McLaren Artura Unveiled: All-New 670hp Plug-In Hybrid Supercar

Patent photos reveal the design of the new model:
McLaren-Hybrid-Patents-6.jpg

McLaren-Hybrid-Patents-7.jpg

McLaren-Hybrid-Patents-5.jpg

https://www.motor1.com/news/450823/mclaren-hybrid-supercar-specs-report/

Supposedly, the Sports Series is getting replaced by High Performance Hybrid (HPH). This new car is expected to have 600 hp and the weight of the car is only expected to go up by 30 - 40 kg due to the hybrid system. It'll use the new McLaren Carbon Lightweight Architecture (MCLA, unrelated to Midnight Club LA), replacing the old MonoCell. The battery should have 20 miles of range. The name will no longer be based on power output and most likely use one of the names McLaren has trademarked within the past year (Arkon, Veo, Artura, Vion, etc)

mclaren-hybrid-supercar-spy-photos.jpg

I think they realised at some point the model numbers would overlap with the previous models or we would get into that horrible Hollywood reboot thing where they put the year in brackets after the film name.

McLaren 650 (2021) etc.

Excited about the new powertrain but please change the steering wheel, it's been the same unit since the MP4-12C

I don't understand the hype. Looks like a 570S named after somebody's grandpa. Since when is a 570S "the full force of McLaren"? It's literally their economy car.

mclaren-artura_100781736_h.jpg

mclaren-artura_100781737_h.jpg

The Artura is the first McLaren to be truly new since the the MP4-12C supercar nearly a decade ago. Riding on the new McLaren Carbon Lightweight Architecture (MCLA), the carbon-fiber tub replaces the automaker's MonoCell design that started life in the MP4-12C. Rivals Ferrari and Lamborghini utilize aluminum construction for their lower-level models. The MCLA was designed from the start for electrified powertrains, and the platform will be utilized in future McLarens.

A twin-turbocharged 2.9-liter V-6 produces 577 hp and 431 lb-ft of torque. At 353 pounds, it weighs 110 lbs less than McLaren's twin-turbo V-8 and is shorter for better packaging, which is aided by dry sump lubrication. The aluminum engine can rev to 8,500 rpm, which is just 500 rpm shy of the 2022 Porsche 911 GT3's naturally aspirated 4.0-liter flat-6. The gas engine is paired with an electric motor located in the 8-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission that adds 94 hp and 166 lb-ft of torque. Total powertrain output of 671 hp and 531 lb-ft of torque is sent to the rear wheels via an electronically controlled differential also mounted within the transmission.

The Artura utilizes the electric motor to reverse the car by spinning in the opposite direction. There is no reverse gear in the transmission. Neat trick.

At 3,303 pounds, the Artura is no heavyweight, but McLaren said it packs a punch with a 0-60 mph sprint of 3.0 seconds, a 0-124 mph blast of 8.3 seconds, and a 0-186 mph run of 21.5 seconds on its way to a top speed limited to 205 mph.

The 7.4-kwh lithium-ion battery pack that powers the electric motor provides the Artura with up 19 miles of all-electric range. McLaren said the system can be charged up to 80% in 2.5 hours on a 240-volt outlet, though the battery can also be recharged via the gas engine while driving via various drive modes.

McLaren provides four powertrain modes: E-mode (all-electric mode), Comfort, Sport, and Track. Independently controlled handling modes adjust the dampers and electronic stability control system.

In a bid to provide feedback from the road, McLaren sticks with a hydraulic power-steering system. Every Artura will come with carbon-ceramic brakes and aluminum calipers to save unsprung weight and deliver track-ready stopping performance.

mclaren-artura_100781732_h.jpg

mclaren-artura_100781731_h.jpg

mclaren-artura_100781726_h.jpg

mclaren-artura_100781725_h.jpg

mclaren-artura_100781719_h.jpg

mclaren-artura_100781714_h.jpg

mclaren-artura_100781713_h.jpg

mclaren-artura_100781712_h.jpg

mclaren-artura_100781711_h.jpg

mclaren-artura_100781752_h.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like a bit of a blend; Sports Series body, some Elva cues in the front & rear, and some of the more pronounced features you see in the LTs. I like it, though. If this is where the Sports Series goes, I'm eager to see this design evolve. It feels exactly as the car is underneath, new.

