April update???

• Thread starter nickf1gr
  • 126 comments
Greece
Athens
Nickf1gr
Hi all
have we had any news or a sign about a new update?
Many companies in this difficult situation (coronavirus) give to people "gifts" to stay inside at home..
What about that PD?

With all this cancellation and delay, and with a substantial number of people playing GTS right now due to the lockdowns, you know what would be great PR for PD?

Releasing an unplanned update in the next week or too as a "we know things are difficult for many people, here's a couple of cars and a few new GT League races which we are releasing early while people are staying at home, which we hope you will enjoy."

Even if they are just brought forward from the May update (not necessarily ones being left for GT Next), I'm sure it would get a positive reception.

As it stands now, no March update is coming I think (unless we get it on a Monday or Tuesday next week which would be pretty unusual?) and I personally suspect the next update was due to follow the cancelled Nurb event, including the new Mazda GT3 car.

I hope (fingers crossed) that by the time they release an update at end of May, the lockdown will be easing (atleast temporarily until the next wave) and the last place we will all want to be after 2 months will be at home!

My thoughts are much the same.

Hi all
Many companies in this difficult situation (coronavirus) give to people "gifts" to stay inside at home..
What about that PD?
Kaz stated in the last content update tweet that future updates would be "modest in frequency and volume" so a March update is unlikely.

If anyone thinks PD are obligated to provide new content this month when there's increasing intent on slowing down before the PS5 releases then you're setting up for disappointment.

PD staff are almost certainly as affected as the rest of us by Coronavirus. Expecting them to provide more content for us when their working situation is more challenging seems unreasonable. Maybe that's just me.

If you need free "gifts" from companies to incentivise you to stay inside to help stop the spread of a global pandemic then you should perhaps re-evaluate your priorities.

If they're able to keep the servers up and running so we can continue racing online then I'm grateful just for that.

PD staff are almost certainly as affected as the rest of us by Coronavirus. Expecting them to provide more content for us when their working situation is more challenging seems unreasonable. Maybe that's just me.

If you need free "gifts" from companies to incentivise you to stay inside to help stop the spread of a global pandemic then you should perhaps re-evaluate your priorities.

If they're able to keep the servers up and running so we can continue racing online then I'm grateful just for that.
It’s very likely PD have completed content they were going to roll out through the year. Not all of course. But a fair portion.

Now seems an opportune time to push everything they have ready in the
March/April updates. Millions at home who will give the game a huge boost.

At this point who cares if there aren’t any updates during the summer. By then the focus will be on next-gen and the public, if possible, will be looking to entertain themselves outdoors.

I’d also look into making GTS free-to-play or put it on PS+.

Last edited:
Thank god it's illegal to bumpdraft the guy in front of you once again.:guilty:
I guess we pushed our luck too far at BMB the other week.
Depends on how hard the bump is.
I was pushing people down the straight at Interlagos and didn’t receive any penalty.
Had a Prancing Horse get a little lose exiting Juncao and I started to push him, he was faster, and I received a SR down.
It was a pretty good bump though.

Last edited:
The entire World is going through a serious Pandemic. Many people are dying. Many are losing jobs. Many are in isolation due to government rules and restrictions.

But...

"Where's the March update???"

I have no words for what I just read here.
The world adapts and gaming is at the forefront in these difficult times. Real World series, drivers and broadcasters are now embracing sim racing. That requires resources from all concerned and needs to be encouraged.

Aside from simple entertainment, the mental well being of many, will be helped by the gaming, TV & movie industry catering to demands.

If rumours are correct PD and GTS will also be organising celeb/pro driver races. On the update front PD need to be smart, not just pump out content. IE another version of the Formula Gran Turismo, the 911 Cup car, an LMP2. A handful of models to serve the community, from online race organisers to painters to photographers.

The safety of staff is of course the priority. Game development is still ongoing. Platform holders are still gearing up for next-gen. Although I have doubts that will happen this year.

Right now PD should be all hands on deck (with caveats about staff safety) ensuring, firstly, the stability of their servers so people can play. Secondly, filling the void left by real world motorsport. Thirdly, supporting their title with DLC.

This is a time when developers need to be in tune with their community. Codemasters/F1 have made their title free-to-play and organised Pro driver events. The usual suspects like Fortnite, CoD and Rainbow Six are doubling down on community support. PD and GTS is perfectly positioned to also help in this difficult time.

Right now PD should be all hands on deck (with caveats about staff safety) ensuring, firstly, the stability of their servers so people can play. Secondly, filling the void left by real world motorsport. Thirdly, supporting their title with DLC.

PD can do what they like. As long as the servers stay up to the best of their ability, then gameplay can continue. However, with unprecedented numbers of users on the servers at this time, i'd understand if they couldn't take the load. PD don't owe us anything. Filling the void from motorsport is great for sure. But they don't owe us.

This is a time when developers need to be in tune with their community. Codemasters/F1 have made their title free-to-play and organised Pro driver events. The usual suspects like Fortnite, CoD and Rainbow Six are doubling down on community support. PD and GTS is perfectly positioned to also help in this difficult time

PD have never been in tune with their customer base. Wouldn't expect that to change any time soon. No matter if other companies are. It's just not their way.

PD can do what they like. As long as the servers stay up to the best of their ability, then gameplay can continue. However, with unprecedented numbers of users on the servers at this time, i'd understand if they couldn't take the load. PD don't owe us anything. Filling the void from motorsport is great for sure. But they don't owe us.
It's not about owing people, it's about a good business taking advantage of opportunities when they arise. Game development is an activity that can be very successfully carried out by people working at home, there should be little stopping them from pressing forward with the business opportunities that are available right now, out of self-interest.

