Low HP drifting help.

• Thread starter MrBucket
  • 21 comments
Ok, first off, let me say that I am new to drifting... very new.

I read all of the guide to drifting, and it has helped immensely, but I have run into a snag of sorts.

My set up now is :

Suzuki Cappuccino :

-N2 tires front/N1 back.
-Racing Brakes [5/13]
-Racing Suspension :
---Spring Rate : 2.5 | 4.5
---Ride Height : 95
---Shocks (B) : 3|6
---Shocks (R) : 3|6
---Camber Angle : 3.0|1.5
---Toe Angle : 1|-1
---Stabilizers : 5|1
-Full Customize Transmission (set to 5)
-No aids
-Everything else is the most expensive I could find.

My main problem is that when trying to Power Oversteer, I lack the horsepower early on to kick out the back wheels unless I am already going near top speed. Anyone know of anything I can do? (Specifically, are any of my settings to blame?

MrBucket
Ok, first off, let me say that I am new to drifting... very new.

I read all of the guide to drifting, and it has helped immensely, but I have run into a snag of sorts.

My set up now is :

Suzuki Cappuccino :

-N2 tires front/N1 back.
-Racing Brakes [5/13]
-Racing Suspension :
---Spring Rate : 2.5 | 4.5
---Ride Height : 95
---Shocks (B) : 3|6
---Shocks (R) : 3|6
---Camber Angle : 3.0|1.5
---Toe Angle : 1|-1
---Stabilizers : 5|1
-Full Customize Transmission (set to 5)
-No aids
-Everything else is the most expensive I could find.

My main problem is that when trying to Power Oversteer, I lack the horsepower early on to kick out the back wheels unless I am already going near top speed. Anyone know of anything I can do? (Specifically, are any of my settings to blame?

first, with regards to the settings. Nothing looks out of the ordinary here, should be fine.
But, give it a try with the settings for spring rates and shocks reversed. (spring rate of 4.5 | 2.5 instead of 2.5 | 4.5). Nothing wrong with a stiffer rear, but just try it softer and see if things improve.
edit: also, if you have the fully customizeable LSD, set the initial torque settings way way up.

secondly, not all cars power over well in GT4. I dont have a Capuccino setup for drifting, so i'm not sure how it responds. What is its current hp?

the only solution may be to initiate the drift with some subtle feinting and/or lift off. Then after you have lost lateral adhesion in the rear, just keep on the gas and power through the rest of the turn.

the only cars that i have been able to initiate and hold a drift with using power-over only have been brutish powerhouse cars (ie. boring cars :sly: ). Most drifts I do have a slight feint, lift-off, or some combination of entry methods used to initiate a drift.

I was doing power over drifts with the Suzuki Cappuccino I used for the Suzuki Kei race with nothing but stock tires and a Nitrous Bottle.

Have to toss it some to get really good drifts...but it was a lot of fun smoking up Autumn Ring Mini in that little Car.

I tried reversing the spring rates like you said, and it helps in my longer, higher power drifts .My HP is now at 126, which only gives me enough kick to start a powerover if I am in about 4th gear or higher.

Also, Nitrous could be a great way to help initiate it at really low speeds! I'll have to try it out.

(Scratch this entirely, turns out I just got lucky with the NOS and E-Brake mid drift.)

Edit : I set the LSD to have Initial Torque all the way up, works fine!

just throw it into corners mate , i did it with a stock one lol , use road tires on the front and economy on the back.

Now I've tested a bit, and did a discovery of wich I'm not sure how it works, but try yo set bounce and rebounce dampers to 8 in front, and to 6 in back. It seems more forgiving that way. I usually have the height set up aroun 107 to 114 millimeter:tup:
I use this with 250BHP cars though. It's good for practice:idea:

Try it, I love the settings, make sure to use 1.5 chamber in front, and 0.5 chamber in back:tup: Don't know if it matters, but just give it a shot.

I like these kind of threads...Keep it up gentlemen.

I LIKE THEM TOO:D:tup: Thanks for the tip of putting LSD torque up high TS, it helped me out too, I just tried it and apparently it's a GREAT solution. I immediatly got drifting in my 205BHP MR2 1600 GT (a pretty old one at least) You can apparently ALWAYS learn more:D:P

U should try puttin more camber at the rear wheels, my Rx7 has 3.5 at the front and at the rear its 5.5...also try using the handbrake and if that doesnt work try to position the car when enterin the corner in the dirt so the rear wheels lose their grip

i found that rocking the car back an forth before the turn helps the back come around more then throwing once....i.e. for right hand turn....turn left right left then one more small right then gas.......it has helped my low hp drifting try it out!

generally to slide more, lower the ride height, stiffen the springs, uses harder tires(you have N1s in back already so you cant do this).
i would also recommend setting the rear stabilizer to 4 or 5 since your front is 5. also try making your shocks stronger or balanced differently.
higher camber in the rear, i think, makes you oversteer easier which would give you easier power over, maybe. you may have to set it higher than you think it should be such as 4 or 5 or more.

Monteclaro
U should try puttin more camber at the rear wheels, my Rx7 has 3.5 at the front and at the rear its 5.5...also try using the handbrake and if that doesnt work try to position the car when enterin the corner in the dirt so the rear wheels lose their grip

man, just take off the rear wheels and install some pizza platters.
How do you figure you're breaking lateral adhesion of the rear tires when you're practically driving them on the sidewalls??? :dunce:

ridiculous

if you get the car balance tuned decently well you can drift with the rear camber at 1 or less

ya know, i have found that the back sometimes does loose grip easier if i drop the camber from 1.0 to 0.5 or 0.0. i just heard somewhere, turning it up in the back induces oversteer and that would lead me to believe it would help in drifting.

i personally have never had the rear camber over 2.5 on a drift car at any point and almost always have 1.0.

yeah, what tankspanker said.

For low hp cars, you need proper weight shifting for drifting (lift off works good too). LSD helps alot.

Slight camber gives you better traction, but too much negative camber acts like no traction. All you really need for camber is 1 in front and 0 in the back. Negative camber is supposed to help keep your tires from folding under around corners. Too much negative camber defeats this purpose and gives you excess tire wear.

i dont screw round with much settings wise except the suspension, and its usually only lowering and raising the spring rates.

with lower hp cars, for me a combination of feint and lift-off drifting usually works alrite.

but thats just me, just experiment ;)

Wow, never thought to put Camber on the rear tires...I might have to tinker with my endless elise settings and see what that does...

I know the Toe In made it whip the tail around too quickly (even at just -1 Rear Toe In) so thats worth a try.

I always thought Camber was more for the front tires, so when the suspension is compressed, you maintain a good contact patch.

I run at 2.0 - 3.0 front and 0.5 rear on almost everything.

Wipe out all that **** what you have in your car. normal suspension works well. You dont need LSD, or anything expencive. Horse powers are ok. Add some weight to the back and it would be perfect. Use inertia drift to start the drift. Works well on my Cappucino.

Just some FYI on tyres for you all...

Did you know that on real life drift cars they take 15 or 16" tyres and stretch them over 17 or 18" rims... for real, makes the tyres really stiff...

Anyway, I like to drift with light low HP cars like the Elise, I'll get my settings and post them to see if it helps at all.

P.S. I'm also a super noob at drifting, been doing it all of 3 days and already got the hang of it thanks to Tank.

Suzuki
2nd page ownage w00t!

That depends on what the particular member has the posts per page set at. :lol:

But as far as the ebrake. I usually can't stand it. But used WITH feinting it can really help overcome the understeer that is GT4.

Latest Posts

Back