Lotus Elise Questions

• Thread starter bengee
  • 23 comments
Well. I tried to contact lotus, but they don't have a "contact us" on the US website. So i contacted a dealer asking them how much the car will cost, if the exige will ever come to the usa, and how big the engine bay is. Anybody know or know a way for me to get into contact with lotus?

There is little possibilty this would happen. They are caught up in plans for the next Elise, an Esprit replacement, perhaps something between the two, and the possibility of a 2+2. The current Elise starts at 40K$ MSRP, so maybe 50K$ estimate for the Exige, if it were to come?

The engine bay is the same size on the Exige S2 as the current Elise.

If you still want more info, contact your local Lotus dealership, they might help. Lotus PR really is sub-par though. More help can be found at:

www.elistalk.com
www.exiges.com

Hope that helps.

No it isn't.

There was extensive body modifications done to the car for that. It was called the Esthi Elise.

Put it this way, the Rover K-series 4 pot fits, the Civic's Type R fits. That sized engine goes in, something like a rover KV6 doesn't fit though.

I think you can also have a small supercharger aswell. I don't know how much extra room this takes up but I imagine some body work will be needed.

eliseracer
No it isn't.

There was extensive body modifications done to the car for that. It was called the Esthi Elise.

Put it this way, the Rover K-series 4 pot fits, the Civic's Type R fits. That sized engine goes in, something like a rover KV6 doesn't fit though.

you say that as though esthi is the only company to have stuffed a v6 in an elise engine bay.

esthi was the second company (car?) that i saw with that particular V6. wish i had a link or picture, but that was quite a while ago.

I emailed lotus via their uk site, but they still havent responded. I am interested in dimensions so i could fit what i would like in there... and as a porsche fan it wouldnt be a v6....

My step bro has an elise s2, i can safely say that the K-series is tight fit as it is, anything any larger would need some modification, perhaps getting rid of the luggage compartment could accomodate something larger? - this would alter the elise's weight balance, something that makes the elise such a fine handler in the first place.

neanderthal
you say that as though esthi is the only company to have stuffed a v6 in an elise engine bay.

esthi was the second company (car?) that i saw with that particular V6. wish i had a link or picture, but that was quite a while ago.

Esthi wasn't the company. The official name was the Esthi <2.4, made by the company Brandes & Dschüdow. It was an Audi V6 fitted in it. It is the more known V6 covnersion, because of its publicity in the media (internet and magazine covers).

No body mods? Huh?
6384-4.jpg

:lol: yeah it is being exposed quite a bit there. Oh I am in school right now and I have no clue what I am doing on GTP :lol: oh well I dont have cable internet at home yet because of some conflict so I have to wait till my parents get back. Oh I think the teacher is telling us something important. Gotta go. PS Bengee are you gonna buy a Lotus?

ExigeExcel
I think he might be...

Couldn't they put the 1.8ltr V6 from the Mazda Mx-6 (can never remember it's name but Famine has one)?
Famine has an MX-3. The MX-6 has a 2.5 V6 but I think both engines have the same external dimensions. It seems to be relatively easy to fit an MX-3 with the 2.5 V6.

I'd think that they would go for the newer Toyota lump over the Mazda one anyday... The Toyota VVTL-I also seemed more tunable (and the emissions, reliability bits). They come 190hp, and with the Lotus stage 2 exhaust, you're looking at a couple digits more, perhaps. Funny how Toyota themselves have lower numbers for their own motor.

How is the 1.8 V6? I haven't heard much good about it...

And for the engine cover on the B&D Esthi, I like it like that, racecar like. They did a very pretty job on the car EXCEPT the front wing, holy carp that thing is ugly!!! It looks like a 9 yearold photoshopped it in.

front.jpg

ExigeExcel
Couldn't they put the 1.8ltr V6 from the Mazda Mx3?

Maybe, you could also put an old 1.5l Civic motor... why would you want to though? :) It's more cylinders, but less power, probably more weight too.

I would be perfectly happy with a completely stock Elise. It's like the MR2, but even better!

I think a rotary would suit it great, i mean, rotors are tiny as heck man and they produce amazing power for their size. That would be an easy solution...and provide an engine warranty tho.

I don't think they'd like that kind of power delivery. The chassis has been tuned to VERY precise inputs from the wheel and throttle. The powerband a rotary provides doesn't suit the little car. Just imagine what Colin Chapman would say?!?!

On the waranties, the Toyota unit is "apparently" very reliable, well into its life. What did they say, nothing to replace for at least 50,000miles??!!?

what i meant about the engine warranty is that after so many miles a rotary starts to go screwy and can blow up at any given moment...of course regular maintenance would put that moment farther off into the future but its innevitable. Also, couldnt they achieve the torque (or lack-there-of) and hp with carefully placed air restrictors? Im not anti Toyota tho, toyota makes an amazing car that never dies but for big power in a small package i'd still go with a rotary.

Rotaries are not that efficient and 2 rotors only make power with a turbo or supercharger. 4 rotors are awesome but although they are great for their size and weight, its not the best engine. It still has the normal down points or any performance engine and the particular down points of a rotary. Lotus still has not responded to my questions and i doubt they will. The main reason i am asking is because i am sick of four bangers, and would be looking to wither put another engine in or modifying the toyota engine extremely to make more than 200hp (what i believe it is).

The HP is 190 (some say 189) from Lotus. I am sure there are people out there working on turbo units for the Elise, but not many have come up because the people that have them currently in the states have been on waiting lists for a long time and are too hardcore to change their cars from stock. Like I said, check out EliseTalk, they miiiiight be able to help, although I don't think anyone off that site has installed a turbo unit on the fourbanger. Maybe also check in with some of the VX220/Speedster communities, they might have some tuners on their sites that can help you out (I do beleive that the engine bay size is the same).

My suggestion: go to a Lotus dealership and test drive an Elise. I doubt you'll want more ;)

From Bengee:
Rotaries are not that efficient and 2 rotors only make power with a turbo or supercharger. 4 rotors are awesome but although they are great for their size and weight, its not the best engine. It still has the normal down points or any performance engine and the particular down points of a rotary. Lotus still has not responded to my questions and i doubt they will. The main reason i am asking is because i am sick of four bangers, and would be looking to wither put another engine in or modifying the toyota engine extremely to make more than 200hp (what i believe it is).

so, what you want from the new lotus is like a hi-tech 14.litre V/flat 6? I'd go with the boxer since it such a nice low centre of gravity and adds to the superb handling but im not sure it would be able to fit without extensivlely modifying the body or chassis...

I would prefer a flat 6 but hey, if it wont fit without major modification there are other ways to achieving horsepower. I will check out elise talk and some vx220 talk...

Back