Mazda RT24-P IMSA SportsCar Championship DPI SpeedSource Race Engineering #55 2017

• Thread starter JR98
  • 22 comments
United Kingdom
The UK
JASON_ROCKS1998
JR98 GAMING
upload_2016-11-16_21-14-42.png

imsa-mazda-rp-24p-prototype-unveiling-2016-mazda-rp-24p-prototype.jpg

Mazda has unveiled its DPi challenger, the RT24-P, which will make its debut in January’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season-opening Rolex 24 at Daytona, with a two-car factory Prototype class effort.

The Japanese manufacturer took the wraps off its highly anticipated program Wednesday at the LA Auto Show.

The RT24-P, which signifies “Mazda’s Road to 24” program, as well as its two-liter, four-cylinder Mazda MZ-2.0T engine, will be based on the Riley Mk. 30 LMP2 chassis, designed and built by Multimatic-Riley.

It features custom bodywork, manufactured by Multimatic and utilizing Mazda’s KODO-Soul of Motion design philosophy, including sleek body contours and the five-point Mazda grille.

“This is a huge moment for Mazda Motorsports and the entire Mazda family,” said Mazda Motorsports North America director John Doonan.

“To have a car which features Mazda design language at the top level of our motorsports program is meaningful for us as a brand. We believe we have the right team, the right drivers and the right chassis to win races and championships.”

SpeedSource will again operate the factory Prototype program for the third consecutive season, with all four of its full-season drivers: Jonathan Bomarito, Tristan Nunez, Joel Miller and Tom Long expected to be back as well.

Its relationship with AER will also continue, with the same MZ-2.0T engine that was utilized in its Lola-based prototypes this year.

Additionally, Mazda will become the first team to test the Riley Mk. 30 LMP2 chassis later this month.

“Mazda has good, long-standing relationships with Riley and Multimatic, and is happy to be the first to test their new chassis,” Doonan said.

“We look forward to seeing it make its racing debut at Daytona with Mazda bodywork and the Mazda MZ-2.0T engine.

“The strategic vision of IMSA to give auto manufacturers this opportunity to integrate our branding, to better engage our passionate fans, is unique and we’re proud to be the first to unveil what is possible.”

The car is expected to make its public test debut in next month’s IMSA-sanctioned test at Daytona on Dec. 13-14, which is mandatory for all DPi manufacturers and LMP2 constructors.

Mazda is one of three expected DPi manufacturers to be on the grid at Daytona, joining the previously confirmed Nissan customer program with Tequila Patron ESM, and the yet-to-be-announced Cadillac DPi effort with Action Express Racing and Wayne Taylor Racing.

IMG_4107.JPG
IMG_4110.JPG
IMG_4113.JPG
IMG_4112.JPG

This is very cool looking LMP. Seeing it with proper headlights, whenever they finish them, and some tastefully done sponsor logos will be quite a sight. The manufacturer's signature style grille reminds me of the GT1 / LMP cars of the 1990s.

This is very cool looking LMP. Seeing it with proper headlights, whenever they finish them, and some tastefully done sponsor logos will be quite a sight. The manufacturer's signature style grille reminds me of the GT1 / LMP cars of the 1990s.
The way the headlights are done reminds me of the Peugeot 905

peugeot-905-2.jpg

Voted, because there's a little part of me that still cares about Mazda. And, this LMP2 shows that, they have some fun and Zoom-Zoom into them.

Really hope they make a proper LMP1 version of this to go to Le Mans with, because this car is amazing. IMO the best of the DPi's this year.

Really hope they make a proper LMP1 version of this to go to Le Mans with, because this car is amazing. IMO the best of the DPi's this year.

Knowing their history with rotories (Even though, they are using a proper four-cylinder endurance car these days), I don't think the FIA committee could allow Mazda back in Le Mans.

(EDIT: Please ignore this comment! I didn't know, what I was saying!)

Last edited:
Knowing their history with rotories (Even though, they are using a proper four-cylinder endurance car these days), I don't think the FIA committee could allow Mazda back in Le Mans.
What?

Firstly, Mazda isn't banned from Le Mans. Secondly, neither are rotaries. Thirdly, the car doesn't and wouldn't use a rotary as there's none to suit and the equivalency formula would render it uncompetitive even if there was.

Mazda would race at Le Mans if Mazda qualified for Le Mans, by winning a relevant qualification event or by invitation.

And finally Le Mans is governed by the ACO, not the FIA...

What?

Firstly, Mazda isn't banned from Le Mans. Secondly, neither are rotaries. Thirdly, the car doesn't and wouldn't use a rotary as there's none to suit and the equivalency formula would render it uncompetitive even if there was.

Mazda would race at Le Mans if Mazda qualified for Le Mans, by winning a relevant qualification event or by invitation.

