Mexican Car Culture in Forza Horizon 5

• Thread starter Lukanyon
  • 22 comments
Brazil
São Paulo
Corredor_Y
So I tried to search anything about car culture in Mexico and I could only find some articles about lowriders. Since Horizon 4 has brought many interesting British cars, how do you guys think Playground Games could incorporate some mexican features to FH5? What car models, modifications, events, would be relatable to the Mexican people?

They could bring back the VUHL 05RR (not to mention even the original, the VUHL 05) and the Mastretta... whatever it's called, to name a few important cars of Mexican culture.

There are some lowriders in Mexico, but most are around border towns and are largely from people who lived in California and went back to their hometown. I know Tijuana has (or maybe had) a lowrider club located there. I think the biggest issue is how much it costs to get aftermarket parts in Mexico. You more often than not need to get the stuff in the US and there's like a 30 or 40% import fee on them.

While not super common, there are still quite a few exotics in Mexico and some big-time collectors.

But if you want to see what normal car culture is like, you can check out this Instagram page:

It's really not that different than the US. You have sport compacts, muscle cars, euro tuners, and everything in between. VWs seem to be really common, but I think they also used to make many of them there so it kind of made sense.

I also know that off-roading can be popular in certain areas. When I had my Tacoma I often talked to other off-roaders south of the border.

and the Mastretta... whatever it's called
The MXT! I had forgotten about it!

images.jpeg.jpg

But if you want to see what normal car culture is like, you can check out this Instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/carculturemexico/?hl=en
Why do they put their speakers in the boot (trunk) where nobody can hear them instead of actually in the interior of the car? Is the idea to drive down the street with it open so they can startle or annoy everyone within earshot? 😕

Also, what happened to the old puzzled emoji? 😕 (Don't worry, I know this one.)

Last edited:
Why do they put their speakers in the boot (trunk) where nobody can hear them instead of actually in the interior of the car? Is the idea to drive down the street with it open so they can startle or annoy everyone within earshot? 😕
Usually the idea is to have a speaker system loud enough so that you can hear the music clearly even with all the doors and trunk closed. Bass-heavy music is preferred, as a good audio system will create bass so loud that you can hear parts of the car body rattle.

It was a very popular audio modification in the US Tuner scene during the late 90's-early to 2000's. It's not quite as popular now, but it's still somewhat commonplace in the current Donk/Bubble/Box scene, as well as some sections of the modified truck & SUV scene (think Midnight Club 3 style of truck customization). It somewhat exists hand-in-hand with rap music, with Masta Ace having what is imo one of the most ubiquitous songs:

Last edited:
Why do they put their speakers in the boot (trunk) where nobody can hear them instead of actually in the interior of the car? Is the idea to drive down the street with it open so they can startle or annoy everyone within earshot?
They do the same thing here in Brazil. And yes, that's the idea.

Unlikely Mexican car facts, today edition:
wikipedia
Rodríguez always traveled with a Mexican flag and a record of the national anthem because when he won the 1967 South African GP the organizers did not have the Mexican anthem, and instead played the Mexican hat dance.

Last edited:

Also, what happened to the old puzzled emoji? 😕 (Don't worry, I know this one.)
The short answer comes down to space and security. If you have a visible sound system, you have a much higher risk of your vehicle being broken into. When I had my Blazer back in the day my system was stolen in my parent's driveway. I learned after that and figured out how to mount my next system much better so even if someone broke into my vehicle they weren't going to be able to get it without some serious work.

The long answer takes acoustics into consideration. In a more sealed trunk, you're probably going to get an iffy sound, but for the most part, you can still hear it inside the cabin. I'm not an acoustical engineer so I can't give you all the science behind it, but essentially your subs need a bunch of air to reverberate and your trunk has that in spades. They can also use the trunk lid to deflect some of the sounds back into the cabin. To really make it sound good though, you need to have quality subs and a box with the appropriate volume and sealing on it. Most people, or at least people in the 90s and early 00s just wanted it loud, so they put two 15's in the trunk with the biggest, cheapest amp they could afford and let it bang.