Game development is an activity that can be very successfully carried out by people working at home.

They need PS4 (and PS5) dev-kits to make their game - I doubt they are allowed to take them home. Furthermore, with the world-wide travel restrictions (if not outright bans) they can't send their teams out to scan new cars and tracks - it might very well delay the next GT game, too. And while this pandemic might be over in a couple of months, the economic consequences will be felt long after, sadly.

One simple thing they could do to keep the player base engaged is change the daily races on a more regular basis, say every 3 days or perhaps make the FIA races avaliable each day as non championship races.

This I'm assuming could be done with literally no effort by 1 staff member

Leave the GT Sport content desert and head over to Dirt 2.0... The big march update is here today weighing in at 17gigs with 2 new vehicles and new tracks based in scotland... update is free if you've bought any season dlc...

or perhaps make the FIA races available each day as non championship races.
This is a great idea. Release them after the final slot finishes and have one or both available until the final slot of the next FIA races. It would be perfect for: (A) anyone that doesn't want to do FIA or commit to a Manu, or (B) anyone that really liked either of the combos and wanted to keep racing it without messing up their FIA points but still wants it to count towards DR/SR.

It's not about owing people, it's about a good business taking advantage of opportunities when they arise. Game development is an activity that can be very successfully carried out by people working at home, there should be little stopping them from pressing forward with the business opportunities that are available right now, out of self-interest.
You're giving PD too much credit here. In the sense of you are expecting them to embrace change and fluidity. When we all know we do things their own way. And always have. Always will.

The flipside to this is that PD could easily roll together some new league challenges and endurances events to tide people over.

Hell just letting me race Gr.C cars by themselves and 2008 JGTC cars by themselves would extend the life of this game while under quarantine.

They could actually have been really snarky about this and released a 30 lap 1hr challenge on ALL tracks and I would be ok with it... even if its an all x2019 series (OOF not really).

Last edited:
The entire World is going through a serious Pandemic. Many people are dying. Many are losing jobs. Many are in isolation due to government rules and restrictions.

But...

"Where's the March update???"

I have no words for what I just read here.
The dude asked if there would be an update in what to me seemed a perfectly reasonable tone. I read no expectation into OP’s post, yet here you are, shaming OP for asking the question by reminding them of what is going on outside the world of GT Sport. Seriously? What is wrong with you? Did it ever occur to you that maybe OP is hoping for an update to distract them from the encroaching insanity of home isolation, to take their mind off of the absolute ******** of panic that is the media and the world right now?

This ****ing forum sometimes.

Last edited:
The dude asked if there would be an update in what to me seemed a perfectly reasonable tone. I read no expectation into OP’s post, yet here you are, shaming OP for asking the question by reminding them of what is going on outside the world of GT Sport. Seriously? What is wrong with you? Did it ever occur to you that maybe OP is hoping for an update to distract them from the encroaching insanity of home isolation, to take their mind off of the absolute ******** of panic that is the media and the world right now?

We've been told by PD to expect less and more modest updates. And then this situation hit us all. So what's more important at play here? Being happy with what you have in this dangerous time? Or expecting a company, (that, for all we know, has possibly shut its doors for a while for worker safety), right now to drop a game update for us all?

If you feel i'm shamed anyone by pointing out the obvious, then maybe you should look up what shamed means perhaps? I've done nothing of the sort. And look how many people agreed with me?

But to quote yourself:

Hi all
What about that PD?

It’s easy when the gift is a voucher or bonus experience points or something like that. It’s not so easy when it comes to adding content like cars and tracks, because they take a long time to produce. So a corona update is unlikely.

The flipside to this is that PD could easily roll together some new league challenges and endurances events to tide people over.

Hell just letting me race Gr.C cars by themselves and 2008 JGTC cars by themselves would extend the life of this game while under quarantine.

They could actually have been really snarky about this and released a 30 lap 1hr challenge on ALL tracks and I would be ok with it... even if its an all x2019 series (OOF not really).
These are the kind of smart updates PD could carry out with (relatively) few developer resources. The single-player community also needs to be listened too.

Let us run existing Gr.1 GT League events just with Group C cars. A ‘New Game+’ with higher difficulty levels for existing GT League events. More frequent rotation of online daily race events and more.

As I’ve mentioned above. PD don’t need to pump out a dozen cars a month to keep the community occupied. A selection of smart releases like single-make racers, Formula Gran Turismo 3500, 911 Cup, an LMP2. Those three cars would occupy racers (online & offline), plus painters and photographers. It’s clear PD where spacing content drops through the year. Much of it is likely to already be complete.

If they want to go crazy. Add 24hr Le Mans, Nurburgring & Spa events with 25m credit rewards. Allow us to save progress in the pits. People need time consumers with weeks, potentially months, on lockdown.

Game development across the world hasn’t ceased. If anything online and sim racing studios are ramping up support. Not necessarily in terms of DLC content. But certainly events, game modes, and organised competition.

This is a great opportunity for PD to engage with the community.

Last edited:
I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility of them doing some micro updates like new GT League events or round additions to existing ones. Given that they update Sport Mode weekly, there's a chance that they can do the same "remotely" every few weeks. It seems feasible, but I don't know how PD is operating under the current circumstances, so it could be a more involved undertaking.

Back