Mazda CX/MX range discussion

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 400 comments
The Astina looks more flash in diesel form. The Akera CX-3, I feel, has the better looking interior in bone than the 3 in beige.
I've driven the diesel 3 around for a bit and had an SP25GT as a work car. The 2/CX-3 dash looks fresh and more high-end than the 3.

The new look of the CX-9/CX-4, with that brown color, is going to change the game their classes. The 3 is going to need a refresh soon.

One thing I noticed when trying out the CX-3. It has the best front seats(supremely more comfortable) of all the Mazdas. For 2016, I see the seats in the 3 have changed to those from the CX-3.
I own a CX-3. It is immensely comfortable.

The CX4 looks to be on identical dimensions to the Mazda 3 where the CX5 is slightly bigger and boxier.

It's weird. CX-4 is the same size as the Mazda 3 and the CX-3 (8 inches smaller) is the same size as.... nothing. It's smaller than a 3 and bigger than a 2. CX-2.5?

The Outback is M6 wagon size but lower. Maybe height but the CX-4 would be shorter.

A CX-5 is 300mm shorter than an Outback. If it's slotting between the CX-5 and CX-3, I cant see it being that big.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/409550/2017-mazda-cx-4cx-6-koeru-crossover-spied/
According to this, the concept is slightly longer, wider and 200mm lower than CX-5. To be a sportier variant. Guess that keeps the Mazda3 safe.

To add to the photo.

HIROSHIMA, Japan: Mazda Motor Corporation has commenced production of the Brand-New Mazda CX-9 three-row large SUV.

On sale in the North American market this autumn, 80 per cent of the estimated 50,000 annual global sales will come out of the U.S and Canada.

The CX-9 is a high-end model of the new-generation line-up featuring the full range of SKYACTIV Technology and ‘KODO - Soul of Motion’ design.

Made in Japan to the highest quality standards, it offers customers an indulgent experience of quality and comfort that goes beyond specs and functionality.

To coincide with the start of production of the new model, Mazda has begun manufacturing a new 2.5-litre direct injection turbocharged petrol engine called SKYACTIV-G 2.5T.

Built at its Hiroshima plant, the new generation CX-9 engine offers quieter, more refined Jinba-ittai driving with superb fuel economy performance.

The Brand-New Mazda CX-9 arrives at Australian Mazda Dealerships in mid-2016.

CX-4 to debut in Beijing.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/mazda-cx-4-to-make-global-debut-at.html

2017-mazda-cx-4-beijing-0.jpg

So what of the bad did it get from Alfa?
Electronics. An old Alfa is probably as reliable as a Type 1 VW compared to ANY of today's cars. I work for Mazda, from the 2 to the BT-50, bumper to bumper, there are problems that leave people stranded(without warning mind you).

Desirable but unreliable? Pretty sure Mazda has all the good of old Alfa but none of the bad, which was a lot.
What "bad"?
So what of the bad did it get from Alfa?
I've honestly never even heard of a late model Mazda having electrical problems. And I know a TON of late model Mazda owners.
I work with late model Mazdas everyday.

All cars have problems. Limp home mode is today's car's saving grace.

Last edited:
CdIx15NWIAAyda7.jpg

500_wKjBxVaWIbeARgKLAAFRKZQ9W2o680.jpg

620x0_1_2015092218240689494.jpg

1007600.jpg

20160125105813_881_.jpg

TOKYO -- Mazda Motor Corp. is adding a new nameplate to the lineup, and taking its crossover range into the even numbers, with the low and sporty CX-4.

The new model will debut at the Beijing motor show in April, the Japanese carmaker said in a release today. The vehicle is based on the Koeru concept, a low-profile, fastback five-door cross wagon unveiled at last September’s Frankfurt auto show.

But don’t expect the CX-4 in the U.S. anytime soon. It initially will be manufactured in China and sold only in that country, spokeswoman Michiko Terashima said. The company is considering sales in other markets, but nothing has been decided.

The new entry takes the brand deeper into crossover territory at a time when small utility vehicle sales are booming. Mazda has said it wants tap that demand by bulking up its offerings of crossovers, which already span the CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9.

The CX-4 may also aim to siphon sales from red-hot Subaru by entering a segment where it could compete head-on with the popular Subaru Outback.

In an interview with Automotive News last fall, Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai likened the Koeru to the Outback and said it would be a new genre for his brand.

“It’s a totally new car. It’s a lower, sporty SUV. It’s close to a wagon,” Kogai said.

He said the upcoming car will ride lower than the brand’s other crossovers and will focus more on delivering more exhilarating driving.

Any production version that goes up against the Outback would have plenty of volume to siphon but also plenty of loyal buyers to convert.

In the U.S. alone, Subaru sold 152,294 Outbacks in 2015, 9.7 percent more than in the previous year. That total is more than Mazda’s combined truck sales for the CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9 in that period. Subaru’s presence is much smaller in China.

