Live Stream: FIA Gran Turismo Championships Nürburgring World Tour (Nations Cup)

Tom
I’d like to apologise sincerely for this misinformation during the commentary on the broadcast. From a behind-the-scenes point of view there was a lot going on (producers in my ears, unscheduled interviews etc), and I made an error by saying it was López who had received the penalty, rather than Latkovski as has already been stated.

Thanks for letting us know, hope you guys continue onwards as the English language commentary team - I know last year it chopped and changed a bit (bar Jimmy, which is my excuse for forgetting your name and not his - sorry!) but as I stated I feel like the current team had really nailed it in general. There may have been a few Murray Walker moments at the last event, but what would F1 have been without Murray Walker? As long as at least one person is there to fill the Brundle role, no harm done lol.

Last year they had some extraneous people that accompanied the female MC (whose name I also can't recall, sorry again!) and the current status of her flying solo with you two guys in support really felt like the best combination.

Yeh, I think one should only criticize another's behavior if you've been in the same or similar situation with the same emotions with the same at stake. I know if I was treated like crap on track like @Deafsun was and then on top of that be warned by the people who actually allowed and caused the crap to happen, my rage might have been worse. AND if warnings of a ban were to be issued [which I agree is quite stupid], I think there were quite a few other drivers that should have been more towards the front of the line for people deserving a ban, perhaps even a steward or two.

Nobody ruined Lopez’s race. He was completely out of fuel. Whether or not that was the cause of the accident I’m not sure, but nothing Latkovski did cost him any positions. You can see him crawling away from the corner. That’s what cost him the podium.
The debate is there because he would have wasted fuel on the grass, especially if he tried to power out of it. Most people did come to the conclusion though that he would have run out of fuel quite while before the line. More importantly so did the stewards.
Not only the wasted fuel on the grass, also he lost so much time getting hit and going off. Pretty sure he would've got into the podium.
And even if he ran out of fuel in that corner, the driver behind must avoid all contact regardless.

And even if he ran out of fuel in that corner, the driver behind must avoid all contact regardless.

Course he should. A 5s penalty was given to Cody. The dive was appalling I agree. Whether 5s is harsh enough is neither here nor there, because it seems that's what is available to them right now.

We all feel for Coque. He drove so well all weekend and deserved that chance of the win/podium. It's a real shame he was robbed of that last corner and also a shame that we didn't get to see whether he really had enough fuel or not.

To be honest, I believe Rubilar's position in the final World Tour event should be revoked. His actions were completely unacceptable and I would've given him a grilling if he did the same thing to me. I am truly ashamed by all the parties involved and I cannot understand why the stewards let him off soo lightly. It's a ****ing joke as your race was ruined, rendering your hard work useless. That is a horrible feeling and I don't wish it upon anyone. Rubilar is obviously a [redacted] who couldn't care less about the opposition. He doesn't deserve his place in the final AT ALL and I for one wish that bad karma is heading his way. For your sake and others.

I'll have to disagree on this one, but I guess it could be my fault for not explaining the context of the situation clearly enough. He sincerely apologized to me before I left, and to be honest, I even told him right then and there that I wasn't upset with him at all (believe it or not), I was just upset with my situation in general. I even gave him a hug and accepted his apology right after it happened.

Nico is amazing person and a class act, and the fact that he made a silly mistake (as we all do) isn't going to change that about him. I just happened to be in the wrong place in the wrong time, among being a victim of other things. It is important not to jump to conclusions like this because it could just escalate the situation in the future, and also to keep in mind that no harm was intended, and that we are all human.

So let me be the one to say that meeting and racing with each and every one of the other racers at the event was a privilege, and I value this part of the experience very heavily. They were amazing and wonderful people, and I am already hyped to do it all again in the next world tour.

That said, hopefully this allows those reading this post to think a little more critically and realize that a couple silly choices and incidents on track does not change who a person is at their core. Heck, I have made my share of careless moves in the online FIA races, like for example when I attempted to two wide with @anthaliscious at the Bathurst top 16 race when there clearly wasn't enough room. The important takeaway is that we both realized that I just made a silly judgement, and so we were able to move on and race cleanly in the future without holding a grudge.

