Lewis Hamilton TT, worth the money or not?

• Thread starter Pearl Jam
  • 185 comments

Is it worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 187 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 72 27.8%

• Total voters
I had fun getting the “Beat Zico” and “Zone Zeus” trophies in WipEout HD Fury, so I can see myself being interested in the somewhat similar challenge that’s presented here. When it comes to racing games, I really prefer something like this, an “objective” challenge, over a challenge like the trophies and acheivements for poles/wins/consecutive clean races, which seem to largely rely on the makeup of the multiplayer ecosystem and not a “fixed” level of skill.

Another way I see this, is that there’s a singular time to beat at Brands Hatch to get the Diamond reward and thus beat LH. But when racing online, on that same course, the time to get pole can wildly vary through no fault of your own, and so the required amount of skill needed to get these trophies is not objective, and instead varies from player to player. Those “acheivements” and “trophies” may as well be luck-based, with not much difference from a hypothetical trophy that would ask you to get put into a lobby where everyone is using the same car.

In contrast, I feel like getting all the diamond times would make for a better-designed gold trophy in GTS. Maybe getting those trophies/acheivements for poles/wins/consecutive clean races was easier when the races were actually every day, but I’m not sure.

Last edited:
If Sony/PD want to monetise Gran Turismo without splitting the userbase. They need to double down on the mileages store. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the original plan. But they where obliged to concentrate on new, free, car/track additions.

I’d pay for extra wheels, wings, splitters, steering wheels, roll cage etc. Could also add different helmets, suits, windscreen banners etc. Purely cosmetic stuff.
I think they should have done the same thing they did with cars in PS store except reverse use in game credit to buy TT download; seems fair to me.

Last edited:
not really worth it but i got the game for $25 and i play it a LOT so i handed over the money... if PD have more money then hopefully it will support more content (more gr1/2/3/4 cars please, forget the n classes!)

Well worth it for me considering I play GTSport a lot. Yeah it's a bit tougher than the licences but bronze is pretty easy for regular GT players, and at 100K credits that must be close to about a million for bronzing all of them. More fun than grinding too.

At first I thought this was just paying real money for in game credits, so I was opposed to the principle, but then curiosity got the better of me.

After having so far golded 6 and diamonded 2, I guess I’m at the very point where this DLC has its sweet spot. The goal is probably achievable, but I have to work for it by shaving off tenth by tenth over hours.

The last time that a GT game made me feel this way, was the GT Academy qualifier with the 370Z at Motegi.

I voted no on this one.

I was lucky to get the 20m Alpha on my birthday, so I might be biased because of that. But I don't see what I would need 100m for in this game. The Lewis Hamilton VGT looks cool, but there will be no daily race where I would be able to use it. And most of the cars they add to this game are cheap road cars, so no need to save really. So to me it just becomes another unrewarding feature in the game.

I get the challenge side of it, and that may lead to me getting it down the road. But killing endless hours just to beat a lap time isn't that appealing to me.

Did he? That's my only problem with this DLC, how do we know that Lewis set it.

Suspend your disbelief and pretend he did, even if there's a possibility he didn't.:P

Well worth it for me considering I play GTSport a lot. Yeah it's a bit tougher than the licences but bronze is pretty easy for regular GT players, and at 100K credits that must be close to about a million for bronzing all of them. More fun than grinding too.

We're about the same pace and I grabbed a couple of golds. Pull your finger out man!:lol:

Still recovering from 4 hours of hot lapping on the first day so I might jump on the pad for a few of the others.

I would say yes, purely because PD deserve it after all of their hard work delivering us free content.

I might not be able to diamond every circuit, but I don't care about that, I'll have fun trying.

I've done it purely to thank PD for their work.

. . .

We're about the same pace . . .

Yeah, on the straights :lol:

Still recovering from 4 hours of hot lapping on the first day so I might jump on the pad for a few of the others.

I started on Brands Hatch where you guys on my friends list made it look easy, after about ten attempts to get around turn one I crawled through it and crossed the finish line shaking for bronze, I spent half of last week hot lapping Brands Indy in a Honda Civic that turned better.
I'll stop crying and get back at it soon though :cool:👍

I loved it... despite not having my wheel and having to do it with the pad. Probably the only real challenge in GTS... emotionally, reminded me of license tests in the earlier versions of the game... initial enjoyment, followed by lots of frustration, followed by joy :)

Only golds for me, but the prize money did allow me to pick up a couple of cars I really wanted - The D Type and the 250 SWB.

Sorry everyone but I have to disagree and say this is just PD doing what they do best - and that's 'taking the piss'.

£6.50 to have a go at winning 100+m credits, ummmm, nope.

