canada.. no need to trigger the system but when if it blew the nose of the car apart on impact, again, anything pushing out, would also push in.

Reaction time is also another question.

Indeed, all of them are important questions.

The way i'm seeing it is, is that it could only ever collapse on itself (or at least, that's what i'd like to believe), if the opposing force was too great for it to ever open. Any explosive charge device, would explode outwardly from the cockpit, with built-in structural weaknesses to the chambers.

Would be worth comparing it to Airbag trigger times I think. The flap would have to be strong enough to deflect, not just shatter, it may weigh a bit if it's not CF, it's already likely to be pushing against heavy airflow, and it will have to move damned fast.

It's a bit like the active pedestrian safety systems on modern SUV's, so in theory it might work though.

Thought i'd work on a VGT idea I had recently. I've only done this slightly polished sketch so far, but when I get a chance, i'll do some more sketches that explain it a bit more.

Anyway. There were quite a few things that inspired this idea, so a few pics/posts.

cgg
Here's an idea of mine, but I'm not a great drawer. It's meant to be narrower at th back than the front, like an inverted delta wing. Rear wheel drive, front steer, mid engine.
Cardesign1_zpsacaa3557.jpeg

Ryk
**Warning Heath Robinson design idea discovered in post***

Could the rear wheels not be on pivoting arms - that swings out wide when you need to do some of that pesky cornering but then swing back nice and tight all slipstream for the low CoD rating that gets the top speed.

The act of deploying the rear wheels would also act as an air brake and put alot more Weight at the back of the car - so it would slow down faster and with more stability than standard fixed wheel reversed trike style.

Also it would lower the wheelbase as you moved to cornering (So better turning) but when you return to High speed swept back wheels the wheelbase would be much longer so much more straight line stability.

These, I felt were quite interesting ideas if you added them together with some other things.

For example:

Toyota-Future-Mobility-Concepts-2.jpg

renault-twizy-f1-action-2.jpg

DRIFT-SCOOTER-BLACK.jpg

I've tried to incorporate many of the ideas seen above, into one design. In doing so, i'd like to think the 'Banana-mite' (well, it looks like a banana), would be a vision of what it would look like, if we designed a concepty race version, of a Daihatsu Midget II.

daihatsu-midget-II.jpg

:lol:

Seriously, (as i'm sure some of you will know) they can be great fun to race.

Just imagine it, with a triple rotary small capacity engine (1.2 maybe), mid-mounted of course.
A central diffuser/undertray that always stays level (while other components move).
Hydraulic torsion rear suspension/swing arms, mated to hydraulic reciprocating (and universal jointed) drive shafts.
Now add a cross between an (almost vertical) upright driving position but in a Le mans/ F1 stlye seat. The entire cockpit tilts slightly side-to-side when cornering. ..Along with the scissoring of the rear swing arms, and side tilting cantilevered front steering wheels. All while keeping the central floor/diffuser and engine level to the road, by use of clever hydraulics. The rear swing arms can be pushed together to create a more teardrop aero shape.. Although. This design doesn't pay that much attention to aero, it focuses more on fun than going flat-out fast, with more of an emphasis on cornering feel, and close racing fun.

Banana-mite:

It reminds me a bit of a miniature Renn Truck. Or 'Renn-Kei'. :D

Last edited:
Honestly, everybody's going like "Oh how cool can we make this" or "how futuristic can we make this" but I think we should go back to the basics. Make a simple car. Engine up front, power to the back.

Honestly, everybody's going like "Oh how cool can we make this" or "how futuristic can we make this" but I think we should go back to the basics. Make a simple car. Engine up front, power to the back.
Namely because we don't have a lead on what the car should be.

Anybody are still liking this project?

Our FB page is very active at the moment and it says that people like us are still interested in the Community VGT ! @Nessy , @eran0004 and other designers, are you in to contribute on the FB page of this project ? :) You've already invites from @LosCules24SFA ;)

For other designers and future participants, be quick.. It is very possible this project will continue 'under the radar' ! ;):sly:

I do have a Facebook account but haven't used it in a while (not a big fan of FB), but I may give it a little look. To be honest though, i'm not sure I agree with conducting the project on FB as it part-way excludes the GTPlanet community (not all GTP'ers are fans of or use FB). I admit, it's nice having an air of mystery surrounding the concepts, but I think i'd like the approach to be more community focused/inclusive, than top secret, but that's just my opinion. 👍

I am still here as well but I do not use FB and I'm not really sure that I contribute enough to count anyhow. Nonetheless I'll be here to observe anything that gets posted here, if anything.

It is possible 'we' launch a PHP based forum for this project. @LosCules24SFA had reacted to this idea on the FB page and with this solution members and non-FB users are also able to contribute in this projct.
Like you said, @Nessy , yes, we've t find a way of both directions. It has to stay as a community/focussed approach, but I still don't like the idea everything is open and we can't reveal a car that's allready given with all the opinions and contributions that are given. There should be sometwing, somehow a kind of mistery what the car would look like at the release date.. Next weekend I'll probably try to make the first part of a bigger and better poll, with multiple choise and open questions. Including some concepts/drawings from this thread and the ideas we've given so far.

And like LosCules has said on the FB too, I think we have to think about to make this project more of our own. Not to forget this project started on GTplanet, but probably we reach more attention and so more people for contribution the project and the poll(s) for a better view the GT-fans wants to see in a VGT !

Creating a forum assigned for this project would be a great gathering point for all the people
who would hear or see about the project.
Right now, if someone want's to see what "GTP VGT" is he/she/they have to navigate through out this thread.

A small website with all the information, media and other content would be much better.

I'm not involved in this, but I think it would be best if those participating would just go ahead and pick a basic design.

Hmm .. very early to say, but maybe you're right. Like the fact most of us in this thread are agreed that the kei-car sized supercar is the best idea for the community VGT.. Maybe it isn't a bad thing to choose this type of car anyway and then the community will choose the best options/design-language for the future VGT.

?

Good afternoon or evening everyone! Depending on your timezone.

As you might already know, we're planning on establishing our own little forum for this project in order for us to work.

The team in our Facebook group have decided to set a 24 Hr Deadline to collect as much forum name as possible to be put into poll to decide the rightful name of our forum.

So guys we ask for your help to suggest and decide a great name for us because this could decide the fate of OUR project!

To everyone whose already part of this your suggestion will be much appreciated!

Last edited:
@LosCules24SFA , Kem Brown and I've talked a bit and it's not a good idea to put Vision GT in ouw forum/project name, because of linceses and so on.

If you want to think with us and know a great name for the poll tommorow, please share it with us, but keep it simple (not to long) and to the point. A couple of ideas we've already (I won't tell who's ideas, just the names) :

- Design Turismo
- GT-CommuniCon (shortened from 'concept')
- GT Community Concepts
- Visioned

Please add more ideas.. !

What is this Facebook you speak of? Is it like Six Degrees?

- Vision Gran Turismo Player Special - ビジョングランツーリスモプレーヤースペシャル・

"This if for the players" is the PlayStation tag line of the last few years, So Vision Gran Turismo Player Special seems mediocre enough to say,
"(A Vision Gran Turismo)...of the players, by the players, for the players."
The American's may enjoy the throwback to Honest Abe.

Be excellent to each other, and... party on, dudes.

Back