Lotus Elise vs Opel Speedster vs Hommell Berlinette

Speedy Samurai

Speedium
Premium
Australia
Sydney
Gai-Gun
Britain, Germany, and France go head-to-head (to-head) in this mid-engine sports car shootout!

Let’s face it; everyone wants a sports car. Well, maybe not everyone. But all the cool people want a sports car. And you, being cool, want a sports car too.
“Which one do I buy?” you may be asking yourself.
We’re here to give you a little help with that tough decision.

We’ve selected three cars, from three different European countries. All mid-engine, rear wheel drive. (Because nothing says ‘sports car’ like an engine mounted mid-longitudinally.) No sports car is cheap. Well, no sports car worth the money is cheap. These three are more ‘moderately priced’, meaning you won’t have to mortgage your home to purchase one.

The Contestants

From Britain: the Lotus Elise ‘00

Hailing from Germany: the Opel Speedster ‘00

And representing France: the Hommell Berlinette R/S ‘99

To get a good picture of where each car sits in this comparison, first we need to look at:

The Numbers

Lotus 41,060cr 120hp 123.97ft/lb torque 714kg

Opel 44,690cr 144hp 149.72ft/lb torque 850kg

Hommell 47,360cr 169hp 144.65ft/lb torque 950kg

We can see the Lotus is the least expensive, least powerful car. It is also significantly less heavy, which is important. The Opel is the middleman in this chart while the Hommell seems to be the heavy hitter. We’re excited to see how this plays out. The information packs we received from the manufacturers are, like the cars, all very similar (as you can imagine). Each one lists a lap around the Nurburgring (the litmus test for sports cars) around the 9 minute mark. While we find this interesting we prefer to disregard this material and conduct our own tests.

First we take the cars to the test track. (Yes, more numbers. Numbers are a very important part of automobile comparisons.)

Top Speed 0-400m 0-1000m
Lotus 219.99km/h 16.076s 29.085s

Opel 231.95km/h 15.654s 28.288s

Hommell 237.54km/h 16.463s 29.003s

So the Opel is the fastest accelerating car to 1000 meters while the Hommell seems slow to 400 meters but picks it up after that. The Lotus manages to hang with the big kids for the first kilometer before dropping off. Interesting, but still not enough information.

Midfield Raceway

We went to our favorite country-side racetrack, Midfield Raceway, to get some serious hands-on time with these cars.
Midfield is one of the better tracks to drive when testing all facets of a car’s performance. It has a long straight and some sweeping lefts and rights. It has an elongated S-turn which really puts a car’s body roll on display. It has a small S leading to a hairpin leading to an uphill section.

Midfield will show us which car is worth the investment.

We had all three cars for a couple of days so we were able to do numerous laps in each. Thus giving us all the information we needed to render:

The Verdict

#3 Hommell Berlinette R/S ‘99
Lap Time: 1’31.320 Top Speed: 196km/h

Yes, the Berlinette is the most powerful car of the three and fastest in a straight line. On a course like Midfield, it was the slowest. Its extra weight and looser suspension made its presence felt at the elongated S-turn. We had to brake before entering the S or risk succumbing to excess body roll. Turn in is very responsive. So, while understeer wasn’t a problem, oversteer was something we found ourselves having to deal with. A fun car to drive, but not as refined as the other two. And the fact it is the most expensive doesn’t help its cause.

#2 Lotus Elise ‘00
Lap Time: 1’30.540 Top Speed: 190km/h

The least powerful, but lightest of the three, the Elise makes up for its power deficiencies by sporting a fantastic suspension. (Would we expect anything less from Lotus?) No oversteer to deal with; at all. Very limited body-roll. In fact, we could take the S flat out and the Lotus just grinned and bore it. It does hint at understeer, we discovered at the sweepers. But the Lotus never lost grip. Even with the tires squealing, the Elise still kept its grip on the track. Of course, not everything is perfect. If you drop the RPMs too low on the Elise, its lack of power makes it difficult to regain the lost speed. Braking is more than adequate, with the car being so light. I would have liked to see the Elise with more power, but I will have to wait to drive big brothers 111S and 111R.

