Makinen Retires after 2003

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by made in holland, Jan 16, 2003.

1. From WRC.com:

Will he come back from this decision, or is he serious?

2. GilesGuthrie

GilesGuthrie Staff Emeritus

Personally, I think he should have retired at the end of last season. He seemed much less than his normal self, and was fairly comprehensively out-performed by Solberg.

3. Wastegate

Wastegate

I think he's serious. He nearly retired at the end of 2001, but decided to carry on for 2-3 more years.

After all he's been there and done it all, and several times over. He's a family man and has a farm to run. The WRC requires almost total commitment because of the huge schedule, especially with all the testing a top team needs, and I think he's probably had enough.

One of the greats of rallying, he will be missed though.

4. vat_man

vat_man Staff Emeritus

Can't argue with four straight titles!

5. Heres to you Tommi :cheers:, the greatest...

6. driessie

driessie

As far as I have read, he's NOT retiring! He said something about retiring in an interview, but it has been pulled out of context.

This came from the official WRC website (wrc.com)

7. SPEED NEWS said that he specifically said he was going to retire at the end of the 2003 season...

8. freerider

freerider

Just read on wrc.com that his comments were blown out of proportion. He says that he thought about retiring in his last season with Mitsubishi. Maybe he should just wait until the end of the season to announce anything.

9. focus117

focus117

I don't really want him to retire. It's going to be real sad without him.

10. GilesGuthrie

Certainly, if he's going to continue in the same vein as he did in Sweden, then he'll be a loss to the championship. The Tommi of 2002, however, would not be missed.

I actually thought his commitment last year was so lacking that he posed a threat to himself and others - we've all seen rally drivers have huge shunts when they're not totally focussed.

11. It would indeed be a shame if the Makinen from Sweden would retire.

I watched the summary of the first day on Eurosport, and during a small interview at the end of that day, i noticed a little sparkle in his eyes. Haven't seen that sparkle once in 2002. Maybe a good sign for the rest of the season.

12. Hell Patrol

Hell Patrol

Sad to see him gone

13. oosacker

oosacker

Time for younger drivers to take over?

14. GilesGuthrie

There's definitely a 'new generation' in rallying, with Loeb, Solberg, Martin and Duval. The older drivers will be beginning to think that it might be time to hang up their boots. I know that Sainz and McRae are on one-year deals, for example.

15. supra229

supra229

He was good and he was one of the more experienced drivers.

I heard somewhere the McRae was retiring too is this true?

16. focus117

focus117

Where did you hear that? I'd hate it if Colin McRae retired! OH NO! That won't be good!

17. GilesGuthrie

People talk of McRae's one-year Citroen deal as being his 'last chance'. He hasn't actually said that he's going to retire though.

18. Wastegate

Wastegate

I don't think McRae will retire next year, unless he's unwilling to take a paycut.

The emergence of Solberg, Martin, Duval and Loeb will surely dent the earnings of the established aces.

19. Makinen Luva

Makinen Luva

Hi 2 all out there I am new here :rolleyes: and I just wanted 2 comment on Tommi retiring.
    I am a huge fan of Tommi and just wanted 2 meet other Tommi fans.
    I can asure u Tommi is retiring and can get back-up on that 4 u soon.
    So if there is any Tommi fans out there....pleaze contact me.
    Lyndsey

20. vrmx

vrmx

Heh.
    Just have to say this.

I got Mäkinen's autograph (personally of course) before he even won his first world championship. Back in 1995 that was. And also Grönholms autograph from the same year!!!!!:eek:

21. v-tec

v-tec

well, makinen would have been the wrc champion if he hadn't left mitubishi! well, he got his title when he was still in mitsubishi, and also got his "lancer evolution VI tommi makinen edition."

well, gud luck for his career in subaru! :cheers:

Attached Files:

22. Venom77

Venom77

I say good luck to makinen for his retirement he will be sadly missed from me anyway hope him the best lads:cheers: :tup: