MH370: Malaysian Airlines Flight to Beijing carrying 239 people is lost over sea.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 1,507 comments
If the pictures and video coincides with the same article, then it's a load of crap, as they're the same ones already shown which was the flaperon..

It does say that those photos are archive photos of the Reunion debris, no pictures of the "new" piece sadly.

Australia have confirmed that debris found in Mozambique is highly likely to be from MH370. A new piece (apparently a RR logo from an engine nacelle) is being investigated. BBC.

Australia have confirmed that debris found in Mozambique is highly likely to be from MH370. A new piece (apparently a RR logo from an engine nacelle) is being investigated. BBC.

What's this the start of the 3rd year now?

Unless there is still a large piece of fuselage intact, they are never going to find this plane. If it is all smashed into pieces the size of what they've found so far, I doubt that it will show up on sonar.

I would have thought by now they would have had enough bits of debris wash up in different places to roughly triangulate the crash site by working out distances and currents.

I would have thought by now they would have had enough bits of debris wash up in different places to roughly triangulate the crash site by working out distances and currents.
They probably could, if they knew exactly when the pieces fell, and if most of that area was monitored.

Hopefully in the next 100-200 years we'll be able to figure it all out, and within the next 50-100 years, someone comes up with something to make me look the age I am now and live forever..

I very much doubt it. Look at this website - it is showing the current ocean currents (change the display by clicking on the bottom left). If you start at the northern tip of Madagascar and go backwards there are a lot of places you can end up, depending on which direction you pick when you get to converging currents. If you have enough time, you can get to Madagascar (or Mozambique) from pretty well anywhere in the Indian Ocean.
And if you are talking about calculating backwards, you had better account for prevailing winds and short term things such as storms.

More debris confirmed to be from MH370. BBC.

There's only about a year of the search remaining, according to that article, frankly I think the odds of finding the significantly-sized pieces are negligible.

And there are people complaining that they are 'just giving up'. They have spent 10's of millions of dollars over 2+ years. I think that is a fair effort.

The counter stands at €125 million. They can spend a billion and still find nothing.

The counter stands at €125 million. They can spend a billion and still find nothing.
That supports my point even more. If they haven't found anything by now, they won't unless there is a significant advance in technology and/or new info comes out of nowhere.

If they haven't found anything by now, they won't unless there is a significant advance in technology and/or new info comes out of nowhere.

That's not necessarily the case. There's also luck. That remains the primary factor in a search of this magnitude.

I think they have given it a fair go, it's being one of the most through searches for a plane in history. I don't think even finding the Titanic was given this much attention and funding and it took them 80 years! It's literally going to be pot luck one day when some fishing boat or research ship with sonar stumbles upon it.

An Australian investigation suggests that the aircraft's flaps were in the cruise position when the aircraft crashed. BBC.

While I feel for all the families affected by this tragedy, I also feel that the search has dragged on far to long,

While I feel for all the families affected by this tragedy, I also feel that the search has dragged on far to long,

I know what you mean but I also think that if it's at all possible we should try as hard as we can to find the main wreckage - not just for the peace of mind of the families (who will likely get very little back in the way of physical remains) but for that of future passengers and the industry. We still have no idea how or why this happened.

I know what you mean but I also think that if it's at all possible we should try as hard as we can to find the main wreckage - not just for the peace of mind of the families (who will likely get very little back in the way of physical remains) but for that of future passengers and the industry. We still have no idea how or why this happened.

Understood, but we have scientists working round the clock trying to understand how riding a bicycle actually works, sometimes after great expense things should be left as 'it just is' and move on,

And if any conspiracy theory is to be believed, as likely or unlikely as they may be, we may never actually find it,

And assuming your latest article is correct. Would their be a somewhat intact airplane carcass left to study? If the flaps are in 'cruise mode' that would leave one to assume the plane hit the water at speed, they aren't really designed to do that,

Understood, but we have scientists working round the clock trying to understand how riding a bicycle actually works, sometimes after great expense things should be left as 'it just is' and move on,

If someone uses their financial property to fund research then so be it... perhaps you're able to come up with an explanation that the physicists couldn't? You really should email them, good findings will be a genuine goldmine :)

And if any conspiracy theory is to be believed, as likely or unlikely as they may be, we may never actually find it

Correct, but even if all the conspiracy theories are entirely disbelieved we may never find it. That doesn't mean we shouldn't expend our best efforts in looking for it.

And assuming your latest article is correct. Would their be a somewhat intact airplane carcass left to study? If the flaps are in 'cruise mode' that would leave one to assume the plane hit the water at speed, they aren't really designed to do that,

No, but there is a precedent for a 330 that hit the water with cruise geometry (@ 108 kias, 16' nose up) that left some sizeable portions of fuselage in the debris field. Aside from the condition of debris in the field a priority would be searching for the FDRs, of course. Even with the main field located that wouldn't be easy, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back