Low-Angle and High-Angle Drifting: Affected by Technique or Settings?

• Thread starter N35QU1K
  • 52 comments
Hello, all.

As some of you know, I've been making drifting videos for about 7 months now, and in most of my videos, my drifts are low-angle. For a long time, I've longed for the beautiful, high-angle drifts of many of you, but have been unable to acheive it, as I lose too much speed and am unable to complete the corner.

I was wondering if ones ability to complete high-angle drifts is all in the technique used, the car's settings, or the car itself, and i hope its not the car...

So, yes, what are you guys' opinions or factual knowings on this?

neither......the answer is niether....
the ablitiy to creat a action like the one you speak of is more towards how you come into the corner and at what speed.....
technique and car settings are only + contributers to making a car drift at a "high angle" or "low angle".

An easy (but oh so cheap) way to accomplish wider angle drifts is to load up the rear with ballast so it drive similar to a RUF. Naturally, this can be done with all cars. It can be viewed by some as cheating, though.

my advice?
go to the drift settings depot buddy :)
or if you drift awd stiffen front shocks and a.r.b's
and increase Vcd to 40-45

i only really drift awd so i cant help you too much :)

niallz06

nucesone
neither......the answer is niether....
the ablitiy to creat a action like the one you speak of is more towards how you come into the corner and at what speed.....

That would be under the realm of technique. The speed and attitude in which you come into a corner will determine what techniques are availible to use most times. Trailbraking, feint, braking drift, ebrake( :yuck: ), powerover, etc.

technique and car settings are only + contributers to making a car drift at a "high angle" or "low angle".

Technique and car settings ARE what determines how your car drifts. Just like in racing it determines your lap times.

Swift
That would be under the realm of technique. The speed and attitude in which you come into a corner will determine what techniques are availible to use most times. Trailbraking, feint, braking drift, ebrake( :yuck: ), powerover, etc.

Technique and car settings ARE what determines how your car drifts. Just like in racing it determines your lap times.

please don't tell me your seriouse....lol.......

nucesone
please don't tell me your seriouse....lol.......

I'm quite sure that Swift is serious (why else would he post) and maybe you would care to explain what you find hard to take so seriously?

Scaff

Swift

"speed and attitude" nice,but get serious for a moment.
to drift a high angle drift depends on the radius of the corner,the speed your traveling at,cars mass,and the traction holding you back......grippy or slippy
just like any corner the basics is most essential to the "drifting"
after this comes technique a + contributer to drifting......

:sly:

A low-angle or high-angle drift is depend to both. You can have a good technique, but the settings don't let your car to have great angles, and you may have a bad technique, good settings, and still have a low-angle because you can't control great angles. However, high-angle drift with hard tyres depends more on technique and power than settings, because if you can't start your car to drift, you just need to be more agressive at the entrance, but settings can help too in drifting.

For example, I started to gt with my own settings, but I didn't know how to put them like I wanted, but I was still able to drift with it, even with great understeer. Just about 2 or 3 years later I understood how spring rate really works.

I think that it is more important to train your technique than search for better settings, because the settings will make your drift easier, but won't make you drift, or make your drift better.

Xtreme Drifter
A low-angle or high-angle drift is depend to both. You can have a good technique, but the settings don't let your car to have great angles, and you may have a bad technique, good settings, and still have a low-angle because you can't control great angles. However, high-angle drift with hard tyres depends more on technique and power than settings, because if you can't start your car to drift, you just need to be more agressive at the entrance, but settings can help too in drifting.

For example, I started to gt with my own settings, but I didn't know how to put them like I wanted, but I was still able to drift with it, even with great understeer. Just about 2 or 3 years later I understood how spring rate really works.

I think that it is more important to train your technique than search for better settings, because the settings will make your drift easier, but won't make you drift, or make your drift better.

finally some one with reason....good post...learning your car is the key to drifting.

nucesone
"speed and attitude" nice,but get serious for a moment.
to drift a high angle drift depends on the radius of the corner,the speed your traveling at,cars mass,and the traction holding you back......grippy or slippy
just like any corner the basics is most essential to the "drifting"
after this comes technique a + contributer to drifting......

:sly:

What you listed are mere conditions that a driver faces when entering a corner....To drift at a high angle TECHNIQUE will get you a lot farther then settings.... Speed and attitude are parts of technique so i think swift was right on....

If you find yourself drifting with low angle I suggest you continue to hone your skills...you will find that with time your angle will become larger an larger....all in all to drift well you need solid basic technique....settings on the car may help you drift....but it may help reenforce bad habits that will not work on a stock setup car... My advice to get better....screw settings drift stock...worked for me

dking
What you listed are mere conditions that a driver faces when entering a corner....To drift at a high angle TECHNIQUE will get you a lot farther then settings.... Speed and attitude are parts of technique so i think swift was right on....

If you find yourself drifting with low angle I suggest you continue to hone your skills...you will find that with time your angle will become larger an larger....all in all to drift well you need solid basic technique....settings on the car may help you drift....but it may help reenforce bad habits that will not work on a stock setup car... My advice to get better....screw settings drift stock...worked for me

mere i think not...basics are the foundation of anything in life...and a game doesn't escape that saying.

like i said technique only puts you sideways but what drives you throught the corner.....the basics...= inertia....

i was driving and found myself using diffrent technique....but i would pull off the same drift.....and why because i would hit the same line over and over again with the same car=mass,same speed=force,and various technique=change in motion.

and please explain this additude thing.

