Microsoft Confirms Project Scarlett: 4x More Powerful than Xbox One X, Releases Holiday 2020

Neither GT5 or GT6 run with 1920x1080 natively and the framerate dips below 60FPS rather often.
The two are actually has their own for each that problem.

GT5 didn't run at 1080p (it's 720p max) but rarely dips below 60 fps at gameplay. GT6 does run 1080p natively but does dips below 60 fps often.

@FoRiZon
1280x1080 is GT5's resolution. As for framerate....
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=3

This is off topic however. Companies will always state the highest possible resolution imo, but this has nothing to do with what resolution a game will be rendered in.

Yes, both PS5 and Scarlett will support 8K. But everyone hopeing for one let alone a few native 8K games is setting himself up for disappointment. There are not enough 8K TV out yet and we haven't even got a huge library of native 4K games yet.

A1539AFA-D816-4D0E-9BA7-38901855E4A6.jpeg
The display resolution can be 1080p, but we are talking about native rendering resolution here and most games weren't 1080p native last gen.
Neither GT5 or GT6 run with 1920x1080 natively and the framerate dips below 60FPS rather often on an consumer PS3.

Yea i cant remember how it ran on my consumer ps3. All i know is games like god of war 3 and gt5 ran so much better on a dev unit. Shes got a ton of miles from me working on it but she works still lol

227A95D8-9FDE-4838-AB18-0633D5485D36.jpeg
Yea i guess this is one of those forums where i gotta prove things. Date and time is wrong because i rarely use it anymore and for some reason i cant sign into psn on it anymore. Just my old work model for using at home when i was away from work. With xbox one and ps4, they dont require an in home “test” or “tool” unit to debug from home. As long as you have a correctly formatted disc.

Gt5 will run at native 1080p when forced to on a ps3 tool. You can go to settings on ps3 and force games to run full 1920?x1080p and choose the framerate, which i choose 60fps. The game runs fine. And if it dips below 60fps the screen will go black. Then again a ps3 tool has double the ram and i think (not sure) it has a little more under the hood on the gpu. Games like god of war 3 and gt5 run native 1080p on the tool but not on the consumer model. I never tried gt6 on my work unit

Last edited:
And if it dips below 60fps the screen will go black.

Imagine if that were the case on a consumer-level PS3 playing GT5. You'd almost always be driving blind...

Fun apples-to-oranges comparison, though, I guess.

I don't think we'll see an 8K/120fps game on the next generation of consoles. We know they're capable of some impressive numbers thanks to optimization (4K/60fps on XB1X in FM7 being an example), but that's a huge bar to jump. I actually question how many true 8K games we'll see at any frame rate.

My guess is that nearly everything will be 4K, either up-res'd or native. We'll still see a fair amount of 30fps titles (boo!) but 60fps will hopefully start becoming more common. I'm not sure how many 120fps games we can really expect: it's odd that MS would even focus on that since it seems it's abandoned VR.

Imagine if that were the case on a consumer-level PS3 playing GT5. You'd almost always be driving blind...

Fun apples-to-oranges comparison, though, I guess.

I don't think we'll see an 8K/120fps game on the next generation of consoles. We know they're capable of some impressive numbers thanks to optimization (4K/60fps on XB1X in FM7 being an example), but that's a huge bar to jump. I actually question how many true 8K games we'll see at any frame rate.

My guess is that nearly everything will be 4K, either up-res'd or native. We'll still see a fair amount of 30fps titles (boo!) but 60fps will hopefully start becoming more common. I'm not sure how many 120fps games we can really expect: it's odd that MS would even focus on that since it seems it's abandoned VR.

I work in the industry and i can tell you straight up, microsoft has not abandoned VR. We are still in the early stages of VR. On console and on pc. Yea we got nearly 4k Oculus. But believe me when i say, we are still in the very early stages of VR and in my opinion, console VR was started too early but I do love the PSVR

I'm glad I resisted the Xbox One X when this turned out to arrive relatively soon after. Forza has held up surprisingly well on the 2013 model.

X is good for playing Doom 4k native. And it does have an X patch for Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Project cars 2 runs alot better on it in my opinion, not sure what DF had to say about it though. If your playing 4k and want 60fps for multiplats its a must. But if you are casual gamer on 1080p still or dont care for native 4k over sony 1800p then you shouldnt waste your money on it if you aint gunna use it as much as most people. I also play my Pro more, HZD and GOW. But Gtsport is one of the best looking racing games ive ever seen in 4k (or whatever it achieves)

Look at Halo Infinite shown for Scarlet. And then look at Last of Us 2 shown last year for the ps4. Xbox next gen is still behind the ps4 in quality and graphics. Even Days Gone looks next gen on ps4 compared to Halo Infinite.

Look at Halo Infinite shown for Scarlet. And then look at Last of Us 2 shown last year for the ps4. Xbox next gen is still behind the ps4 in quality and graphics. Even Days Gone looks next gen on ps4 compared to Halo Infinite.
You have a devkit of a ps3 and even better, you also played Halo Infinite already on Scarlett? :sly:

You have a devkit of a ps3 and even better, you also played Halo Infinite already on Scarlett? :sly:

No but based off what was shown on ps4 last year compared to what was shown on Scarlett, Ps4 games still looks better then MS’s first shown Scarlett game. And with a Holiday 2020 release date, with my best educated guess. Halo is not going to look any better at release, just no way in that little time on Project Xcloud

No but based off what was shown on ps4 last year compared to what was shown on Scarlett, Ps4 games still looks better then MS’s first shown Scarlett game.
343 made a bad decision with this demo, because the scenery wasn't specular. Last year we saw better footage imo.

https://content.halocdn.com/media/D...entrings-a48356a9357749df8a6ec5df9d57e895.png

Still, the real time 60FPS footage did show us improvements in lightning, polygon count (every rounded objects are perfectly round), textures and the insane image quality. I've never seen a game on console this clean and sharp and this is an leap over something like Days Gone.

