Longer Races

• Thread starter Hapul
  • 11 comments
The general consensus (especially from 'vision GT') is that there will be more than 6 cars on track in GT5. This is all well and good, but it could be a hassle if GT5 was too much like GT4. What I mean is that if all the races are 2 or 3 laps long, there will not be sufficient time to pass all the cars without having a far lower lap speed. This could be a problem, as I for one enjoy the challenge of passing a faster car, rather than just rattling through the pack. The obvious solution would be to use qualifying, but that would mean you could go to pole or close to it on any race you could win. This would also remove the challenge of passing.

So, Aside from having races of a minimum length of about 5 or 6 laps, can anyone think of how this problem could be solved, or indeed, if you think it will be.

I´m totally on your side here. I would rather prefer longer and fewer races to shorter and more races.
The minimum should be kept at 5 laps for beginners section.

One way of dealing with fewer laps though, would be the ability to put together your opposition yourself, and thus having it exactly as hard or easy as you like.

But TBH, I would like longer races AND beeing able to customize the opposition.

I´m totally on your side here. I would rather prefer longer and fewer races to shorter and more races.
The minimum should be kept at 5 laps for beginners section.

One way of dealing with fewer laps though, would be the ability to put together your opposition yourself, and thus having it exactly as hard or easy as you like.

But TBH, I would like longer races AND beeing able to customize the opposition.
Yeah, having longer races would make it feel more realistic IMO, since for almost every race, you would be using the pits. I don't want races longer than 9 hours though, if they are going to have longer races than that, atleast have night and day... I don't like doing so many races, but I like having longer races, without as much races. They should remove some of the championships that have no limitations, except the sport tire thingy, which really doesn't matter, and replace them with races that have more limitations, like how about a FF Race Car cup? 💡 Or maybe a DTM VS. JGTC cup, or even a DTM VS. JGTC VS. LM Race Car cup? :D (Just don't allow Race Cars with over 525HP or so...)

I think that races should be for the most part, around 10 laps with larger grids. I certainly don't want fewer races though, I just want a more diverse selection than GT4's. I think the beginner races should still be short affaris, grid size issues can be solved by simply giving thoes races smaller grids.

The key is diversity, something GT4 lacked qute a bit of considering how big the game was. If GT5 does allow upto 20 cars per race, that doesn't mean every race event should have 20 cars in it. Spice it up a little, give us races where cars that we never rally had a chance to race outside a spot race can get a good run in. Don't give me 5 competitions all featuring the same cars, I want the tiered races back too, not just one FF car race, one for lower poeered FF cars, one for mid powered cars and one for higher powered FF cars. Same for other types of races.

I love short races but as you guys said it won't be enough for 20 cars. But PD has probably thought of this. So i don't think you need to worry too much.

I don't care if the races are short or long (but not too long,cause that would be overkill)Maybe i could give some idea on how the game should be:

1:The game could eliminate the beginner,amateur and the professional league and do each race by license class.Maybe each race will be around 10 laps (more or less depending on the circuit) which would be around 10 minutes to complete.The qualifying should be available on all the races or have to start on the middle of the grid (maybe start 10th out of 20th)

2:Keep the same format but make each class unique to its title.Beginners would have around 2-3 laps against 5 other opponents.Amateur would have around 5 or more laps against 9-11 other opponents.The Professional league would have all championship races and the grid could vary depending on what type of race it is.The qualifying would be for championship races only :P

Well thats my idea,hope some of you could come up with better ideas.....

Actually I'm happy with GT4's 2- and 3-lap races for the most part; I think a 5- or 6-lap minimum length for any race at all would be too much. I would like to see some longer races though. Perhaps another hall like the extreme hall?

As far as starting 20th in a 2-lap race, perhaps they could do something like three cars per lap (minimum 6) or one car per mile of race length, give or take. So in a 2-lapper on Trial Mountain you might be facing five other cars while in a 6-lapper it could be a 20-car field.

Doesn't F1:CE have three lap races? I know I let myself start in the back and have won. More often than not I get a DNF trying to work my way up because I am rushed, but I can do it. Doing a 10% race is much, much easier and less time pressured, allowing me to not push as hard.

Doesn't F1:CE have three lap races? I know I let myself start in the back and have won. More often than not I get a DNF trying to work my way up because I am rushed, but I can do it. Doing a 10% race is much, much easier and less time pressured, allowing me to not push as hard.

i've only played the demo but i agree, it's very annoying those times you think you will make it but right before the last corner you realize that you aint gonna catch up.

The more I think on this the more I think that if the AI works correctly then it won't matter because you won't be trying to avoid getting side swiped as well as make a clesan pass. But with teh current AI I think an extra few laps may be a necessity.

I think that the much needed larger car fields will have major changes to the simulation mode. As a whole longer races should be required with 5 laps on long tracks as minimum and 10 on medium tracks and 15 for short tracks. This would be for full car fields only. I want to be able to be in the middle of an event race series and still do single races between events if I want to. Also should be able to save game anytime you go in the pits. I think they need mini endurance races of 25 to 75 laps for all tracks. Point structure for race events will need redone, points awarded for top ten spots at least. Qualifying for first race in a series as a must, next race could be based on the first race finish. Maybe some events fastest cars get placed in the back of the pack etc. Also they could have mixed field races, 4 groups of 5 cars, 3 groups of 6 etc. Horse power limits which is a must should really even out the field. Oh also A.I. in most events should be programmed where one car does not win every race meaning majority of field has an equal chance of winning.

I like all your suggestions, but I think it all depends on how good the AI is. If they just follow one racing line, longer races could be tedious. Of course, if the AI was realistic and had more sense than in GT 1-4, then it would be a lot better

Latest Posts

Back