Mario Kart 8

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,093 comments
@Classic -- I know, right?! I'm glad the 200cc update is here to occupy me for the night, because otherwise I'd be too stoked about the Direct. :lol:

On the subject of the DLC, racing in the new cups got me thinking -- between the styles and themes of these new tracks, Nintendo's other recent efforts, stuff like Splatoon and Mario Maker, the charming quality of it all...it reminds me of SNES-era Nintendo. They're really in a groove, full of spunk and vigor. The Wii U may lack the third party games and the spotlight of the gaming industry, but this stuff is damned special.

@Classic -- I know, right?! I'm glad the 200cc update is here to occupy me for the night, because otherwise I'd be too stoked about the Direct. :lol:

On the subject of the DLC, racing in the new cups got me thinking -- between the styles and themes of these new tracks, Nintendo's other recent efforts, stuff like Splatoon and Mario Maker, the charming quality of it all...it reminds me of SNES-era Nintendo. They're really in a groove, full of spunk and vigor. The Wii U may lack the third party games and the spotlight of the gaming industry, but this stuff is damned special.
I absolutely love the Wii U, I am actually enjoying this more than I ever did for the gamecube or any other Nintendo home consoles. The level of quality all-round is fantastic. Feel bad for those poor souls fogged over by the gaming media agenda. We live in an age where a Batman game every year is acceptable but one Mario game a generation isn't. :lol:

Played MK8 for 5 hours and 30 minutes yesterday and not even properly gave 200cc a shot. I am absolutely in love with this DLC pack, FemVillager is the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Last edited:
You had Isabelle as your avatar for weeks but decided you like FemVillager? I've never really played an Animal Crossing game but I've decided I like Isabelle the best of all the DLC characters. :)

I also had a laugh with Dry Bowser in the Cat Cruiser with the Peach Parasol.

@Wolfe What can I say, I like to change things up! Isabelle is totally awesome though, never met anyone who doesn't like her. :P

So I played some 200cc worldwides last night, and I gotta say it's a ton of fun! When Nintendo says braking is crutial, they really mean it. It caught me out a few times forgetting to brake or not braking enough sometimes, especially on tracks like Cheese Land, Rainbow Road, and Dragon Driftway.

Man, 200cc is the best thing ever. It has made Mario Kart 8 the best Anti-grav racer that is still relevant. :lol:

Eat your heart out WipEout and F-Zero. I don't feel as item-blasted anymore once I perform well.

@Classic Sorry for not showing up, Power cut out due to a storm :P

I'm a bit indifferent to the 200cc :indiff:

The Speed is amazing and got me to refocus and some tracks really suit it.

Key word... Some.

I hate the concept of Mandatory Braking. Other tracks really ruin it for me in terms of flow. While in 150cc, I'd be drifting around the corners getting as close to the inside as possible. Here you got stop the continues drifting which really annoys me, especially when you get attacked while braking. I tried the new Tracks on 150cc later and was able to appreciate how great the tracks really were.

Have you tried 'pump-braking' by braking and drifting at the same time? I don't really have the complaint in regard to flow since I've always loved insanely fast racers for a long time, 200cc feels totally different to 150cc and I love that. Rather than driving well and not being able to escape a pack or make substantial progress, driving well at 200cc can make you jump from 8th to 1st in a few well timed corners. I just wish there was a 200cc time trial mode too! Each to their own though, I can totally understand why people may not like it. :)

Have you tried 'pump-braking' by braking and drifting at the same time? I don't really have the complaint in regard to flow since I've always loved insanely fast racers for a long time, 200cc feels totally different to 150cc and I love that. Rather than driving well and not being able to escape a pack or make substantial progress, driving well at 200cc can make you jump from 8th to 1st in a few well timed corners. I just wish there was a 200cc time trial mode too! Each to their own though, I can totally understand why people may not like it. :)
Funny thing, I found out about "pump-braking" (I like to call it Button-Mash Drift Braking) after the post.

and this has happened;
WiiU_screenshot_TV_010ED.jpg

Now I LOVE IT, I can see the flow in this class and can enjoy the high speed. I do I wosh the A.I put up a better fight I got all this in 1 day.

I do wish there was a 200cc TT. Though hopefully that won't effect the future Weekly TT Challenges :P.

