Mario Kart 8

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,093 comments
Coins are actually important in Time Trials. It adds a twist as you have to plan a path that gets you 10 coins the earliest without ruining your lap.

Coins are actually important in Time Trials. It adds a twist as you have to plan a path that gets you 10 coins the earliest without ruining your lap.
I'm not disputing that coins are useful as pick-up items but as an actual power-up it's just confusing, it's not like you even get a bulk of coins, you get one single coin and completely obliterate your defense until the next item 'checkpoint'.

Coins are interesting in time trials for sure. Otherwise I'm not a fan, along with the item system. It's not that I don't like having only one item at a time, it's the fact that I'll be front running a race and on the last lap I'll get a coin while the guy in 2nd gets triple reds out of pure RNG fashion. Also after having bad starts I'll get single mushrooms in 12th while the guy in 6th gets a bullet. Makes it more interesting as in anyone can win, but that's just not my taste.

The coin item is for recovering two of the three coins you lose after you're struck, which can make a difference, particularly if you're struck more than once in quick succession. If you pick up one of your dropped coins and are lucky enough to be near a boost pad, you can return to your former pace immediately. When I already have ten coins, I just hang onto it until the next item box, unless someone hits me first.
@Wolfe: I never have been able to participate in Frantic mode race. I wish I could but there is never anyone there.
I was actually speaking more from experience in VS Mode. Against Hard AI, I think Frantic items make for a better race. You said you didn't care for randomness, but it's worth a try.

Frantic mode feels much better, IMO. Coins are in the right chance area and you get more defense items like 3 green shells and 3 Banannas.

Since we have quite a decent sized chunk of players now, we really should look into a GTP race night.

Timezones are still an issue, but it's a good opportunity because my temporary second job will end in just under three weeks.

Finally broke 12,000 VR last night. I'm proud. :)
Nice one man! :cheers: I've not really had time for games recently because of bloody University coursework/exams. I have been dying to play some Mario Kart recently though, so hopefully I could catch you for a few games soon.

Maybe so. I was back on Mario Kart 8 today, having a blast just driftin' with the AI. 👍 I haven't been playing anything online, because after 40 hours a week with my coworkers at that second job, I've had way more than my fill of interpersonal activity (even silently, over thousands of miles of wires). But GTP folks are different. :)

RIP this thread. Bringing it back with this Mute City time.

zlCfzTBdfUw72hdiGP

About one second off the American top 10. Really proud of this time. :)

I kinda wish there was more to do. Kinda like Pokemon Gen VI, if you aren't the guy who gets competitive online, you're out of luck with post-game.

Though with more people in the thread should we reinstate the Weekly Time Trial Challenge for a 2nd Run?

I've still gotten more out of this than Forza Horizon 2 (for 360) or Grid Autosport. It offers better AI racing than the former and isn't as frustrating as the latter, so I've been coming back to MK8, just not as often.
I kinda wish there was more to do. Kinda like Pokemon Gen VI, if you aren't the guy who gets competitive online, you're out of luck with post-game.
That's right on the nose, I think.

As rock-solid as the handling is, I think the game is too "unreal" for me to find much reward in chasing lap times. At a certain point, I just can't tell where I'm losing or gaining anymore. I don't care for the three-laps-with-a-standing-start format, either -- I'd rather hotlap endlessly. So I dunno about a time trial challenge, sorry...

I think the fact in relies on 'Unconventional' handling glitches and the like hurts the single player playability for sure. It's something I think is a shame because I can understand why it frustrates people as much as people love it. Fire hopping is also on the other side of the spectrum for being completely crap. Ive put 200 hours into MK8 so far but I feel a tad burned out with it just now. Really wanting that DLC #2 to inject some life into it. In the meantime, however, my girlfriend got me Donkey Kong:Tropical Freeze for Valentines so I will be playing that quite a bit probably. For my racing fix recently, I've been playing Driveclub which is why MK8 has been put on hold in the past month.

I would wish Hop Lapping was an option and you got a Mushroom every lap. 3 Lap System just doesn't work well but it's the best we got. Fire Hopping like the Smogonites in Pokemon pretty much ruins me getting competitive online, anyway (though since we can now change Highlight Reels to full laps when we watch them, we could spot Fire Hoppers).

GRID Autosport is currently holding all my time as well as WWE 2K14 which has been lasting since I got it last year.

If the game had VS like in TOCA Race Driver 3 where you can customize the A.I how you like it by choosing how many race, who races and what vehicle they use. It would get me a bit more invested but something that would improve a lot is if they had a Course Maker like in LBP Karting.

I would wish Hop Lapping was an option and you got a Mushroom every lap. 3 Lap System just doesn't work well but it's the best we got. Fire Hopping like the Smogonites in Pokemon pretty much ruins me getting competitive online, anyway (though since we can now change Highlight Reels to full laps when we watch them, we could spot Fire Hoppers).

GRID Autosport is currently holding all my time as well as WWE 2K14 which has been lasting since I got it last year.

If the game had VS like in TOCA Race Driver 3 where you can customize the A.I how you like it by choosing how many race, who races and what vehicle they use. It would get me a bit more invested but something that would improve a lot is if they had a Course Maker like in LBP Karting.
The problem is(that we all know) Nintendo won't bother altering the core formula by the looks of it. They occasionally add some nice things, like a mission mode, then snatch it back off of us in the following title! There's so much that could be done in MK but Nintendo seem content with keeping it as focused on it's main purpose as possible. I'd love a track creator too.

It's a bit sad that I feel we would see a 'Mario Kart Maker' title before we got a simple track maker in-game.

I personally love fire hopping. As someone who likes to look at the competitive side of games, fire hopping adds a lot more depth into the mechanics that makes it a lot more rewarding for getting your goals. And not just fire hopping, but demon sliding makes the game even more challenging and adds even more depth into the game.

Hopefully we get a new teaser trailer for the DLC in the next Nintendo Direct. What crossover track would you like to see?

Not to big on Crossovers tbh. They're great but I don't want it to overpower the Mario name.

Anyway, I want to see more Retro tracks namely from GCN, SNES and GBA.

10995533_10205339881409232_6738019534577046156_n.jpg

Today was productive! :lol: :P 32 Race tournament on Hard 150cc. It was great fun.
I always get bored after 10 races online. Now I'm devoting most of my time to time trials. I'm trying to get 2:04 on Rainbow Road, 1:48 on Dragon Driftway, 1:58 on Electrodome, and 1:37 on Mario Kart Stadium. :D

Back