This time, life just gave me lemons. When this happens, you get back up and look forward: keep fighting and try to be stronger next time, and that is exactly what I will do.

To those reading this, think carefully about your posts, and remember that at the end of the day, there is another human on the other end of the screen, so please don't vent hatred towards others. I'm really not tryna sound like a hippie here, but I really do want to wish everyone the best of luck in the next races and in general, as I am once again privileged to be part of what may be one of the best groups of people/communities that I have ever had the pleasure of being apart of in my lifetime :)

At the end of the day, it is up to YOU to help drive positive change, and only once many of us share this mentality do i believe we will actually get somewhere meaningful. :cheers:

I'll have to disagree on this one, but I guess it could be my fault for not explaining the context of the situation clearly enough. He sincerely apologized to me before I left, and to be honest, I even told him right then and there that I wasn't upset with him at all (believe it or not), I was just upset with my situation in general. I even gave him a hug and accepted his apology right after it happened.

Nico is amazing person and a class act, and the fact that he made a silly mistake (as we all do) isn't going to change that about him. I just happened to be in the wrong place in the wrong time, among being a victim of other things. It is important not to jump to conclusions like this because it could just escalate the situation in the future, and also to keep in mind that no harm was intended, and that we are all human.

So let me be the one to say that meeting and racing with each and every one of the other racers at the event was a privilege, and I value this part of the experience very heavily. They were amazing and wonderful people, and I am already hyped to do it all again in the next world tour.

That said, hopefully this allows those reading this post to think a little more critically and realize that a couple silly choices and incidents on track does not change who a person is at their core. Heck, I have made my share of careless moves in the online FIA races, like for example when I attempted to two wide with @anthaliscious at the Bathurst top 16 race when there clearly wasn't enough room. The important takeaway is that we both realized that I just made a silly judgement, and so we were able to move on and race cleanly in the future without holding a grudge.

This time, life just gave me lemons. When this happens, you get back up and look forward: keep fighting and try to be stronger next time, and that is exactly what I will do.

To those reading this, think carefully about your posts, and remember that at the end of the day, there is another human on the other end of the screen, so please don't vent hatred towards others. I'm really not tryna sound like a hippie here, but I really do want to wish everyone the best of luck in the next races and in general, as I am once again privileged to be part of what may be one of the best groups of people/communities that I have ever had the pleasure of being apart of in my lifetime :)

At the end of the day, it is up to YOU to help drive positive change, and only once many of us share this mentality do i believe we will actually get somewhere meaningful. :cheers:

What a post, this sums it all up. Great driving and kick butt on the next round, your time is coming! 👍

Well said.

Despite all the negative things that happened to you this time. I think in the end there are some positives in that a lot more people are talking about you and you ended up with more fans and supporters for the next event.

Not me though. I've been rooting for you from the start. :D

It's pretty clear to me that the issue in all this is the stewards. They need to have an actual process in place for determining penalties. Yes, we always joke the system or the stewards are bad at every live event. But my God. This live event (Manufacturer in particular) was a big laugh. I honestly have no idea what the stewards are doing during these races.

Again, the issue is the stewards, not the drivers. I'm sure you've heard it before. As a competitor, competing, it's their job to go as far as they can to be competitive as possible. Whether that be track limits, rules, etc. In this case, being as aggressive as possible with ability to gain positions without any consequences.

Due to lack of consistency and penalties from the stewards, they aren't just allowing, but promoting bad dirty driving. Because if one person """abuses""" the penalty system, then competitors will be less competitive if they don't follow as well.

I know me and a few other players / friends in the American region were going to go to the New York live event, make a good show of it. But I honestly can't support this after the last showing. It was pretty pathetic and the stewards system needs to change.
The incident with @Deafsun at the after party is just further proof of the delusion of the stewards.
If it doesn't change, this whole thing will die out very quickly

