• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 197 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The Atlanta Braves did a favor a lot of modern baseball fans wanted- defeat the villainized Houston Astros. By virtue of their 7-0 smacking of my beloved Houston Astros in Game 6 of the 2021 World Series, the Commissioners Trophy was hoisted in Houston... but by Atlanta. So the Atlanta Braves are the team to beat as we welcome a new season of Major League Baseball. This thread is your thread to discuss all aspects of the 2022 season of Major League Baseball ranging from offseason moves to the hoisting of the Commissioners Trophy in the 2022 World Series. This is about all of the MLB teams trying to compete to be the best team in all of baseball.

In case you need a refresher about how last season went, here is a look at the final regular season standings from 2021:

LEGEND:
! = playoff team
!! = playoff team and division winner

--- 2021 End of Regular Season Standings ---
AL EAST: Tampa Bay!! (100-62), NYY! and BOS! (92-70 each), TOR (91-71), BAL (52-110)
AL CENTRAL: Chicago White Sox!! (93-69), CLE (80-82), DET (77-85), KC (74-88), MIN (73-89)
AL WEST: Houston!! (95-67), SEA (90-72), OAK (86-76), LAA (77-85), TEX (60-102)

NL EAST: Atlanta!! (88-73), PHI (82-80), NYM (77-85), MIA (67-95), WAS (65-97)
NL CENTRAL: Milwaukee!! (95-67), STL! (90-72), CIN (83-79), CHC (71-91), PIT (61-101)
NL WEST: San Francisco!! (107-55), LAD! (106-56), SD (79-83), COL (74-87), ARI (52-110)

Now that we know who all did what kind of damage this past season, it is now speculation to imagine how each team will do in 2022. Can the usual suspects have a solid 2022 season? Can a losing team from 2022 become a winner? Who will be the playoff contenders and favorites for 2022? And most of all... who will be the Champions of the 2022 season? These questions (and more) will be answered when it's time to PLAY BALL for another season!

So let's talk about the 2022 season of Major League Baseball. GO!

Here is a list of players who accepted the Qualifying Offer:
1B/OF Brandon Belt with the San Francisco Giants. Everyone else declined.

SP Noah Syndergaard signed a 1 year, $21 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels.
SP Justin Verlander signed a 2 year, $50 million deal with the Houston Astros (2nd year is player option).
SP Jose Berrios signed a 7 year, $131 million extension with the Toronto Blue Jays.

To go without Justin Verlander all season last season was an accomplishment. Pitching has been a woe for the Houston Astros this season, and it definitely shown in the postseason. We still managed to knock off the Chicago White Sox in the ALDS and the Boston Red Sox in the ALCS. Atlanta, though, was too much for H-Town in the World Series. If Verlander pitches well, he might opt to stay with the Astros for one more season. Part of me, though, says he probably will want to return to the Detroit Tigers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Atlanta Braves made the World Series again. Maybe instead of dealing with the Los Angeles Dodgers, they could probably meet the San Francisco Giants in the NLCS if the Braves get that far. Back-to-back NLCS between the Braves and Dodgers is still a great possibility.

To go without Justin Verlander all season last season was an accomplishment. Pitching has been a woe for the Houston Astros this season, and it definitely shown in the postseason. We still managed to knock off the Chicago White Sox in the ALDS and the Boston Red Sox in the ALCS. Atlanta, though, was too much for H-Town in the World Series. If Verlander pitches well, he might opt to stay with the Astros for one more season. Part of me, though, says he probably will want to return to the Detroit Tigers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Atlanta Braves made the World Series again. Maybe instead of dealing with the Los Angeles Dodgers, they could probably meet the San Francisco Giants in the NLCS if the Braves get that far. Back-to-back NLCS between the Braves and Dodgers is still a great possibility.
That would be back to back to back NLCS between the Braves and Dodgers, if it were to happen.

It's official, folks. The artists formerly known as the Cleveland Indians officially changed their name to the Cleveland Guardians. You know, I was sort of thinking myself, why not change the name to the Cleveland Spiders? That's even if they share the distinction as the team who had the fewest wins in any season of today's Major League Baseball. Anyhow... Cleveland's professional baseball team will now be known as the Guardians. I think the Guardians namesake come from the guardian statues in Cleveland.

So Cleveland baseball fans, get to know your team's new official nickname- the Guardians.

A lot of players will be signing deals in the next 24 hours to guarantee they have a team in 2022 as a lockout due to the expiring Contractual Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the MLB Owners and the MLB Player's Association is all but assured.

