linking four PS2's and playing GT3

• Thread starter Tank
  • 20 comments
I wonder if anyone regularly does a six player battle. That would be so much freaking fun. It would have to be a moderately long race though, like 25 laps on SS5 or something.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic
I wonder if anyone regularly does a six player battle. That would be so much freaking fun. It would have to be a moderately long race though, like 25 laps on SS5 or something.

~LoudMusic

That would be too much fun!

I race 6 player iLink on a regular basis. My raced last weekend. After playing iLink I have never played the arcade or simulation modes again. It's that much better. Each player brings a 68cm or bigger TV, headphones, PS2, game and force feedback steering wheel. I use the Logitech MOMO steering wheel with gas pressured pedals. It's is absolutely awesome.

We have race series with points awarded to finish positions and best lap time. There are about 8 tracks in each series. Races are 17 laps with tire wear. Each player is allowed to pick a race edition Skyline, Supra or Honda NSX. Each car is overall as quick as each other, but it gives everyone a chance to win depending or the track and driving style. Tire wear makes the racing a lot more intense with each player selecting different driving and pitting strategies.

As previously pointed out before there are a couple of problems in the multiplayer racing.
1. Only Arcade cars available.
2. Cannot tune/setup cars.
3. Most pit lanes are too small and cars can block one another when changing tires.
If Sony fixed these problems no other racing games would come close. Hopefully they correct it next time round.

I have heard that if You have three PS2's and a hub, you can connect them in a way that makes them all work as one.
That means if you place the three tv's side by side - You will have your normal view on the mid screen, and side views on the two adjacent screens. MEGA VIEW !! :eek:

Well Rypien, I have read it in a lot of magazines, and a few places on the internet.

But I really think that the people with access to three PS2's should check it out.

Here's a few lines from an internet site:

A very cool feature that is available when you´re using the iLink Battle mode in Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec is that you actually can link three PS2 units using the iLink cable, after you´ve done this you can setup three separate TV screens next to eachother. If you then choose Live Broadcast in the menu, you get to play the game with each TV displaying a different section of the track (left, middle, right).

This means you get an ultra wide picture, cool! Just imagine using three widescreen 32" TVs or better, that would be insane. Check example picture below.

Attachments

• three screens.jpg
    three screens.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 266
Originally posted by CloneHead
So I guess that nobody has ever heard of this ??
Makes you wonder if it might be for the PAL version only... :confused:

Well, it's just basic use of the 'observer' thing in iLink mode. I just haven't gotten to play with linked consoles very much. I mean really, think of all the hardware that goes into it.

GT3 x 3
PS2 x 3
Nice TV x 3
Firewire hub and cables

Looks like almost $3,000 to me. A bit pricey for one person in one game. And I've only got a few friends that have GT3 right now ... the chances of rounding up enough hardware at the same time would be pretty slim. This is very cool though. I was hoping for a bigger picture, but it's still a neat shot.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic
GT3 x 3
PS2 x 3
Nice TV x 3
Firewire hub and cables

Looks like almost $3,000 to me. A bit pricey for one person in one game.
~LoudMusic

Start saving now 'bro because that is the way it was meant to be.

Nevermind anything else.
Say after me:

I. CAN. DO. IT.

I. CAN. DO. IT.

I. CAN. DO. IT.

I. CAN. DO. IT.

:D

Hey guys,

I've been trying to link up gt3 with my buddies and not having any luck. To start off, just linking up 2 ps2 didn't work. We have two US version ps2 (not modded or anything), two TV's, two GT3 discs. One 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. We hooked up the two PS2's together with the firewire cable directly. We started GT3. At the I-link battle screen, we both choose compete. However, both our screen show that we are using ID 1. We know the cable is good because he can hookup his camcorder to the computer with it.

We've tried turning both systems off. Or one system on, power off the other. Tried changing discs. What could be wrong? It IS possible to I-link two PS2 directly with one 4pin to 4pin cable w/o a need for firewire hub, correct?

I don't believe it is - I think you need a hub.

PM Arwin and ask him - his experiences in setting up the 4 Dutch Driving Days make him the perfect person to answer this.

would be better if you had a hub, tried with a mate linking 2 PS2's together and had a problem with the game freezing up every now and then
When im around there now though we use the hub and have not had a problem since

Whenwe get a group of us together its a 6 player battle royal, set laps is aroound 5 to 10 due to time constraints (so we can get a few races in) and the winner walks away (if we let him ;) ) with a trophy :cool:

Originally posted by CloneHead
Well Rypien, I have read it in a lot of magazines, and a few places on the internet.

But I really think that the people with access to three PS2's should check it out.

Here's a few lines from an internet site:

A very cool feature that is available when you´re using the iLink Battle mode in Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec is that you actually can link three PS2 units using the iLink cable, after you´ve done this you can setup three separate TV screens next to eachother. If you then choose Live Broadcast in the menu, you get to play the game with each TV displaying a different section of the track (left, middle, right).

This means you get an ultra wide picture, cool! Just imagine using three widescreen 32" TVs or better, that would be insane. Check example picture below.

That would be great! - Think of the advantages when you saw somebody coming up to pass you on the outisde ;) Cote D Azur :eek: In widescreen that would be an unbelievable experience!

Originally posted by lushboy
Hey guys,

I've been trying to link up gt3 with my buddies and not having any luck. To start off, just linking up 2 ps2 didn't work. We have two US version ps2 (not modded or anything), two TV's, two GT3 discs. One 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. We hooked up the two PS2's together with the firewire cable directly. We started GT3. At the I-link battle screen, we both choose compete. However, both our screen show that we are using ID 1. We know the cable is good because he can hookup his camcorder to the computer with it.

We've tried turning both systems off. Or one system on, power off the other. Tried changing discs. What could be wrong? It IS possible to I-link two PS2 directly with one 4pin to 4pin cable w/o a need for firewire hub, correct?

Sorry I don't come in here so often anymore, but if you're certain the cable is right and you plugged them all the way in (it's a bit tough) then one of the PS2s may be the problem. The iLink port of my old PS2 never worked well (just every now and then, with decreasing success) and recently just buggered out. Replacing it with another one solved all problems.

You could try the HUB thing though. If you get one, get a FireWire hub with connectors for 6 pin FireWire, not 4 pin (iLink), as that's much cheaper (I paid 60 euro) and more solid. You can get 6-to-4 pin cables for that HUB to connect the PS2s, that works great and the cables aren't too expensive (I paid 7 euro a piece).

Originally posted by Bollocks#999
would be better if you had a hub, tried with a mate linking 2 PS2's together and had a problem with the game freezing up every now and then
When im around there now though we use the hub and have not had a problem since

Okay, I'll go the hub route when I gather up some lose change from the couch cracks. Though I don't have any firewire devices to use the hub for.. :(

The game seems to load fine and intro and cut scenes are okay.. If anything, my PS2 is only 4 months old! My friend's is about 2 years old though.. haha.

Originally posted by Arwin
Sorry I don't come in here so often anymore, but if you're certain the cable is right and you plugged them all the way in (it's a bit tough) then one of the PS2s may be the problem. The iLink port of my old PS2 never worked well (just every now and then, with decreasing success) and recently just buggered out. Replacing it with another one solved all problems.

I'm sure the cable is all the way in.. it won't go any further. It was slightly scary to plug it in the first time since the cable didn't seems like it wanted to fit in.

When you said you replaced it to solve all problems, did you mean your ps2?

Thanks.

Back