Microtransactions Have Arrived in Gran Turismo Sport

Hmmm, I'm not too sure about this. Especially with the climate regarding microtransactions these days.

While I do feel that the MT limit should be the other way around (2mil cr. upwards, because it's fairly easy to grind for credits), this would make the game look like it's locking the handful of super-exclusive cars behind a super-high paywall.

I dunno, as long as the prize credits remain as-is and not be reduced down to like what GT6 was, and you get to purchase cars directly as-is and not through some cringey lootbox system, I guess I'll be fine with this.

Strange timing, considering that T10 just announced the impending removal of loot boxes from the Forza series.
But this is not loot boxes is it, this feature is for people that don't want or don't have time to grind for in-game credits, it's not exlusive cars you can't get in the game, you can't even buy the 15/20 mill cars for real money, some will maybe say that PD should remove the grind instead, but grinding is what makes GT a GT game and I like to grind, so I think this is a good option for those who dosen't want to grind, so I don't see the problem with this and if we don't want it we can hide this option which I did.

Like I've said it on Twitter :

"In another perspective, with the money they gain with these microtransactions, they could build/make more cars. We got over +30 cars for free since the GTsport game is out. So, why shouldn't they?

Good move PD @Kaz_Yamauchi"

In addition to my tweet, it doesn't matter if the cars are worth two milion credits or just N cars like the Copen for around 30k. In fact I think a N car like the Copen or maybe the VW Beetle '66 we had in GT6 is much harder to make it a car good enough for GTsport, compared to the modern sportscars that already drawn in 3D and data could be used/converted to a compatible 3D model for GTsport.

Maybe I'm weird or thinking the other way round, but buying a car should/could be a kind of resource for PD what their players want. From my own perspective, I could buy the Toyota S-FR concept, the Honda S660 and Alfa 4C road car, that could be an indication for PD for more lightweight sportscars, I miss Lotus in GTsport for example and with these kind of sells they know for the better what to make/build next. And this isn't only for GTsport I guess, these kind of resources, like the updated livery editor as well, is what we could aspect next in GT7.

Like on so many levels, not only in gaming but also reading comments at Kickstarter for example, people are mostly thinking for their own, everything needs to be free or cheap.. But it won't help a company like PD to stand out, these kind of microtransactions are a clever way for research and development + you don't have to buy it, you could buy it. One pack of sigarettes less this month and a car extra in your garage..

Although I already own the cars I named here, I guess I would buy my first Alfa 4C today :sly:

If the 20 million cars were available to buy with real money people would be way more triggered "OH SO THE IN GAME PRICE IS SKY HIGH SO PEOPLE HAVE NO OPTION OTHER THAN PAY REAL MONEY YOU GREEDY PEOPLE"

This is about the most trivial way imaginable to implement micro-transactions and it comes off the back of another FREE update containing FREE cars, FREE tracks and FREE features.... and still people complain. It's entirely optional, offers little practical benefit, and yet people are petitioning it to be removed. The entitlement is strong!

Microtransactions is a bad word in gamer circles,every discussion gets derailed when the M word appears,people comparing GTS system to GTA 5 are being disingenuous,GTA 5 forces you to buy a 1 million garage so you can put your 30 million car and the thing costs more 20 million to upgrade all parts and the real world prices are way more expensive than what PD is offering for their game,but ya know nuance be damned.

Let us, or shoud I say make us earn them. do not dit away for a buck or two. We already paid $70usd for the gme and were promised no ticky tack crap. they are liars.

this is very sad, I think only high Priced cars should be here, as you have to grind to get a million, more high price races PD.

Don’t agree.. they should be really rare and hard to get.
rare yes hard to get, well Sony have said the PS4 is in the end if its life cycle, dont you want most people to pdrive the 250 GTO, GT40 MkIV, 330 P3 to take photos with in scapes etc rather than only see it whileracign it by chance or in online lobbies.

Harder races with bigger payouts please, not just grinding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capped at 2 million and economy has stayed the same.....basically this means very little.

Considering the amount of free DLC we have gotten I don't even mind

People saying high priced cars should be there don't get it. They are high priced because PD wants them to be rare. Allowing MS for them would ruin rarity and make it seem like PD made them so expensive so people would pay money.

Cap is a bit low though. 2 million can be gotten quite quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see how this is a problem. NONE of the content is microtransaction exclusive. And it lets someone without tons of time to grind devote all their in game earnings to the over 20 mil cars. Prices are very reasonable. If this bothers you then youre just looking to whine about something.

Way I see it is that PD are classing cars costing over 2million as being collectible so you have to earn them in game abd not just be able to cough up a fiver for a 250 GTO.

Its hardly like these microtransactions are a form of pay to win.

You should consider it was a AAA game for fullprice with lack of content
But you also need to consider that a lot of people didn't buy the game at full price though and PD do need to generate funds for the ongoing development. I think it is interesting that it has come in now that GT Sport really is in a place that it has a good level of content and not earlier.