And finally Le Mans is governed by the ACO, not the FIA...
My apologies, Famine. It's just that, I'm not that well experienced when it comes to Le Mans. Plus, I also thought rotaries would be still banned in Le Mans because of the unfair advantage that Mazda used to have in 1991, with the high-reving RPMs that rotaries were known for. Not only that, I also thought, that was the reason why Mazda stopped racing in Le Mans in the first place. That's why I made so many drastic mistakes, in my previous comment. Sure, Mazda could be a capable competitor for Le Mans. It's just, I'm stuck in my "early-2000s Mazda rules/hipster" phase... (Last time, I look at memes from CarThrottle)

Last edited:
Plus, I also thought rotaries would be still banned in Le Mans because of the unfair advantage that Mazda used to have in 1991, with the high-reving RPMs that rotaries were known for.
The advantage wasn't the revs, rather the equivalency formula (or BOP - Balance Of Performance) that allowed lower weight and different fuel loads for the rotaries.

That was recalculated for 1992 - they weren't banned - and the engine was rendered hideously uncompetitive, so there's been few serious attempts since.

The advantage wasn't the revs, rather the equivalency formula (or BOP - Balance Of Performance) that allowed lower weight and different fuel loads for the rotaries.

That was recalculated for 1992 and the engine was rendered hideously uncompetitive, so there's been few serious attempts since
So, you're saying that the 787B was heavier and either had more or lesser fuel than the other Prototypes in 1991, and the year after Mazda's victory, ACO (See, I'm getting better.) recalculated the regulations and Mazda was having trouble ever since?... Thanks, Famine, for teaching me Le Mans history!

So, you're saying that the 787B was heavier and either had more or lesser fuel than the other Prototypes in 1991
It was lighter than the C1 Prototypes by about 170kg and had more fuel due to the consumption calculations. In fact it was quite frugal, so the extra fuel load meant the car could go balls out and not come in danger of hitting the fuel allowance.

The recalculations for 1992 meant that a rotary would be simply woeful, so there was no follow-up entry for Mazda (or anyone else). Someone entered a rotary in LM24 in the early Noughties (I think in what would be LMP2 today), but it was a hopeless failure.

(to Famine) Poor Mazda... In these days, I've always disrespected them because of the maturity the company shown, after they have left Ford. Their tagline, "Driving Matters", always gets me angry because that's not the Mazda I knew and loved. After learning about their hardship of returning to Le Mans, I've almost cried inside. Mazda need to comeback to Le Mans, and FAST! Just to bring "Zoom-Zoom" back.

(to Famine) Poor Mazda... In these days, I've always disrespected them because of the maturity the company shown, after they have left Ford. Their tagline, "Driving Matters", always gets me angry because that's not the Mazda I knew and loved. After learning about their hardship of returning to Le Mans, I've almost cried inside. Mazda need to comeback to Le Mans, and FAST! Just to bring "Zoom-Zoom" back.
Most of their cars weren't really that great when they were with Ford.

Mazda was at its best before Ford took the controlling stake in 1996, but since regaining independence in 2012 it has gone on to be arguably better than ever.

Still, even in the Ford-owned doldrum days (which were necessary for the brand's survival, so I can't be too mean!), the Mazda ethos of making its cars great to drive persisted. The 2, 3 and 626/6 were always more engaging than their Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo brethren, but often overlooked.

(Disclaimer: I've owned 8 Mazdas)

Mazda was at its best before Ford took the controlling stake in 1996, but since regaining independence in 2012 it has gone on to be arguably better than ever.

Still, even in the Ford-owned doldrum days (which were necessary for the brand's survival, so I can't be too mean!), the Mazda ethos of making its cars great to drive persisted. The 2, 3 and 626/6 were always more engaging than their Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo brethren, but often overlooked.

(Disclaimer: I've owned 8 Mazdas)
Wasn't their V6 engine used in the Millenia like state-of-the-art or something like that?

Someone entered a rotary in LM24 in the early Noughties (I think in what would be LMP2 today), but it was a hopeless failure.

Yea I remember reading that up a little while ago. Believe it was the Autoexe WR LMP-02, raced at Le Man in 2002/2003(?), believe it used a modified (ultimately heavily restricted) RB26 4-rotor from the 787B.

Autoexe WR LMP-02.JPG

Was the last Rotary powered car to race at Le Mans was it not?
Shame there hasn't been a Rotary since, and with the current regs as they are, a Rotary would be horrendously out of touch as you say, meaning we won't see another Rotary for now.

Sort of gone off topic slightly there, my bad :lol:

Poor Mazda... In these days, I've always disrespected them because of the maturity the company shown, after they have left Ford. Their tagline, "Driving Matters", always gets me angry because that's not the Mazda I knew and loved. After learning about their hardship of returning to Le Mans, I've almost cried inside. Mazda need to comeback to Le Mans, and FAST! Just to bring "Zoom-Zoom" back.
Yeah, but the commercials! The jingle! That's what made me love Mazda! That, and the Mazdaspeed models.#BRINGBACKZOOMZOOM

Sorry for being off-topic. Now, about the RT24-P... Good looking LMP, reminds me of the LM55 VGT because of the tiny KODO-like fascia.

Last edited:
Some specs for the car:

Engine: AER-Mazda MZ 2.0L Turbo Straight 4
Horsepower: 600 HP
Transmission: 6-Speed Sequential
Weight: 930 KG
Drivetrain: RWD

Back