Mission 16 - Buggin' Suzuka

• Thread starter Swift
  • 30 comments
There are some meandering narrow sections of tarmac right before the true chicane (after whatever that really fast corner is). Brake for these instead and try to ride more tarmac than grass back to the track. Gave me many seconds per lap.

Oh that one. "One of the harder 3-Lap Battles", i did this one first time i'm pretty sure, won easily :D

In fact remembering back to when i did it, i am almost certain i had a 5 second penalty during it. And still won comfortably :sly:

Since no-one else has done it let me put up some benchmarks for this mission.

I caught the other cars at:

5th Place: approaching Spoon Curve @ 1'50.9
4th Place: at Casio Triangle (the chicane before the start finish) @ 2'24.3
3rd Place: approaching Spoon Curve @ 4'14.2
2nd Place: at Casio Triangle (the chicane before the start finish) @ 4'54.9
1st Place: on Back Stretch @ 7'01.3

Lap 1: 14.597, 12.788, 10.788
Lap 2: 8.020, 5.961, 3.466
Lap 3: 1.279, -0.298, -0.612

Me: 7'37.583
AI: 7'38.195

yup very easy, just take it easy thru the snakey bends and you can gain alot of ground....

it is also one track that you can cheat on :)

I just beat this earlier today, after maybe 3 tries. The first time i was just off by 5 seconds. Second time, 2nd lap back straight before 130R one of the AI guys spun me out. 3rd time won by about 2 seconds.

My advice, do Mission 26 first. I found it easier to learn the track with a better car than the bug, but that's just me.

appie17
this mission was a piece of pie:lol:

I agree. I cheated though :(
After the long straight when you face a hard right than left before the finish line I kept cutting across the mini road than led to the main road and this shaved a couple seconds each time, so 3 times doing this plus a little bit of good driving and this mission was easy.

I'll try to explain my mini road a little better for anyone who hasn't beat this mission yet.

You're going down the long straight which bends to the left and than you need to brake for the hard right turn, well just before the turn there's a little thin road than leads to the main road and you can drive on that and end up on the main road and gain about 2 seconds each time doing so.

I found this to be one of the most enjoyable tests i've done so far :)

This is one of the few cases where the TCS / ASM works to your advantage; you can have fun and throw the car around thorugh the corners, and you can still keep it planted though the turns and not have to worry about the FWD bug ploughing off the track.

my tip is to stay in 4th gear throughout the esses, you can drop to 3rd but I found it unnecessary and no faster. If you feel you need to drop to a lower gear then you are going too slow ;)

Being a mediocre player, I'm somewhat glad to hear others refer to using the emergency route through the final chicane.

I did it shortly after getting silver in S12 (Suzuka).

To get that, I A-spec'd the Suzuka 1000km race in the license test car, the Motul Pitwork JGTC Z, stock except starting on R1/R1 and switching to R3/R2 after a few stops. I had a bad first race (forgot to put enough gas in at about two hours, duh!), so I started another. Initially I intended to start at about 8pm, pause to do some PVR stuff at about 11pm, then race to the finish. But instead I restarted after 11pm, and so paused the game at about 3am in need of sleep. It was amazing how much better my lap times were after sleep. My best lap was a second below the silver benchmark (but didn't achieve the gold time). Also it didn't help that I mistakenly thought the race was only 5 hours long, not the actual six. I think perhaps I looked at my records for the B-spec of the Fuji race instead.

But silver still took me a few tries. I think perhaps R3/R2 is faster than R3/R3, (less understeer) or perhaps warmed-up tires corner faster than "neutral" test tires.

Having done that Suzuka test, I decided to take advantage of my track knowledge to do Mission 16.

I started off pretty dreadful in Mission 16, but gradually ate up seconds here and there until I could fairly reliably get to about 1.X seconds behind the first-place car.

And then I noticed the road through the chicane. A five-second penalty for some love-taps, but the chicane they let you get away with totally. And so I couldn't resist using it.

Good players (able to consistently come close to gold on S12) should be able to win this mission without using what is clearly a cheat, however.

I'm so bad at this game. Being in a Suzuka frame-of-mind, I gave Mission 26 a shot, but am consistently 4 seconds out. Waiting 93 seconds is annoying, too. The car for that is the same one as for the Tokyo Super License test. Which test I actually didn't manage bronze on last night, but I was getting sleepy. But that car and track will be my next project, I guess.

It's nice for players like me that this version of the game finally has prizes for getting all silver on your license tests.