After putting up with GT5 prologue, the nightmare that was GT5, the absolute joke that was GT6 and now Esports prologue for the PS4, PD should be showing a bit of gratitude to their long suffering supporters - how about giving us the 125m credits for free?

Of course not, why should PD show a bit of gratitude to their long standing supporters, you know what, let's try to rinse some more cash out of them....

A few weeks ago I got a brand new, sealed copy of Battlefield 5 for £14.99 off a large national retailer, now PD wants me to pay £6.50 (nearly half of what I paid for a full game) for a chance of getting a load credits and cars we already got (or very similiar variations of)?

We have had to grind incessantly for months to get most of the 15-20m credit cars, now we have to grind (for what is going to be extremely difficult for 90-95% of players to achieve) another challenge and have to pay for this 'pleasure'.

Ohhhhhhh hells no......and once again....PD are taking the piss and showing they really don't understand (or care about) they're long standing (and suffering) supporters...

Suck my plumbs Kaz.
I'm off to the £14.99 Pacific to smack people over the head with a shovel 👍 💡 👍 - now that is value for money :bowdown:
Well I happen to love all the Gran Turismos. Sorry you don't like them and good thing there is Battlefield for you. As for grinding for credits you don't have too. Just do the Premium Sports Lounge under the Professional League. Use the XBow at N300. Racing Hards on the front and Super Softs on the back and easy on the turns. You can win in that car against the N1000's. Payout is $250,000 for 12 to 15 minutes of racing. 1 Million per hour. Fastest way I know to make money in GT Sport.

As for the DLC...I'm OK with the charge. I'm sure Lewis wanted to be paid for his time so for me it's cheap enough at $7.99 US.

Then let's say that the next FIA official series starts with a race at Grand Valley, but most people don't have it...

This is what "splitting the user base" means - it creates two (or more) populations, where one (the largest) has none of the DLC and can no longer take part, and one (the smallest) has all of it and is the only one that can continue to take part.

The FIA races would become a ghost town, where you'd literally have to pay the $40 to be able to continue to take part in FIA, and these events become pay-to-attend. They'd end up with D-ranked drivers qualifying simply through being one of the three people in their country that's bought the DLC, and the live events become a joke as the four morons who qualified by buying the track pack plough through everyone in turn one, and the decent guys wonder what the point even is any more.

This is why you won't see paid car/track packs.
Maybe they could do it the way Project Cars 1 did and as long as the host had the track or car pack it let everyone in the lobby race the track and cars too. I thought that was a cool feature. Plus it let me try those cars and tracks which I liked some of and then I bought it as well.

The payouts alone make this DLC worth the money. I've already been able to acquire the D-Type and the Mark IV GT40 off the back of this challenge. The GT40 is the first 20 million dollar I've ever purchased in Gran Turismo!

I used to pay £8 for the privilege of being repeatedly shot in the face on new maps on Modern Warfare, so a little less for a challenge like this is fine by me. Holding that carrot out as a target for the times is far more interesting than just time trialling by yourself and the difficulty is really what you should expect. He's a multiple F1 world champion for Christ's sake!

It's fair to say not everyone will get value from it, but it's good to see something that's a challenge for some of the better players for once rather than a walkover for the majority, and for the improvers (like me :D) you get to learn the tracks properly. I now know that the first turn at Big Willow is a left hander... (seriously, 🤬 Big Willow!) and think I've finally figured out how best to take T5 at Maggiore!

So yes, to me it's worth it

(Would be good if they added your 'car record' optimal time to the display though)

Last edited:
Hadn't started the game after the update, so I did yesterday and immediately bought this DLC as well.
I have to say it is so much harder than I had thought, which is a good thing. Going for gold seems to be the goal suitable to me, as Hamilton is so fast and smooth through the corners.
I really love the payout and that was definitely one of the key aspects for me to buy it.
Now if there were no credit awards for completing each challenge, I don't think I would have paid for it, would you?

I think then we just have different definitions of "very large portion" then. 72% of the player base is DR D, 15% is DR C. I don't think many DR C/D players are going to get all gold, personally.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be difficult, but I very much disagree with the notion that although it's really hard, most people can achieve good rewards from it.
Dr is measure of how well you do in sport mode races only, so you really can't use that as a measure of who can gold or diamond. I see plenty of e rated drivers on top in campaign mode.

Dr is measure of how well you do in sport mode races only, so you really can't use that as a measure of who can gold or diamond. I see plenty of e rated drivers on top in campaign mode.

