Manual-Only drivers post here

i used to drive in auto, but i now feel more comfortable in manual because it allows me to shift when I want to, not the computer!!! (if that makes any sense at all!!!)

I just use manual because I can't stand a computer taking control.. And for the engine braking et cetera. It's so much more fun too. I could never go back to automatic.

DE

Manual because, its SOOOOOO much more intresting, rather than just holding X and pushing square ocassionally, you actually have to think alot more, (eg. do i shift up before this corner or not? Do i shift down or just leave it? etc etc).

Also it gets me around the track ALOT faster. 👍

I did used to drive auto, but going back to it would be like being blind, then having your sight return, and then losing it again.

rennie911
I did used to drive auto, but going back to it would be like being blind, then having your sight return, and then losing it again.

Lol! I actually tried to run with auto again once, and and i sucked massively! :yuck: The timing for breaks, acceleration, cornering and just about everything that has with driving a car fast around a track to do, was totally screwed up by the autotranny. I can´t belive I once raced only with automatic! :crazy:

when i 1st started racin games i was all about the auto...now that i drift more then i race i use manual and that has tranferred over to racing as well...just a lot more fun

Manual is the way to go, generally, if you want to set fast times....for me! :)

It just allows you more freedom in controlling the power of the cars and the speed. For example, if you have a race car, like a BMW M3, on the 'Ring, it is useful to have manual as you can downshift rapidity (sp?) and hold that gear for the oncoming corner and get better acceleration and control (no spinouts!)

Wherelse with the automatic, you can't actually do that.

If i was to go back to Automatic, it just feels arcardey.....just NOT what i want from GT4!

venomGT4
when i 1st started racin games i was all about the auto...now that i drift more then i race i use manual and that has tranferred over to racing as well...just a lot more fun

Same deal for me. I switched to manual when I got my DF up and running, and since then I have grip raced maybe 20 laps in total. Gonna start from scratch now with manual+wheel and see how good I get ;)

I have to say that I haven't noticed an improvement in lap times with manual compared to auto, but for some cars with odd powerbands (Nismo 400R comes to mind), manual would probably be way better in that area too.

There are only two games that I can use an manual tranny (sometimes 3): Gran Turismo and MotoGP (TOCA being the sometimes 3rd). I mostly use stick so I can have better control of the torque curve (why would I shift at 6000 RPM in a Chevelle if max torque is at around 2500?).

5_speed_5.0
Does anyone here actually drive one for real. If so, What do you drive?

Manual transmission is faster in the game once you master it (doesn't take long), as you accelerate faster, and can brake better, and can short shift gears when needed. (the corkscrew at Laguna in a high powered RWD car is a good example of this)

In real life I daily drive a 2004 Neon R/T with a manual transmission, and race a '97 Neon ACR Coupe with a manual transmission.

I drive manual because i can fine tune my driving style and get much faster laptimes then on auto.
In fact i cant drive auto - its too hard.

after reading this thread a few days ago, i decided to go manual, and wow, i am in love with it, i dont think that i will ever go back to automatic, i love how you are in control of the gears

Before I got my DFP, I always used automatic because I hated pressing stupid little buttons to shift. Now after the DFP, I use it, and it gives you a lot more control over your car. 👍

Been using manual since GT1 (learned in an espirit on the Grand Valley Endurance)

It just feels a lot better and as some one else said a lot less arcadey

Manual.. because:
- better acceleration.
- better braking in turns.
- no scary moments in curves, like when automatic decides to toss smaller gear in and your rear breaks loose..)
- you don't need to pull it all the way to redline if the torque isn't there.
- I've driven manual and automatic. manual gives me more secure feeling than automatic.. would you feel safe if your car would steer itself? :scared: I think not..

i used to drive automatic alllll the time in GT3 because i thought the manual was too complicated with the gearing down and s**t. then one day i felt to play around i got used to the manual, and i'm shifting wicked!! i find that the manual (compression) actually helps me in the braking part, keeping the revs up and everything, my shifts are perfect even gearing down is a beauty. i used to have to glance at the little speedo to see when the shift light would blink, after i got more comfortable i'd see it blinking through the corner of my eyes. now i don't even use the shift light... this might sound weird but i can hear when the engine is ready to shift so i don't have to be checking the light.

PS... when i have nothing to do... i practise 'heel and toe' when gearing down :D i can use my thumb to cover both brake and gas. so when coming into the corner i brake, and not more than a split second after i go one gear lower i tap the gas... kind of hard to explain, but it's comes out as a perfect 'heel and toe' for me. and yes, i know it's just a game, but i like the feeling

jamaican
i used to drive automatic alllll the time in GT3 because i thought the manual was too complicated with the gearing down and s**t. then one day i felt to play around i got used to the manual, and i'm shifting wicked!! i find that the manual (compression) actually helps me in the braking part, keeping the revs up and everything, my shifts are perfect even gearing down is a beauty. i used to have to glance at the little speedo to see when the shift light would blink, after i got more comfortable i'd see it blinking through the corner of my eyes. now i don't even use the shift light... this might sound weird but i can hear when the engine is ready to shift so i don't have to be checking the light.

PS... when i have nothing to do... i practise 'heel and toe' when gearing down :D i can use my thumb to cover both brake and gas. so when coming into the corner i brake, and not more than a split second after i go one gear lower i tap the gas... kind of hard to explain, but it's comes out as a perfect 'heel and toe' for me. and yes, i know it's just a game, but i like the feeling

Unfortunatly the game wont let us "heel Toe" when downshifting. You would need to use the brake and tranny to slow the car at the same time (As your toe applyes the brake your heal revs up for a sec to let you slow the car with the transmittion by ballancing the clutch, BUT in the game when the brake and gas are hit at the same time only the brakes kick in the Gas revs up as if you have the clutch fully depressed (No way to ballance it with the aplication of the brakes) therefore only the brakes are slowing the car NOT the transmision. Unfortunatly we dont have a clutch in the game, that is required for heel toe downshifting.

If you brake not more than a split second & after go one gear lower then tap the gas... kind of hard, you dont have a clutch engaged so your basically hitting the throttle while its engaged (Doesnt help slow the car)

The game basically takes care of the clutch (Something I hope to have a option to controle in GT5) So If you let off the gas, hit the brakes, and while your braking you downshift, You rev up and the tranny actually helps to slow the car down (If you downshift at the corect times) Soo the game is pretty much heel toeing it for you.

im just wondering if they actually took into consideration in GT4 that manuals are faster than automatics(obviously because automatics suck up all the power )

???? i dont think they did....did they?

aviatorpimpin
im just wondering if they actually took into consideration in GT4 that manuals are faster than automatics(obviously because automatics suck up all the power )

???? i dont think they did....did they?

I dont think so either.

It apears as if the Auto tranny is Just the computer shifting a Manual tranny for you

Real world auto trannys use syncros to shift the gears up anddown, but the game they work more like a true manual, but just a computer controling when the shifts are done.

So they should be able to reach the speeds except when streatching the gears so much you knock the spedometer, this confuses the Computer shifter and it might keep you in fith when 6th will take you alot further (LM cars top speed set ups for example)

Also if you hold the shift up or down shift button (Not sure witch) in the game it will hold the gear and not up or down, further emphasizing its a comp controled manual.

Back