Mission 10 - Avantime at the Hunaudieres

• Thread starter Swift
  • 29 comments
Did anybody else have such an awful time with this thing?

My successful run:

Shadowed red Avantime, drafting. Slingshot past him in time to set up for chicane 1, in which a good hard dose of braking slotted me in behind the blue Avantime, which I drafted off of all the way to just before chicane 2. Decent exit there puts me within range of the green Avantime, to the inside of which I dive on the last hard corner. Blocking it, I manage a victory of about .2 seconds.

After five other unsuccessful attempts. Sheesh.

did this one first time. i thought it would be a bit harder but the avantime isnt too slow for its size lol. I dont think there is much skill to doing this just carry as much speed into the chicanes as you can without going offline

I just cut the chicanes and was winning after the first one.

Re did it without cheating and won.

Yes, quite quickly word got around that you could cut the chicanes to win this one. :(

Perhaps I should try again after having got silver on S15 (Audi^H^H^H^HBentley at Le Mans).

Ambiguous comment of mine there. I meant "now that I have got silver on S15 . . ."

Anyway, last weekend I found time to pass this challenge honestly. While trying, I suddenly realized that perhaps I was failing because I was trying to pass the other cars in the chicanes.

And so, given that you draft pass the first car before the first chicane (passing on the right seemed to help me be ready for the imminent chicane), I decided to merely use the chicanes to close up on the next car, so that I could pass it on the subsequent straight.

After a few tries, I got that to work.

Pass first car naturally by drafting.

Close up to second car in first chicane, and draft by it on the following straight.

Close up to third (i.e. first-place) car in second chicane, and pass it going into the Mulsanne Hairpin. I think I forced the other car wide a little, but I finished first by a clear margin with no lawn-mowing, no 5-second penalties, and no excessively undue forceful contact.

The same weekend I also redid Mission 6 cleanly. (which see)

So now I own my Delorean honestly.

You can run into some "stupid AI tricks" in this mission.

Sometimes the passed cars stay close enough behind you that they can draft by you just before the Mulsanne hairpin. They love to get by you, pull in front of you, and then slam on their brakes too soon, causing you to run into their rear-end, resulting in you getting a 5-second penalty!

I hated this mission. I could pass every car except the final one. In the end I resorted to some cheeky tactics, instead of staying to the track on the second chicane I decided to drive straight over the gravel at full speed putting me in first place with a 3 second lead.

I did that the first time too. But see if you can see what I'm talking about in my longer post up there. I didn't seem to be able to pass at the chicanes the time I didn't cheat; you just use your better chicanery to make up lots of time there, get really close to the next car in the line, and then you can draft by on the following straight.

George Morley
Yes, but it's what we call 'cheating', and most people at GtPlanet don't like cheating.
I guess you're not "most people", then:
George Morley
I Just Cut The Chixanes And Was Winning After The 1st One
Hrm.

It never occurred to me that this one was hard. It took me maybe three attempts. And I find it funny that the first person said he had "such an awful time" with this when it took him 5 or 6 tries.

5 or 6 tries is not an "awful" time. 50 or 60 tries is an awful time. If I got all the driving missions in less than 5 tries each, I'd think they were way too easy.

Took me a while. If you can draft well for the whole stretch you should edge ahead by the end, if you want to do it without cheating.

And you do.

I keep repeating variations of . . .

I think the problem is many people think you should be passing in the chicanes, but, in fact I don't think you can--it gets you too messed up for good overall speed. So you need to realize that all your passes will be done by drafting and/or outbraking on the straights, and the chicanes will merely be used to close the gap appropriately.

If you don't realize that, the test seems much harder than it is.

Duke - :lol: Lmao, I did redo it without cheating, I can do it again and show you the replay (well, try to get it uploaded).

This is a terrific Mission. When I did the Missions over a year ago, this was one of those Missions that really didn't stick in my head. I thought it was rather stupid. Now that I've run it again, I find that it is very challenging. You have to be spot on to gain momentum from the draft. Those chicanes are tricky since the Avantime sort of dies on the curves.

I don't know if there is any trick to this Mission (aside from cheating :lol: ). I basically tried to stay in the draft of each car as long as possible. I failed the Mission the first time since I thought it was going to be really easy. Not so. Anyway, I got a good run on the lead vehicle and the rest was history. A really fun Mission. One of the better ones.
Here's the sample video (without the cheat) to make it a bit easier (NTSC, DS2, MT):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBhCsuq6kh8

Your demo confirms what I had said earlier. The only "trick" is to realize that, excepting the sand-plowing cheat, you can't make cheap passes at the chicanes, but need to be satisfied with closing up in them, and then pass on the following straight.

This seemed even harder for me with a DFP. It's probably good practice for learning to use the DFP. It's really difficult to read the steering for the chicanes, however, and I think the game is less forgiving with a DFP versus the DS2.

But I was getting really sleepy, and so had to call it a morning.

Though, actually, using the DFP, I did one time manage to get to P2 in the first chicane. But then it seemed like I was too far behind P1 to catch it up on my own. (as if having P2 between you and P1 causes double drafting, or perhaps P1 speeds up when you are in P2?).

Or perhaps I actually got a penalty.

Just slipstream and your steering has to be as smooth as possible, in order not to lose speed. Very easy mission. Cutting through the chicanes and cheating, isn't needed in any case. :)

My way doesn't really count because i cut across the sand at the chicanes and won by several seconds.

This is the one im on right now. The first challenging part of the game. Tried it 3 times and failed. Guess in good ole GT fashion it only gets harder huh??...lol.

AngloAmerican

The key to this one is smoothness in your driving. Draft the first AI then smoothly go around him. Close up on the second one using the momentum you gained passing the first one and a smooth line through the chicane. Repeat for the second AI and chicane. Draft then pass the leader, you should be able to get past him in plenty of time to set up for Mulsanne corner. Note that it's perfectly legal to use the red surface in the chicanes (even in the license tests).

It is possible that some people think you cannot touch the reddish-brown parts of the track (as I did) without getting penalised. Winning this mission that way is extremely hard, if not impossible.

I kinda got thru this mission by mistake after loads of fustratted attempts. I passed the first one on the straight before the first chicane. Then upon entering the chicane i turned into it from wide out and managed to come out infront of the second car, just brushing against it. Dont ask me how bcus other attemps i was penalised or nowhere near doing that, but somehow it happened. Then on the straight before the 2nd chicane i passed the other car. At the 2nd chicane i kinda lost my fingers on the controller and pretty much went straight across the sandy stuff and came back onto the track infront of the 2nd placed car. After that it was just drive to the last corner. Taking it slowly, and end this very fustrating mission. I Guess not paying attention can work in your favor....lol.

AngloAmerican

I did this on my first try, won by a mile (not literally). I cut those handy chicanes, gaining time over the other identical freak-boxes.

What do you want, a cheat's medal?
You cut the chicanes, you cheated. 👎
Don't come bragging here about it.
Win it cleanly or not at all.

What do you want, a cheat's medal?
You cut the chicanes, you cheated. 👎
Don't come bragging here about it.
Win it cleanly or not at all.

^This^.

In other news, took this one last night on my new playthrough by a fair margin. Passing points for those who still struggle finishing this cleanly were:
3rd: Slipstreaming before first chicane
2nd: On the exit of the first chicane-got a better run out of it
1st: Slipstreaming on the approach to the Mulsanne hairpin.

Seeing as I haven't done this mission for over a year and a half I am quite satisfied with the ease of my result (considering I haven't played much GT4 lately).

Back