It's the closest thing there is to a judge of skill in the game though. IIRC DR E applies to those that don't use sport mode at all, and obviously there are going to be quick drivers out there that don't play sport mode, but if you have interacted with sport mode, I think you'll see strong correlation between DR and Silver/Gold/Diamond times.

I've been playing GT since gt1 and imho this is the most challenging content yet and well worth the price of a couple of coffees. I'd love to see diamond levels added to all the campaign modes.
PS: As a matter of fact, my coffee tab while playing this is already twice what I paid for it and I'm not done yet.

Last edited:
I've been playing GT since gt1 and imho this is the most challenging content yet and well worth the price of a couple of coffees. I'd love to see diamond levels added to all the campaign modes.
PS: As a matter of fact, my coffee tab while playing this is already twice what I paid for it and I'm not done yet.
More challenging than the Vettel X2010 Challenge from GT5?

More challenging than the Vettel X2010 Challenge from GT5?
I just watched a replay of that on YouTube and I don't recall spending an overt amount of time on it. I do recall the slr/nordshleif challange, that took a while, and that seems comparable to me.

I've not bought it, as from what I've seen it's not worth it IMHO. I've never liked time trails anyway, it's one of my least favourite aspects of the game.

VBR
I've not bought it, as from what I've seen it's not worth it IMHO. I've never liked time trails anyway, it's one of my least favourite aspects of the game.
If you don't like TT's, definitely not for you!

It's a different TT though. This one isn't about who cheated on whatever final chicane. It's more one on one. Sure, if a player has friends, they can see their times, but it's you vs Lewis.

This is nearly a tutorial. For me, it goes beyond I have to beat him. It's more about how close can I get to him. That said, the physics are the real challenge. It's totally worth it if one can adapt to the cars in the DLC. If a player is intimidated, go with your instinct. If a player wants a challenge, look no further. This coming from a player that said he wasn't going to buy it.

Other players' Time Trial replays & ghosts were already available for viewing & chasing in-game, but there were no awards for doing so. This DLC just gives me a nice incentive (big jackpot) to be a ghost-buster, which gives me a chance to (hopefully) finally acquire & drive some of the game's most expensive classic cars (like the Ferrari 330 P4, the Shelby Daytona Coupe, & a few others) without eternally grinding campaign/AI races for tens-of-millions of credits.

I tackled Nordschleife first since it's the longest course and because I've always struggled at Nordschleife in every racing game/sim I've played, so I wanted to get my worst nightmare out of the way first, hoping everything else will feel less daunting after that. It took me a great many attempts over a few sessions/days to finally get diamond at Nordschleife (barely a couple tenths faster than Lewis). One down, nine more to go. I've begun my battle against Mount Panorama and I hit the gold time, but I've still got my work cut out for me to get diamond at Bathurst.

I've got a B driver rating and an S safety/sportsmanship rating in Sport Mode, I'm using a standard first-party DS4 gamepad (thumbstick steering) with manual transmission, chase cam, steering sensitivity at 7 (max), ABS on default, TCS at 2 (in the AMG GT3 & Sauber C9, not on every car), no ASM, no CSA, & no driving line overlay... So if anyone is wondering if mere mortals have any hope of hitting diamond times in these time trials with a controller, I'd say yes - if you're determined & persistent. If I'm lucky, I expect it might take me at least a couple weeks to get all 10 diamonds.

5 things I'm not thrilled about:

• I feel like the AMG GT3 & Sauber C9 have a lot of understeer & weak brakes

• the name & flag banner hovering over Lewis' ghost car almost totally blocks my view (in chase cam) sometimes when I'm very close to the ghost car (I've been using the ghost offset option to put Lewis at least a half-second further out in front of me just so I can keep that banner out of my face)

• the 1-lap-at-a-time format breaks my flow, making me repeatedly wait through restarts after every lap (I'd prefer continuous uninterrupted hot-lapping until I manually choose to exit/quit, just like in the game's other Time Trial modes)

• the in-game "driving tips from Lewis Hamilton" videos offer no substantial insights or inspiration

• it seems like there will be no point to ever replay any of this DLC after beating all of its diamond times

Curious... In the in-game "driving tips from Lewis Hamilton" video for Monza, Lewis said he's racing at Monza (in real-life) "this week." Lewis' hair in these time trial videos matches his hair from the early September 2018 F1 Monza race photos (he had cornrows in the September 2019 F1 Monza race photos). If Lewis put in these Time Trial laps around the same time these in-game videos were filmed, he might have been running version 1.23 or 1.25 of the game, whereas this DLC was released with the version 1.50 update (over a year later). I wonder how much the game's physics have been altered/updated between those versions/updates, and if players are truly on a level playing field with Lewis' ghost laps.

Last edited:
Back