@Deafsun
When I read the post last night my takeaway was basically you were saying you got screwed by dirty drivers...
Clearly it seems I read that wrong and what you meant was you had a run of bad luck.
I know nothing of what really goes on at these events as I mentioned.
I’ve seen comments before regarding dirty driving going unpunished...
I apparently inferred meaning upon a post that was not correct. That’s my mistake and I apologize.
As someone who is on the fence about following these competitions more closely it’s very good to hear that a lot of these incidents were not intentional.
I was forming a mistaken impression regarding what I called ‘dirty’. My meaning for that means basically intentionally unfairly ruining a persons race to get ahead.
That’s my understanding and please don’t think there’s fricken hate. That’s a very strong word to use. I am sorry if others got that impression from my comments.
Above all the biggest takeaway overall from me from Gran Turismo Sport and it’s community is the tremendously positive energy surrounding and emanating from it.
So, I do stand by my comment though about pulling off track. It just doesn’t seem to fit.
Anyhow, just wanted to make that clear.
This is such an awesome game/community and we should all respect each other. If my posts were poorly written and came off negative that wasn’t my intention at all and that’s on me.
I know if you persevere you will do well.
Best of luck to you in continuing forward.
Watching all you top guys display your ability is an inspiration.

I was gutted for you watching the live event. From everyone competing you deserved better results than you got, but unfortunately that's often how it can be with racing.

After your first post I felt saddened about how you felt but you have summed up a lot of how I feel in this more recent post, that I was relieved to read.

Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck for future events. You clearly have the talent, sometimes you also need a little luck to get on to that podium. WHEN it happens it will be all that more sweeter.

Saw the nations cup.

Congo Fraga.

Hizal and Rubilar, dayum stupid mistakes. I did not like Hizal drifting in the end also.

Latkovski should be banned from entering the next competition. Too eager to win. Costed lopez a deserved win.

Great to watch though. Well done everyone.

@Deafsun
When I read the post last night my takeaway was basically you were saying you got screwed by dirty drivers...
Clearly it seems I read that wrong and what you meant was you had a run of bad luck.
I know nothing of what really goes on at these events as I mentioned.
I’ve seen comments before regarding dirty driving going unpunished...
I apparently inferred meaning upon a post that was not correct. That’s my mistake and I apologize.
As someone who is on the fence about following these competitions more closely it’s very good to hear that a lot of these incidents were not intentional.
I was forming a mistaken impression regarding what I called ‘dirty’. My meaning for that means basically intentionally unfairly ruining a persons race to get ahead.
That’s my understanding and please don’t think there’s fricken hate. That’s a very strong word to use. I am sorry if others got that impression from my comments.
Above all the biggest takeaway overall from me from Gran Turismo Sport and it’s community is the tremendously positive energy surrounding and emanating from it.
So, I do stand by my comment though about pulling off track. It just doesn’t seem to fit.
Anyhow, just wanted to make that clear.
This is such an awesome game/community and we should all respect each other. If my posts were poorly written and came off negative that wasn’t my intention at all and that’s on me.
I know if you persevere you will do well.
Best of luck to you in continuing forward.
Watching all you top guys display your ability is an inspiration.
I totally see where you were coming from too, I can't stress enough how much of a privilege these tours are. But that being said, it means alot that you came back and were able to see it as I did. I am always critical of myself as a person both onad off the track, and it's really cool to me that some of what I said resonated with you a bit, and that you came back and spoke these wise words (but you didn't have to apologize haha, thanks tho). Kudos

I was basically told that if I continued to drive the way that I drove towards the end of the repechage race, then I could be disqualified from being invited to future live events. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I wish I was. Just to be clear, I understand that my reaction was unprofessional as it could be considered unfitting for an esports event of this caliber, but there seemed to be no sympathy shown whatsoever for how I was treated in nearly EVERY SINGLE RACE i participated in this weekend, as it was just told to me bluntly.
I think what this comes down to is they try to solve the problems that are easiest to solve, rather than the most important problems. We'd all love the game to have a perfect penalty system and for the stewards to make perfect decisions, but there is no easy path to achieving that, you only have to look at the debate around the Vettel-Hamilton incident to see how hard it is to handle these things in a way that everyone is happy with. So I'd say they simply picked your reaction as something nice and clear cut that they were happy to try to deal with. They were probably hoping you'd respond with something along the lines of "Sorry, my bad, it won't happen again.". I totally understand your frustration, you could try to think of constructive suggestions for how things can be improved for future events, but don't forget to communicate them as problems that need them to think of the solution rather than giving them solutions that they feel unable to use because someone else came up with them!

