Things You've Misheard/Misunderstood in Music

United States
The US of A
I am sure we have all misheard some lyrics in a song and thought an artist said something, only to realize later that wasn't it. In other cases, I am sure we also misunderstood the meaning of a song and later learned it didn't mean what we thought it did. Or maybe we thought we knew the title and/or artist only to find out later, you were wrong.

Well, we all make mistakes and if you have any instances of either of these, by all means, share! :)

Last edited:
The phenomenon is known as a Mondegreen, coming from a mishearing of "laid him on the green" as "Lady Mondegreen".

A good example is found in Purple Haze by The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
" 'scuse me, while I kiss the sky"
sounds like
" 'scuse me, while I kiss this guy".

Well despite thinking about this thread somewhat often, I haven't bothered to post anything yet, time to change that! :)

Anyways this song is one of the more interesting cases for me:

As a kid, I used to hear this song on the radio at night when I went to bed around the time it came out. When I heard him say "Kiss My Country", young me thought he was saying "good bye" in a soft voice directly after. It wasn't until years later I realized the songs full title had that word in it and that it was censored on the radio. I never realized it because not only was I young when it came out, but I kept my radio turned down pretty low at night and wasn't quite able to hear it well enough to know what was really going on in the song.

Little did I know of what I was actually listening to at the time! :lol:

Decided to change the title and OP a bit to accommodate more than just misheard/misunderstood song lyrics and allow for even more related discussion in this thread.

That said, here's an old, long-misunderstood relic from my teen years that only recently was uncovered.

Back in like 2009 or 2010, my cousin downloaded this song (don't ask where) and I eventually got a hold of it myself and listened to it quite a bit. The file was labeled "Kanye West- Love Lockdown", and the title in the metadata said "Ghost", but this just did not seem right to me and I questioned if it really was what it said. So I asked my cousin about it and he later reassured me it was because according to him, the game he played (likely NBA '09) said it was. Though I still was never fully convinced of this, I later assumed it was just an unusual take for Kanye, the first verse was his, the 2nd was Bun B's and Love Lockdown was the title even if it was never actually said in the lyrics. I mean some artists have done some tracks that differ greatly from what one would expect from them and not all songs actually have the title spoken in the lyrics and I thought this was one of them.

Fast forward to just a year or so ago, I had not heard the song since 2011 and had long since moved on from it, but I eventually decided to look up the lyrics I still remembered from it. It was here I finally realized Kanye never actually had anything to do with this track and my original suspicions were true all along. The file I had listened to in my youth was mislabeled and the track was actually a remix of a song called "Ghost" by Ladytron instead. Though I had never done much research on it before, I was always a little doubtful as to what it really was and I guess I wasn't wrong for thinking so.

Looking at the comment section of the video, it would seem I'm far from the only one to have come across this as well.

So I encountered this song today in a reel on Facebook:

I thought the lead singer here was a female at first, but upon looking it up, I realized the artist was a male. Truth be told though, I don't even blame myself for thinking so because the artist to me sounds somewhat indistinguishable and I hear a little bit of both in this particular song. Maybe that's just me, maybe it's one of those "yanny/laurel" sort of things, but that was my honest reaction to it and I am curious to know if anyone felt similar when they heard it.

Last edited:

I was eight when the song came out. Thought Michael Jackson was saying, "Keep on! Do the bus stop/Don't stop til you get enough!".

Back