• 1,128 comments

a6m5

#ChopOn
Premium
United States
OREGON
a6m5zero
CNN
Tokyo (CNN) -- An 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit Japan early Friday, triggering tsunami warnings and sending people fleeing out of buildings in the capital.

The quake rattled buildings and toppled cars off bridges and into waters underneath. In Tokyo, crowds huddled together and tried to reach relatives via cell phone.

Its epicenter was 373 kilometers (231 miles) from Tokyo, the United States Geological Survey said.

It triggered a tsunami warning for various countries, including Japan and Russia, the National Weather Service said.

"Earthquakes of this size are known to generate tsunamis potentially dangerous to coasts outside the source region," it said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.quake/?hpt=T2

I just saw Tsunami swallow up farmlands, I think in Miyagi, on my Oregonian live news. It was approaching bunch of driving cars on the road, when they broke from the live broadcast.

Edit:

American Red Cross Responds to Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami

Your gift to the American Red Cross will support our disaster relief efforts to help those affected by the earthquake in Japan and tsunami throughout the Pacific.

On those rare occasions when donations exceed American Red Cross expenses for a specific disaster, contributions are used to prepare for and serve victims of other disasters. Minimum donation amount is $10.

American Red Cross Donation Page

Japan:
Helping Survivors

Mercy Corps is helping provide emergency assistance to earthquake survivors in Japan with our longstanding partner, Peace Winds.

http://www.mercycorps.org/

How you can donate money to Japan(thread)

I hope mods are okay with this, I know we have a thread regarding the catastrophe in Japan, but I think this information shouldn't get lost in a huge thread like this.

Here are some infos how you can donate money, to help our friends in Japan:

Red Cross United Kingdom

Red Cross United States

Red Cross Australia

Red Cross Germany

Red Cross Canada

If you live in the US, you can also donate 10$ via a text message, send "REDCROSS" (without the ""'s) to 90999.

There are also some actions on twitter where people will donate money for retweets.

If you have some more informations on how to donate money, please share and I will add it to the first post!

JACK JOHNSON ANNOUNCES $50,000 DONATION
FOR JAPAN EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI RELIEF

In the wake of the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan, Jack Johnson announces his support of relief and recovery efforts in the region. Johnson is donating $50,000 to GlobalGiving's Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund to help residents of the affected areas. The non-profit is distributing funds to Save the Children, the International Medical Corps, and other organizations on the ground to provide relief and aid to victims.

While traveling in Japan as part of the To The Sea tour, Johnson and his crew were in Osaka when the earthquake struck on March 11. The concert in Osaka took place as scheduled hours after the massive earthquake, as television images of the powerful tsunami began streaming in, revealing the magnitude of the devastation. Sendai, one of cities hardest hit by the tsunami, was the next concert stop scheduled on the tour.

The day following the earthquake and tsunami, Johnson canceled plans to travel to Tokyo for a media event because of rising concerns about the safety of the Fukushima nuclear power plant. The band and crew remained in Osaka until the decision was made to postpone the remainder of the tour due to the tragedy. Postponed shows include Zepp Sendai, Budokan, Zepp Fukuoka and Studio Coast Tokyo.

Johnson stated, "My family and I were in our hotel room on the 29th floor in Osaka when the earthquake hit. Although it was an extremely nerve-racking experience, it was nothing compared to what those closer to the epicenter are going through. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the families that have been affected by the earthquake and tsunami. We are making a donation to help with the relief efforts and hope to be back in Japan soon to reunite with friends and play more music."

Johnson is encouraging his fans to support relief and recovery efforts in any way they can. To learn more about GlobalGiving's Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund visit: http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/japan-earthquake-tsunami-relief/

In addition to supporting GlobalGiving's earthquake and tsunami relief in Japan, Johnson's To The Sea World Tour is collaborating with over 150 hand-chosen community groups around the globe as part of Johnson's All At Once Community. Jack Johnson is donating 100% of his To The Sea tour proceeds to charity.

For more information visit JackJohnsonMusic.com and AllAtOnce.org.

