Marvel's Defenders (Netflix) - The Punisher (Nov 17)Movies 

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 160 comments
I can't remember if JJ mentioned anything but the events of The Avengers and its aftermath are definitely subtly referenced early on in season one of Daredevil. Whether or not any of the "major" characters from the movies will ever show up is another matter though. Personally I don't really see the need for intermingling with the big characters, and tonally the Netflix shows are a far cry from the MCU movies right now.

It's true tonally they are rather disparate. But the locale is a hard one to ignore - plus, it's hard not to believe the impact of this "Sokovia" (hope I got the spelling right) accord or whatever doesn't impact people like DD and JJ/LC/Iron Fist.

I haven't read yet a quote from either of Sony or Marvel camp where Spidey could potentially appear, even in the form of a distant silhouette or a news coverage, which is understandable given that it's bit more complicated when it comes to Netflix shows.

To be honest I had small-ish trouble believing this was happening in the same universe, when not a single SHIELD operative showed up in three shows so far.

JJ and DD season 2 have vague references to the MCU. No one is shocked to find out JJ has abilities and the law firm she contracted with and Foggy's ex-girlfriend works for are setting up a special team to defend heroes/vigilantes because there is a move to go after them. That definitely hints at what's coming in Civil War.

But anytime anyone mentions "the incident in Manhattan" it is a direct reference to Avengers. In the newspaper office there are framed front pages hanging on the walls that show reports from Avengers, Winter Soldier, and Sokovia. There was also one talking about the incident in The Bronx, which was from Incredible Hulk.

As amazing as the fights and Punisher have been, my jaw was on the floor after Fisk's intense talk with Murdock in S2E10. Holy crap.

...So like, hands up if you didn't see this coming:

ChNsOqvXEAAxOou.jpg

Netflix Punisher is happening.

YES.

Sorry, I should know better than to shout BUT THIS IS AWESOME.

Okay, I'm done. :P

Also, a Luke Cage trailer.

And an Iron Fist teaser.

Well... The use of Come As You Are is a bit weird.
I think it works. On one level it is the music of the generation that read the comics of these characters. On another level, it speaks to idea that people want heroes, but society doesn't like vigilantes that don't behave within narrow bounds.

To be honest, it will be interesting to see how the story goes in a post-Civil War environment, especially in that world after The Punisher has become a known figure.

...To be honest, I'm still not sold on Luke Cage. The new trailer didn't help change the way I feel about it. I'm gonna reserve my full judgement 'til I see at least one or two episodes.

As for Iron Fist.... not too psyched either. The actor, with his bushy facial hair, seems a bit ill-cast for the role. Just my opinion, of course. I'm sure the casting director knew what he/she was doing....

...To be honest, I'm still not sold on Luke Cage. The new trailer didn't help change the way I feel about it. I'm gonna reserve my full judgement 'til I see at least one or two episodes.

As for Iron Fist.... not too psyched either. The actor, with his bushy facial hair, seems a bit ill-cast for the role. Just my opinion, of course. I'm sure the casting director knew what he/she was doing....
Nothing I can do about Luke Cage, other than point out that Jessica Jones went from unknown character to award nominated show with this same creative team. Definitely give it a chance.

As for Iron Fist, it looks like he was being held prisoner. Hopefully, that's just a side effect of the story and not the intended final look. They might even make him shaving become part of him accepting his role as the Iron Fist. Even Christian Bale had his unkempt phases as Bruce Wayne.

It took Daredevil a whole season to put on his iconic costume from the comics, so perhaps it's a bit premature to judge Iron Fist's appearance on a couple of seconds in a teaser trailer.

I personally liked the look of Iron Fist. I didn't read the comic so I don't have an attachment to the original character. I'm interested to see how he developes through the season.

I liked Luke Cage in JJ so I can't wait to see what he gets up to. Hopefully JJ will pop up and I love to see either DD or IF show up too.

Hopefully they start to build up Kingpin too as he really is fantastic, he's so good as a Villan I find myself wanting to watch him more that the Heros.

...Just watched the first episode of Luke Cage, and I'm half-half about it.

Some of the lines delivered are clunky at best, and there's just something about Coulter that's not entirely convincing to me. Honestly, he feels like a side character, not a MC. Maybe he'll grow on me, I dunno.

As for the show itself, it certainly has style, but as it's simply laying down the ground work for the rest of the season, it's just a bit.... full of fluff. Not bad, nor is it outstanding either.

I'll pro'ly catch the second episode later on, decide whether I want to waste my money and time on this series afterwards...

I'm really enjoying the series so far. I like it a lot better than Jessica Jones.

...Just watched the first episode of Luke Cage, and I'm half-half about it.

Some of the lines delivered are clunky at best, and there's just something about Coulter that's not entirely convincing to me. Honestly, he feels like a side character, not a MC. Maybe he'll grow on me, I dunno.