#1 Opel Speedster ‘00
Lap Time: 1’29.930 Top Speed: 194km/h

The Opel falls in between the Lotus and the Hommell in every category; price, power, speed, weight. But where it is number 1 is where it really counts: On the track. It emits more body roll than the Lotus and can be twitchy, but it is very forgivable and a joy to drive instead of a chore. Braking and acceleration are superb. The turn in is better than the Lotus without leading to oversteer like the Hommell. A slight lift off the throttle before entering the S was sufficient to settle the car through the turn. Its mid price point makes it the pick of the bunch. And if anyone, for some reason, thinks it lacks power, there is a Turbo version available (albeit more expensive).

Conclusion

In the end, Germany, with the Opel Speedster, finds itself on top in the sub 50,000 credit, mid-engine club. Britain, with the lovable Elise is just behind. And France? While the Hommell Berlinette is the best French sports car we have driven in quite some time, France still finds itself playing catch-up. Of course, the real winner in these contests of automotive supremacy is you; the Buyer.

Cool... just curious, the 111R would be past the price point of these three?

I think that low-rpm tractability is also an issue with the Toyota-engined 111R (endemic to that motor, I guess). Not surprising the Speedster is fastest, but it's close. That Hommell is really a dog compared to those two, though, and I feel the Tommy Kaira would be a better match... or is it past the price entry point already?

As usual, good test... and terrific photography. :D

Nice one speedy! 👍

I've often wondered what that Hommel was about, and now I know! Incidentally both the Opel and the Vauxhall VX220 were designed and built by Lotus. It's kind of a stretch version of the Elise...

niky
Cool... just curious, the 111R would be past the price point of these three?

I think that low-rpm tractability is also an issue with the Toyota-engined 111R (endemic to that motor, I guess). Not surprising the Speedster is fastest, but it's close. That Hommell is really a dog compared to those two, though, and I feel the Tommy Kaira would be a better match... or is it past the price entry point already?

As usual, good test... and terrific photography. :D

Hi Niky,
I picked these three cars because they were all European and under 50,000. Also the Lotus and Opel are year 2000 models with the Hommell being 1999. It didn't seem fair to test the opel against the 111s or 111r as they are a couple of model years newer, more powerful, and more expensive. I think the test turned out close enough that these cars are close to each other.

very nice....just a curious thing....has anyone noticeed that the opel speedster can bet a Evo V111 on the straights AND the turns on the NUrb' 4 hr....idk wat to say but its freaki

@ christofire - I think he's saying that an Opel Speedster beating an Evo on the straights and in the Nurburgring 4h endurance is freaky.

@ TeamWilliams F1 -
Terms of Service
No slang words that promote laziness, ie; "r", "u", "plz", etc.
Please spell better next time. I barely understood your post.

@ speedy_samurai - Great detailed race report! And great pics, too! However, I have one question. Did you conduct this comparison with a-spec or b-spec?

Duck7892

Duck7892
@ speedy_samurai - Great detailed race report! And great pics, too! However, I have one question. Did you conduct this comparison with a-spec or b-spec?

Duck7892

I did it all in A-spec. I drove each car for 20 laps to get the fastest time and to learn its characteristics. They were all equipped with N3 tires and an additional 73kg of weight because that is how much I weigh.

sorry duck....but can anyone help me here....would it helped if i explained??

ok im at the back of the line and i just so happen to notice that there is an opel speedster in 1st place.I think..."wow...this is going to be an easy practice lap".BOY WAS I WRONG.....that thing was betting my evo,z, and subaru impreza. I first thought was a glitch but then it happened again and i was furious.So i checked the hoursepower on it and it had about 200 hp less than all of those cars.I was astonished and bought it.IT SUCKS FOR ME!!!!So i get my in my skyline and wishe for luck.This time it wasnt a opel...it was an elise.This car also did the samething...i was able to stay ahead but he was right on my tail!!!.(wierdish).well i was flaborgasted...and i tried again but exited.This time i was against an ASL..watever its called.Same thing happened and this time i was lossing.im still havin troulde...the only thing that i can stay a safe distance away from hi was in my M5...please help me

-Team Williams

I cant get to my ps2 at the moment, i love the Vauxhall VX220, which is the same thing as the Opel Speedster, is there any difference between them in game performance? Iwas just wondering why they put them both in.

