London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics - General discussion

• Thread starter Ross
  • 1,936 comments
Pretty much like Donovan, Dempsey, and Howard are the only reliable members of our team, I suppose. We're progressing, though.

TyrrellRacing
I've seen them given for picking up back passes usually.

Yep, that and holding the ball too long..

Once a ref gave an indirect free kick against me for a back pass. My player never touched it.. Ever since if I even have a slight doubt I won't pick it up.. Headed one off my 6 yard line before because of a messed up clearance by my defender.. :lol:

Anyway I say either USA score and win or it goes to penalties.

When you pass the ball back, using your foot, to your own goal keeper and they pick it up. You are allowed to pick it up if its headed back but not kicked.

Everyone has down games.

As for Japan, I hope we capitalize on our chance for redemption over last summer's epic fail of a loss. I know it's still stinging Wambach and the rest of them.

Funny how Wambach and Morgan are tied for the latest tournament goal in history now.

Not sure myself, but UEFA and FIFA have always recognised that Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland have separate Football Associations and leagues etc., so allow them to compete separately in world football... Team GB was actually pretty controversial - the Scottish and Welsh FAs did not want it to happen, but I personally couldn't fathom what the fuss was about. That said, there were precious few Scottish players involved - but the Welsh players involved were among the best in the team (Bellamy and Giggs).

Scotland now struggle to qualify for any big tournaments, and Wales have never qualified for a major tournament - but arguably it is better to try than to be guaranteed no participation by being part of a British team that is almost exclusively English...

I always thought its just a question of money and success. A UK/GB team is more likely to achieve success in multiple events than the countries on their own.
This way Wales, Scotland and Northern Island (and Jersey, Guernsey, etc etc) don't have to spend the money fielding and training teams on their own, though they don't receive any personal glory and have to suffer through the English national anthem.

We really should re-name it Team UK though and change the "national" anthem to something a bit more fair.

Eh, whatever, this reliance on national pride is part of what makes the concept of the Olympics seem quite dated to me.

Holley Mangold is so fat. She must eat ungodly amounts of junk food to be that fat even after training for the olympics. I don't understand why American lifters are all in the superheavyweight division. We might actually be competitive if we could field athletes in the lighter weight groups. Way too much fat when compared to the Asian and Latin American lifters.

Holley Mangold is so fat. She must eat ungodly amounts of junk food to be that fat even after training for the olympics. I don't understand why American lifters are all in the superheavyweight division. We might actually be competitive if we could field athletes in the lighter weight groups. Way too much fat when compared to the Asian and Latin American lifters.

lMQdH.jpg

She's from Dayton...Keef, get on that!

I always thought its just a question of money and success. A UK/GB team is more likely to achieve success in multiple events than the countries on their own.
This way Wales, Scotland and Northern Island (and Jersey, Guernsey, etc etc) don't have to spend the money fielding and training teams on their own, though they don't receive any personal glory and have to suffer through the English national anthem.

We really should re-name it Team UK though and change the "national" anthem to something a bit more fair.

Eh, whatever, this reliance on national pride is part of what makes the concept of the Olympics seem quite dated to me.

Actually it was because when World organisation of Football was happening, GB wasn't interested, so got offered four votes as England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland instead of just one as GB.

Since the Olympics don't recognise those individual nations states then GB has to compete as GB if it wants to take part. The resistance of the Scottish and Welsh FA's is down to the potential loss of their individual voting rights.

By the way, it's the BRITISH anthem, not the english anthem. I don't think there is an English anthem.

As for a reliance on national pride, shame on us for being so small minded as to take pride in those competing for our nations.

Shame of you for even saying that in the Olympic thread. Your anti-Nation sentiments don't belong here.

Well if Scotland splits from the union its likely to be all 4 countries will compete separately or maybe England, Wales and NI will still compete but under a different name. Till then I guess they will keep it as it is for histories sake but it is kind of incorrect. In 4 years it might have already happened.

Tired Tyres
By the way, it's the BRITISH anthem, not the english anthem. I don't think there is an English anthem.

I would say 'Jerusalem' is considered England's national anthem.

I don't understand why American lifters are all in the superheavyweight division.

They qualified and the others didn't. Robles needed 30 more kilograms to bronze. Our most competitive lifter, Farris, was 25 off the bronze and 30 off the silver so the women didn't do too bad for U.S. standards.

Well if Scotland splits from the union its likely to be all 4 countries will compete separately or maybe England, Wales and NI will still compete but under a different name. Till then I guess they will keep it as it is for histories sake but it is kind of incorrect. In 4 years it might have already happened.

I would say 'Jerusalem' is considered England's national anthem.

I would think more in terms of "Land of Hope and Glory" myself.

They qualified and the others didn't. Robles needed 30 more kilograms to bronze. Our most competitive lifter, Farris, was 25 off the bronze and 30 off the silver so the women didn't do too bad for U.S. standards.

Yeah, I know, but I wonder if it's even possible for Robles to weigh 165. Seems like the womens weight classes are way too light. They should at least go up to 90-91 kilos. The only way to be competitive is to be a tiny 4-foot girl.

When you're watching the Keirin heats and Chris Hoy hits the front with a lap to go, and then the New Zealand rider tries to go round in front of Hoy, you've just got to think, "Yeah, dream on."

daan
When you're watching the Keiran heats and Chris Hoy hits the front with a lap to go, and then the New Zealand rider tries to go round in front of Hoy, you've just got to think, "Yeah, dream on."

Well said, my friend!

Alastair Brownlee gets the gold, with his brother getting bronze. Great job from the pair of them!

Does anyone else think Keirin is an odd concept for a race?

It's like having a 60 lap Grand Prix where the entire field follow the the pace car for the first 40 laps. :odd:

Does anyone else think Keirin is an odd concept for a race?
The keirin, as it is in the Olympics and World Championships is a much sanitised version. The original Japanese races were an all-out war to see who could get to the front, behind the motorbike, and pretty much anything went with elbows, headbutts etc being used against the opposition. In Japan, I believe, more money is bet on keirin events than is bet on horse racing.

I don't think it should be an Olympic event, and they should go back to doing the 4km time trial instead.

Back