Martialstax's gallery - Today's topic: iPhone Wallpapers

Lincoln_Stax

We start on Alaskan Way on Seattle's waterfront, heading north. The bridge in the background is the Alaskan Way Viaduct. US Highway 99 runs along it. Northbound lanes on top, southbound underneath.

This is a walkway from 1st Avenue to the Colman Ferry Dock where passengers can go to Bremerton or Bainbridge Island on the west side of the Puget Sound.

The U-turn at the end of the front straight is a quick turn onto Madison Street and then underneath the Alaskan Way Viaduct, which isn’t a street at all, but a parking area. These are the only two places where you’re riding against the flow of one-way traffic. If you plan a trip to Seattle and want to ride or drive this course, you’ll have to skip these two streets.

A quick left leads you onto Yesler Way. Then you turn through a five-way intersection onto James Street. This is the heart of Seattle’s Pioneer Square disctrict, the oldest part of Seattle’s downtown. Most of the buildings here are brick because they were the first to be rebuilt after the great fire of 1886 destroyed 80% of the young city.

The jumps: Second Avenue, Third Avenue and Fourth Avenue. The tall building at 2nd Ave is the Smith Tower. Until the 1950s, it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi River. The elevators are still the old brass carriages from when it was built around the turn of the previous century, still operated by hand.

At the top of the hill, you turn right onto 5th Avenue. The bend is where the road changes from 5th Avenue to 5th Ave S. The bridge is Yesler Way, which we were on at the bottom of the James Street hill.

This short section takes you west onto South Washington Street, north onto Prefontaine Place, and west again on Yesler Way.

A sharp left puts us on the Second Avenue South Extension. In the background is the Smith Tower. The bend in this long straight is where the 2nd Ave S Ext becomes Fourth Avenue South. That’s the historic King Street Station in the background, Seattle’s major train station. The next picture is looking north at Seattle. The three skyscrapers are known at the Triple Towers. The tall black one on the left is the Columbia Tower, Seattle’s tallest building at 75 floors. The white one in back is 800 5th Ave, and the one that looks like an oversized barn on the right is at 700 5th Ave.

Now we ride through Seattle's sports cathedrals- I mean stadiums. The right turn is onto Royal Brougham with Safeco Field on the left, the home of the Seattle Mariners. That overpass is the western end of Interstate 90. Get on it and follow it to it’s end, and you’ll be in Boston, 3200 miles later. The chicane is the south parking lot of the Kingdom. It was torn down even before GT3 came out and was replaced with Qwest Field, the home of the Seattle Seahawks. Where the parking lot once was is now the Stadium Exhibition Center where the annual motorcycle show is held. By the way, those two stadiums only stood next to each other for about 6 months before the Kingdome was imploded.

Exiting the chicane and back onto Royal Brougham, named for the famed Seattle Post-Intelligencer sports columnist who died at the age of 84 while working at the Kingdome during a football game in 1978. Safeco Field is seen again on the right. The large brick building is actually the stadium’s façade. You’re crossing 1st Ave S at this point.

The right turn under the Alaskan Way Viaduct is not really a street, but a pair of holding lanes for cars waiting to load onto the vehicle ferries at the Colman Ferry Dock. The chicane is leading back onto Alaskan Way, and then it’s the start finish line all over again. You can see the top of the Seattle Space Needle in the final picture.

There you have it, a photomode tour of my hometown, Seattle.

Last edited:
440cuda9sec
thats pretty sweet you live near streets features in video games, damn that's awesome.

I'm impressed by the attention to detail. The street signs actually say what they're supposed to say. The buildings actually have the names of the real businesses on them.

One of the ironies of the game is that Prefontaine was always a rough, poorly maintained street, not at all like it's portrayed in the game. But just in the last couple of months, the street has been completely regraded and repaved and it looks exactly like it looks in the game now.

I just thought I'd try a series of shot with the rider stopped, sort of like he's taking a break. Some are okay, but a few are average at best.

It's time to revive my other moribund photo gallery thread. I only ever shot bikes in landscape mode to use as wallpapers. But once I got an iPhone, I realized portrait mode would be perfect. The iPhone has a screen that's 480x320 pixels, which means trimming a total of 40 pixels from the sides, but if you take that into account when shooting the bikes, it works out great. Here are a few I've taken so far.

2005 Yamaha SR400 RM
img0001vk.jpg
img0002zc.jpg
img0003tm.jpg
img0004or.jpg
img0005tf.jpg

2005 Honda CB400SS RM
img0006fd.jpg
img0007ut.jpg

1961 Honda RC162
img0008nb.jpg
img0009rc.jpg