Great that everyone is feeling positive again, but there is the reality of a systemic problem portrayed by Deafsun in these events--lack of competent stewardship.

Seems players are truly dedicating their lives to GTS and deserve effective/rational stewardship from PD......or do players need to formulate a players union and start collectively making demands? Actually this may be inevitable and the only effective way to influence necessary changes.

Get with the times PD, learn to listen and take feedback from players who are exposing areas of improvement. Don't hide, pivot, or remain disillusioned about how you are performing. Make the necessary changes that improve the GTS experience.

Kudos to you for having such a great attitude about it all after the fact. I understand not holding a grudge towards the individual players, but do you still make a mental note of, "This drivers will dive for gaps that aren't there."?

The overall tone of the driving also seemed much more risky and aggressive than it had been in past events. Was this a tendency you noticed during the online FIA races leading up to it, or was it the steward's loose attitude that opened the door for that type of driving?

I know you didn't win but congrats anyways. You put on quite a show and you definitely showcased your driving skills even if the results didn't match them.

Curious to know from the attendees, do you guys engage with PD in a proper drivers brief/debrief before and after the races?

If not, would you like for PD to implement one?

Kudos to you for having such a great attitude about it all after the fact. I understand not holding a grudge towards the individual players, but do you still make a mental note of, "This drivers will dive for gaps that aren't there."?

The overall tone of the driving also seemed much more risky and aggressive than it had been in past events. Was this a tendency you noticed during the online FIA races leading up to it, or was it the steward's loose attitude that opened the door for that type of driving?

I know you didn't win but congrats anyways. You put on quite a show and you definitely showcased your driving skills even if the results didn't match them.
Honestly yea. driving styles are a lot like personalities in that you almost anticipate people to do certain things based on it. It is true that there are specific names that make me a bit nervous when i see them in my rear view, and yes, I personally did notice the driving 'tone' to be a bit more aggressive than normal. Needless to say though, I am clearly a bit biased lmao. However, i never felt that anyone would take me out on purpose, which is always a good thing.

I think what this comes down to is they try to solve the problems that are easiest to solve, rather than the most important problems. We'd all love the game to have a perfect penalty system and for the stewards to make perfect decisions, but there is no easy path to achieving that, you only have to look at the debate around the Vettel-Hamilton incident to see how hard it is to handle these things in a way that everyone is happy with. So I'd say they simply picked your reaction as something nice and clear cut that they were happy to try to deal with. They were probably hoping you'd respond with something along the lines of "Sorry, my bad, it won't happen again.". I totally understand your frustration, you could try to think of constructive suggestions for how things can be improved for future events, but don't forget to communicate them as problems that need them to think of the solution rather than giving them solutions that they feel unable to use because someone else came up with them!
Absolutely. Again, they are completely right that i should not have fooled around at the end of the race, it is definitely one part I look back on and question if it was the smartest way to deal with the situation at the time. I actually did respond by saying sorry because I was a tad drunk at the time lol. Had i not been, i may have been more critical of the whole situation and questioned the whole situation. I major in sociology atm so challenging conventions and looking at situations from multiple vantage points is kind of my natural mindset. Plus, in all fairness, maybe the fact that it was translated form Japanese into English made the critique of my reaction seem more harsh than it really was. The takeaway is that I am definitely not going to do it again because i value the experience too much, and I am hopeful that the quality of racing in future events would be good enough to make sure than nobody is driven to the point that they would feel the need to do that anyways.

Aggressive driving is a side effect of the same reasons why these events are so entertaining. Competition is just too high and tends to get higher as people take it more seriously. Everyone's an alien and they have 8 laps to show who's best.

If we had 70 laps with uneven BOP, like in F1, we'd probably see a very civilized race, but how boring it would be. Not to mention it wouldn't work for a live event.

Deafsun, you were unlucky, but your performance didn't go unnoticed. Frustration is part of racing and all the best competitors in these events had their taste of it by now. Luck will eventually be on your side.

Aggressive driving is a side effect of the same reasons why these events are so entertaining. Competition is just too high and tends to get higher as people take it more seriously. Everyone's an alien and they have 8 laps to show who's best.

