Mazda CX/MX range discussion

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 399 comments
That gray is also the same on on the RF Miata. Great color and a super cool technology that makes it possible.

Mazda breaks first quarter record, tops four key sales segments, sets new Japanese financial year record

Mazda has had the best ever start to a year

Mazda has had the best start to a year ever, selling over 10,000 vehicles in March on its way to setting a new Japanese financial year sales benchmark.

According to VFACTS figures released today, Mazda currently tops four of the nation’s most popular sales segments having sold 10,228 cars, SUVs and utilities in March, and holds a healthy 9.8 per cent market share. Mazda’s March record means Mazda has sold in excess of 10,000 vehicles over three successive months for the first time.

With a record 30,449 first quarter sales - up 7.7 per cent Year-On-Year (YOY) – Mazda has a 10.7 per cent slice of the Australian market and maintains its position as the country’s leading full-line import brand.

The strong start to the year has helped Mazda post a new Japanese financial year record. With 116,193 retails from April 1, 2015, to the end of March this year, sales are up by 14,994 units or 14.8 per cent YOY. Mazda’s sales increase accounted for 66 per cent of the total market growth (22,623) recorded by the top 10 car makers during the April to March period.

After a strong March, Mazda nameplates lead the competitive light and small passenger, and small and medium SUV sales segments. It is also the first time that Mazda has topped four segments at the same time.

The ever-popular Mazda3 enjoyed 3,145 sales last month and is the nation’s most popular car to the end of March, while Mazda2’s 1,150 March sales narrowly keeps it ahead of its nearest rival in the light class.

Mazda CX-5 has returned to the top of the medium SUV segment, and is Australia’s most popular SUV, having sold 2,252 units last month. Its first quarter performance also saw it enjoy its best start to a year ever with 6,158 sales.

Now on sale in Australia for a full 12 months, Mazda CX-3 had a record March with 1,755 sales. Since launch, 17,183 vehicles have found new homes making it the country’s best-selling small SUV.

Having unveiled the All-New Mazda MX-5 RF at the recent New York International Auto Show, interest in the MX-5 is at an all-time high. Currently available with a choice of two grades, two engine and two transmission types, the MX-5 had its best March since 1999, with 192 sales.
Recently awarded 2016 World Car of the Year and World Car Design of the Year, Mazda MX-5 also had its best-ever start to a year with 516 retails.

In support, New Mazda BT-50 recorded 1,236 sales last month; while Mazda6 maintained its position as the nation’s most popular mid-sized import under $60,000 with 384 March sales. Additionally, having sold 114 units last month, and with current generation stock dwindling, the Brand-New Mazda CX-9, which is due to arrive mid-year, can’t come soon enough.

Mazda Australia managing director, Martin Benders said: “We are pleased that our dealers have been able to sustain their 2015 momentum with a record first quarter in 2016. This result is a testament to the consumer appeal of our showroom line-up and the focus on excellent customer service by our Dealer partners.”

Wait, you can't? I thought you could for a base FWD model.
As far as the online configurator goes, the base model CX-5 can be had with a manual but not on the CX-3. Weird, as it's got the same engine as the base CX-5. You'd expect a smaller, more youth oriented vehicle to have one but I guess not.

Might be that research shows North Americans prefer an automatic in that segment. Japan only sell the CX-3, as the top diesel auto.

Edit: Maybe it'll be more of a city runabout than suburban traveller.

I'll also add, many women down here prefer manual transmissions. It's what they've learned to drive when getting their license. I see majority of CX-3 owners with manuals, from base Neo through to petrol Akera.

Last edited:
How come you can get the CX-5 with a manual but not the CX-3? (US)

I believe Mazda's official explanation was that they didn't think it'd sell well enough to justify it being an available option. Although the CX-5 has it, it being limited to the FWD trim, it eliminates a lot of potential buyers who want the stick and AWD. The automatic isn't the worst thing ever in the CX-3, pretty crisp up and down shifts for the unit. At the very least, Mazda does do their shifting pattern correctly on their cars.

I believe Mazda's official explanation was that they didn't think it'd sell well enough to justify it being an available option. Although the CX-5 has it, it being limited to the FWD trim, it eliminates a lot of potential buyers who want the stick and AWD. The automatic isn't the worst thing ever in the CX-3, pretty crisp up and down shifts for the unit. At the very least, Mazda does do their shifting pattern correctly on their cars.
My step mom actually has the CX-5 with the 6-speed automatic and the 2.4; the layout it great and it's the nicest auto I've driven. But a manual would be even better. Wouldn't sell well? But on a bigger vehicle it would? Don't understand, but maybe because there's one on the 2.0 we'll get one in the future. Keep hopes up, I feel like manuals are becoming a little more popular, proportionately.

