MidnightRun's ride: BMW Z4 3.0si Sport E86 - NOT BROKEN!

United Kingdom
Druids Bend
Z4E_Midnight85
Hey guys,

I've been quiet for a while, but I've recently taken delivery of this gem:
IMG_20180707_144110865.jpg
IMG_20180610_162843030.jpg

Since these photos were taken, I've bought a new set of Veemann V-FS33 wheels in 19x8.5/19x9.5 fitment, which are set to be fitted soon. I've also ordered a set of BC Racing BR coilovers, which are on their way.

Other little mods and tweaks include fitting a stubby aerial, a ZHP-style gearknob from an M coupe, and replacing the wipers with aerotwins.

I'll get some photos up once the new wheels and suspension is all fitted.

So I need a bit of help deciding what car I should replace my current daily driver with. I have a low-mileage Volvo C30 (2.0 petrol) which is lovely to drive but getting too small to use as a family car with the wife, newborn and our dog, plus it's not really that useful for tip runs, loading with furniture and generic stuff, etc. So we're going to be selling the Volvo, as well as my wife's VW Golf, and buying a small SUV between the two of us (that'll be either a BMW X1 or a VW Tiguan, decision TBC by my better half...). But I'll still want to have a daily commuter, instead of punishing the Z4 over the winter and on the awful roads I have to commute on.

So... I have a few ideas, some of them quite insane, some just a bit boring. But I'd like some opinions and feedback if anyone's got anything to add to the decision-making process! My budget is <£5k, but ideally below £3k so I've still got money in the bank for the zed.

Sensible options:

• 2008-2012 Volvo V50 - a reliable diesel wagon that should be good for many miles and will be like jumping in a bigger version of the same car; hard to find one that isn't really high mileage without paying a fairly hefty premium.
  • 2006-2010 Lexus IS 220D - Toyota reliability with a touch of luxury; not as practical as a wagon, plenty of rear seat space.
  • 2005-2012 BMW 320d Touring - I've had one, and it was great to drive, but it was plagued with gemlins.
  • 2010-2014 Volvo S60 - similar to the V50 but more modern styling and engines, 4-door so not as practical.
  • 2009-2014 Toyota Avensis - reliable and practical (would be a wagon) but not exactly exciting or much to look at.
Slightly mad options:

• 2010-2014 Toyota Prius - obvious for reliability and economy; would have to be lowered on bigger wheels and tinted/debadged to improve looks; expensive for what they offer and hard to find one that's done under 150k miles.
  • 2012-2014 Nissan Leaf - again, ugly as sin but great for economy and more practical than the C30; reliable at high mileage? Would again need some cosmetic mods to make it even remotely stomachable.
  • 2003-2005 Audi RS4 Avant - practical and rapid; very expensive to tax and run on a daily basis; pretty old now.
Thoughts? Comments? Opinions? Hatemail?

E91 330i, much more reliable than any of the diesel E90s and can get 30-35mpg on a run.

I'm not saying the RS4 would be a bad call, but how much of a money sink would it be?

If it's too much then I'd go Avensis or IS220 D.
Put it this way, I'll be covering approx. 9k miles a year. The tax on the S4 is £600 and they get about 20mpg on a combined run.

It'll cost more than double what the IS 220D or Avensis would, at £210 tax and 50mpg...

E91 330i, much more reliable than any of the diesel E90s and can get 30-35mpg on a run.
I thought about that, but I've already got a 3L BMW on my driveway and it's not cheap to run or maintain... They do look very nice and they're lovely to drive though.

I had a look at the second hand market again yesterday and found a decent Avensis wagon, 2.2 diesel, high spec and within budget. It's looking like my most viable option at the moment.

E91's seem to be pretty expensive at the moment (I can't find anything near the value I sold mine for last year without nearly doubling the mileage!), V50's are hard to come by with a decent spec, and IS 220D's are potentially too small to be practical enough.

Still dreaming of owning an S4 or RS4 though. Maybe when I come into money...

