Mazda CX/MX range discussion

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 399 comments
The concept has kind of a four door Alfa Brera look mixed with the first gen Infiniti FX. I like it.

new-mazda-crossover-spied--image-via-auto-sina_100529057_l.jpg

An F-Pace and Mazda6 have successfully mated.

When the CX-5 debuted I wasn't terribly excited about the whole Kodo thing. I felt Mazda was essentially caving to the then-current styling trends (not that I could blame them) and that the CX-5 looked pretty damn generic. However, each subsequent Kodo car keeps on pushing and evolving the design language. The CX-9 seems like it could be the best yet, if the Koeru is anything to go by.

mazda-koeru-concept-frasnkfurt-2015-(1).jpg

The leading edge hood line on these latest few Kodo cars is such a subtle but strong design move. As a designer, I know how agonizingly difficult it is to nail that perfect simple geometry. It's a stern and purposeful face, kinda like Eva Green, who I think is also pretty well designed.

Not a negative comment but, I don't want it to just seem like an enlarged CX-5. It's more of a 6 front on a CX-9. I see it bringing more people over. Plus, I can see people upgrading to the CX-9 because of the engine. If the base model is well equipped, it'll be a win for the line up.

The front has much better kodo styling then the CX-5 but the rear looks silly with that off piece of chrome.

It also kinda looks like the Volvo XC90..

It also looks like Mazda will be using the MX5 style steering wheel from now on

2.5L turbo 4 making 250 hp and 310 ft lbs of torque..... Next Mazdaspeed 3 engine maybe?

2.5L turbo 4 making 250 hp and 310 ft lbs of torque..... Next Mazdaspeed 3 engine maybe?
Wouldn't surprise me. Depending on how it looks, hello next car. (unless it's like Focus RS expensive then I will be forced to dream on)

In the words of Barney Gumble... I like it! Looks really classy, but not boring and has a nice interior. Honestly, this, the CX-3 and the MX-5 would be the perfect 3 car garage.

Looks very nice. The only thing I don't like is the trim piece connecting the rear lights. Other than that its a clean, smart, and classy design.

This thing looks more intelligent and athletic than Fiat's new sports car.

I wasn't aware they'd be making turbo versions of the Skyactive gas engines. I knew they were heading for 14.5:1 compression in the NA engines...does this engine have that? Also, the future diesels will also have a low 14.5:1 compression ratio.

I wasn't aware they'd be making turbo versions of the Skyactive gas engines. I knew they were heading for 14.5:1 compression in the NA engines...does this engine have that? Also, the future diesels will also have a low 14.5:1 compression ratio.
I'm sure the G engines will still have a considerably high compression ratio, but will still be able to take regular gas, at the cost of some power.

I'm sure the G engines will still have a considerably high compression ratio, but will still be able to take regular gas, at the cost of some power.
This press release on Autoblog quotes the new engine's compression ratio at 10.5. That's still pretty high for a turbo. I know the NA gas engines are meant to have 14.5 compression in then next generation.

The new FWD version is 198 pounds lighter than the old one. The new AWD version is 287 pounds lighter than the old one. Dang. That, amongst other things, shows me that Mazda is currently the most clever and dedicated engineering car company from Japan. If they're willing to put that much effort into a cash-cow SUV, imagine what they could do with a new RX sports car. Hell, the new CX9 only weight a couple hundred more pounds than the new NSX! That's ridiculous.

More info from OneMazda.

Premier engine of the SKYACTIV-G series delivers impressive low- to mid-range torque and excellent real-world fuel economy -

HIROSHIMA, Japan: Mazda Motor Corporation has enhanced its SKYACTIV-G engine series with the range-topping SKYACTIV-G 2.5T.

This 2.5-litre direct-injection turbocharged petrol engine powers the Brand-New CX-9 midsize three-row crossover SUV that will go on sale starting from North America in spring 2016.

The SKYACTIV engine series aims to offer customers a combination of outstanding fuel economy and excellent dynamic performance in everyday driving situations.

Mazda’s development philosophy is to offer this combination across all vehicle lines, using the most appropriate engine displacement and simplest configuration of technologies for a given vehicle size.