TeamWilliams F1
ok im at the back of the line and i just so happen to notice that there is an opel speedster in 1st place.I think..."wow...this is going to be an easy practice lap".BOY WAS I WRONG.....that thing was betting my evo,z, and subaru impreza. I first thought was a glitch but then it happened again and i was furious.So i checked the hoursepower on it and it had about 200 hp less than all of those cars.I was astonished and bought it.IT SUCKS FOR ME!!!!....the only thing that i can stay a safe distance away from hi was in my M5...please help me

-Team Williams

Which race was that? They weigh about the same as a bag of crisps/chips, so they're always going to be quick. The Opel Speedster race is known as one of the hardest one make races to win too, so there ain't any easy answers. It shouldn't be too hard to learn to drive tho', but it'll be a twitchy little so-snd-so, so be gentle and subtle with the controls, and learn its little ways.

By the way, how did you check the horsepower? I don't know how to do that for a particular race, only in the sales halls. Are you sure they hadn't tuned it for the race you were in?

FastEddie12
Which race was that? They weigh about the same as a bag of crisps/chips, so they're always going to be quick. The Opel Speedster race is known as one of the hardest one make races to win too, so there ain't any easy answers. It shouldn't be too hard to learn to drive tho', but it'll be a twitchy little so-snd-so, so be gentle and subtle with the controls, and learn its little ways.

I believe he's talking about the 'Ring 4hr....

Any race you enter into that has an Opel Speedster you should assume that the car is Modified. You should also not underestimate the Speedster. It has huge potential, especially on the 'Ring. I have a Speedster Turbo fully modified w/ only a Stage 2 weight reduction that pulls a 6'46.xxx on the 'Ring.

I really don't understand why people think the One Make race is difficult. Of course your not going to go into it w/ a stock or mildly modified car and win...
I find this to work well for either Speedster and net you 200pts in each race...
~270-315hp
Stage 2 weight reduction
Brake controler
Fully modified Trans and drivetrain
Racing Medium Tires

FastEddie12
OK, name a one make race that's harder...

Uhhhhhh..... :indiff: ....can't think of any! :dopey:

But seriously, it's only got the rep for being horribly difficult because the first instinct people have is to buy the turbo and race it stock. Then they have to go back and buy tires... then they have to go back and buy a bigger turbo... then... etc... and they're wondering how cars with less hp can keep beating them... until they realize that everyone in the field is fully modified and that the NA Speedster has a huge weight advantage.

FastEddie12

By the way, how did you check the horsepower? I don't know how to do that for a particular race, only in the sales halls. Are you sure they hadn't tuned it for the race you were in?

That was on the Nuremburg 4hr enduro...i was in a stock Evo VIII with sh tyres.......if i mentioned it....this happens with the Lotus Elise,Opel Speedster Turbo and the ASL...(not quite sure how to spell it)....and i think the Renult Clio V6 phase 2....im kinda scared of this...i dont know if its a glitch or it they are tuned....(which they cant be because i checked their stats)...... :nervous:

TeamWilliams F1
That was on the Nuremburg 4hr enduro...i was in a stock Evo VIII with sh tyres.......if i mentioned it....this happens with the Lotus Elise,Opel Speedster Turbo and the ASL...(not quite sure how to spell it)....and i think the Renult Clio V6 phase 2....im kinda scared of this...i dont know if its a glitch or it they are tuned....(which they cant be because i checked their stats)...... :nervous:

Please enliten us on how your checking the stats of the other cars. The only way I can think of doing this is opening and closing the preview until the car thats in last place is show...thus listing the power and tires used. In fact I just did this until I got the Opel Speedster to be shown and it listed it at 362hp...seems modified to me.

wow....thats odd....it said it was totally stock when i raced it and i even went out and bout it stock....then i modified mit and it still was a piece of crap....hummmm

niky
But seriously, it's only got the rep for being horribly difficult because the first instinct people have is to buy the turbo and race it stock. Then they have to go back and buy tires... then they have to go back and buy a bigger turbo... then... etc... and they're wondering how cars with less hp can keep beating them... until they realize that everyone in the field is fully modified and that the NA Speedster has a huge weight advantage.