I had a 2010 Avensis, a 2.0 diesel T4 model.

Watch out for the electronic handbrake on them, the control unit can take on water and it will suddenly stop working like mine did (luckily under warranty). A replacement is about £600-£800 as it has to be fitted by Toyota in order to be coded to the car correctly. I believe more recent models reverted to a manual handbrake instead.

They also have a tendency to develop a loud knock from the front lower suspension arm, this is caused by a bolt that will come loose over time as it was either too weak or wasn't tightened enough from the factory. Toyota have since provided a modified part (91554-L1690) to replace them and updated torque specs (214NM) for these as part of a service bulletin.

Besides those 2 things mine never missed a beat. It was super comfortable and was loaded with equipment that all worked flawlessly, was a nice relaxing drive on any sort of road, and didn't seem affected by the cold like some diesels can be. I only managed 43mpg but that's likely due to me having a heavy right foot.

If I were to have another one it would be a 2.2 diesel estate but with a manual handbrake!

Last edited:
I had a 2010 Avensis, a 2.0 diesel T4 model.

Watch out for the electronic handbrake on them, the control unit can take on water and it will suddenly stop working like mine did (luckily under warranty). A replacement is about £600-£800 as it has to be fitted by Toyota in order to be coded to the car correctly. I believe more recent models reverted to a manual handbrake instead.

They also have a tendency to develop a loud knock from the front lower suspension arm, this is caused by a bolt that will come loose over time as it was either too weak or wasn't tightened enough from the factory. Toyota have since provided a modified part (91554-L1690) to replace them and updated torque specs (214NM) for these as part of a service bulletin.

Besides those 2 things mine never missed a beat. It was super comfortable and was loaded with equipment that all worked flawlessly, was a nice relaxing drive on any sort of road, and didn't seem affected by the cold like some diesels can be. I only managed 43mpg but that's likely due to me having a heavy right foot.

If I were to have another one it would be a 2.2 diesel estate but with a manual handbrake!
I've found a 2010 2.2D T-Spirit for sale at the moment, in my budget range. 107k miles, blue, all the bits, but electronic handbrake. I might take the risk though, hopefully it's been looked after and won't be an issue. It's also long enough after build for it to have had that bolt replaced (I would hope).

Thanks for the feedback!

This is the listing for the Avensis I mentioned above. Any comments, criticisms, warnings, greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I've found a 2010 2.2D T-Spirit for sale at the moment, in my budget range. 107k miles, blue, all the bits, but electronic handbrake. I might take the risk though, hopefully it's been looked after and won't be an issue. It's also long enough after build for it to have had that bolt replaced (I would hope).

Thanks for the feedback!

This is the listing for the Avensis I mentioned above. Any comments, criticisms, warnings, greatly appreciated.
I imagine the parking brake actuator would have been replaced already with that many miles on the clock - mine failed at 60,000 miles. Unfortunately unless it has it shown somewhere in the history there's no way to tell if it's in good condition or not as even the most well looked after cars suffer with it.

That said if you do need to replace it Toyota do at least give you a good warranty on the part. You can also technically drive without it until MOT time as it still engages when you turn the engine off and disengages when you go to move off.

Last edited:
No update on the daily driver yet, but likely to swap the C30 for a V60. I like the build quality and reliability and they just look better on the road than an Avensis...

In other news, here's my most-liked pic of 2021 of the Zed:

IMG_20210619_122948_668.jpg

Plans for the Zed for 2022 are:
  • Replace rear trailing arm bushes with Powerflex polyurethane bushes.
  • Have front end resprayed and smooth over plate holes, headlight washer jets, and side front reflectors.
  • Likewise gearknob.
  • And get to some more car meets and cruises!
Plans for the V60, when I get it, are:
  • Good overall service and health check
  • 18in Jaguar Vela wheels with some decent rubber.
  • Eibach pro springs.
  • Remap (should be good for 240hp).

