Milestone Announces MotoGP 17; Arriving This Summer to PS4, XB1 & PC

Normally I would be thrilled that a new racing game and especially that a motorcycle racing game is getting a release.
But, as this is a Milestone title I have only contempt for the new Motogp game. Not even the camera angle they show seems to be anywhere realistic. What, is the rider a dwarf stuck with his beard some where so that he cant look over the front fairing?

Last edited:
I really like how Milestone make these MotoGP games, having the support categories and historic bikes, imagine if F1 games were made like that! They're not simulators but do they really need to be they're just good fun. It would be nice if the visuals were slightly better though.

I have been wanting a MotoGP game for a couple of years now. I use to have one I played on the PS2 and it was a real gem. Cannot remember what it was called but I loved it. I want that feeling back again!

I have been wanting a MotoGP game for a couple of years now. I use to have one I played on the PS2 and it was a real gem. Cannot remember what it was called but I loved it. I want that feeling back again!
Same here. Other than Tourist Trophy, I can't remember the MotoGP year, it I like that game. This certainly caught my attention. I'll wait for a review though.

No need to wait for a review I'll do so right now.
  1. Bikes physics that aren't like actual bikes
  2. Dumbest AI in a racing game might as well just make all the single player "racing" time trails because the AI races each other and don't respond to the players presence
  3. DLC will be the same DLC that was the last sold for the last 3 MotoGP games. Won't be included and you'll have to buy it again
  4. Horrible sound
  5. Horrible game design - poor career mode design, poor menu layout, insanely long load times, lame customization options (bike setup)
  6. Outdated graphics
Milestone has been making bike games for almost 20 years now and they haven't improved since their first couple games back in 99/00 . You either just accept they are the only option for bike games and deal with it or drive yourself crazy trying to figure out why they can't make a decent bike game, for bike fans. Keep praying for Tourist Trophy 2, bikes in GT Sport, or that one of the developers of Project Cars, Forza or Codemasters will make a bike game. Everytime I buy a Milestone game I buy a controller and I only play the game until I throw that controller. The last couple didn't make it past an hour. They are just terrible.

Unfortunately @RZ05 is right. Milestone have a complete monopoly of the Motorbike racing genre so they don't seem to have any motivation to improve their games. The last 3 Moto GP games I've had were 2014, 2009/10 (not Milestone) and 2008; the first and last of which were nearly identical physics wise and very similar to the WSB games Milestone were making then. The article states a new engine will be used for next year's game so I can't see this year being any different, hopefully 2018 will bring a long overdue improvement.

The Criticism for Milestone not improving their Games is ridiculous. Ride 1 was really bad. But Ride 2 is pretty good, and it features Macau, a Track Car Racing Game Developers dont seem to bother putting into their Games.

It also features alot of other Tracks you dont see in other Games.

And Moto GP 16 aka Valentino Rossi the Game had more features and Content than MotoGP 15.

Yes, Milestone does release alot of sequels with no massive changes, but that goes for all annual releases.

The Criticism for Milestone not improving their Games is ridiculous. Ride 1 was really bad. But Ride 2 is pretty good, and it features Macau, a Track Car Racing Game Developers dont seem to bother putting into their Games.

It also features alot of other Tracks you dont see in other Games.

And Moto GP 16 aka Valentino Rossi the Game had more features and Content than MotoGP 15.

The content list was much improved... sadly the handling wasn't or many of the other points addressed by @RZ05.

Also... the article linked in OP reads like a Year 6 English-as-a-foreign-language assignment... there must be a better article to use?

I'd put money on this being another rinse and repeat job from Milestone. It's like the FIFA of bike racing.

GP500 is still the GOAT GP game.

didn't want to get drawn into a point by point because it doesn't help but oh well :) I stand by my Milestone doesn't put effort comment and it's simply because they don't have competition. I have purchased every bike game they have made do despite knowing I'll be disappointed.

but lets look at Ride cause it's a perfect example. Why isn't all of the DLC from the first game standard content in the sequel? Why do I have to buy the R7 and some of the other bikes again? Speaking of which why is the R7 model so bad (look at the tail) when they had it right way back with SBK 2000/2001? It's stuff like that that they constantly do.

One of the biggest problems with every Milestone bike game has been that the handling is really bad. Far to slow in the side to side transitions far to much under-steer and the braking is way off. Given that why would you make that a focus of your game be adding tight tracks that just serve to highlight the bad handling of the bikes. These are motorcycles not semi-trucks but you'd never know by the handling

The bikes have a weight problem. What's with pogo stick crap. I've been riding over 17yrs 15 or which has mostly been spent on the track and I've never had my bikes bounce like that. The AI is just as bad as in Ride but at least you can wipe them out this time around.

Game design wise Ride 2 is basically Ride slightly refined with "more" content but the basic design of the game is the same and it's disappointing if you just want to pick your bike and do a series of races. I have no desire to race electric bikes, or the antique bikes or the real small displacement bikes but you've got no choice since the game is so locked and you have to spend hours on hour to get what you really want. For me it's not enough to go through it not is the reward worth it.