I quite like the overall look of this. I especially like the shape of the side scoops, as they kind of remind me of a modern day take on the old Ferrari 308/328 air intakes.

Stunning looking car, and the tech is quite fascinating - Using the electric motor as a substitute for a reverse gear is an interesting idea!

Design is ok, it looks like a blend of 720s and Mclaren GT but has just enough to make it look like a different model. I cant even imagine a Mclaren with a v6 but should be interesting. One thing is more then likely for sure, all of its performance numbers including power is way underrated.

Last edited:
I'm guessing I'm the only person not head-over-heels with the design. It definitely looks good, but it's barely any different from the current entry-level offerings, so I don't quite understand the fanfare that the design is receiving.

The tech, and all the lengths McLaren has gone to keep the car light,is pretty cool however. As mentioned earlier by another member, I dig the idea of using the electric motor for reverse gear. I just wonder if the car has a proper gear in the event the electric motor is out of juice.

The quoted figures in the article gives it twice the fuel economy of my current daily.

If I snatch one of these up it’ll pay for itself in 1.3 million miles!

The tech, and all the lengths McLaren has gone to keep the car light,is pretty cool however. As mentioned earlier by another member, I dig the idea of using the electric motor for reverse gear. I just wonder if the car has a proper gear in the event the electric motor is out of juice.

The SF90 Stradale also does this and I believe the Koenigsegg Regera too. Attaching an electric motor to the crank is nothing new, but I think this is the cheapest supercar so far to do it. As for running out of juice, I think that's easily solved by the onboard computers limiting battery depletion to a certain % so that you always have some juice to reverse out.

In terms of tech though, this seems to have gone a bit backwards compared to previous models:
- No regenerative braking (but the engine can recharge the battery in some modes)
- Normal antiroll bars instead of hydraulic cross links
- No brake steer, just good ol' eLSD

More tech talk here: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hybrid/new-671bhp-mclaren-artura-and-its-hybrid

I just wonder if the car has a proper gear in the event the electric motor is out of juice.

As for running out of juice, I think that's easily solved by the onboard computers limiting battery depletion to a certain % so that you always have some juice to reverse out.

I also imagine in such a scenario, the engine can be used as a generator to give the battery enough charge to enable the car to reverse.

Yesterday I got to check out a red pre-production demo car they’re sending all over (I assume) western USA. It looks like a green car is making its way around the east coast.

009622F2-EC8D-4285-95A9-36F1B271DD9E.jpeg

9BC0393E-3AFF-4E0C-AE35-8993AD4D321D.jpeg

C992F0F0-B153-4F12-A8ED-9723F86366EB.jpeg

28C7BB9F-A137-4174-8037-6EDFF9B86029.jpeg

E4249BF0-98F1-4EA4-883B-1F72B385422B.jpeg

CE595547-6704-4297-B508-E07F1F2FBED3.jpeg

The particular spec this one was at was claimed to be worth around 300k with the options it had, and there’s a lot more that could be added. Really neat car, the staff were touting that they have new seats that are a lot softer, not quite GT soft but up there. I’d believe it:

B1B9AF2B-3875-40C8-BE8B-AEF116FF7CC0.jpeg

There was a fair amount of give while still retaining the carbon bucket firmness. I haven’t sat in many supercars but it did seem like something that would get uncomfortable after a few hours of driving. Need to make a few more figures or two in my bank account to find out for myself though :lol:

The V6 is a lot more growly and aggressive than I thought it’d be, they had to fire it up and move it out of the way to let out an Elva for shipment to an event in AZ. :eek: :bowdown:

Last edited:
Clip of the Twin-Turbo V6 sound in the Artura

It sounds surprisingly similar to the distinctive McLaren V8 sound, I would never have guessed that was a V6! :eek:

Back