Plans for the V60, when I get it, are:
  • Good overall service and health check
  • 18in Jaguar Vela wheels with some decent rubber.
  • Eibach pro springs.
  • Remap (should be good for 240hp).
What year V60?

You'll need to be careful with the wheels. While Jags have a 5x108 bolt pattern the bore size can be different. Also, you'll need to see what sort of lugs the V60 is using and what kind the Jag uses. It drove me nut with getting wheels for S60 since the hub bore is a weird size and finding rings was a pain and the lugs needed to be flat instead of conical.

Also, what remap are you looking at? There are some really awful ones on the market. The Polestar would be the safest bet, but Heico and Hilton are good, albeit expensive. Depending on the year, you'll need to look at the transmission specs too. While it will likely be able to handle the power, it might not be able to handle the torque.

What year V60?

You'll need to be careful with the wheels. While Jags have a 5x108 bolt pattern the bore size can be different. Also, you'll need to see what sort of lugs the V60 is using and what kind the Jag uses. It drove me nut with getting wheels for S60 since the hub bore is a weird size and finding rings was a pain and the lugs needed to be flat instead of conical.

Also, what remap are you looking at? There are some really awful ones on the market. The Polestar would be the safest bet, but Heico and Hilton are good, albeit expensive. Depending on the year, you'll need to look at the transmission specs too. While it will likely be able to handle the power, it might not be able to handle the torque.
I was thinking a 2010-14 V60, D5, manual. The wheels I like are on Jag XFs. I thought I'd checked the specs and these match up but I'll check again, thanks for the tip!

Regarding remaps, I was just working off numbers from the Celtic Tuning site. I haven't chosen a specific map or supplier yet but will do once I've got it in good health. I'll keep in mind the brands you've suggested. How expensive are they?

What year V60?

I just had another look and I was mixing up the specs with my C30. The Jag XF wheels match the C30 spec, but they bumped the nuts size up to M14 for the V60. Range Rover Evoque wheels will fit, might try some of theirs out.

I was thinking a 2010-14 V60, D5, manual. The wheels I like are on Jag XFs. I thought I'd checked the specs and these match up but I'll check again, thanks for the tip!

Regarding remaps, I was just working off numbers from the Celtic Tuning site. I haven't chosen a specific map or supplier yet but will do once I've got it in good health. I'll keep in mind the brands you've suggested. How expensive are they?
Looks like the Heico one is €1,420 and boosts the D5 from 220hp to 247hp and the torque gets an increase from 347lbft to 390lbft. We never got the diesel Volvos in the US though so I'm not sure how good the tune is or not. Hilton has the D-series engines on their website, but they don't offer any options. I know the standard tune though is like $1,200 or probably right around £950.

Looks like the Heico one is €1,420 and boosts the D5 from 220hp to 247hp and the torque gets an increase from 347lbft to 390lbft. We never got the diesel Volvos in the US though so I'm not sure how good the tune is or not. Hilton has the D-series engines on their website, but they don't offer any options. I know the standard tune though is like $1,200 or probably right around £950.
Wow, that's about three times the price I had anticipated! I'll probably talk to some local companies, and I have a friend who works for Volvo so I'll chat to him too. Must be some safe options that don't cost the earth kicking about somewhere. Maybe without the brand name but with the same spec.

So I finally took the plunge and bought a new daily. Took me a while to work out what I wanted and what represented the best value for money, and in the end I went for a 2014 Mazda 6 Tourer. It's a 2.2D Sport Nav model with all the top end spec details I was hoping for, in Jet Black Mica.

received_4927560457338833.jpeg

It needs a good thorough clean and a couple of niggles need attention, but I'm very happy with my purchase!

Now I need to clean up my Volvo and get that sold...

I was looking at them till I got the Skoda, have you done your research on the engine As a few things put me off.

Mainly with the DPF not warning when it’s clogged and diesel getting in to the oil.

Other than that I loved the look and the space and how it drove. More power than my 1.6 TDI Octy.

Last edited:
Back