If we had 70 laps with uneven BOP, like in F1, we'd probably see a very civilized race, but how boring it would be. Not to mention it wouldn't work for a live event.

That's just not true. We've already had several of these live events and there was a general disregard for overlap and corner rights in this recent event that we hadn't seen in previous events. Sure, you'll always have the occasional Senna dive bomb but there were frequent infractions in this event reoccurring with the same people.

Thanks for letting us know, hope you guys continue onwards as the English language commentary team - I know last year it chopped and changed a bit (bar Jimmy, which is my excuse for forgetting your name and not his - sorry!) but as I stated I feel like the current team had really nailed it in general. There may have been a few Murray Walker moments at the last event, but what would F1 have been without Murray Walker? As long as at least one person is there to fill the Brundle role, no harm done lol.

Last year they had some extraneous people that accompanied the female MC (whose name I also can't recall, sorry again!) and the current status of her flying solo with you two guys in support really felt like the best combination.

Thanks for the feedback here, it's very much appreciated. It will be myself and Jimmy for all World Tour events in 2019, with Julia as the host. It's been an interesting change in dynamic for this year, essentially becoming a co-host, but one that I feel has worked well on the whole.

Tom
Thanks for the feedback here, it's very much appreciated. It will be myself and Jimmy for all World Tour events in 2019, with Julia as the host. It's been an interesting change in dynamic for this year, essentially becoming a co-host, but one that I feel has worked well on the whole.

I didn’t know you were one of the guys of the broadcast, that’s wicked! Great job too man! :cheers:

How did you ever make out with the rig you were planning to build/buy?

Yikes... Some comments in here suggest that people want racing and mistakes banned altogether.

No one is saying that either the driving standards or adjudication of penalties were perfect, but calling for World Tour event bans for honest mistakes is surely taking it a bit far.
What about those mistakes that aren't honest? What happens then?

See if you said this at the beginning I wouldn't have gone into a scathing attack on Rubilar.

Tom
Brilliant!

We've already had several of these live events and there was a general disregard for overlap and corner rights in this recent event that we hadn't seen in previous events.

This is a competition after all, and hosting a world event with so many skilled players that have dedicated a large portion of their lives to GTS deserves a proper regulatory body to ensure fair play.

I enjoy the entertainment value of racing as much as anyone, but let's do uphold some valid credentials that keeps GTS from turning into a carnage fest. It's time PD, you have enough data to make a sound decision. The audience has clearly seen some questionable racecraft and now you have a top players voicing a need for fair play. Whether you agree with who/what caused a 'racing incident', it should be obvious to everyone that stewardship is looming as an important factor to honorably crown the next FIA champion.

You don't want to get to the finals at the end of the year to impose strict race craft standards PD. The work needs to begin now so all players have ample time to adapt and adjust. At the very least, try to avoid getting into a situation where the stewards have no choice but to cast the deciding vote on who wins...no fan likes a race decided by stewards...

Let the guys race to see who is fastest PD, but be that shepherd that guides a fair platform for all.

Tom

Great to hear! Chris has done a great job as well with the commentating, but I feel there is some dynamic with you and Jimmy that just can't be beat :)

Also .. having the official Gran Turismo voice commentating is just very logical :D

How about the Superstar races, will you commentate more of those with Jimmy?

Keep up the good work mate! :cheers:

What about those mistakes that aren't honest? What happens then?

I actually don't think a lot of changes are needed. The only thing two things I would suggest are:

1. More consistent stewardship with a drivers meeting before the event to communicate expectations clearly (if they don't already do that).

2. A possible introduction of 10-second penalty at these events.

That should be enough of a deterrent for reckless divebombing and/or using another car as your brakes. But you also do not want to kill off racing with the sort of farce that F1 had in Canada recently.

Making wholesale changes to the in-game penalty system will invariably open a can of worms. You cannot program "common sense" into an algorithm and it will never be perfect.

Remember that not so long ago there was a time penalty for both cars when any contact was made between them, regardless of who caused it. It was sterile, frustrating and was anti-racing. But most importantly it was not fun. At which point the player base will drop off.

Back