Last edited:
Yeah I was just watching Al Jazeera live after our friend Speedy posted his toppled desk on facebook.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

I just heard the expert guy that they were talking to say that it is safer to be high up in a building during an earthquake. Is this true? He said if the city has any major buildings then they recommend being in the 3rd floor or higher. Come to think of it, that makes perfect sense for tsunamis but I'm not sure if he meant tsunamis or earthquakes. Any engineers want to comment?

On a recent quake down south(forget the country, sorry!), there was a story about American(I think Oregonian) traveler surviving the quake in a hotel. They were staying on the fourth floor or something like that. After the quake, they were ground level, and they walked out safely. I doubt that people staying on lower levels were so lucky.

I'm the type of person who doesn't let stuff get to me. I laugh it off. But watching the news footage, I did get bit scared. I have never felt so powerless. What really scared me was that I saw city of Onahama(小名浜) being mentioned. When my grandparents were alive, I used to visit this port town, every summer. My mom's family is from this town. Best beach I have ever visited, just wonderful memories.

They say Onahama was affected by Tsunami, but only "numbers" I could find is 20cm???? Yeah, I'm not so worried about Onahama, and I am very, very glad. Unfortunately, people of Miyagi is in big trouble. News footage I'm seeing is nothing like I have ever seen. Fires, destruction, waves swallowing up the town, moving cars, etc.

I guess they just issued tsunami warnings for Hawaii....

I feel so bad for japan's coastal communities. First the stupid jellyfish, now the tsunami.

20110311145349391-111446.png

As much as I would like to say they are used to it and their buildings are made to survive most earthquakes, this one seems to be very big, lots of destruction on the seashore. I hope there are no deaths!

Just received a message at work concerning the Tsunami:

"This Tsunami information statement is for Alaska/Brittish Columbia/Washington/Oregon/and California.

No warning, No watch and No advisory is in effect for the states and provinces
previously listed."

As I get more information I'll post it for the members on the west coast. I get this pretty quickly so I will do my best.

Some geologist now saying this is the largest earthquake to hit Japan in over 300 years, the last one estimated to be this destructive was in 1705, but of course they didn't have the equipment to measure it back then.

8 people dead so far.

Natural gas storage facility in Chiba, seen at :42 in the video, just exploded. Chiba is right next to Tokyo.

If you compare this to the earthquake in New Zealand Last month (that had a magnitude of 6.3), this one at 8.9 is far worse. It's also very close to the 9.1 earthquake measured during the Boxing Day Disaster several years ago.

where is PD office...
It's in Tokyo, so it's safe. But I reckon that they've evacuated, as shockwaves were felt in Tokyo as well.

Last edited:
If you compare this to the earthquake in Christchurch New Zealand Last month (that measured 6.3 on the richter scale), this one at 8.9 is far worse. I's also very close to the 9.1 earthquake measured during the Boxing Day Disaster several years ago.

It's in Tokyo

it may look impressive on the richter scale and damage but luckily for them it lasted about 10 seconds, with the major impact being only of 1.46 seconds. Also horizontal quakes are not to violent.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc0001xgp.php

Some scientist on TV saying this is the 7th largest earthquake ever recorded. Things don't look pretty, lots of water sweeping inland...

Watching images on the news now - frightning scenes of waves of water rolling across the countryside engulfing everything in its path.

If my understanding of the richter scale is right, this one was 20 times the strength of the recent NZ one :scared: :

Because of the logarithmic basis of the richter scale, each whole number increase in magnitude represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude; in terms of energy, each whole number increase corresponds to an increase of about 31.6 times the amount of energy released, and each increase of 0.2 corresponds to a doubling of the energy released.

it may look impressive on the richter scale and damage but luckily for them it lasted about 10 seconds, with the major impact being only of 1.46 seconds. Also horizontal quakes are not to violent.
Apparently, there will be shockwaves and tsunami warnings right across the pacific, and there are warnings as such in place.

Apparently, there will be shockwaves and tsunami warnings right across the pacific, and there are warnings as such in place.