Some big names already off the board include the following.
Marcus Semien: Previously Toronto, now Texas.
Jon Gray: Previously Colorado, now Texas.
Kevin Gausman: Previously San Francisco, now Toronto.
Starling Marte: Previously Oakland, now New York Mets.
Eduardo Escobar: Previously Milwaukee, now New York Mets.
Avisail Garcia: Previously Milwaukee, now Miami.
Corey Kluber: Previously New York Yankees, now Tampa Bay.

They won't be the only ones. Max Scherzer and Corey Seager are expected to sign in the next day as well and quite a few young players were extended with long term deals (Sandy Alcantara for 5 years with Miami and Wander Franco for a staggering 11 years with Tampa Bay).

EDIT: Max Scherzer has officially signed with the New York Mets.

Last edited:

This feels like a bit of LOL Mets territory. $43 million a year for a 37-year-old pitcher. I mean I get that he's good, but I don't think he's worth that kind of money at that age. There's a ton of miles on that arm.

Well, you could say the same thing for Justin Verlander coming off of Tommy John surgery. He's proven himself. J. Verlander signed a one or two year deal to keep pitching for the Houston Astros. I still thought how the Astros fared pitching-wise without Verlander was commendable. Maybe if he was available for the World Series, we might have had better pitching luck against the Atlanta Braves.

No matter what the New York Mets do, their biggest division foe will be the Atlanta Braves. This signing will give NYM some power on the mound, but whether or not they'll be the new kings of NL East (or even in general) remains to be seen. I could see the Mets for an NL Wild Card berth in 2022.

This feels like a bit of LOL Mets territory. $43 million a year for a 37-year-old pitcher. I mean I get that he's good, but I don't think he's worth that kind of money at that age. There's a ton of miles on that arm.
Dodgers missed out on him as did the Angels. I did miss a few moves:
Corey Seager signs for 10 years, 325 million with the Texas Rangers.
Robbie Ray signs for 5 years, 110 million with the Seattle Mariners.

MLB should consider doing this more often (the crazy signing day, not the impending lockout which could cancel the season).

I hear SS Javy Baez will join the Detroit Tigers. Doing most of his damage with the Chicago Cubs and then moving on to the New York Mets, he'll now be playing in the Motor City for six years on a $140M USD deal. Detroit finished the 2021 regular season at 77-85, 3rd in the AL Central. Maybe Baez can help lift the Tigers quite a bit.

Scherzer out here in a dad uniform while banking some serious money.

skem8uiv7z281.jpg

Players are currently being locked out as Major League Baseball endures its first work stoppage since the strike of 1994-1995. We certainly have to see what the MLB will try and do to prevent any extended strike or anything.

This lockout will probably get ugly. The owners are fine with the status quo (plus adding the universal DH and expanded playoffs). The players on the other hand want reduced free agent time (from 6 years to 5 years), reduced arbitration time (from 3 years to 2) and more teams to spend on contracts earned via revenue sharing (teams like Pittsburgh are pocketing the money as opposed to re-investing it back into the team). Neither side wants to compromise (or in their eyes, lose, as the players association felt they did after the last CBA), so unless there is monetary incentive to end the lockout, like spring training or regular season games getting threatened, we most likely won't see the lockout end until Mid-February at the earliest.

Kyle Seager of the Seattle Mariners has recently announced retirement. He was a great player. And at times (sadly for me), an Astros killer. I wish Kyle Seager well in his retirement.

There is a rumor that Carlos Correa of the Houston Astros could sign with the Chicago Cubs. However, Ken Rosenthal shot down that rumor quickly. The Cubs were rather disappointing last season. Any help they can get will be greatly appreciated... even including World Series-winning talent like Carlos Correa.

[OMISSION] A few days ago, OF Cameron Maybin announced his retirement after 15 seasons of MLB service. He played for over 10 teams in his career.

Last edited:
There is a rumor that Carlos Correa of the Houston Astros could sign with the Chicago Cubs. However, Ken Rosenthal shot down that rumor quickly. The Cubs were rather disappointing last season. Any help they can get will be greatly appreciated... even including World Series-winning talent like Carlos Correa.

[OMISSION] A few days ago, OF Cameron Maybin announced his retirement after 15 seasons of MLB service. He played for over 10 teams in his career.
Correa will not be remotely close to sizing the gap to a World Series. They need a lot more.

In either event, at this point the only signings that will occur will be:
A. Minor League contracts.
B. Major League talent signing with international clubs (Japan mostly).

Aside from coaching moves, nothing will happen til the lockout ends in February or March.

