Mazda RX-8 Spirit R 2012

• Thread starter kostas_jdm
  • 24 comments
Greece
Greece
kostas_dmkp_jdm
01-mazda-rx-8-spirit-r.jpg
02-mazda-rx-8-spirit-r.jpg

I was just thinking this very thing; either this or the RX-8 R3, though spec-wise they're essentially the same. It would certainly be nice to have the swansong of the RX-8 series added.

..........I thought this would be in GT5 as a DLC - I was wrong. Thought this would pop up in GT6. Was wrong AGAIN. Oh PDI, you like to make a fool of me, dontcha....

MazdaRX-8SpiritRJapan2011_zps46e98fb2.jpg

The Spirit R was a limited edition RX-8 for the Japanese market. The name "Spirit R" was based on the final limited edition Mazda RX-7. The RX-8 Spirit R came equipped with front and rear red brake calipers with piano-black transmission tunnel trim. The manual transmission model included SPIRIT R bucket seats from Recaro, and 19-inch bronze alloy wheels. The automatic transmission model included leather seats in black with red stitching, a leather-wrapped steering wheel (in black with red stitching), and a center console box front seat armrest covered with synthetic leather with red stitching. The body color choices for the Spirit R included Aluminum Metallic, Sparkling Black Mica, and Crystal White Pearl Mica.
A small number of Spirit R RX-8's were sold in Indonesia, Malaysia and New Zealand.

4f9bbab209b602ff63000021_zps23c73730.jpg

Hah. Thought it might just be me. The Spirit-R was only available in Japan, but I got myself a nice neat low-mileage R3 just over a year ago. What an absolute joy it is to drive. Thirsty little bugger though. :D

Do you have to overhaul the rotors every 60,000 miles like on the RX-7? Or is the RX-8's Wankel more hardy?

Do you have to overhaul the rotors every 60,000 miles like on the RX-7? Or is the RX-8's Wankel more hardy?

It is a somewhat more robust unit, but it's not without its "quirks". :D They made even more improvements for the 2009 R3 and GT power unit over the series 1 RX-8. Additionally, all RX-8s have an 8 year/100,000 mile drive-train warranty. As long as you look after it, actually look at the dipstick now and again, regular servicing (oil change especially), as one should do with any sports car, you should be good.

The only real issue I have with the renesis is it drinks like Andre Roussimoff. Since it's not a daily driver (I pedal or metro my way to work), it's not such an issue for me.

Ask the same question about the RX-3 and MPS3 (both of them), the MX-5 Superlight... I really don't get why PD and Turn 10 can't trade some FM4 models and jazz them up but this is better than the R3 in my personal opinion.

another YES. PLEASE. for me, because we need the newer, more refined RX-8s in the game. It's already 2013 when GT6 was released and yet PD didn't include any of the 2nd-gen RX-8s in the game. I mean, seriously, WTF Kaz. :irked:

I'm currently undecided on if I should buy GT7, but this car is one of the very, very few things that will make me immediately pre–order the game. With Mazda being officially partnered with PD, it makes no sense that the final Rotary Engine powered car by Mazda isn't represented in the games yet.

There's one maintained in showroom condition at Mazda's Yokohama R&D Centre that gets loaned out to the press from time to time, so it really shouldn't be that difficult to find one that is suitable for scanning either.

もしPolyphony Digitalの誰かがこれを読んでいるなら、うちの感謝が伝えたいです。先に書いた通り、RX-8 Spirit Rの存在はGran Turismo 7に確認できる時、すぐにゲームを買うことになります。Gran Turismoの影響で、RX-7とRX-8は子供からのドリームカーのものなんですから、やっと後期のモデルが運転できるのは何より嬉しいです。誠にありがとうございます!

If anyone at Polyphony Digital is reading this, I want to convey my gratitude towards them. As I wrote in the post above, the moment the RX-8 Spirit R is confirmed to appear in Gran Turismo 7, I will immediately buy the game. The RX-7 and RX-8 have been my dream cars since childhood because of Gran Turismo, and the fact that I get to drive a facelifted model after all this time makes me happier than anything right now. Sincerely, thank you!

Back