Add to that the native 4K resolution, 60FPS target and we have a demo that's not possible to run on current gen hardware imo.

Halo is not going to look any better at release, just no way in that little time on Project Xcloud
What has xCloud to do with any of this?

Last edited:
343 made a bad decision with this demo, because the scenery wasn't specular. Last year we saw better footage imo.

https://content.halocdn.com/media/D...entrings-a48356a9357749df8a6ec5df9d57e895.png

Still, the real time 60FPS footage did show us improvements in lightning, polygon count (every rounded objects are perfectly round), textures and the insane image quality. I've never seen a game on console this clean and sharp and this is an leap over something like Days Gone.

Add to that the native 4K resolution, 60FPS target and we have a demo that's not possible to run on current gen hardware imo.

What has xCloud to do with any of this?

Xcloud is the platform for Xbox next gen. All the games are made on the base unit (Anaconda, as we are told) and then built up to run as good as it can on Scarlett. Easier to add more to a more powerful unit then it is to take things away to run on anaconda. With as much work that is still probably needed for all their systems (Xcloud platform) and with 18 months or so till release, 12 months in reality to improve and continue working on the game. Its not going to look any better, then again halo isnt about its looks

I think you are getting things mixed up here...

Project Scarlett: official codename

Anaconda: rumoured high spec SDK
Lockhart: rumoured low end spec SDK

xCloud: Cloud service based on Xbox plates. Those were Xbox One S for the time being iirc.

Xcloud is the platform for Xbox next gen. All the games are made on the base unit (Anaconda, as we are told) and then built up to run as good as it can on Scarlett. Easier to add more to a more powerful unit then it is to take things away to run on anaconda. With as much work that is still probably needed for all their systems (Xcloud platform) and with 18 months or so till release, 12 months in reality to improve and continue working on the game. Its not going to look any better, then again halo isnt about its looks

My bad anaconda is scarlett and lockhart or whatever they call it is the base unit. Project scarlett is the whole xbox next gen platform not xcloud. Sorry got things mixed up, long day. On vacation lol

We are absolutely going to see 8K games but not until later on in its life cycle. Same thing happened with the PS3 (and most games consoles in general) when developers finally get to grips with eeking out every drop of power from it. Early in the life cycle - 720p games, late in the life cycle - 1080p games.

What I'm slightly concerned about is the only 4X at most jump over last generation in cpu power. I can imagine they are going to price the next generation like the last (i.e. affordable rather than 'expensive') which would again be disappointing because we might not see the generation bump we saw with the PS2>PS3 ever again. Unfortunately we don't live in a world anymore where an $800+ console can fly and as a result we are getting essentially a mid-range APU based gaming laptop in a box again.

Actually there were probably more native 1080p games on PS3 early in its life cycle than later. Of course graphics got a lot better, but early on, when dev's were still working with what were essentially PS2 game engines, it was much easier to get 1080p. Wipeout HD and Ridge Racer 7 are the best examples.

8k native res is just a huge waste of resources that should be better spent on creating much better graphical rendering techniques instead of brute forcing that many pixels. It’s also way overboard, 4K TVs haven’t even been widely adopted yet. If the AAA next gen games are going to tout 8k I have no doubt it will just be upscaled via checker boarding instead of native. Add in Ray-tracing and attempting native 8k is just nonsense.

At least we got confirmation there’s hardware acceleration for ray trace. Sony should have it too with any power differences between the two consoles being slight differences in clock speed or memory set up.

Not nearly as much of a waste as 120 fps would be. Even ignoring what TV's are on the market. Above 60 fps is completely unnecessary. 8k is as well but not as much of a pipe dream on console or a waste as 120 fps is.

Iam more interested in the graphical capabilities compared to the one x. I would like more information on how much of a difference i can expect ?

We have to wait for more information here. What we do know is that RDNA is a new more efficient architecture (1.25% more efficient iirc) and the console has HW Ray Tracing.

What can i say, ray tracing is awesome for racing games and makes the game more realistic graphically.

Ray Tracing and 60 fps in every game. While in shooters and adventures its not that much noticable, in racing games its gamechanger.

I disagree. Most objects are so far away from your viewpoint in a racing game that it really won't be as much of a game changer unless you use cockpit view. Which I do personally, but even then, I don't look at the cockpit much while racing but while in an FPS for example, I'm constantly looking at the type of scenes and objects that benefit from realistic lighting.

Ray tracing will make a huge difference to day to night cycles though. In most games, there's a distinct reduction in lighting quality and especially shadow quality with a day to night cycle but with ray tracing, the difference shouldn't be as large. There might be none at all some day.

Ray tracing will make a huge difference to day to night cycles
Raytracing adds real realtime reflections, which imposible with current rendering tech. Most of the time in racing games you look at reflecting surfaces. Other thing is working mirrors in games like Need for speed or Crew.

120 fps is definitely worth more to me than yet more resolution.

I'll take 1440p 120 Hz full HDR thanks. Any leftover horsepower can be used to anti alias the shaders by supersampling them.

Wish I'd made the jump to high refresh earlier, such a game changer for action games, and even basic UI operations are more crisp and responsive.

Latest Posts

Back