Since I was a high schooler without a bunch of money, I opted to buy the biggest, cheapest stuff I could so I could be that guy in the school parking lot. I remember in my high school AP physics class, we used my truck for a demo when we did the section about sound. With a dB meter, the nerdiest dude in class sat in the driver's seat and I cranked the system. We hit nearly 120 dB, which is roughly the same as a huge boom of thunder.

Since I was a high schooler without a bunch of money, I opted to buy the biggest, cheapest stuff I could so I could be that guy in the school parking lot. I remember in my high school AP physics class, we used my truck for a demo when we did the section about sound. With a dB meter, the nerdiest dude in class sat in the driver's seat and I cranked the system. We hit nearly 120 dB, which is roughly the same as a huge boom of thunder.
This reminds me of when I started a new job in 1996 and brought a copy of King Tubby's dub of Horace Andy's "Money Money" into work and my boss immediately took a bunch of us and the CD out to the car park to test his sub. I guess some car culture is universal.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if La Carrera Panamericana plays a fairly visible role. Maybe a Horizon Stories that's a series of road racing sprints in cars that would have competed in or won the event in period (e.g. Porsche 550 Spyder, Hudson Hornet, new-to-Forza cars like the '52 300 SL prototype and a '52 or '53 Lincoln) with during-the-race voiceovers giving tidbits about that particular car and/or the history of the event.

Last edited:
Well I'm wondering if they'll ever add the Inferno exotic car. It may look hideous, but it has some serious horsepower (about 1,400hp), and is another example of Mexican-made automobiles besides the VUHL 05 series and the Mastretta MXT.

Indeed, sucess in the Carrera Panamericana prompted Ferrari to build the rare 340 Mexico. This should be a must barn find.

View attachment 1062092
I see your 340 Mexico and raise you the Lancia D24 that kicked its arse at the IV Carrera (and sounds absolutely diabolical). Or perhaps even the D25 that was built for the VI Carrera (that never happened)?

I also wouldn't say no to a Mercedes W194... Anti-vulture bars optional. Add in a smattering of American luxobarges (a popular option at the Carrera), keep in the various 4-pot Porsches, and you could run Panamericana recreations every Friday.

Speaking of Mexican cars, I'll cry a lot if we won't get a 3rd gen Ramcharger. I'll cry a little if we get the Ramcharger and no option to swap in a Hellcat.

Last edited:
Well I'm wondering if they'll ever add the Inferno exotic car. It may look hideous, but it has some serious horsepower (about 1,400hp), and is another example of Mexican-made automobiles besides the VUHL 05 series and the Mastretta MXT.
I do not think their car will be added.
As for the ugly old models...well they are unlikely to be added to the game.
And their new models will be much better than the old ones, at least they will look like common emerging brand hypercars.
But they don't appear to be producing that car yet.

Of course, the idea that only real world cars will appear in the Forza series is already old, but their models will probably never be added to the game.

And I'm skeptical about the Mastretta as well.
They seem to have gone bankrupt about 7 years ago. Unless the current owner of the rights to this brand is clear, I don't see their cars appearing in Forza.

Need Tsurus.

898ba88dd483f7a85088006554ca5243.jpg
I'm honestly hoping that if they add that to the game, they don't call it a Nissan Tsuru and instead call it what it really is: a Nissan Sentra. At least we still get the idea that it was popular around Mexico even as their taxi.

Last edited:
I'm honestly hoping that if they add that to the game, they don't call it a Nissan Tsuru and instead call it what it really is: a Nissan Sentra. At least we still get the idea that it was popular around Mexico even as their taxi.
That's what it's called in Mexico, and the game takes place in Mexico. Plus, this specific car generation was manufactured past the rest of the world's Sentra. So it makes sense to call it a Tsuru.

Last edited:
The Volkswagen Type 1 (Beetle) was mostly built in Mexico and was a hit there. So, considering that we've got one Beetle in Horizon 4, we'll most likely get more modifications that can make it resemble later versions of the Beetle (post-1963, or at least a facelift from the 70s)
View attachment 1073495
They’ve shown in the latest stream that their mission to introduce barn finds, centers around finding an old ‘Vocho’ so they’ve definitely done their homework. Now we can only hope PG put in options to make it a taxi

Latest Posts

Back