PD's support for this game has been great, I'm fully against loot boxes and video game gambling but this system is really fair. Anyone up in arms is being childish and entitled, the expensive cars are still only available through grinding and this new system helps people who have life factors that demand their time more than grinding round blue moon speedway for the thousandths time.

I've been against micro transactions in games before, but this a fairly priced, well executed system. GT sport as a game is good buy at its current price and in my opinion, the current content would be well worth the original price.

I think some people here need to sit back and really assess whether this is an issue or not. To me the clear answer is that it isn't :cheers:

rare yes hard to get, well Sony have said the PS4 is in the end if its life cycle, dont you want most people to pdrive the 250 GTO, GT40 MkIV, 330 P3 to take photos with in scapes etc rather than only see it whileracign it by chance or in online lobbies.

Harder races with bigger payouts please, not just grinding.
What's the PS4 life cycle have to do with the game's car' acquisition?

Hmmm, I'm not too sure about this. Especially with the climate regarding microtransactions these days.

While I do feel that the MT limit should be the other way around (2mil cr. upwards, because it's fairly easy to grind for credits), this would make the game look like it's locking the handful of super-exclusive cars behind a super-high paywall.

I dunno, as long as the prize credits remain as-is and not be reduced down to like what GT6 was, and you get to purchase cars directly as-is and not through some cringey lootbox system, I guess I'll be fine with this.

The climate regarding MicroTransactions is hot as hell, take a look at GTA5 "$6 billion in revenue" and Red Dead Redemption 2 clearly going the same way from the get go. And what about Fortnite, $2billion this year.

The thing that is dying, thanks to EU among others, is ingame gambling. Where you spend real money and get random items with no guarantee of getting something you want or need.

that's why people grind out rubberband stuff.
that's why i call it a video game, a good one, but still it is NOT a simulator.

edit: keep dreaminng. its mario kart step up. glad to see a new track though

Polyphony can't keep working on updates and get all the funding to pay their employees by simply hoping the game keeps selling a lot.
I personally see this as their attempt at making some money on the side, they deserve some cash in my opinion due to their hard work on the updates.

That being said, make money grinding shorter, if I want to buy the 20mil cars, I will either have to hope RNG is on my side with daily gifts, or grind for about 20-40hrs, making money in this game is a nightmare.

But you also need to consider that a lot of people didn't buy the game at full price though and PD do need to generate funds for the ongoing development. I think it is interesting that it has come in now that GT Sport really is in a place that it has a good level of content and not earlier.

PD's support for this game has been great, I'm fully against loot boxes and video game gambling but this system is really fair. Anyone up in arms is being childish and entitled, the expensive cars are still only available through grinding and this new system helps people who have life factors that demand their time more than grinding round blue moon speedway for the thousandths time.

I've been against micro transactions in games before, but this a fairly priced, well executed system. GT sport as a game is good buy at its current price and in my opinion, the current content would be well worth the original price.

I think some people here need to sit back and really assess whether this is an issue or not. To me the clear answer is that it isn't :cheers:
This does not cancel the fact that the game is worth $ 60, except times when it on sale. The game is EMPTY compared to other GT games, its even worse than gt5 prologue, so i dont see a great game support from PD, there is still lack of real tracks and real cars, no weather effects or day/night-cycle, but now PD add AVATAR CUSTOMIZATION, SO GREAT FEATURE and MICROTRANSACTIONS. This features costs time to develop, so i cant find any reason why this features more important then making real game content.

I dont understand why you can’t purchase the 20 million credit cars. I personally don’t like the rubber band on a oval crap. If that’s your idea of “grinding” you’re really just using a inefficient cheat code... I think they should add a feature where mileage points aren’t given if your vehicle is touching a wall. If you can’t buy the cars you should have to earn.

Before release and after.

Seriously?
Thats like, if I told my customer he had to pay me more if he wants me to keep working on his product.
We didnt agreed on it first, but I changed my view, so bad luck for him!? Nah man, thats how you loose customers...

PD had a price tag for its game, if they decide to sell their game for 10 bucks now, its their problem. Now they make it ours by letting us pay for cars? No thanks.
If they would just involve their community a bit more and dont just change things noone asked for, they may had a bigger community and playerbase by now, so Microtransactions wouldnt even needed. But they keep on doing their antisocial thing and force things on us we dont need or want.

Polyphony's downside is that it's mostly a Japanese studio, they have built an ego over-time and are behaving kind of like a big car company, they don't usually communicate with fans.

I have to retract what I said as I have just found they clearly said game will not have micro transactions, lying to customers is a no-no.

Polyphony can't keep working on updates and get all the funding to pay their employees by simply hoping the game keeps selling a lot.
I personally see this as their attempt at making some money on the side, they deserve some cash in my opinion due to their hard work on the updates.

That being said, make money grinding shorter, if I want to buy the 20mil cars, I will either have to hope RNG is on my side with daily gifts, or grind for about 20-40hrs, making money in this game is a nightmare.

