Mercedes-AMG One: An F1-Engined Hypercar

The prices of these cars, They're no longer made for car lovers or rich car lovers. They're made exclusively for the "insanely rich and mine is bigger than yours crowd". It's really sad to me.
And people think it's strange that I think they're ridiculous. "They're bought by passionate people," they say. Well I say bull-pucky. It's a game among manufacturers (and up-starts, which is even more ridiculous) to see who can build the fastest car, only so the "who has the most expensive car" can be played by [largely] people who just won the conception lottery--I'd wager those who actually earned their fortunes are far less likely to make such purchases. And don't tell me people buy the cars because they're fun. You can't have that sort of fun legally in most parts of the world, and I've had downright stupid levels of fun, legally, with less than 100hp on 5" wide tires.

I have nothing against others appreciating them, I just don't understand why some are so taken aback by me not. As with modern (by that I mean the last 40-or-ro years) upper echelon racing; it's just mega horsepower, rubber and downforce.

I have nothing against others appreciating them, I just don't understand why some are so taken aback by me not. As with modern (by that I mean the last 40-or-ro years) upper echelon racing; it's just mega horsepower, rubber and downforce.
True. Mega rich people are taking million dollar classic race cars to the track and enjoying them.

If it were someone like Cameron Glickenhaus making their own car, fine. I see that asking price.

I guess this will be similar to the CLK-GTR. Maybe with an AMG GT type grille?

Makes me think of the C111 diesel.
IMG_9705.JPG

Mercedes-AMG Project One will cost €2.275m/US$2.42m/£1.97m and only 275 will be made
Mercedes-AMG boss Tobias Moers has confirmed to TopGear.com that the Project One hypercar will cost €2.275m (£1.97m at current exchange rates, £2.37m including tax) and be limited to a run of 275. Set to be revealed at the Frankfurt show in September - with first customers getting their cars in 2019 - it will be the most direct transfer of F1 technology into a road car yet.

“It’s pure F1 technology,” Moers tells us. “It’s a 1.6-litre engine, it still revs to 11,000rpm, but idles at 1,280rpm. All the electric components are from F1 - the crank motor, the split turbo, the front axle is driven by electric motors. Even the battery cells are F1, the most expensive cells on the planet.”

There’s still no official word on power output, although the general consensus is around 1000bhp, and Moers wouldn’t be drawn into making any performance claims: “I’m not saying it’s the fastest road car ever, I’m not chasing top speed, I don’t want to put any numbers on the table.”

What he will be doing, though, is wading into the murky world of Nürburgring lap times: “Yes, we’ll do it, come back to me at a later date. For hypercars none really does it, but you’ll see a time from us.”

And what about the car’s core character? You’d rightly expect a car spawned directly from F1 to be massively track-focused… though apparently, that’s not the plan. “My task is to make it a car you can use everyday,” Moers said. “You don’t need an F1 team, you don’t need special gas, you don’t need anything, you just push the button, it fires up and you drive away. That’s a challenge.”
TopGear.com

The prices of these cars, They're no longer made for car lovers or rich car lovers. They're made exclusively for the "insanely rich and mine is bigger than yours crowd". It's really sad to me.

F40 and F1 cost what if you consider inflation? Between 1 and 2 mil? And how much technology did they have? To make these, modern, cars you need top flight engineers in innumerable amount of fields. This price accurately reflects the labor and skill that goes into making them.

Ferrari F40/Porsche 959 Production Period: 1987-1993
-Recession: July 1990-March 1991​
Mclaren F1/Ferrari F50 Production Period: 1992-1998
-Recession: March 2001-November 2001​
Porsche Carrera GT/Ferrari Enzo/Mclaren SLR Production Period: 2003-2007
-Recession: December 2007-June 2009​
Porsche 918/Ferrari LaFerrari/Mclaren P1 Production Period: 2013-2017
-Recession: 2018?-?​
AMG/Aston Martin/Other Hypercars Production Period: 2019-??

Generations of hypercars (not counting those with long production runs like the Zonda or Veyron) tend to bookend periods of economic recession. With all these new models slated for production in 2019/2020 onwards, it has me wonder if we are due for one next year, statistically speaking....

Good to see F1 being road car relevant. :D

Looks like this might be more fuel efficient than the Aston Martin Valkyrie although might require more frequent engine replacements which might outweigh any savings. Might also weigh about 300kg more too, for sure this is going to be a mighty car.

However, I doubt this will be as fast as the Valkyrie, sound as good or as comfortable but glad it is being made, I like more variety. The Cosworth engine might sound like the early '90's F1 cars while the Mercedes should sound like the current ones.

Good to see F1 being road car relevant. :D

Looks like this might be more fuel efficient than the Aston Martin Valkyrie although might require more frequent engine replacements which might outweigh any savings. Might also weigh about 300kg more too, for sure this is going to be a mighty car.

However, I doubt this will be as fast as the Valkyrie, sound as good or as comfortable but glad it is being made, I like more variety. The Cosworth engine might sound like the early '90's F1 cars while the Mercedes should sound like the current ones.

You say that as if drivers will drive it enough to save money, I doubt that first tank or two of gas will ever be depleted

The rear of the car has been partially revealed. This shot was published in both Merc's and Merc-AMG's Instagrams, dunno about anywhere else.

AMG-Project-One-Teaser.jpg

I'm actually pretty hyped for this car, even though it seems to be quite heavier than the Valkyrie. I thought it'd be the other way around, with one having a 1.6L V6 while the other has a 6.5L V12. It could be 200 kgs heavier, which seems like a lot.

Considering the Valkyrie is a single-minded track-focussed hypercar, it's probably not surprising that the weight of Project One is what it is: hypercar first, track weapon second.

If that's the rear exhaust though, there's gonna be a lot of small pets going missing when this car hits the road. :)

Come to think of it, Regera anyone?

Koenigsegg-Regera-prototype-rear-three-quarter-01-660x440.jpg

Considering the Valkyrie is a single-minded track-focussed hypercar, it's probably not surprising that the weight of Project One is what it is: hypercar first, track weapon second.
Yeah, Mercedes said that the Project One is more of a luxury supercar rather than an Spartan one, but then again the interior is pretty similar to the Valkyrie with its square steering wheel and glued iPads. I suppose it comes down to the materials and seats, and maybe sound insulation? That does add a lot of weight.

By the way, here's the interior, although I don't know if it's confirmed:

mercedes-amg-project-one.jpg

Lewis Hamilton posted a pic of him in the car, and the steering wheel seems to be the same as this one, so I'd bet on it being real.

The rear of the car has been partially revealed. This shot was published in both Merc's and Merc-AMG's Instagrams, dunno about anywhere else.

AMG-Project-One-Teaser.jpg

I'm actually pretty hyped for this car, even though it seems to be quite heavier than the Valkyrie. I thought it'd be the other way around, with one having a 1.6L V6 while the other has a 6.5L V12. It could be 200 kgs heavier, which seems like a lot.
The Project One may have a smaller engine but it's probably heavier due to the electric motors. I don't know how heavy the KERS planned for the Valkyrie is but the Project One has four motors (one per wheel) to provide all wheel drive. Regardless, the Project One will be seriously quick. I don't doubt a 0-60 run south of 2.5 seconds.

Back