As for the show itself, it certainly has style, but as it's simply laying down the ground work for the rest of the season, it's just a bit.... full of fluff. Not bad, nor is it outstanding either.

I'll pro'ly catch the second episode later on, decide whether I want to waste my money and time on this series afterwards...
I'm really enjoying the series so far. I like it a lot better than Jessica Jones.
The first episode is a bit weak. I understand that they're establishing the characters, but establishing Cage seems like a bit of a waste of time and a retcon - Pops establishes that Cage has already encountered Jessica Jones, but for some reason he's now taking cash-in-hand jobs to stay under the radar despite having been a bar owner in Jessica Jones...

Four episodes in we've already had two that take place in different periods of time (one starting and then later picking up with the same sequence outside Crispus Attucks; one taking place in the present and at Seagate) and there's a significant undertone of Blaxploitation that I guess was almost inevitable.

Colter's kinda carrying it at this point. I've no idea what direction Alfre Woodard is looking half the time.

I don't mind that the show is corny and predictable in places. I'm putting that down to the showrunner's relative inexperience at writing for TV. But I feel he got the basics right as the character at least has core values of heroism and justice that were absent from Jessica Jones. Misty's postcognitive visions as she pieces together crime scenes is an innovative way of presenting the information. The music soundtrack kicks ass for me and the origin is a lot closer to the comic than I expected.

...Well, another video in my recommended box:

It's coming in on March 17th. Hmm. I shall definitely give it a shot. That glowing fist is a bit.... unconvincing, though.

...Hmm, today's the 17th already. I'll check out the first episode tonight, but until then - no spoilers, please!! :P

TB
I'm halfway through episode 4.

Danny can punch really hard.

...!! Now the whole show has been spoiled for me. :mad:

Oi, dude, better take the responsibility. :lol:

Anyways - just finished the first episode. Not 100% convinced of this slouched-shoulder Finn Jones. Hmm.

If I have some time left over later, I'll probably catch another episode this evening.

I like it so far. Nice clear storytelling with real heroes and villains.

...So, I could only see one episode last night, after all. But I made up and watched three back to back, and....

Hmm...

Again, my reservations with Finn Jones is still there. He just doesn't feel like a leading man material. The worst of it all, I found myself fidgeting around in the middle of the fourth episode. Out of the four Netflix Marvel shows, this one feels the weakest, by far.

There's something rather plodding about the whole affair. I know it's an origin story but still, it takes a while to really get off the ground. Feels like that, there weren't enough materials to make a ten-plus-episode arc so the producers decided to stretch what they had as much as possible.

And the Chinese woman, Win, was it? Why is she practicing an unnamed Japanese martial art that's a hodgepodge of kendo and kung fu? Makes so sense, considering the martial history of the two nations.... But that's a small gripe of mine. It may not apply to everyone else.

Currently, I'm debating whether I should continue with this show. It's.... a slight disappointment, if I'm honest. Will it get better? Not sure. With unconvincing Finn Jones in the lead, the chances are slim...

But if this show links with the upcoming Defenders, and I got a gut feeling it will, then that means I'll have to stick with it.

Hmm....

Maybe I'm getting too old for this type of TV.

Finn Jones
Knowing nothing about him, I have no issues or preconceived notions about him.

To me he comes across as very laid back as that's what he'd be as a monk trained ass kicker. That might come across as not "leading man" material, I suppose.
Out of the four Netflix Marvel shows, this one feels the weakest, by far.
And I'd put it at #2, behind Daredevil. Jessica Jones was alright and I really struggled through Luke Cage purely to know what the hell is going on and the parties involved when we get to The Defenders.

TB
Knowing nothing about him, I have no issues or preconceived notions about him.

To me he comes across as very laid back as that's what he'd be as a monk trained ass kicker. That might come across as not "leading man" material, I suppose.

...I thought he didn't carry the whole thing about being trained by the Buddhist monks to become the Iron Fist all that well. I'm guessing that the majority of the problem I feel with this characterisation is mostly to do with the scripting itself. I've read somewhere that there is some sort of dissection of the white privilege intended with the earlier episodes but rather than that, I thought it just came off plodding and thoughtless in no small measure.

Also, physically, Jones just doesn't possess the right body type of a martial artist. It reminded me of Keanu Reeves in the OG Matrix, his body postures and stances a bit stiff and unnatural. Blame that one on me studying martial artist's movements and stances for an online novel I was writing for the last few months.

More than once, I ended up thinking about whether it would have been better to cast a different actor with a martial art background. Dunno Jones has one, but I don't think he does.

As for the rankings... heh, they all have their ups and downs. I still have nightmares about the sudden and inexplicable disappearance of all the Hand ninjas at the climatic rooftop fight in DD season 2.... :boggled:

Back