Hear hear!

The NA speedster can win the series with just stage 3 turbo and R4 tyres. The AI is always coming in too hot in the turns after long straights and if you try to follow them you just end up loosing a ton of time. But if you drive proper lines it is pretty straight forward. You can even go faster than them in the long straights if you come out of the turns properly.

BTW I did the series both ways (turbo and NA):
Turbo: R4 Tyres, Turbo 3, Exhaust, Tranny, WR1, WR2 and Chip
NA: Turbo 3 and R4 tyres.

Through my own game progression I've now got an 111R, a motorsport elise and a speedster turbo. I bought the 111R elise as I like them and remembered a great handling car from GT3. This think seems to have changed a lot between games. It feels much looser and doesn't track a line. The stock setup doesn't inspire confidence for me.

The motorsport version must be better, right? A good few hard-earned credits later and no, it isn't! It doesn't feel much different and doesn't handle much better. I get the speedster to compare and wow - this was what I was looking for!

Decent enough go, corners like nothing else and is so stable. Gone in too hot? No probs - anchor on then pitch in. It's great for braking into corners and powering through. Easiest ~120 pt races I've run so far.

yes your right but now i need you to explain to me how a STOCK EVO IIIV can bet me in that car and other cars.......i cant even stay 10 secs behind the evo before he passes me.its almost like im jiyned or somthing......im really gonna do some research now.

Before you were saying that your stock Evo couldn't keep up - if this is the case then I'm guessing the handling of the car lets the computer AI really push on. I found it can enter corners very fast, has excellent grip mid corner and lets you get on the throttle early too. It's fast everywhere.

If you're in the Speedster and an Evo is beating you then maybe it just needs a bit more practise. When I'm driving a car it usually takes two or three races to get a good feel for it and a few more before I'm putting in good times. I found it took a good few races to adjust to how much faster I could barrel into corners.

To illustrate this, lets look at the end of the back straight on Midfield where you go through a left-right chicane then a tight 1st or 2nd gear left hairpin. In a fast car I'd be approaching at a fair lick, and need to be on the brakes while the car is still unsettled from the chicane. This either needs earlier light braking, or to be ready to control any slides and try to make sure they will leave me pointing at the hairpin. In the speedster I could full-throttle through the chicane, stand on the brakes, round the hairpin and off. No drama.

I still don't know how you can find out that the cars you're racing against are stock. Even if the PS2 says non-modified cars, it doesn't seem to follow its own rules.

christofire
I still don't know how you can find out that the cars you're racing against are stock. Even if the PS2 says non-modified cars, it doesn't seem to follow its own rules.

I think the general consensus is that 'non modified' means that the car should not be a purposely built car. That includes prototypes/concepts, race cars and production cars that have been turned into race cars by way of replacing most of the car and leaving just the shell. This means you can throw in a lot of mods on a production car without the car being discualified.

As far as checking if the cars you are racing are stock: do a preview of the race. It will show you the specs of one car. Go to the GTP car database and check the specs there (the database contains the stock specs). Repeat until you have previewed all/most of the cars. (Remember that in theory there are only 8 cars the game chooses from for each race )

And yes, it does not seem to follow the 'non modified' rules when choosing your opponents... nothing a few mod can't fix :)

Yup. You're not often racing against stockers.

And the Elises are much trickier in GT4 than they were in GT3, but that's alright. They were so good in GT3 you just HAD TO KNOW that it was nowhere near realistic.

TeamWilliams F1

Niky is right that these cars should be tricky to drive at the limit.

I've driven the Elise, Speedster Turbo (in the UK its a Vauxhall) and the Clio V6 MkII, they are not easy cars to drive hard, with mid-engine layouts and very short wheelbases they are very tricky on the limit in the real world.

The first generation Elise and the Clio V6 MkI are even trickier; unless you are very smooth and consistent with your steering, throttle and braking on cars like this you will find that they can be difficult to drive fast.

This is true both in GT4 and with the real things, having said that, don't underestimate the Evo VIII, its a very quick car and despite the body roll corners very quickly.

Regards

Scaff

Back