Prior to this, apart from the easy missions (1-10 and 21-24), the only other Mission I had completed was the Suzuka East one, in the S2000. Nowhere to really cheat there; I just gradually got the feel of the car until I could eek out the win.

won with no cheating by 6 secs from the first AI, 7:34.221. S12 probably isn't the best training for this, as the speeds are so different! I was braking way too early for the hairpin at first. you can gain huge lumps of time on the AI through the final part of the esses and under braking for the final chicane even if you DON'T cheat it (you can brake very late for the chicane, right as you're going under the bridge). Had one great moment when I overtook the 4th place car; we were side by side, me on the outside, all the way up the long straight before the fast left hander, me wondering whether I should just chicken out and pass him on the chicane...he moved hard to the right and into my left rear tyre just before the corner and nearly made me spin out, but I kept it floored and skidded all the way round, just catching the kerb on exit. hairy moment :)

Boring long and monotonous. The cars were ok but with such a long track and not very much speed, It felt more like a chore than a fun difficult mission. I was on the last lap right behind the lead car heading into the chicane right before the front straight and he broke earlier than I did and I accidentally rear ended him because I am a little bit of a late breaker. So I got the 5 sec penalty and lost and had to redo the entire thing over again... anger...

ANy detailed advice you guys could give me? I"m not very good at this game obviously and for some reason, I can't seem to catch up at all. I could probably only get up to 3rd place by the time the race ends. So please help guys. Appreciate it.

KurementoX
ANy detailed advice you guys could give me? I"m not very good at this game obviously and for some reason, I can't seem to catch up at all. I could probably only get up to 3rd place by the time the race ends. So please help guys. Appreciate it.
You have to take the Esses smooth and fast & you can take 180R flat & make some time up there too.
The AI's will brake in the Esses & 180R if you don't you can make up time.
I also made up good time by taking the first corner fast, just a tap on the brakes is all that's needed.
These cars are all the same so you are not going to make any time up in the straights.

KurementoX
There is a lot of time to be made up in the Degner curves--those two shallow right-handers after the straight after the high-speed left-hander which veers off from the East short course. The two curves together actually add up to one long corner of slightly more than ninety-degrees, heading into the hairpin. Slow-in, fast-out for the Degner curves, but you've got to get it just right. (I'm not sure I ever did). Perhaps do some races on the course, and watch the AI.

There is, as you may have read, if you are really desperate, a short-cut through the chicane.

MISSION 16

Here's a map of the circuit for this mission, with the gears listed for each corner, and brake zones in yellow.
mission16.jpg

Keys:
-Don't make a single mistake. The Beetle is very easy to drive, but it's also easy to drive past its limit.
-The esses can be taken without braking, but a quick dab of brakes will settle the car nicely for each turn.

Disclaimer: This is how I drive the mission. I have a conservative, smooth driving style, so your braking tendencies may not match, but it should give you some idea of where to brake, and how much. Throttle-lifts are NOT shown, but it's not hard to figure out when you should lift. The time reference is for the NTSC version only.

I think this Mission 16 was an enjoyable Mission where you could just try to get the most out of your Beetle for three consecutive laps. You need to keep up your momentum or these torqueless Bugs will just lose speed :yuck: . I found a few low-speed corners that I couldn't decide which gear to use. First gear was too low, second gear was too high. I liked drafting the opponent cars which was a good way to pick up some extra speed. The opponent bugs were handicapped in turns, and they braked way too early. I would just dive deeper into the turns and come out strong. This was a fun car to wind the bejesus out of it.

I didn't take any practice run since I had been driving another faster Suzuka Mission. It's really more fun for me to drive Missions without practice.

Here's a decent sample video of the burping Beetle (NTSC, DS2, MT):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXJQzXT1abI

After a few tries I passed this mission with about 5 seconds to spare I used the short cut once, just to ensure my victory after a dodgy attempt at the final high speed corner.

I found that doing the esses in 3rd worked for me, basically redlining it all the way through them and easing up on the gas to change my direction through them. I breezed past the other cars I came up against through esses in 3rd, I found that being in 4th tended to take me far to wide.

Also I found you can catch up on the straights a fair bit considering everyones in the same car, a slow in - fast out aproach realy had benefits before the long straight IMO.

Teshu :)

Just passed this mission, today at 6.30 am, before going to bed, after a night full of beer. :cheers: Guess I'll have to drink a few beers before trying any other mission. And best of all, passed it without cheating. ;)

i never cheat...it feels like your cheating your self...by the way i beat the Al by 9.5 second...way is come in a fracton alower than usual then to drive hard out of corners

Back