Mazda’s global crossover lineup gets another lift this spring with the arrival of the next-generation CX-9 high-end crossover, Mazda’s only three-row offering.

North America will be the main market for that vehicle. It is expected to account for about 80 percent of global volume of some 50,000 units annually.

Am I the only one that thinks this currently design language that works so well on Mazda's cars, does not work at all on their SUV's? This CX-4 just looks like a bloated Mazda3 (maybe that was their plan) and I'm not really liking it.

It doesn't really differentiate itself enough from the CX-5 to work, in my opinion. Style wise, it really just looks like a Mazda 3 on stilts... Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't exactly make a case for itself, either. I guess I just don't see why it would be necessary with the CX-5 there.

It doesn't really differentiate itself enough from the CX-5 to work, in my opinion. Style wise, it really just looks like a Mazda 3 on stilts... Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't exactly make a case for itself, either. I guess I just don't see why it would be necessary with the CX-5 there.
It's not as tall as the CX-5. The car has no real place as it will cannibalize the sales of the Mazda3 or the CX-3.

It actually looks pretty much perfect. The CX-3 is too small, and the Mazda3 is great from the B-pillar forwards, but is otherwise also pretty cramped. The CX-4 looks like the better hatchback option to pair with the Mazda6

Price wise I wonder where this sits, the CX-3 is roughly the same price as the Mazda 3, and CX-5 is the same sort of price as the Mazda 6.

Something tells me the price will be really close to the CX-5 or the same, Which makes me think this might replace it, it's not as big height wise, but it's longer and wider and the price scale suggests it's sitting in the same zone, it is also in the right time frame for it to replace the CX-5 as it's been out for quite a long time now.

Price wise I wonder where this sits, the CX-3 is roughly the same price as the Mazda 3, and CX-5 is the same sort of price as the Mazda 6.

Something tells me the price will be really close to the CX-5 or the same, Which makes me think this might replace it, it's not as big height wise, but it's longer and wider and the price scale suggests it's sitting in the same zone, it is also in the right time frame for it to replace the CX-5 as it's been out for quite a long time now.
CX-5 sells quite well in the US. The car may not make it to here.

CX-5 sells quite well in the US. The car may not make it to here.
If Mazda has made this as the successor to the CX-5 then you will get it, but if it is to sell alongside im not sure.

The more I think about it the more it looks highly likely that this car is the replacement for the CX-5, it's not exactly smaller(it's bigger in every dimension except height), but interior and exterior styling looks significantly more modern which suggests this to be the case.

azamirange.jpg

Headed by the range-topping Azami, Brand-New Mazda CX-9 buyers will be spoilt for choice when Mazda’s large seven-seater SUV goes on sale later this year.

The new-generation Mazda CX-9 will be available in four grades for the first time, including the entry-level Sport, the mid-spec Touring, the high grade GT and the high plus Azami, bringing it in line with the four grades offered on Mazda CX-5 and First-Ever-Mazda CX-3.

Available with both Front-Wheel Drive (FWD) and All-Wheel Drive (AWD) drivetrains, it brings the complete range of CX-9s on offer to eight – the largest ever offered.

Making the range even more attractive, Brand New Mazda CX-9 boasts combined fuel economy figures from a low 8.4 litres per 100 kilometres, while the All-Wheel Drive (AWD) alternative sips only 8.8 litres per 100 kilometres. This represents an improvement of almost 25 per cent.

Running on standard (91 RON ) or with E10 petrol, and with 170kW of power and 420Nm or torque, the Brand-New Mazda CX-9 includes the all-new 2.5 litre direct-injection turbo charged petrol engine with both i-stop and i-ELOOP technology.

i-stop saves fuel by switching off the engine when the engine comes to a stop, restarting when the driver takes their foot off the brake. i-ELOOP, a world-first technology developed by Mazda, is a capacitor-based brake energy generation system that stores energy which is used to power the vehicle’s electrical system, also saving fuel.

The Brand-New Mazda CX-9 will be the most economical in its class when compared to other seven seater petrol models.

“This is the most comprehensive Mazda CX-9 range ever,” said Mazda Australia marketing director Alastair Doak.

“Four grades in both Front and All-Wheel Drive, this brings the Mazda CX-9 range in line with the four distinct grades that we offer on Mazda CX-5 and Mazda CX-3. Both of which have proved to be very appealing to Australian car buyers.

“When the Brand-New Mazda CX-9 arrives, thanks to the strength of the range and the significantly improved fuel economy figures, there is certainly something for everyone.”

The Brand-New Mazda CX-9 also features the efficient and lightweight SKYACTIV Technology, a range of i-ACTIVSENSE advanced safety technologies, the impressive i-ACTIV AWD all-wheel drive system, and the award-winning ‘KODO - Soul of Motion’ design language.

Back