Marvel's Defenders (Netflix) - The Punisher (Nov 17)Movies 

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 160 comments
TB
And I'd put it at #2, behind Daredevil. Jessica Jones was alright and I really struggled through Luke Cage purely to know what the hell is going on and the parties involved when we get to The Defenders.

This. I just managed the 4 first episodes, and I really like it. JJ and LC, I never achieved to finish, it just didn't spark my interest as much as this and daredevil.

I have really high hopes for the Punisher after what went on in Daredevil S2 👍

...I've just finished watching the 6th episode. It's gotten better, a little more leaner, I guess. I thought Jones was actually better at playing the awkward romantic lead than as a uber-fighting machine/monk.

But after the episode, I'm slightly confused at something - the answer to my confusion is probably waiting for me nearer the end of the season so I shall remain patient for now.

Edit: forgot to say - that twist ending on the 6th 7th episode, though.... I sort of felt it was coming, but was taken aback at how beautifully it was built up and then wham!! Arrived much sooner than I expected. All the more effective because of it.

Last edited:
I thought it was okay. The reviews apparently suffered from Netflix only sending out the first six episodes which have a slow build up. Also the production was reportedly rushed so that Defenders can come out this year.

...Yeah, I agree that the first six episodes are a bit of pants. After that, it's a heck of a lot better. I'm currently sitting at tenth episode and it has really picked up its pace.

I was impressed with Lewis Tan's cameo.

...He's the...

drunk bum with the drunken fist style, right? I lol'ed pretty hard when the pieces of plywood fell on top of his head. That was an unintentional but hilariously golden moment. Glad the producers left it in there.

TB
And I'd put it at #2, behind Daredevil. Jessica Jones was alright and I really struggled through Luke Cage purely to know what the hell is going on and the parties involved when we get to The Defenders.
I'm on episode 3 and while it's not in danger of falling into the Luke Cage Chasm, it has some way to go to match either Daredevil or Jessica Jones (which I have as #1).

It's just slow. And already a little inconsistent as iFist has expertly dodged a load of armed security guards and then later beaten them up, but can't resist three psych orderlies unless some beats him up with sticks first. And Wing's punching in the cage fight was laughably terrible.

It's just slow. And already a little inconsistent as iFist has expertly dodged a load of armed security guards and then later beaten them up, but can't resist three psych orderlies unless some beats him up with sticks first.
Hadn't he been pumped full of chi-inhibiting drugs before the second fight though?

...Finally, done with the whole shebang. And I'm not 100% cool with the show. It could have been better. No, it should have been better.

The first thing first - Finn Jones? Meh. Wrong casting. Script? Also meh. Direction? Okay-ish. Choreography? Swung around like a pendulum, from good to awful. Sometimes, in the timeframe of a single episode.

Should've tightened the whole season into something like a ten-episode arc. Thirteen was too much, when there weren't enough material to work with.

And since Netflix have set it in stone, I guess we're stuck with Jones now. To me, he is arguably the weakest link in the show full of promises but not enough.... chops.

Also, something I've noticed is that the show could've done with a higher budget. It really felt cheap in places. Corner cutting was also evident in a few spots, too.

Oh well. Hopefully, upcoming Defenders and The Punisher series can redeem themselves.

4.5/10. Pretty weak showing, if you ask me.

Hadn't he been pumped full of chi-inhibiting drugs before the second fight though?
That stops his hand glowing. It doesn't stop him knowing martial arts.

I have to say that this thread is... odd without @FoolKiller's input. I do see his PSN account signing in occasionally too, which is even weirder.

That stops his hand glowing. It doesn't stop him knowing martial arts.
He shouldnt have gone down like a sack of spuds but it may have affected his coordination. He described the constant drug regime as like being underwater. It wasn't the same Danny who fought the guards, so to speak.

He shouldnt have gone down like a sack of spuds but it may have affected his coordination. He described the constant drug regime as like being underwater. It wasn't the same Danny who fought the guards, so to speak.
Though he was still able to do the same thing to the psycho patient (who later beat him with sticks) that he did to the security guards, while on the drugs...

Though he was still able to do the same thing to the psycho patient (who later beat him with sticks) that he did to the security guards, while on the drugs...
*shrugs* I'd have to watch the show again but one patient sounds easier to defeat than three well built guards, even on horse tranquilizers.

Last edited:
*shrugs* I'd have to watch the show again but one patient sounds easier to defeat than three well built guards, even on horse tranquilizers.
Quite so, but he didn't even try. The psycho patient was instinctively sidestepped, the guys blocking his Chi with drugs weren't resisted in any way - less than five seconds afterwards!

Wouldn't bother watching it again though, unless you're having trouble sleeping.

*double shrug* I know the showrunner was up against the wall logistically with Defenders being released this year but I'm even less interested in his Inhumans series now.

A few of you will like this.

LANGUAGE WARNING. Edit: Looks like you're going to need to replace **** with a certain f-word.

I've made it to episode 7 and I will agree that it is quite annoying in places. I'll finish it, but I'm less excited about doing so as the episodes progress.

And no one else has mentioned it but Ward needs to go the 🤬 away.

TB
And no one else has mentioned it but Ward needs to go the 🤬 away.

....:lol:

I actually found the dynamics between Ward, Joy and Harold more engaging than Danny with everyone else. If it weren't for their story, I might even have given up finishing the show altogether!!

