Marvel's Defenders (Netflix) - The Punisher (Nov 17)Movies 

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 160 comments
Episode 3.

Legitimately the best fight scene I've ever seen in a movie or serialized show of any kind. Do I even want to continue? There's no possible way the episodes get better than that. :lol:

The fight scene in episode 3 was absolutely fantastic. I watched it three times in a row. The best choreography I've personally seen.

...Just finished episode 8, and gotta say, I can write better, more convincing court room arguments than the writers of this show. :lol: Thanks Michael Connelly, for your novels!! They are a great help!!

Oh and, I see someone didn't forget to work out regularly....;)

Last edited:
...Broke my own rule and watched two episodes just now back to back - 9 and 10 - and bloody hell, these cliffhangers are really killing me here. Damn.

And the scenes between...

...incarcerated Fisk and Castle was gold. This show can be sooooo good without even trying.

I don't know about others, but after watching this many episodes, right now I'm firmly in the camp of "No Crossover with the rest of Marvel Universe, definitely not with AoS".

Episode 3.

Legitimately the best fight scene I've ever seen in a movie or serialized show of any kind. Do I even want to continue? There's no possible way the episodes get better than that. :lol:

I think it's a toss up between that and the single shot hallway fight in S1E2.

Glad to see you enjoyed Jessica Jones as well. That show surprised me over and over again. It's not as violent as DD in the same way, but every time I thought I had seen the most messed up thing they could do, well, it got worse :lol:

I was watching a video review of season 2, and while it was a positive review it pointed out one major issue.

Daredevil takes on an entire biker gang and has the exact same struggle as he does against a secret, mystical ninja clan. It makes The Hand not feel as threatening and Daredevil not seem quite as badass as he should. It makes his super power seem to be not staying down more than any super senses and fighting skill.

I'm trying to convince myself that fighting large groups in poorly lit hallways creates problems you don't face when fighting a large group on an open roof, but then that draws attention to a writing cheat to create false suspense.

I was watching a video review of season 2, and while it was a positive review it pointed out one major issue.

Daredevil takes on an entire biker gang and has the exact same struggle as he does against a secret, mystical ninja clan. It makes The Hand not feel as threatening and Daredevil not seem quite as badass as he should. It makes his super power seem to be not staying down more than any super senses and fighting skill.

I'm trying to convince myself that fighting large groups in poorly lit hallways creates problems you don't face when fighting a large group on an open roof, but then that draws attention to a writing cheat to create false suspense.

At least the Hand ninjas were pretty threatening to him up until the point where Stick has to explain to him how to listen to their breathing (because they can hide their heartbeats but not their breathing whatever).

The bikers are bigger and stronger and have a lot of crude weapons. The ninjas are Matt's size and using martial techniques that he was trained with/against. Seems like a wash and at the end of the day Daredevil is the superhero and they are not :lol:

The roof fight at the end was one of the weaker encounters of the series though for sure. During the setup it looked like hundreds of ninjas were approaching from roofs across the city so the whole thing was kind of anticlimactic. Maybe Frank sniped a lot more off screen.

Just finished.

How did this surpass the first season by so much?
Incredible.

And Jon Bernthal was absolutly amazing as Punished. OMG.

This serie is just amazing and sits very very high on my favs

needs to be the one from the prison. Just raw, bloody mess

But as we saw, with at least one, but the only unmasked ninjas, it was a kid! That and the drainded ones being youngsters too, could invoque that the Hand consists, at least in parts, of youngsters. PLus Stick recruiting them young too....

While I love Netflix bingewatching releases, it makes the wait for season 3 so much longer :lol:

As I may have mentioned on Twitter, I could listen to Vincent d'Onofrio reading anything as Wilson Fisk. There was far less Fisk this time round, but he still adds so much to it.

Just finished watching the 5th episode of the 1st season of Daredevil. I really wish I didn't have a Brazil game to watch so I could watch at least another two.

...Finished watching the season 2. :(

Let the withdrawal symptoms begin...

By the way,

.... what happened to "too many to count" ninjas on the roof tops? Did half of them just magically disappear?? :confused:

Exactly.

There were ninjas coming from every direction, but then we see Punisher on a roof and the police looking on, without a ninja anywhere near them. It was a poorly done scene from a continuity perspective.

....Probably ran out of money in the middle of the shooting that fight or something. I know stuff aren't shot in sequence, but I can't think of any other reason for such a slipshoddy mistake in editing. Also, some scenes with...

Karen occupying Ben Urich's office in the final episode seemed to use different filming equipment, having a noticably cheaper feel to them.

Anyways, I'm kinda surprised no one's yet to mention that friendly prompt by Netflix reminding you to watch the teaser for Luke Cage...

I'll say this now, I did not feel it. The hip hop outro licked ass...

I didn't see the Luke Cage teaser, but as someone with no background knowledge of the comics his appearances in Jessica Jones were enough to pique my interest. Anyway, I have a lot of faith in Netflix based on what's come out so far.