I don't mind annual updates and with their background catalog of bikes and tracks just adding those would be fine for me. But I'm not the customer Milestone is after. They are trying to crossover to people who aren't interested and in doing so have turned off a vast majority of what use to be their core base. The problem isn't their engine. It's their thought process with game design and using the Unreal Engine isn't going to help that. And speaking of which just saw video of the MXGP3 and even with the Unreal Engine the audio is still bad

Look at how far Car racers have evolved over the past few years and then compare that to Milestones games. Not trying to hate on them just stating the facts. I wish they'd get it together because I really want a bike game like GT, Project Cars, Dirt Rally, Forza, etc..... Instead with get DriveClub Bikes (not Milestone I know) and are supposed to be happy about that?

Bad audio, bad game design bad bike physics. So yeah I'll buy it but not expecting much. It's sad because their games are easily fixed if they'd stop half assing stuff. Admittedly I'm not a drag racing fan but those races in Ride are beyond lane! If the bikes handled better Macau and the Ring would be awesome but as it is they are nothing but dred to me and I have more fun playing SBK 2000/2001 and PS2 Tourist Trophy.

I'd put money on this being another rinse and repeat job from Milestone. It's like the FIFA of bike racing.

GP500 is still the GOAT GP game.

GP500 and SBK2001 are the absolute best. There is an old video of a mod someone did with the Kawi or Suzuki and the audio was just INSANE!!! so if a hobbyist can get almost lifelike bike sound how come Milestone can't? and when those same hobbyist can tweak the physics so they are almost realistic again you have to ask what's up Milestone? And when I saw realistic I'm not talking hard. Riding a bike is easy. Riding it at Stoner levels that's another story. But I don't want a bike game where the bikes handle like cars! If they nailed the physics and had a decent clean efficient game layout I'd gladly take annual updates that only consisted of updated tracks and rosters. Either you like racing or you don't so focusing all these little side modes is pointless if people don't like racing.

Also it's funny it's only taken them 17 years to finally update the finish line at Monza!!!!! lol that thing got changed way back in 1999 and up until Ride 2 they had the finish line way up that back straight by the start line. Great attention to detail there! lol

In Forza its the same. And i might be wrong but in PCars its the same.

So i guess some devs just use the Start Line as the finish line. In Assetto its at the front of the straight
Also it's funny it's only taken them 17 years to finally update the finish line at Monza!!!!!

You know it might depend on the actual race series that determines where that line is. I recall in SBK it was jokingly (or not) said to have been moved to help Ducati with the Honda lane coming out onto the straight. The RC45 would just out power the 916 down the line. So the finished was moved closer lol but that was the rumor lol

But my point was that it's just stuff like that. Little details that Milestone just misses so often that kills a lot of fun with their games.

one last thing. stating the obvious my word is not law :) if you enjoy Milestone's games great. They aren't completely horrible but my issue is simply they could be easily be so much better with a little focus and effort. Almost 20 years and they still haven't had that blockbuster crossover item and I doubt they ever will. But what they can have is a solid devoted niche market that will consistently by their games if they show their customers respect. After all this time I want my GT, Project Cars, etc...... for bikes. It has nothing to do with Milestone being a small company and I'm tired of that excuse. They just need to just listen to their core market. I want a quality bike game without all these half done modes that force me to spend hours on end playing bikes and doing tasks I have no desire to do, especially given the handling/braking issues of the games. Like me have the bike a want (I'm ok with having to earn options to bring it up to factory spec) give me a list of real world tracks, offline stat tracking so I can keep my own personal best times and settings and customizable offline championship and I'm good. Sounds like I'm asking for a lot but I'm not.

I don't know, I bought Ride 2 the other day, and I'm having an absolute blast with it. I think the career mode is excellent. It's not hard at all to get some of the best bikes in the game fairly quickly, you get some of them for free as your career progresses. You're really not "locked into" racing anything in career/season mode. You can pretty much race what you want, especially once you unlock a couple of other racing levels(which is super easy to do). You can race a super bike one race, and a 125cc Cagiva Mito the next race if you want(which is an absolute blast by the way, I have just as much fun doing those races as I do with a super bike). I have a ton of credits to buy bikes, and I've done absolutely no grinding at all so far.

The physics aren't top notch, but they aren't terrible at all. It's a blast when you take a tough section of turns, and hit them Perfect. I think the bikes sound pretty good actually, but I'm not a hardcore motorcycle person either. I like the variety of bikes they have, moto GP, is a lot of fun, I have fun in any class really. The number of bikes is amazing, I think 225 is the number with the DLC I have gotten.

I haven't played with some of the options yet. One thing I did do is I put the anti-wheelie thing on when I race super bikes. It's hard to keep the front wheel down at times on some of those super bikes, especially the Ducati 1299 Superleggera. It has so much power that front wheel is hard to keep on the ground, I was always fighting it.

I never did play the first Ride, so I really can't compare the two games, but I've read from a lot of people that have played both, that Ride 2 is a major improvement in a lot of ways. I highly recommend anyone who is into motorcycle games, or a motorcycle fan, to give it a try. Wait for a sale if you don't want to pay full price for it, but it's some of the most fun racing I've had in along time. If Moto GP 17 looks like it's as good as Ride 2, I'll buy it when it goes on sale.

Last edited:
Back