Looking for racing challenge? Try Speedster Cup!

• Thread starter Old Man
  • 17 comments
Like many of you, after a week or so of adjusting to car response in GT4 vs. GT3, I was disappointed that the AI cars were not more competitive. That is, until I tried completing the Speedster Cup.

The Speedster Cup is a manufacturer's event (Germany/Opel) that consists of five races, each either 3 or 4 laps long. The races are held at Grand Valley, Autumn Ring (Reverse), Suzuka (East Course), Infineon (Sports Car Course), and Seattle. Entries are restricted to Opel Speedsters, NA or Turbo, which must be purchased new for 30K credits and change. However, to win any of the five races, be prepared to spend additional credits on upgrades.

Without upgrades, in either the NA or Turbo, each of the five races is worth 200 a-spec points. IMHO, without upgrades, you will never win any of the races. When I tried this series for the first time, I was racing a Speedster Turbo with no upgrades, and I was left so far in the dust that I gave up. Even after adding racing exhaust and a stage 3 or 4 turbo, I was still being left behind. Ultimately, I got frustrated and quit, selling my Speedster and moving on to something else.

But last night, I returned, determined to win the prize car: an Opel Calibra Touring Car. I bought the Speedster NA and upgraded. Initially, I tried saving credits and bought less than maximum upgrades. But after a couple of failed attempts at Grand Valley, I returned to the tune shop and bought premium everything: racing exhaust, full custom suspension and transmission, stage 4 turbo, and levels 1 & 2 weight reduction. And, as I recall, this was still not enough. Finally, after purhcasing level 3 weight reduction and racing soft tires (NOTE: There are no tire restrictions!). I had enough speed and response to be able to compete.

With my Speedster thus upgraded, I won Grand Valley rather handily, the second place Speedster a distant speck in my rearview, and won 106 a-spec points. At Autumn Ring, however, it was only after two or three attempts that I came away the victor and won 108 a-pec points. Suzuka was even more problematic. There, I kept getting bumped in the esses by the AI cars, or putting a wheel off trying to get by the AI cars, and winding up in the sand-filled runoff areas. After more attempts than I care to admit, I finally managed to keep clear of my AI competitors and win by a fairly considerable margin.

Then, at Infineon and Seattle, the best I could manage was a very distant second. By the time I found my way through traffic, the lead car was so far ahead that I could not catch it. I had never before purchased NOS but after trying and failing several times, I returned to the tune shop and ponied up the credits. Still, I was having trouble catching up to and getting in front of the lead car. (This was no doubt in part due to my lack of experience with NOS). Then, I had an idea, and it was the thing that ultimately made the difference: I returned to the tune shop and bought a set of super-soft racing tires. With these on my Speedster, I caught and passed the lead car to win both Infineon and Seattle and, ultimately, the coveted Opel Calibra prize car. In the process, I had as much fun as I have had since owning GT4. :cheers:

Summing up, I think in the end, all that may be needed in upgrades is a stage 3 or 4 turbo, levels 1,2, & 3 weight reduction (when I added level 3 a-pec points dropped from 200 to around 100), super-soft racing tires (at least in respect to Infineon and Seattle), and probably, but perhaps not necessarily, full-custom transmission and suspension.

If you haven't already, give the Speedster Cup a try, and, if you already have, go back and do it again. I plan to often. ;)

GREAT Write-Up Old Man ! 👍
I've been so busy cleaning up "loose ends" & closing in on 100% I'd kind of forgotten about the Speedster Series. THANX for reminding me to do it again...O.G. :D

Well worth the read Old Man (though it appears I have ya by a couple years)!!! 👍 I keep saying I learned more about racing in GT4 by racing this series (over and over) than any others hands down. You are right, folks who want a challenge should give this a go 'round.

Nice write-up!!! 👍

phattboy

Good read!
Will have to give the Speedster cup a try, I've had many many fun laps of the real Nürburgring in a NA Speedster, and passenger laps in some seriously tuned ones, and just love this car.

Ricky from Italy took his (originally NA) Speester, lightened it by about 100kg, and slapped on a supercharger for about 240hp. He's now faster than the Ring-Viper :)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kedelbach/detail?.dir=81b5&.dnm=a1ec.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kedelbach/detail?.dir=81b5&.dnm=805d.jpg&.src=ph

Also rode in this Vauxhaul VXR - this is 1 of 50 special editions put out by Vauxhaul (UK Opel). Each starts as an VX220 Turbo (same as Speedster turbo), and then gets lightened, and fitted with race suspension and tires:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kedelbach/detail?.dir=e94c&.dnm=2238.jpg&.src=ph

Either VXR or Speedster SC can lap the (full) Nordschleife in about 8:30.

Then there's my rental NA:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kedelbach/detail?.dir=6933&.dnm=a738.jpg&.src=ph

Which takes about 9:15, on shagged tires :)

Awesome cars, sucks that they can't be imported into the US. Low mileage, 2 or 3 year old ones are selling for 15,000€ in Germany right now, half of new price...

Will be renting another Speedster on May 13th for another Nürburgring trip, can't wait!!!

cheers
Kurt

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/who/details.php?u=167

thanks for the advice i may be able to do this cup after all and i can finish the other showroom cup which was the aston martin one and then i can move on the endurance.

I easily won all races with a Turbo model Speedster with a few engine upgrades (race exhaust and chip), Nos, suspension and transmission upgrades. I had to add about 10 kg of Ballast to get 200 points. The races were not hard in my game.
However trying to get 200 points in the Nissan (GTR, Silvia, & Z ) events are prooving way more complicated.
Does the hardness of certain events change from game to game?

Great write up old man!

For higher points and less money you can do it with the NA speedster with Stage 3 turbo and R4 tyres as your only mods. The trick is to stick to the racing line and not come in too fast on every corner like the AI does...

i will have to try the racing tires because ive tried this series so many times. i have a fully upgraded speedster turbo but forgot the tires.

Nobody believes me, but I have a replay.
I won the seattle 200 A-SPEC!!!

cool i'd like to see it, alos i'd like to know ur upgrades that u had to do it.

I think this is a fantastic writeup, i've strugled many of times trying to do this and gave up every time. I think it is possibly the hardest race i've come across, not including missions (haven't tried the f1 race yet).

Hopefully with this report i will be able to do it

tyvm oldman and everyone who posted gd info 👍

I found it to be one of the easiest in the game. That is, if you give it full full upgrades and lower the final gear to give it superior acceleration.

I hope nobody gets mad for me reviving an old thread, but I just did Grand Valley for 200pts.

Mods were:
Exhaust - Racing
Brakes - Racing + Controller (set at 6, 7)
Engine - Engine Balancing, Racing Chip
Drivetrain - Trans Full Control, Triple Plate Clutch, Racing Flywheel, Full Custom Limited Slip
Turbo - Stage 2
Tires - Racing Soft (R4)
Other - Stage 2 Weight reduction

I set the transmission to 9 with the default ratios. With the engine balance I was way into the red on the tach in 5th at the end of the straight, but it didn't cut out. 10 might be better, but I liked the better acceleration of 9.

If anyone wants the suspension and limited slip settings, I will post those, and the results of the next 4 races. Otherwise I will let this thread slip back into obscurity.

Nothing wrong with reviving old threads as long as you're adding something to it.

YEah, it's better to revive an old thread than to start a new one if an older thread already exists. Just keep your post on topic and don't try to answer someone's question if it's more than a few weeks old if that question has already been answered.

Back