I learned to line up for early drift initiations to scrub speed off with drift-braking, while saving up a boost to rocket out of the exit, making up for the lost momentum. It really adds an extra dimension to the game, where the "full speed everywhere, drift everywhere" aspect of 150cc was a bit monotonous, something to excuse with, "it's just a kart racer."

I keep wanting to say that MK8 is like a "real" racing game now, which does seem a bit unfair to the quality of the experience the game offered before. :)

I learned to line up for early drift initiations to scrub speed off with drift-braking, while saving up a boost to rocket out of the exit, making up for the lost momentum. It really adds an extra dimension to the game, where the "full speed everywhere, drift everywhere" aspect of 150cc was a bit monotonous, something to excuse with, "it's just a kart racer."

I keep wanting to say that MK8 is like a "real" racing game now, which does seem a bit unfair to the quality of the experience the game offered before. :)
I think the only way to describe Mario Kart 8 is that it has accidentally achieved something that companies have the hilarity to boast about in PR blogs regarding DLC bringing an 'evolved experience'.

Mario Kart 8 never felt incomplete and yet now it feels more complete than it ever did. It's a true testament to modern game design and an absolute treat to anyone who plays it.

Sony killed WipEout, Nintendo have killed F-Zero(possibly) but out of nowhere Mario Kart bursts in with its lightening fast 60FPS speed-machine and demands all my hard-earned free time.

220 hours and the game still feels fresh as a daisy. There's not many games that can justify an entire console purchase but in all honesty if MK8 was my reason to get a Wii U I would not be even a little remorseful at this point.

I find the Blooper Item to be buffed in 200cc. When it is used on a Biker, the Bike loses grip which can really hurt you in 200cc

Anyway, after 1.25 days, I've finished 200cc
WiiU_screenshot_TV_010ED.jpg

Disappointed that the cc didn't come with Very Hard A.I as the A.I here were total pushovers.

@Wolfe What can I say, I like to change things up! Isabelle is totally awesome though, never met anyone who doesn't like her. :P
Now you have ;). I hate all the AC Characters, though this is due to me not being a fan of the series as a whole. Though it was fun seeing Isabelle get pelted with 3 Green Shells.

It takes dedication my friend, you will get there. :D

Falcon Isabelle should be the next DLC:

tumblr_nn9zh1RbNt1rpeq1jo1_250.png

:lol:
OH HELL NO!!!

I'm really starting to love Super Bell Subway, I'm getting a bit of Pokemon B/W vibes from it.

My next step is to conquer the 200cc Overlap Challenge. I've done the 150cc Overlap Challenge but with Braking involved all those Mushrooms you get won't seem as helpful :P.

By the way, the Weekly TT Challenges will start again tomorrow with the 1st Rounds.... I'm also bringing back the Character Bonus system (more Points are rewarded if you use Lighter Characters).

Last edited:
Assuming we get a dual pack, I'm hoping for one with pokemon and one with fire emblem. I don't even care too much about pokemon, but it is undeniably a significant game series for nintendo.

The FE characters should obviously be marth, lucina and anna.

Last edited:
Assuming we get a dual pack, I'm hoping for one with pokemon and one with fire emblem. I don't even care too much about pokemon, but it is undeniably a significant game series for nintendo.
I kinda doubt a Fire Emblem pack. A Star Fox Pack could be more likely because of the new Wii U Star Fox.

You're right, but i remain hopeful :P

With all this dlc, the game might just turn into smash bros on wheels. That is however something I am completely fine with.

Helpful Warning on 200cc: A.I are complete MORONS in Rainbow Road, they'll go around the 8 section at full speed likely to fall off and they'll take you down with them even though your being careful around the corners. Its like racing with Ravenwest Drivers from GRID in there :yuck:

I kinda wish getting VRs in MK8 wasn't such a grind. I completely annihilate most races (even overlapped a few on 3DS Koopa City in 200cc) yet only on 1600. I wish you got more VR if your distance from 2nd is a huge margine so you can eventually face Players up to your skill level sooner.
Do I get more VR for racing higher VR opponents? If that's so, then I might need to enter @Classic or @Doodle (though Doodles level could be too high) sessions :P.

Last edited:
Well, I managed to get this today:
11146553_10205579563081124_416900381938280652_n.jpg

So I'm looking forward to that snazzy Pac-Man amiibo suit. :D

I'd like to see Kirby added in a DLC pack.

EDIT: Might actually start using my Mii now since he doesn't look like a tubby galumph. :lol:

11138540_10205580658148500_391466854686548904_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back