NA-MONSTERS

I think it's affected more by technique than settings. You can go for a high angle fast line, or a high angle slow line. Isn't that just two different "techniques"? I mean, speed drifting and show of course.

Technique, mainly line is what I find as the determining factor, but the car does need a proper setup to handle a high angle. I've had plenty of cars that before I tuned it out of them, would carry beautiful high angles, only to snap back and send you spinning out of control. Nucesone, from what I've seen in your post, you don't do the same exhibition drifting that people are trying to achieve, so you hit the same line over and over, and yes you're going to get essentially the same drift, change your lines and the car is going to drift diffrently.

Well, the angle shouldn't really depend on the tech nor the settings, or speed. It needs them all.

Swift

actually i disagree with your emotion towards e-braking...in all my drifting vids i use e-brake and i can usually (not in my vids..nowadays) get in 50-85 degree drifts. my adivce that always works for me is use ebraking....just go into corner earlier while holding e-brake then let go of e-brak when u get to about mid-corner then continue drifting it out they way u do to end the drift...works for meh

Tevshaun
actually i disagree with your emotion towards e-braking...in all my drifting vids i use e-brake and i can usually (not in my vids..nowadays) get in 50-85 degree drifts. my adivce that always works for me is use ebraking....just go into corner earlier while holding e-brake then let go of e-brak when u get to about mid-corner then continue drifting it out they way u do to end the drift...works for meh
Because Swift doesn't use it at all, E-Braking is use to correct things or start it.

Well, i've read all your replies, and i have reason to think that the only reason that I cant pull high-angles for long periods of time is the fact that the car I drive (SS AE86) is rear heavy, and if I angle it too much, the rear tires end up pushing the car into the apex of the corner rather than pushing the car along the path of the corner, probably because i just lose too much speed, and the car's center of gravity ends up in the rear. Confused? I'll try and come up with a picture or a video or something... Because I've confused myself...

Well if it works, I really won't say no to that...

The only time I use the e-brake these days is to initiate the drift when I'm using under powered cars and only rarely with 200hp+ cars on very tight low-entry speed corners.

Not using the E-brake is not really a requirement when drifting, but it can be a gague for good technique and understanding of how drifting works. I personally envy the guys out there who can swing the back end of FF cars without e-braking (Like Cool Geekz).👍

N35QU1K
Well, i've read all your replies, and i have reason to think that the only reason that I cant pull high-angles for long periods of time is the fact that the car I drive (SS AE86) is rear heavy, and if I angle it too much, the rear tires end up pushing the car into the apex of the corner rather than pushing the car along the path of the corner, probably because i just lose too much speed, and the car's center of gravity ends up in the rear. Confused? I'll try and come up with a picture or a video or something... Because I've confused myself...

I Understand what your saying. I have found the same issue with this car, and so have many others, With evidence to support it in various Vids. "Bamboo" comes to mind when i watched his video. In this particular car, i would suggest technique to be the issue.

Trike Kid
Technique, mainly line is what I find as the determining factor, but the car does need a proper setup to handle a high angle. I've had plenty of cars that before I tuned it out of them, would carry beautiful high angles, only to snap back and send you spinning out of control.esone, from what I've seen in your post, you don't do the same exhibition drifting that people are trying to achieve, so you hit the same line over and over, and yes you're going to get essentially the same drift, change your lines and the car is going to drift diffrently.
thats driver error, not setup or car error. when everyone was a noob they could drift, but they would always get snapback. well thats what i got when i was learning in the first few months. but when you get snapback, it is all in the drivers inputs. i almost never get snapback anymore, and i drift mainly stock cars on xlink. if i do get snapback, it is usually from someone hitting my front end on the inside.

if you want more angle, you're gonna have to come in faster and throw it harder. you gotta push your limits. if you're not spinning out, you're not trying hard enough.

TRi
if you want more angle, you're gonna have to come in faster and throw it harder. you gotta push your limits. if you're not spinning out, you're not trying hard enough.
👍 i have to agree with you there tri.
and if you ARE spinning out, your either trying too hard, or your doing it on purpose :crazy:

TRi

Yep, after reading all the replies, I came to the same conclusion... Now I need the right settings and a good technique for a rear-heavy car...

N35QU1K
Yep, after reading all the replies, I came to the same conclusion... Now I need the right settings and a good technique for a rear-heavy car...

Settings you can find here, technique is going to be the tricky part. ;)

Suzuki
👍 i have to agree with you there tri.
and if you ARE spinning out, your either trying too hard, or your doing it on purpose :crazy:
or that you don't know anything and someone bothers you while you play.👍 :grumpy:

nucesone
mere i think not...basics are the foundation of anything in life...and a game doesn't escape that saying.

like i said technique only puts you sideways but what drives you throught the corner.....the basics...= inertia....

i was driving and found myself using diffrent technique....but i would pull off the same drift.....and why because i would hit the same line over and over again with the same car=mass,same speed=force,and various technique=change in motion.

and please explain this additude thing.

NA-MONSTERS

The basics in drifting is not only inertia....lol And if you are using different technique I highly doubt you are on the exact same line....but what does my experience count for....technique is more then just changing motion...er direction is the word you were probably looking for...
Attitude is very simple...it is the manner you control your cars mass and speed upon entry....
Btw please work on your grammer I get a headache reading your posts.

Tri is bang on with his short an sweet explanation...rock on u crazy foo

Back