Yep, It just hit Russia and by the time it arrives to California it won't be a real threat. I didn't mean to be a dick but I was rather glad that it didn't lasted for long as I don't wish bad to anyone.

If anyone wants to follow the quakes
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/region/Asia.php

not only a quake but a Tsunami also

libreria.ap.jpg

carrostsunami.ap.jpg

ah, i'm glad

I hope your not from California because your are bringing US bad Karma. I was in the 7.2 Mexicali Quake and is not cool. You should not wish bad upon others, or life will slap you back...

aftershocks of 8.4 and 7.9 few minutes ago... These were reported by CNN but can see them in the official list from USGS

My local news says now the Tsunami "Watch" for U.S. West Coast has been upgraded to Tsunami Warning. From a 'caution' to a 'warning', sounds like.

Its times like this where mother nature tests our humanity and humility. Our respect and our courage. To the Japanese an entire planet is praying for you right now remember that.

On a recent quake down south(forget the country, sorry!), there was a story about American(I think Oregonian) traveler surviving the quake in a hotel. They were staying on the fourth floor or something like that. After the quake, they were ground level, and they walked out safely. I doubt that people staying on lower levels were so lucky.

I'm the type of person who doesn't let stuff get to me. I laugh it off. But watching the news footage, I did get bit scared. I have never felt so powerless. What really scared me was that I saw city of Onahama(小名浜) being mentioned. When my grandparents were alive, I used to visit this port town, every summer. My mom's family is from this town. Best beach I have ever visited, just wonderful memories.

They say Onahama was affected by Tsunami, but only "numbers" I could find is 20cm???? Yeah, I'm not so worried about Onahama, and I am very, very glad. Unfortunately, people of Miyagi is in big trouble. News footage I'm seeing is nothing like I have ever seen. Fires, destruction, waves swallowing up the town, moving cars, etc.

I guess they just issued tsunami warnings for Hawaii....

Warnings are also issued for us in New Zealand.

I think you are talking about the quake that hit Christchurch. The building was the CTV Building and it came down like pancakes, people from the 5th floor walked out near ground level. People are still buried there as I type this and recovery efforts continue.

To those in Japan affected by this most recent and violent set of disasters...my thoughts are with you, I can only hope the loss of life in this event is minimal.

Kia kaha Japan.

Terrible news and the footage is really shocking. Thankfully they are not reporting any leaks from the nuclear power stations and there doesn't seem to be any news of large building collapses. I've always read that Japan has some of the best earthquake protection systems in place and so far I think its holding out.

Let's just hope that the death toll remains stagnant.

Last edited:
I think you are talking about the quake that hit Christchurch. The building was the CTV Building and it came down like pancakes, people from the 5th floor walked out near ground level.
No, this was in South America. Maybe a year or two ago. Very similar cases though, and they sort of prove the theory Omnis heard about.

By the way, thank you for the well wishes, everyone. Heavy number of casualties are pretty much unavoidable at this point. I just hope they don't get much more aftershocks & tsunami over there. I'm also now worried about Hawaii, and even coastal towns in Oregon. Tsunami Warning sounds like a real threat.

No, this was in South America. Maybe a year or two ago. Very similar cases though, and they sort of prove the theory Omnis heard about.

By the way, thank you for the well wishes, everyone. Heavy number of casualties are pretty much unavoidable at this point. I just hope they don't get much more aftershocks & tsunami over there. I'm also now worried about Hawaii, and even coastal towns in Oregon. Tsunami Warning sounds like a real threat.

Right, I think I remember that one too.

Most recent update via our news service is "International Red cross says main worry is that tsunami is higher than some Pacific Islands."

Looking at the live images now. Scary footage of some kind of giant whirlpool at the coast. There is a little boat being sucked to the center of it. Hopefully that boat is empty. Forces of nature are incredible.

Most recent update via our news service is "International Red cross says main worry is that tsunami is higher than some Pacific Islands."
I'm afraid of going to bed(1:16am here), only to find out how much worse everything is tomorrow morning.

Back