Seriously?
Thats like, if I told my customer he had to pay me more if he wants me to keep working on his product.
We didnt agreed on it first, but I changed my view, so bad luck for him!? Nah man, thats how you loose customers...

PD had a price tag for its game. If they decide to sell their game for 10 bucks now, its their problem. Now they make it ours by letting us pay for cars? No thanks.
If they would just involve their community a bit more and dont just change things noone asked for, they may had a bigger community and playerbase by now, so Microtransactions wouldnt even be needed. But they keep on doing their antisocial thing and force things on us we dont need or want.

I was hoping we could sell dublicat cars at some point, to get the more pricey ones without an absurd amount of grinding. But with microtransactions? Not cool...
I'm ok with people wanting to spent some money to support PD, but this is certainly the wrong way...

If you have to implement MT's to buy cars in game then there is a serious design flaw with the game structure. If there is no flaw in the game design structer and there are MT's, it is because it was deliberately deigned poorly. This is why MT's of this nature are cancer to the gaming industry.

Is it even greed? They haven't add any paid DLC in the game. I think this is the only way they can earn revenue back without forcing people to pay for DLC packs. It still is business after all.
You expected them to charge for DLC in first party AAA game that was basically a console launch title 4 years into the consoles life cycle? A game that launched with one (or was it two) real world circuit? it may be DLC but in reality it was stuff being added to an early access game that was called a full game. People seam to forget that.

Last edited:
Like I've said it on Twitter :

Like on so many levels, not only in gaming but also reading comments at Kickstarter for example, people are mostly thinking for their own, everything needs to be free or cheap.. But it won't help a company like PD to stand out, these kind of microtransactions are a clever way for research and development

I think 'clever' is giving PD a little too much credit here. Like so much of the games features, the implementation is clunky and clumsy.

People would be less critical of the microtransactions if there was a full game's worth of content to start with. There isn't.

I'm not good with this since it does pose a slippery slope. If these work out well enough, who's to say that more microtransactions won't come to the game?

There's also the backlash microtransactions cause. Even if they don't change gameplay at all, I think a vast majority of gamers don't want them in any game aside from free-to-play ones. Just take a look at the number of games now pulling microtransactions out due to the anger it conjures up. Although it's funny, I'm guessing many of the same people who are ok with this are the same ones who ran FM7 through the wringer for "loot boxes" containing no actual game enhancements.

A way better approach would be to release paid DLC packs of cars or tracks. I get they want to give us content for free, and that's excellent, but I don't think people would really mind dropping $4.99 on a car pack if it contained some cool rides. Or do like FM7 is doing and give away a couple free cars along with a paid DLC pack. That way you get the best of both worlds. Or do an MMO model where you pay a monthly fee (although I'm not sure how I'd feel about that) since it's getting clearer that GT will be more of a service than a new game every couple of years.

The game is EMPTY compared to other GT games, its even worse than gt5 prologue

Really?

Skärmbild (736).png

This is about the most trivial way imaginable to implement micro-transactions and it comes off the back of another FREE update containing FREE cars, FREE tracks and FREE features.... and still people complain. It's entirely optional, offers little practical benefit, and yet people are petitioning it to be removed. The entitlement is strong!
Why not just put a key on store, free or just charge £1 that unlocks every car (cars that you have already paid for) and paint for people like me who only find the livery editor enjoyable and don't want to grind themselves to boredom? is that not possible to do?

I don't play this game much because I don't want to grind, it is boring as hell. i'd be less bored if I could just play without grinding for the car I want. Charging real money for items in game is a deplorable practice. One which wouldn't be needed with a good game design

The only plus side with this is that PDI haven't gonna with the disgusting practice of game of chance like rocket league and Battlefron 2, i.e offering gambling without a gambling licence.

Although it's funny, I'm guessing many of the same people who are ok with this are the same ones who ran FM7 through the wringer for "loot boxes" containing no actual game enhancements.

What do you base that guess on?

It's still ********. GTA 5 has microtransactions as well,the community didn't like it at all because you need to grind to buy stuff and this will be the same. Adding this stuff later is even worse than having it from the start, so subtle. Do you think that it's a coincidence that they are adding 2.000.000 millions cars to the game?
You can still grind if you want. No one is stopping you. This doesn't affect you at all

If you have to implement MT's to buy cars in game then there is a serious design flaw with the game structure. If there is no flaw in the game design structer and there are MT's, it is because it was deliberately deigned poorly. This is why MT's of this nature are cancer to the gaming industry.

You expected them to charge for DLC in first party AAA game that was basically a console launch title 4 years into the consoles life cycle? A game that launched with one (or was it two) real world circuit? it may be DLC but in reality it was stuff being added to an early access game that was called a full game. People seam to forget that.
Why does it matter if it is first party and released late into console life cycle? Do you honestly think licenses, capturing sound, travelling to photograph cars don't have any cost?
Game as a service isn't the same as early access. Seriously why some people here like to exaggerate things just to prove their point

Back