Developed in line with this philosophy and based on the naturally aspirated SKYACTIV-G 2.5 featured in the Mazda6, SKYACTIV-G 2.5T is the first turbocharged engine in the SKYACTIV-G series.

It delivers exceptional catalogue and real-world fuel economy, excellent response without turbo lag¹, and linear and powerful acceleration in the low- to mid-rpm range where CX-9 drivers spend the vast majority of their time². Maximum torque is 310 ft-lb, comparable with a naturally aspirated 4-litre petrol engine.

Traditionally, turbocharged engines have suffered from poor dynamic performance at low rpms, including turbo lag, and disappointing real-world fuel economy. SKYACTIV-G 2.5T overcomes these problems with the Dynamic Pressure Turbo, the world’s first turbocharging system that can vary the degree of exhaust pulsation depending on engine speed, and a cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system that allows the engine to maintain the ideal air-fuel ratio³ (λ=1) over a wider output range.

Mazda will continue to offer all customers driving pleasure and outstanding environmental performance through its SKYACTIV engines which aim to achieve the ideal in combustion. The company hopes to enrich people’s lives and become a brand that maintains an emotional connection with customers.

Features of SKYACTIV-G 2.5T

High compression ratio
Mazda engineers achieved a compression ratio 10.5:1, one of the highest for any turbocharged engine with an 89-mm bore size that can run on regular petrol⁴.

Dynamic Pressure Turbo
SKYACTIV-G 2.5T is the world’s first turbocharged engine with the ability to change the degree of exhaust pulsation depending on engine speed.

At low rpms (below 1620 rpm), the volume of the exhaust ports is reduced by closing a series of valves located just before the turbine that drives the turbocharger. This reduces interference between exhaust pulses and maximises the energy of each pulse to obtain a high turbine driving force.

At higher rpms there is sufficient energy in the exhaust flow and the valves open, allowing the turbine to be driven by a steady flow of exhaust gases as in a traditional turbocharger.

Whereas existing variable turbochargers adjust the speed or direction of exhaust gas flowing into the turbine, Dynamic Pressure Turbo is a unique technology that varies the degree of exhaust pulsation.

Cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
This system takes some of the inert exhaust gas that results from the combustion process and reduces its temperature by passing it through a cooler before introducing it back into the engine’s air intake.

This lowers the temperature of combustion in the engine, preventing knocking, expanding the range in which the engine can maintain the ideal air-fuel ratio and reducing the need to retard ignition timing.

Inherits SKYACTIV-G principals of efficient combustion
SKYACTIV-G 2.5T is based on the naturally aspirated SKYACTIV-G 2.5 and features the same bore, stroke and bore pitch.

Parts of the fuel system, such as the fuel pump and fuel injection system are also shared, helping SKYACTIV-G 2.5T to achieve the highly efficient combustion for which SKYACTIV-G engines are known.

SKYACTIV-G 2.5T Specifications (Based in-house measurements)

Inline 4-cylinder 2.5-liter direct-injection turbocharged petrol engine
Displacement: 2488 cc
Bore x Stoke: 89.0mm x 100.0 mm
Compression Ratio: 10.5:1
Maximum Output (net): 227HP (169kW) /5,000rpm⁵
Maximum torque (net): 310ft-lb (420Nm) /2,000rpm

¹ A delay in acceleration response common in turbocharged engines due to the time required for the compressor to take effect
² Below 3000 rpm. Based on Mazda’s in-house investigations
³ The ratio of air to fuel that provides exactly enough oxygen to burn all of the fuel present. For petrol the ratio is 14.7:1
⁴ As of November 2015. Based on Mazda’s in-house investigation
⁵ When using AKI 87 regular petrol. Maximum output with AKI 93 premium petrol is 250HP (186kW) /5,000rpm

Autoblog
Other readers pointed out that you only get the full 250 horsepower when running on 93-octane fuel; driving with 87-octane results in 227 hp. It's true, and honestly, most customers won't care. In fact, our drive took place on regular-octane fuel, and no one told us until we finished the test. At no point did we think, "You know, this thing could really use an extra 23 hp." Besides, the all-important 310 lb-ft of torque is there regardless of fuel choice.

That engine would make a good GTI competitor from the Mazda 3.

Also im Surprised how Mazda is able to make such High compression engines run on Regular fuel.

Back