Lotus Esprit vs. Honda NSX

• Thread starter Hiroke
  • 22 comments
GTP_Reikro
This test was done using a DFP wheel. Please note that all cars was equipped with N2 tires and all driver assist systems turned off. Straight line times is the best time of three runs and laptimes is the best time of five laps at the Tsukuba circuit.

The Basics:
Price (Cr.), Power (Bhp) and Torque (lb ft)

Lotus Esprit V8
Price: 116. 250
Power: 350/6500
Torque: 295/4250

Honda NSX type S
Price: 103. 570
Power: 276/7300
Torque: 224/5300

There are a few things these two cars have in common. They are both mid-engined and they are both as old as the hills, the Honda 15 years, and the Lotus –taking into account that production ceased in 2004- an astonishing 28 years! But most important of all, they are both indecently fast.

Through the years surprisingly little has changed. Apart from minor styling changes over the years, the biggest addition to the Esprit was the introduction of a V8 engine in 1996. The NSX got its first major facelift in late 2001, following a displacement increase from 3 to 3.2-litres and the addition of a sixth gear in 1997. Having 80 more horses under the bonnet and weighing more than 100 kilos less than the NSX, it’s natural that the Esprit is faster in a straight line. With a 0-60 time of 5.1 seconds, the Esprit leaves the NSX trailing behind with a time of 5.6, and the gap widens as it reaches the 100mph mark posting a time of 11 seconds flat, the NSX following 1.5 seconds later. Having said that, the Esprit is considerably more difficult to get clean of the line, with its rear wheels lighting up rather easily requiring you to feather the throttle whereas the NSX puts its power down much more cleanly allowing full power to be applied earlier.

Of course power and speed figures is only part of the story, which is why I went to Tsukuba to see how they handle the corners. The Lotus first, and I’m pleasantly surprised with how responsive the engine is, despite being turbocharged. It’s just a shame that it has no character whatsoever. The turbos might be to blame for the lack of a decent exhausts note, but there is no denying that it sounds like a boring 4-cylinder rather than a V8. On the upside it is a very torquey unit which pulls cleanly from low revs and revs freely to the redline, despite sounding like it doesn’t want to. Boring the engine might be, but the chassis most definitely isn’t. Put simply, the Esprit is beautifully balanced. Push it into a corner and it will understeer, but a lift of the throttle will soon take care of that. Treat the Esprit gently however and it tracks straight and true with just a little bit of power oversteer at the exits of corners. The Esprit lapped the Tsukuba circuit in 1’5.22, this is one fast car. Time for the NSX to fight back and the first thing I notice is the sheer loveliness of the V6. Tuneful, smooth and willing to sing all the way to 8000rpm, this is a brilliant engine. Not only does the NSX sing, it can also dance. Despite being heavier than the Esprit, the NSX feels more fluent on the track. Where the Esprit’s nose feels glassy the NSX’s feels planted to the ground though it will still understeer when pushing it, but it’s much less pronounced than in the Esprit. Although the NSX is less keen to wag its tail under power it can be made to slide if you flick it into a corner with a trailing throttle. Just make sure you don’t go too over the top. The NSX is hot on the Esprit’s tail but unable to beat it with a lap time of 1’5.92. Amazing when you consider that it weighs more and has much less power, this shows what can be done with a well tuned chassis.

Personal preference may be subjective, and it is difficult to ignore when choosing between these two cars. Unfortunately for the NSX, I always had a soft spot for the Esprit. If you’re main concern is to go fast, then go for the Lotus. The Esprit gives you more bang for your money, they both cost about the same. It’s blisteringly fast and it handles brilliantly. Despite the disappointing engine it’s a car that I really love. But it is the Honda that ultimately wins my heart. It might not be quite as fast as the Esprit, but its engine is a masterpiece, which combined with its fine handling manners makes it a more involving car to drive.

The Times: (Speed measured in mph)
0 - 60, 0 - 100, Top speed, 1 - 400m, 0 - 1000m and Best lap

Lotus Esprit V8
0 - 60: 5.1
0 - 100: 11.0
Top speed: 192
1 - 400m: 13.530
0 - 1000m: 23.912
Best lap: 1'5.221

Honda NSX type S
0 - 60: 5.6
0 - 100: 12.5
Top speed: 176
1 - 400m: 13.874
0 - 1000m: 24.874
Best lap: 1'5.942

Comments welcome.

rollazn
Is it just me - or is there something wrong with the 1000m time?

Also why did you use the NSX-R? It's faster.

Thanks for pointing out the error, I corrected it. Why didn't I choose the NSX-R? I have bigger plans for it.

yeah ok, but i suggested the latest lancer and latest subaru :P

what.. kind of car would be good to set up against the R34 skyline.. what about the Ruf.. whats it called (cant check doing endurance :P) the one with the wierd wing..

Great write-up about two old friends out to pasture in the real world but not in GT4. How about the SRT-10 Viper vs. the MB SLR Mclaren that will be interesting.

Nike 1 vs toyota triathalon. Delta s4 vs. rs200. those are two that would work.

Oh and compare the two 1886 cars. I know that will be painfull.

After watching Best MOTORing's Roaring VTEC, I have been in the process of doing my own NSX comparisons.

I will be using the Honda NSX Type S 2004 and pitching against the NSX-R, Type R, Type S, and Type S Zero.

Great write up!

Nice write up..in real life the NSX doesn't understeer at all, not one bit. I can't see the S-Zero being worse. The Esprit is a fabulous car to drive on track but something GT4 doesn't pick up on is that the gearbox almost ruins the experience and the car is very cramped!

I had wondered what the Lotus would be like compared to the NSX, so well done for beating me to it! I guess its not a suprise that i have 6 NSXs in my garage!

-Rob

McLaren F1GTR
After watching Best MOTORing's Roaring VTEC, I have been in the process of doing my own NSX comparisons.

I will be using the Honda NSX Type S 2004 and pitching against the NSX-R, Type R, Type S, and Type S Zero.

Great write up!
Very good idea, i can make my comparaison between

Impreza vs. Lancer Evolution (Best Motoring Volume 5) (Too bad there's no Spec C Type RA in GT4)

RX8 Type S vs. RX-7 Spirit R Type A vs. Roadster (Rotary Reborn)

(more :D)

And very good comparaison between the Esprit and NSX, good job!

The thing is, I haven't driven a NSX for real (yet), and I can only portray what I feel when playing a video game. Yes the gearbox in the Esprit is rubbish, but unfortunately things like proper steering feel, clutch weight, gearbox precision and even interior space and trim quality is absent when playing GT4, wich does somewhat limit my reports.

On the other hand, what I also have done before is write my own reviews based on collective opinions in various magazines. But what I am doing here is merely 'testing' the cars in GT4, and I prefer to keep with what I experience in the game only.

By the way, thanks Ryosuke_Gumna, and everyone else, for your comments and suggestions. You can read another report I did between the Audi TT, Nissan 350Z and Alfa GT in the forums.

Back