License S2 Gold (1.29.686)

This is my write up for my 2nd attempt at gold for the S2 License. I have the NTSC version, which has a gold time of 1.30.200. I used the Dualshock 2 that came with the console, with default button settings (keypad to steer), and an auto transmission. My first attempt (sometime in June '02) took me more than 3 days. This one took 42 attempts (mostly due to failures at the first chicane) over 31 minutes to get a time of 1.29.686.

The key for me was learning how to use the accelerator to help the car make the turn (braking earlier into and gassing hard out of it). While the GT40 might be a very powerful car, it has surprisingly good traction for it's power (especially in the lower gears).

Here are some comments on my gold run replay. I race and view with the cockpit view, and I'm referring to the analyzer for the track's corresponding section.

Section 1: 3.597 sec 107 avg mph (start 89 mph) - As I approached the chicane, there were two turn signs that appeared overhead, hanging from the right side wall. Around halfway between them is when I started steering for the hole. The 2nd turn sign is where I started braking (just tapped the brakes when I reached ~118 mph).

Section 2: 2.587 sec 110 avg mph (start 114 mph) - At around 108, I got back on the gas as the car straightened for the hole. After passing the left side of the chicane, I drifted until I hit the right-side rumblestrip and then floored it. I started steering back to the right just before rolling over the strip, and nudged the left side wall on exit (knocking me down to about 107 mph).

Section 3: 2.522 sec 109 avg mph (start 110 mph) - Approaching the hard-left, there are 2 columns on the right side just before the corner. I started braking with the car straight as I passed the 2nd to last column on the right (around 115 mph).

Section 4: 4.067 sec 64 avg mph (start 92 mph) - Once the rumble strip appeared on the right hand side, I started my left turn (100% left). When the car dropped to 44 mph, that's when I floored the gas (still steering 100% left).

Section 5: 5.221 sec 94 avg mph (start 76 mph) - There are 2 overhead signs that lead to the initial left of this section (along the right hand side), a black Polyphony Digital in the background, and a turn sign in the foreground. When passing the turn sign, I let off the gas for a brief moment and simultaneously started steering left. I used the extra left hand curb space to cut a line that just missed the left and right side walls.

Section 6: 5.207 sec 75 avg mph (start 108 mph) - Coming off of the right side rumble strip on section 5, I started braking. I can't find any notable landmarks for this one, but I was going around 106 (speeds will vary according to the run). I started the right hand turn (100% right) when the car dropped down to around 90 (about mid-way between the sraight of this section). After passing the turn sign on the left, I let off the brakes and started pumping the gas.

Section 7: 4.046 sec 78 avg mph (start 72 mph) - I tapped the brakes and kept pumping the gas to maintain a speed around 72 as I made the 2 left turns. Keeping a tight radius with the car in 2nd seems to be key here. There is a turn sign on the right hand side as you make your final left. This is the point at which I floored it (steering 100% left).

Section 8: 7.475 sec 120 avg mph (start 93 mph) - I stayed along the right side going up, and stayed left going down.

Section 9: 4.579 sec 141 avg mph (start 136 mph) - Along the left hand side leading into the right-turn corner, there are 2 overhead turn signs. I started braking with the car straight as I passed the shadow of the first of these signs (around 153 mph). I started my right hand turn (100% right) as I hit the rumblestrip on the left.

Section 10: 4.776 sec 67 avg mph (start 101 mph) - In my opinion, this is one of a few turns that sees great benefit from a slight slide-turn. However, I notice that my run took it normally... At around 65, I let off the brakes and let the car drift (as I passed a white/red Viper sign on the left). I got back on the gas early, and pumped it as I rolled over the right-side rumble strip. I actually nudged the left side wall on my exit for this turn.

Section 11: 3.491 sec 85 avg mph (start 72 mph) - I started this section from the left, and kept it tight to the right fully gassed.

Section 12: 3.185 sec 81 avg mph (start 97 mph) - I started braking for this left turn as I passed a lightpost along the right side wall (going around 97 mph). The left hand turn started as I passed the lightpost on the left (actually part of section 11). Coming out of the left hand turn (still floored and 100% left), I nudged the right side wall just as I rolled over the rumblestrip (under the banner).

Section 13: 3.004 sec 71 avg mph (start 74 mph) - As I passed under the shadow of the banner, I started braking and turning (100% left). When the right side rumble strip disappeared (around 60 mph), I got back on the gas and BRIEFLY centered the wheel. I went back to 100% left, and kept the gas all the way down.

Section 14: 4.652 sec 100 avg mph (start 81 mph) - Started along the right, made a gradual turn that missed the left side wall and ended along the right for coming corner.