...I haven't watched Jessica Jones beyond the second episode. Felt the casting was wrong, Kristen Ritter (hope I got her name right) was not convincing to me at all. Also, I didn't enjoy how inconsistent the portrayal of her powers were. One such example: she can lift a V12 Vantage off the ground easily, but then later she gets bothered by an ill-fitting door. Really?

I'll probably finish it in leisure, now that DD S2 is done.

I slowed down a considerable margin and am currently watching S2 E7 and I've been saying this for a while, but does anyone else find Foggy to be an insufferable, whiny brat?

And now I hate Karen almost as much as I hate Foggy.

The number of times she's tried taking the moral high ground when she's hiding something from the both of them that can do far more damage than taking on this case could have done.

I don't care that she walked in on him while he was talking to Elektra and her mind went to the deepest of unfounded assumptions, nor do I care how guilty the situation looked from the onset to even provoke such a conclusion. I like the character in all sincerity, but this projecting of her own guilt – this emotional turmoil or whatever it is – because she sees a fraction of herself in Frank is ridiculous.

And now I hate Karen almost as much as I hate Foggy.

The number of times she's tried taking the moral high ground when she's hiding something from the both of them that can do far more damage than taking on this case could have done.

I don't care that she walked in on him while he was talking to Elektra and her mind went to the deepest of unfounded assumptions, nor do I care how guilty the situation looked from the onset to even provoke such a conclusion. I like the character in all sincerity, but this projecting of her own guilt – this emotional turmoil or whatever it is – because she sees a fraction of herself in Frank is ridiculous.

...I agree it feels half-baked. That scene of Karen walking in on Matt and Elecktra was a facepalm moment for sure - for someone who seeks out "truth" to assume so catastrophically wrong, especially when there's a craggy old blind man right next to her, is beyond belief.

One of the most forced plot point for the show, as the writers were most likely looking to introduce a schism in Matt's and Karen's relationship. I think they should've look past The Bold and The Beautiful-esque plot twists...

As for Foggy, it's just the actor portraying him comes off as... off for some reason. I think it's the way he delivers his lines - kind of reminds me of FF7: Advent Children, in that where the words doesn't sound natural, the intonation is not where I expect it to be.

...I agree it feels half-baked. That scene of Karen walking in on Matt and Elecktra was a facepalm moment for sure - for someone who seeks out "truth" to assume so catastrophically wrong, especially when there's a craggy old blind man right next to her, is beyond belief.

One of the most forced plot point for the show, as the writers were most likely looking to introduce a schism in Matt's and Karen's relationship. I think they should've look past The Bold and The Beautiful-esque plot twists...

As for Foggy, it's just the actor portraying him comes off as... off for some reason. I think it's the way he delivers his lines - kind of reminds me of FF7: Advent Children, in that where the words doesn't sound natural, the intonation is not where I expect it to be.

It really does come off that way. I don't even particularly have a problem with it other than that one plothole that completely destroys any credibility she otherwise would have. At least with Foggy, as much I can't stand him anymore, has ground to be upset with many of the things he's taken issue with.

I love all of it though because I wouldn't be this emotionally invested otherwise. :lol:

But can we take a moment to appreciate how perfect Jon Bernthal is? Before this our only shimmering hope was Thomas Jane, but now, I mean, he's just too good. Make a dedicated Punisher series and I will watch every episode and never unsubscribe from Netflix again.

But can we take a moment to appreciate how perfect Jon Bernthal is? Before this our only shimmering hope was Thomas Jane, but now, I mean, he's just too good. Make a dedicated Punisher series and I will watch every episode and never unsubscribe from Netflix again.

...Jon was note-perfect. I thought he was too short to play Castle but he boot-stomped me into becoming a believer. :lol: Now whenever I fire up The Punisher arcade game I read the lines in Jon's voice!!

However, Ray Stevenson should've been given another chance... oh wait, he can't.

Episode 10.

It's to the point where it's becoming intolerable now.

Foggy gets shot in the shoulder and when him and Matt are outside – him on a stretcher and Matt saying he has to find Frank – he immediately starts being a cun—insufferable person again. If Foggy died at the end of the season I wouldn't even care. Unfortunately for me I already know that to be the case unless the show goes down a wildly different path than the source material.

I know I'm stinking the place up, but I'm excited: sue me. :lol:

Episode 11.

I love how after berating and chastising Red for not killing people, Frank then disagrees with him wanting to allow it one time.

Frank, please. You cannot play both sides of the field. Stop confusing me. :lol:

Wrapped up S2. I have a few thoughts... but I'll let them settle for a bit and write up something later on.

Last edited:
...An interesting thought popped up in my head while reading a Feige interview about the new Spiderman and whether his solo movies can feature MCU characters.

So far, DD and JJ (gosh, I love these acronyms) carefully avoided mentioning the larger MCU in their shows. All good and well, but then, what about Spidey?

You don't get as iconic a NY-based costumed hero as the good ol' Spiderman. On top of that, he's sometimes a street-level crime fighter too. It would be sooo weird not to get a mention of him in the Netflix shows after Civil War and his own solo movie are done and dusted.

Oh hell, it would be even weirder if DD or Castle or even JJ/LC don't run into S-M during a night of vigilante-y activities....

Back