Looking Back at Four Years of Vision Gran Turismo

I still think the Infiniti VGT is the best one.

Real Life 1.jpg

I never understood the hate these cars got from the community. In a video game you're just driving a picture of a car and to get all bent out of shape about handling, acceleration and breaking is just a waste of time. I enjoyed everyone of the VGT cars and I look forward to more. Some of them had cartoonish performance values but whatever. Don't drive it if you don't like it.

Nowadays, I find these two videos on two VGT cars to be more interesting than the cars itself to be honest.

VW GTI teaser

"Do you want to upset Sony?" (Or something like that)
"NEIN!"

Renault-Alpine VGT

---
As for the cars themselves, some of them were alright and few were awesome but the majority of the cars aren't that interesting anymore compared when it was new. Maybe my taste got changed or maybe I just grew up. The idea was interesting but it felt both disappointing and unfinished.

I mean...
Mercedes Benz VGT - just another futuristic concept.
Mercedes Benz VGT Racing - same but with more tacky parts.
BMW VGT - looked awesome.
Mitsubishi VGT - Just a racing version of another concept so meh.
VW GTI Roadster - quite nice.
Nissan VGT 2020 - Kinda reminds me of the 2001 GTR concept from GT Concept that later became the R35 so I would say that's interesting.
Aston Martin - Interesting tech, interest wise is none.
Toyota VGT - Again, just a racing concept of an already existing Concept.
Subaru Viziv - Forgettable.
2X vision - "The real driving simulator"

Oh and it sounds like this...
176089-gta-sa-2014-04-08-11-02-40-22.jpg

Infiniti VGT = Nissan VGT with different face.
Mazda LM55 - Probably the best.
Mini VGT - I forgot it even existed in GT6 and GTS.
Alpine VGT - why there's a toaster in the back of the car?
Lexus VGT - Just like Toyota and Mitsubishi.
VW VGT supersonic - Doesn't look as cool as the Roadster.
Peugeot - again not my type.
Tomahawk -
(NSFW)

Hyundai - hmmm...
Buggati - eww.

The new yellow thing I forgot the name of - looks hot but I will probably forget about it in a week after I got the car in GTS.

Then you got these:
Screenshot_2017-08-20-22-59-37.png
Screenshot_2017-08-20-22-59-30.png

Let's not forget that Alfa Romeo left this project for unknown reasons and all of these promised "coming soon" cars that have never made it to GT6 and haven't announced yet for GT Sport.

Give me a real road/race car over these anyday.

Nowadays, I find these two videos on two VGT cars to be more interesting than the cars itself to be honest.

VW GTI teaser

"Do you want to upset Sony?" (Or something like that)
"NEIN!"

Renault-Alpine VGT

---
As for the cars themselves, some of them were alright and few were awesome but the majority of the cars aren't that interesting anymore compared when it was new. Maybe my taste got changed or maybe I just grew up. The idea was interesting but it felt both disappointing and unfinished.

I mean...
Mercedes Benz VGT - just another futuristic concept.
Mercedes Benz VGT Racing - same but with more tacky parts.
BMW VGT - looked awesome.
Mitsubishi VGT - Just a racing version of another concept so meh.
VW GTI Roadster - quite nice.
Nissan VGT 2020 - Kinda reminds me of the 2001 GTR concept from GT Concept that later became the R35 so I would say that's interesting.
Aston Martin - Interesting tech, interest wise is none.
Toyota VGT - Again, just a racing concept of an already existing Concept.
Subaru Viziv - Forgettable.
2X vision - "The real driving simulator"

Oh and it sounds like this...
Infiniti VGT = Nissan VGT with different face.
Mazda LM55 - Probably the best.
Mini VGT - I forgot it even existed in GT6 and GTS.
Alpine VGT - why there's a toaster in the back of the car?
Lexus VGT - Just like Toyota and Mitsubishi.
VW VGT supersonic - Doesn't look as cool as the Roadster.
Peugeot - again not my type.
Tomahawk -
(NSFW)

Hyundai - hmmm...
Buggati - eww.

The new yellow thing I forgot the name of - looks hot but I will probably forget about it in a week after I got the car in GTS.

Then you got these:
View attachment 668095 View attachment 668096

Let's not forget that Alfa Romeo left this project for unknown reasons and all of these promised "coming soon" cars that have never made it to GT6 and haven't announced yet for GT Sport.

Give me a real road/race car over these anyday.