Section 15: 4.053 sec 76 avg mph (start 110 mph) - I started braking as the right side wall opened up the sidewalk. This is another turn that I felt I had to slide-turn. When the car dropped to around 101 mph, I started my 100% left. Still turning 100% left, I floored the gas when the car dropped to ~63. When the car finally lined up for the left side corner of the turn, I centered the wheel briefly, and then started to counter steer (a couple of nudges to the right) as my tail started whipping out. Doing so gave me a good angle just along the right hand sidewalk (post-turn) for the descent down the hills.

Section 16: 6.139 sec 113 avg mph (start 84) - I had to gradually make my way from the right side to the left by the time I got to the bottom. I tried to keep it straight as I caught air, fully gassed all the way down.

Section 17: 2.195 sec 135 avg mph (start 136mph) - As I came down the hill and made the turn (still flooring the gas), I remained in the shadow of one of the buildings. I stayed along the left after making the turn and crossed a point where the shadow broke. This is where I started braking (around 137 mph with a centered wheel). Another shadow begins, and where it ends is where I started my right hand turn (there will be one more shadow to pass before going under the freeway).

Section 18: 2.065 sec 87 avg mph (start 118 mph) - I stayed 100% right through this whole section, and still ended up nudging the left side wall. Still braking from section 17, I didn't let off until just before I got under the freeway (around 75 mph), when I got back on the gas and floored it again.

Section 19: 3.094 sec 75 avg mph (start 67 mph) - Staying right, I started braking for the left+left hairpin when I reached 86 mph (in hindsight, a tad bit early). At this point, I was starting to pass the 2nd series of banners on the right hand side.

Section 20: 5.182 sec 54 avg mph (start 58 mph) - Still braking from section 19, I didn't let off until I dropped to 46 mph. I started pumping the gas, maintaining around 44-47 mph. I wanted to keep the car between 1st and 2nd gear, as this seemed to be the best balance of power and traction. This allowed for me to keep it tight, barely missing the 2nd corner's left side rumblestrip. When the beginning of the left-side rumble strip started to go off of the left edge of the screen, I got back on the gas and didn't come off until I crossed the finish line...

Section 21: 8.549 sec 100 mph (start 76 mph) - The straighter, the better. Nothing to do here but keep it fully gassed and start praying. Getting under the bridge and clearing it by 1.21.XXX will REALLY get yer juices flowin!

Checkpoint times (demo comparison):
T1 - 0.18.870 (- 0.00.090)
T2 - 0.57.400 (- 0.00.008)
F - 1.29.686 (- 0.00.489)

I didn't use the landmarks I mentioned for ALL of these sections, but the few that I did were: 1, 3, 5, 9, 13, 15, and 17. These turns were crucial for me to nail down. The rest seemed to come by feel, but remember that this was my 2nd tiem going for the license gold.

I hope I haven't broken any rules regarding what a write-up is supposed to look like, but this is my first one. Regardless, I hope others find benefit from this post... as S2 gold is one of the hairiest beasts on GT3!

Have a great drive!

Hazzard

great job Hazzard...exactly what I needed. Let me study and I'll get back to you on my progress. I am within a second now and just a little help will push me over. Thanks again for the write-up! You da man

No prob, tez. Just keep note that I've made some edits to the post in a couple of places, so it might be worth a re-read or two (not trying to advertise my own post ;)).

I know you'll get it soon.. I can feel it.

Have a great drive!

Hazzard

S - 2 License Complete! Thanks Hazzard!

4 days after my journey into Seattle Hell began (close to 6 hours of race time) I can proudly say that I finally medaled this track with a glorious time of 1:34.993 Yes my friends that is 7/1000ths of a second and I nearly woke up my entire neighborhood. The baby screamed, the wife yelled and I could not care a less. However, the strangest calm settled over me minutes later as I began to reflect on Super License Test Number Two...

I honestly have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this battle of will. My first few laps on this test sent me running to the hills. After an what seemed like 100 tries and an hour deep, I wrote it off as 'silly'. "There is no way I'll ever make that Bronze time".... I began mumbling obscenities to myself in hour three. In hour four, I honestly tried to walk away from the game. However the pull was strong and my addiction festered. By hour five I went to the well and watched the demo with RoadHazzard's notes dancing in the periphery of my subconscious. DolbyTone's words of wisdom related to the two swinging lefts seemed to inspire the racing gods and I began to insert my will on this hallowed pavement. I was getting so close...1/2 a second, 1/4 second...and I knew my time was near.

I set the controller down, did ten pushups, kissed my sleeping 13-month old baby, and eased back into the PS2 chair with a clear mind and spirit. Two tries later I crossed the checkered line with slivers of seconds between ecstasy and defeat.

Oh my ...that was FUN! Feels so good to accomplish something like that, especially when I was minutes away from taking GT3 out of the system for good. Thanks for the help and words of encouragement. I was ready to jump but you walked me back from the cliff....Hazzard, Dolby, Quattro, Gil, j2s, Rumple...

And you guys that get GOLDS...MUCH RESPECT!

Back