$31k seems like good value for the spec.

Kodo design continues to get better and more refined. I'm very impressed with it's evolution.

The CX-4 has been unveiled! The catch? It's exclusive to the Chinese market.
2016-mazda-cx-4.jpg

2016-mazda-cx-4.jpg

2016-mazda-cx-4.jpg

If priced right, this would definitely kill those looking to get an SP25 3 or young people who are looking to buy CX-5s.

What's also clever is, it blends the 2/CX-3/3 instrument panel with the 6 climate and centre console through to the centre armrest. A pretty slick model. Bring it down here and it would clean up.

Last edited:
That's a shame it's Chinese market only, as it's probably the best interpretation of their design language.

That's the best looking CUV I've seen that isn't a lifted Subaru or an Audi. Shame it's only going to be sold in China.

Brand-New Mazda CX-9 launch cars dock in Australia

The first shipment of CX-9s have arrived
CX-9s%20on%20the%20dock.jpg

CX-9s%20on%20the%20dock.jpg

The first shipment of Brand-New Mazda CX-9s have arrived in Australia ahead of its July launch.
Scheduled for use at the national media launch, followed by a Mazda Dealer event, 60 vehicles docked in Melbourne late last night having been shipped direct from Japan.
Buyer interest in Mazda’s luxury seven-seat family-sized SUV is at an all-time high with almost 55,000 potential purchase leads registering their interest in the vehicle, of which 13,000 want to be contacted directly by a Mazda representative.
Never has there been so much pre-launch interest in a Mazda model, with CX-9 numbers surpassing the record 34,000 leads and 9,700 priority call requests recorded for All-New Mazda MX-5 prior to its showroom debut in early-August last year.
“We had record interest in Mazda MX-5, but the response to Brand-New Mazda CX-9 has been remarkable,” said Mazda Australia marketing director Alastair Doak.
“Never have we experienced such pre-launch interest in a Mazda nameplate.
“This gives our sales team a fantastic starting platform, with the goal being to turn as many of these potential buyers into CX-9 owners.”
When the Brand-New Mazda CX-9 goes on sale it will be available in four grades for the first time, including the entry-level Sport, mid-grade Touring, high-spec GT and high plus grade Azami.
Available with the all-new SKYACTIV-G 2.5T 2.5 litre direct-injection turbo charged petrol engine with both i-stop and i-ELOOP technology, the Brand-New Mazda CX-9 boasts fuel economy figures from a low 8.4 litres per 100 kilometres.
The Brand-New Mazda CX-9 also features the efficient and lightweight SKYACTIV Technology, the impressive i-ACTIV AWD all-wheel drive system, and the award-winning ‘KODO - Soul of Motion’ design language.

Last edited:
VXR
That's a shame it's Chinese market only, as it's probably the best interpretation of their design language.
It wouldn't make sense in any market that has the CX-3 and the Mazda 3 hatch. Would eat sales of both.

It would eat into CX-5 and Mazda6 due to its size. It sits higher than a 6 and sleeker than a 5.

The 3 feels like getting into a go-kart after sitting in the CX-3.

Unveilings for CX-9 have begun. A few Mazda techs I know, have seen them. Couldn't get in the cars but, have said the front isn't that great. Yet, the rear looks like an MX-5 was put on the back of a CX-5.

Hopefully I can get to an unveiling next week Monday or Tuesday at Botany Bay.

A little more detail as pricing hasn't been finalised. Possibly $70k and a new color Metallic Machine Grey.
That's wrong, no way a Mazda crossover can be priced at $70,000. Not even the most luxurious crossovers cost that much.

It's right around other high end SUV's in that size range. Infiniti QX60, Highlander Limited Platinum, Pilot Elite, etc.
Yes, but it's still overpriced.

Infiniti QX60: $42k MSRP
Honda Pilot Elite: $46k MSRP
Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum: $44k MSRP

It is considerably more expensive.

Yes, but it's still overpriced.

Infiniti QX60: $42k MSRP
Honda Pilot Elite: $46k MSRP
Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum: $44k MSRP

It is considerably more expensive.
Also there could be a markup. I believe I've heard that some cars are slightly more expensive in Australia.

Latest Posts

Back