Mario Kart 8

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,093 comments
I always get bored after 10 races online. Now I'm devoting most of my time to time trials. I'm trying to get 2:04 on Rainbow Road, 1:48 on Dragon Driftway, 1:58 on Electrodome, and 1:37 on Mario Kart Stadium. :D
We really need this DLC pronto, the game itself is still fresh gameplay wise but I'm just desperate for some new content because I know it's right around the corner!

We really need this DLC pronto, the game itself is still fresh gameplay wise but I'm just desperate for some new content because I know it's right around the corner!
Yeah seriously. I'm getting bored now. Only two more months... I guess.

PSA: Nintendo Direct is on tomorrow worldwide. I'd put my hat on that we will see our first MK8 DLC trailer for the new pack. UK time is 11PM and I'm sure that PST is 3PM.

I wish the zelda pack had more actual zelda stuff in it. Screw cat peach and tanooki mario :/, I wanted Zelda and... someone else.

I'm really excited to see which new tracks we'll get, though. I also really really hope we get proper battle arenas. Battle mode used to be my favourite thing to play with friends before, but without proper maps to battle on, it is just completely boring and uninteresting.

I usually saw Battle Mode as an after thought. I really want to know if any retro tracks are going to appear. I also want to play as Dry Bowser.

When the DLC is released I might restart the Weekly Time Trial Challenge. Though since, you can now edit MKTV videos, I was thinking there'll be 2 every week. 1 where the controversial Fire Hopping is allowed and Another where Fire Hopping is Banned. Since we can check the full TT now.

Last edited:
Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario were completely not needed. Those spots could have went to Zelda and Midna.
I wish the zelda pack had more actual zelda stuff in it. Screw cat peach and tanooki mario :/, I wanted Zelda and... someone else.

I'm really excited to see which new tracks we'll get, though. I also really really hope we get proper battle arenas. Battle mode used to be my favourite thing to play with friends before, but without proper maps to battle on, it is just completely boring and uninteresting.

Eh, I'm not a big fan of Cat Peach or Tanooki Mario or anything, but I've certainly given those characters a spin more often than the other versions of Mario/Peach. Metal Mario and Gold Peach seem more superfluous, even if they're in a different weight class.

Like @Classic said last week, MK8's gameplay is still sublime. Forza Horizon 2 (XB360) didn't live up to the original and Grid Autosport is annoying, so for me MK8 is the longest-lasting racing game in recent time. It's a pretty cozy arcade racer -- I like the kart/bike designs and all the little touches that make it feel like a kart racer that's actually made for automotive enthusiasts like us.

I've also been drawn back to the game by my new LCD, revisiting it in 720p. :)

Eh, I'm not a big fan of Cat Peach or Tanooki Mario or anything, but I've certainly given those characters a spin more often than the other versions of Mario/Peach. Metal Mario and Gold Peach seem more superfluous, even if they're in a different weight class.

Like @Classic said last week, MK8's gameplay is still sublime. Forza Horizon 2 (XB360) didn't live up to the original and Grid Autosport is annoying, so for me MK8 is the longest-lasting racing game in recent time. It's a pretty cozy arcade racer -- I like the kart/bike designs and all the little touches that make it feel like a kart racer that's actually made for automotive enthusiasts like us.

I've also been drawn back to the game by my new LCD, revisiting it in 720p. :)
Wolfe using an LCD tv?! I knew it was April Fools but even that's a joke too far! :lol: :P

What play-time is everyone sitting at just now? Mario Kart 8 is currently at 197 hours for me. More than any game I have played for the past 2 years I'm sure.

Wolfe using an LCD tv?! I knew it was April Fools but even that's a joke too far! :lol: :P
It wasn't just about display technologies, it was a matter of the awful laggy HDTVs that have forced developers to dumb down gaming in the past 10 years. :P So I bought an Asus computer monitor instead, with a standalone converter (which took some digging on Google) for my older systems. It's about as quick as the Wii U GamePad video feed, which is good enough, though still a bit of a shame.

Coincidentally, it only occurred to me just recently that MK8's starting line boost is supposed to be performed by pushing the throttle button ON the number two. I always thought of it as needing to be done immediately after the number two appears...because the game is programmed for people who have HDTVs, and I had no latency on my TV. If I pressed the button ON the number two, I popped the engine every time. :lol:

Wow, big day for MK8 News:

-We are getting that 200cc game-mode, apparently braking is a crucial part of the game now, this is AWESOME. Pity it basically confirms F-Zero is dead
-DLC pushed forward to April 23rd
-Villager will have female variant.

No specific track news yet, but I imagine we won't have to wait long for a trailer.

200cc is awesome news. I enjoy this game but I've grown pretty bored of it, I'll definitely be firing my Wii U up again when this update releases though.

For once I've gotten time I'm satisfied with. :D WR is 1:58.4 for reference.

zlCfzTMOylQJ4Hsdpu

200cc sound epic.

Though I wouldn't mind a Reverse cc where all the tracks are backwards, as well as edited a bit so the tracks are possible :P.

200cc is just what I needed for Time Trials to be worthwhile, the speed is insane judging by the few clips we seen.

I imagine fire hopping won't be possible, will be similar to the different skills needed in each race class in the WipEout series hopefully, rather than 'incremental' difference.

So if braking is now a factor and you can reach higher speeds, maybe in 200cc you won't simply spend the whole race at full speed? It would be cool if speeds are more dynamic and acceleration becomes important beyond the race start and recovering from item strikes.

I usually saw Battle Mode as an after thought. I really want to know if any retro tracks are going to appear. I also want to play as Dry Bowser.
Really? Battle mode was basically all we ever played when it came to multiplayer, both on my SNES and on my gamecube. It's been there since the very beginning and there has always been separate stages for it, except in MK8.

Really? Battle mode was basically all we ever played when it came to multiplayer, both on my SNES and on my gamecube. It's been there since the very beginning and there has always been separate stages for it, except in MK8.
Battle mode in Double Dash was absolutely awesome. Every time my sisters and I went to our cousin's house, that's basically what we did all day (and Sonic Adventure 2).

I have never cared about battle mode. It's a fun little thing but not exactly something that I get excited about.

Also, Isabelle is ridiculously cute.

11075236_673237116114218_3037348903125992365_n.jpg

It wasn't just about display technologies, it was a matter of the awful laggy HDTVs that have forced developers to dumb down gaming in the past 10 years. :P So I bought an Asus computer monitor instead, with a standalone converter (which took some digging on Google) for my older systems. It's about as quick as the Wii U GamePad video feed, which is good enough, though still a bit of a shame.

Coincidentally, it only occurred to me just recently that MK8's starting line boost is supposed to be performed by pushing the throttle button ON the number two. I always thought of it as needing to be done immediately after the number two appears...because the game is programmed for people who have HDTVs, and I had no latency on my TV. If I pressed the button ON the number two, I popped the engine every time. :lol:
I have a plasma hdtv and I have to start after 2 as well. Right on 2 and i always spin out.

Battle Mode was something, I always did on my spare time when I played MKDS. I didn't really have any MK friends so I couldn't really play Multiplayer.

Though MKWiis Battle Mode and onwards are just terrible.

Honestly? Fire Hopping might become literally impossible on some tracks. It appears although the boost has been increased by 10x the usual speed increase.

I guess the rebirth Weekly TTs will now have 3 each week :P (200 (if it'll be in TTs), 150 (no Fire Hopping), 150 (Fire Hopping allowed))

Back