We've just watched episode 4 and, while it was much more engaging asa whole, the very first scene in it had all the cinematographical style of a 1960s episode of Batman.

Can we take a moment to discuss something that's been bothering me since Agents of Shield?

So Claire has seen a blind man that can see, a black dude whose skin cannot be broken by anything but the most ridiculous of ballistic rounds, and now a man with a glowing fist. Yet, when Davos mentions a dragon to her she's suddenly unwilling to believe.... because that's where she draws the line.

Really? You just saw a glowing fist explode a door off of its hinges, but that.... that is the unbelievable thing, a dragon?

It's like when no one at SHIELD wanted to believe Robbie was, for all intents and purposes, undead and the devil's right-hand man. Because seeing an alien invasion, a normal man turn into a larger green one, and gods literally descending from the heavens would lead one to believe this specific thing is literally impossible.

I like Elektra casually strolling down the corridor behind them in the now-obligatory hallway fight scene at 1'51". Friend or foe?

Just finished the Iron Fist series. I took is as 13 Episodes of filler.
Yeah, it wasn't great. I mean, it was necessary to establish Rand and Wing, and that they are connected to the others by Night Nurse, J-Money and the Hand - not to mention establishing the Hand's more villainous role than was achieved in Daredevil.

I really enjoyed the first season of Daredevil, but the second I could take or leave. Best for me was Jessica Jones. Luke Cage seemed like an unnecessary step and origin story after the character's introduction in JJ, and it seemed at odds with continuity (he ran a bar because he ran a bar, then he swept up at a barber's so he could stay low because he escaped from prison before he ran a bar). That and Alfre Woodard, who was always looking away from whomever she was talking to and into the middle distance. And the blaxploitation overtones (which again, I understand the need for, but I don't get along with it myself).

Yeah, it wasn't great. I mean, it was necessary to establish Rand and Wing, and that they are connected to the others by Night Nurse, J-Money and the Hand - not to mention establishing the Hand's more villainous role than was achieved in Daredevil.

I really enjoyed the first season of Daredevil, but the second I could take or leave. Best for me was Jessica Jones. Luke Cage seemed like an unnecessary step and origin story after the character's introduction in JJ, and it seemed at odds with continuity (he ran a bar because he ran a bar, then he swept up at a barber's so he could stay low because he escaped from prison before he ran a bar). That and Alfre Woodard, who was always looking away from whomever she was talking to and into the middle distance. And the blaxploitation overtones (which again, I understand the need for, but I don't get along with it myself).
Maybe i expected too much of Rand, to be as athletic as DD. He did some good flipping at points, but seemed more "homeless hippie" than . Same goes for LC. He was more Juggernaut than Muhammad Ali. However, The Defenders looks to rectify that. Agreed about the story telling for that series. It was like an R-rated Meteor Man.
Jessica Jones and DD were done the best. So, Marvel broke even in my book.

So, Marvel broke even in my book.

...???

Must be the darn auto correct on your phone. Although, I can't make heads nor tails what you're trying to say here. If Marvel broke your book, then might as well, sue them for damages. :lol:

I still maintain that majority of the fault lay with the casting of Finn Jones. Yes, I'm glossing over other weak aspects of the show itself but next to the floppy-haired brat masquerading as a "Martial Art" expert (and I'm being really generous with that term) I gotta say, most of the issues seem rather minute to me. That's how much I think Marvel and Netflix effed it up with the casting.

With Daredevil, he wears a mask and fights in dark corridors so a stuntman can potentially do all of the fight scenes. Meaning, hiring a good actor for the role could be done while disregarding the fact whether he can throw a convincing punch or not. And they have found one in Charlie Cox. But man, Iron Fist needs to show off his face at least in this iteration and Finn Jones just can't carry the scenes as well. Yes, he's somewhat passable when asked to emote, but when it's time to become the Iron Fist, the most kick-ass fighter in Marvel's gallery of heroes, he just falls flat. I'm guessing that's the reason why the showrunners decided to focus the half of the show on the Meachums instead.

Hell, even I found their story far more intriguing than that of the supposed MC's.

...???

Must be the darn auto correct on your phone. Although, I can't make heads nor tails what you're trying to say here. If Marvel broke your book, then might as well, sue them for damages. :lol:

I still maintain that majority of the fault lay with the casting of Finn Jones. Yes, I'm glossing over other weak aspects of the show itself but next to the floppy-haired brat masquerading as a "Martial Art" expert (and I'm being really generous with that term) I gotta say, most of the issues seem rather minute to me. That's how much I think Marvel and Netflix effed it up with the casting.

With Daredevil, he wears a mask and fights in dark corridors so a stuntman can potentially do all of the fight scenes. Meaning, hiring a good actor for the role could be done while disregarding the fact whether he can throw a convincing punch or not. And they have found one in Charlie Cox. But man, Iron Fist needs to show off his face at least in this iteration and Finn Jones just can't carry the scenes as well. Yes, he's somewhat passable when asked to emote, but when it's time to become the Iron Fist, the most kick-ass fighter in Marvel's gallery of heroes, he just falls flat. I'm guessing that's the reason why the showrunners decided to focus the half of the show on the Meachums instead.

Hell, even I found their story far more intriguing than that of the supposed MC's.
Silly billy.:P

LC & IF were bad. JJ & DD were good. 2 out 4. 50/50. Breaking even= balancing of finances= balancing of books.

Back