Tomahawk, 2x, peugeot and all these vision supercars are very cool.
Driving the tomahawk X is a lot of fun and it requires a lot of skill to drive it fast.
Chaparral 2x is so weird but its also fun
Peugeot is just great
And so on.

I'd rather have all of these over a boring hatchback for example

VGT's are just greatness. Their designs are so unigue and futuristic and honestly look great to me. The thing that I like the most about the VGT's is how creative some of them are, mainly the Tomahawk and 2X. While both are not realistic in the slightest, they intrigue me to no end. The I just love how stupidly fast they are the technology behind them that makes them work.

Actually, the best thing about VGT's is the fact that the program even exists. You're able to drive cars in the game that otherwise would be impossible to do in real life. One thing that's always bothered me about real life concept cars is the fact that most of the time they don't have a drivetrain or a working engine to be driven. With VGT's, I'm able to exactly that. In GT6 and GTS, I can finally see/feel how the FT-1 would drive in real life, even if GT doesn't have the most realistic physics. Not only that but cars like the 2X, which can't even exist, can be driven and you can see exactly how they would work.

Some mates may think that the VGT's are silly, but I find them absolutely amazing. Concept cars are some of my favourite types of cars due to how futuristic and technologically advanced they can be. VGT's are no different, but are made better since they can be driven and raced with and listened to. They're just, greatness and hope they remain in any future GT games.

Tomahawk, 2x, peugeot and all these vision supercars are very cool.
Driving the tomahawk X is a lot of fun and it requires a lot of skill to drive it fast.
Chaparral 2x is so weird but its also fun
Peugeot is just great
And so on.

I'd rather have all of these over a boring hatchback for example
I remember everyone hating this project...so why everyone suddenly praises it right now?

I used to love the Tomahawk but I switched back to my tuned "premium" cars like Nissan and such a bit later.

If everyone wants hyper/concept cars the might as as well remove anything below the Gr.1 or Extreme Gr.X cars.

I still think the Infiniti VGT is the best one.

View attachment 668070
shame it got so much of its potencial wasted

I never understood the hate these cars got from the community. In a video game you're just driving a picture of a car and to get all bent out of shape about handling, acceleration and breaking is just a waste of time. I enjoyed everyone of the VGT cars and I look forward to more. Some of them had cartoonish performance values but whatever. Don't drive it if you don't like it.
ikr and they were free too

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember everyone hating this project...so why everyone suddenly praises it right now?

I used to love the Tomahawk but I switched back to my tuned "premium" cars like Nissan and such a bit later.

If everyone wants hyper/concept cars the might as as well remove anything below the Gr.1 or Extreme Gr.X cars.
Neither everyone hated it and not everyone praises it but as many things in GT, it got a ridicluous amount of stick for some strange reason

Maybe because those people prefered to have real cars that have never appeared in Gran Turismo instead of silly fantasy machines? And that's just one reason I can think of. It's not hard to see why some have disdain for VGTs.

I don't hate the VGT cars per se. But I don't like the fact that we were told we would get 1 per month over 2 years and we got nothing of that. Kind of annoying.

The article doesn't mention that Alfa Romeo pulled out of the project, and that a Bertone concept was teased but later vanished for reasons I'cannot recall without researching the archives.

Some are stupid, some are fantastic. It still is a marketing master stroke.
Marketing master stroke usually means that huge sales were created. Do you have some evidence of this? Even without the sales evidence that you won't find, do you have any evidence of widespread interest amongst the general public beyond the original marketing material?

Marketing master stroke usually means that huge sales were created. Do you have some evidence of this? Even without the sales evidence that you won't find, do you have any evidence of widespread interest amongst the general public beyond the original marketing material?

When huge automotive names design cars for a game (and the subsequent articles, videos, etc that follow), then yes it is a pretty big deal. Doubt any other racing game has that kind of power.

When huge automotive names design cars for a game (and the subsequent articles, videos, etc that follow), then yes it is a pretty big deal. Doubt any other racing game has that kind of power.
Marketing is to consumers. It has nothing to do with a supplier/game developer relationship. I think youre talking about something other than marketing genius.

Marketing is to consumers. It has nothing to do with a supplier/game developer relationship. I think youre talking about something other than marketing genius.

Like car enthusiasts who see car makers make design (and sometimes) build exclusive cars for a video game.

Heck, my cousin who knows nothing about cars has the Mercedes Vision GT as her wallpaper. These crazy designs grab attention.

Back