Jon Lester recently announced retirement. He has 16 years of service to Major League Baseball. He won the World Series three times. I wish Lester well in his retirement.

Baseball Writers have officially elected DH David Ortiz to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2022. He is the lone elected player for this year (Tony Oliva and Jim Kaat made it through the Veterans Committee). Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa and Curt Schilling all fail to make the Hall of Fame in their final years of eligibility.

Last edited:
This lockout could be long and ugly. The owners don't care about the game, just the money, and players are sick of being penny-pinched by billionaires.

The fact that they have only had official contact 4 or 5 times since Dec 1 is not good either. Need to negotiate if you want to reach a deal!

A new CBA (collective bargaining agreement) hasn't been met, so a lot of Spring Training games will be delayed, and maybe even put Opening Day in jeopardy. I just hope we don't have some abbreviated season like when many of the NBA games in 2011(?) was mostly truncated because of CBA issues. Agree to something (besides disagreeing), Major League Baseball!

If a collective bargaining agreement isn't settled on by Monday, there is a chance this season will be truncated (or cut short, for lack of a better term). You may recall we had a similar CBA disagreement issue with the NBA in which the season was cut short. That even included back-to-back-to-back games on the schedule that season. I sure hope Major League Baseball can agree to something that doesn't ruin the upcoming season.

THIS JUST IN...

MLBPA leaders could not come to an agreement over collective bargaining agreement (CBA) issues, so Opening Day (March 31) will not be the start of the upcoming season, and a number of games will be cancelled. So... baseball in 2022 may be screwed, at least among the first quarter or maybe even the first half of this upcoming season. Things could possibly get worse unless something is agreed upon.

[UPDATE] The first two series of the 2022 MLB season have been cancelled. Unless some agreement is made, more series and games may end up being cancelled. So stay tuned for more on this deal.

Last edited:
Not surprised by this. Owners are some greedy jokers who don't realize this will cost them money in the long run. It took awhile to get fans back after 1994 strike so it will cause a lot of damage to baseball. NGL I am a fan of Yankees but outside of the main players I can't tell you who is on team. I used to know all of the Yankees and Mets players. I can't even watch an entire game now. So if it stays away for awhile oh well. I'll find something else to do

kjb
Not surprised by this. Owners are some greedy jokers who don't realize this will cost them money in the long run. It took awhile to get fans back after 1994 strike so it will cause a lot of damage to baseball. NGL I am a fan of Yankees but outside of the main players I can't tell you who is on team. I used to know all of the Yankees and Mets players. I can't even watch an entire game now. So if it stays away for awhile oh well. I'll find something else to do
Most likely it's not the owners of the big market teams. I believe the small market teams (Kansas City, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Miami) don't want to be forced to spend more money and they want the revenue sharing from the luxury tax violating rich teams to be put into their pockets as opposed to improving their own teams.

I do have to wonder how much damage will result if they can't get a full season in. Covid messing with 2020 certainly didn't help and they're still dealing with Sinclair being dicks with their regional networks, having another reduced (or even cancelled) season in such a short time span could really hurt the MLB in the long term.

st likely it's not the owners of the big market teams. I believe the small market teams (Kansas City, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Miami) don't want to be forced to spend more money and they want the revenue sharing from the luxury tax violating rich teams to be put into their pockets as opposed to improving their own teams.
Here's the funny thing about that. Teams like Pittsburgh are using the money from the luxury to fill their pockets and field a low cost team with no chance of competing

More games have been cancelled. Games in the second week of what would have been the regular season have been cancelled as this collective bargaining agreement deal still is not happening. Most of the disagreement now is over international player draft issues. Opening Day is now delayed to April 14. We'll keep seeing if indeed we will even have a 2022 season and if the Atlanta Braves can defend their championship this year.

So uh... now what?

Here's something depressing for us Reds fans: this season has seen the departure of the likes of Castellanos, Lorenzen, Barnhart, Miley and Garrett. And you can now add to that list Gray, Suarez and freakin' Winker! Votto and his fantastic contract is still around. Nothing against him, as the man has had quite a few incredible years here and been a fan favorite. But can we trade him to a team where he can win a ring, pretty please (while unloading said contract)? Oh, and here's the topper I just read about today. Ken Griffey Jr. is, at the moment, the 6th highest paid player on the team. Yep, the Kid is still being paid by Cincy all these years later.

I'm beyond pissed. We went through 5 or 6 seasons of crapball, to 2 years of a decent to semi-decent team, right back to what's going to be several more sure-to-be God awful, painful seasons. Just...why? :banghead:

Back