Mission 30 - Subarus at Tsukuba

• Thread starter Swift
  • 33 comments
I'm always so close to passing this one, last time I tried, I was short by .0017 seconds. What's the fastest way around the last corner? Brake early then full throttle around on the inside of the corner or late and go on the outside?

I won by .020 of a second. Phew. That was close.

You need to get past the red Blitzen before the last corner to stand a chance of passing the 360 before the line. :)

blue_sharky39
I won by .020 of a second. Phew. That was close.

You need to get past the red Blitzen before the last corner to stand a chance of passing the 360 before the line. :)

ya well, i won by .007 seconds on my third try. it was soooo close :scared:

i hate this mission... im so close.... only 0.028 sec off... but i cant seem to make that damn time up... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its pissin me off

A follow-up - it took about 9 times to get it done - here's how I did it:
At the start aim for the left of the first corner, go diagonal straight for it - there is no slip stream early , brake late and turn wide - trail braking keeps pace up and revs high, use the rumble strips as you approach turn 3, take the Impreza on the inside, then move to the right of the white Legacy, and take the tight line over the rumble strip on the right hand sweep before the Dunlop bridge. The Black Legacy is next, take it on the right, brake late for the hairpin, same as turn one with some trail breaking, 3/4 way through go full throttle, and then the Blitzen is in reach, use the Blitzen's slipstream to the fullest - (that is very important to gain pace and ground on the '53), pass it half way down the straight - smooth and easy (no panick or rush) through the final turn. Take the '53 on the right. That's a 0.317sec margin.
The race comes to you surprisingly after several frustrating times of waiting 56 seconds for the handicap - replay the last one and the next round strategy while waiting!

Has AnyOne Got Any Video Links To Mission 30 Completion Since Im Finding It Hard And I'm 92% Through The Game

stupid missiion. i tried 20 times and all i was inside 0.2 of a second close to completing it.

UPDATE: i finally won it on the 24th try. by 0.009. thx to dattwell as i realise the slip stream behind the red car is super important.

This took me about 4 or 5 tries to pass. To me it wasn't that bad (and i'm not a very good driver).....now if I can only pass M29....

not too hard, so long as you remember the same strategy for tsukuba as *every* other test there - brake crazy late, everywhere. won by 0.5 secs.

Hi all. Newbie here :)

Yes, this one's insanely easy, though, it took me about 10 tries to complete it :ouch: (I'm far from being the best player round). All you need is good timing... I know I went for the other blue Subaru in the second turn, then totally messed up the last corner (!) and eventually made it... for .001 of a second !!! I laughed so much, I had to save the replay.

.001, ridiculous :sly:

I'm losing alot of time somewhere. Only had a couple of goes so far but im about by over a second:nervous: Something isn't right i have to work out where exactly it is im losing that time

MISSION 30

Here's a map of the circuit for this mission, with the gears listed for each corner, and brake zones in yellow.
mission30.jpg

Keys:
-Drive fast. Very fast.

Disclaimer: This is how I drive the mission. I have a conservative, smooth driving style, so your braking tendencies may not match, but it should give you some idea of where to brake, and how much. Throttle-lifts are NOT shown, but it's not hard to figure out when you should lift. The time reference is for the NTSC version only.

Ah, Mission 30. That's about the longest I want to wait for a race to start:yuck: . It starts and ends in a blink. I think the key to winning this race is braking hard in the corners and holding them tight. If you can use an opponent car to help you steer the corner, then use it. Draft whenever possible. Not much time to think in a one lap race. Man, that Subaru 360 moves really slow:grumpy: . Here's a sample video of a simple run (NTSC, DS2, MT):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTuwwHBdBSo

I had this thing beat by .142 secs.... then.... BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH!!!:scared: :ouch: AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reset the game and again i try.... Damn IM Mad!!!

I had been always having real trouble with this one--getting consistently really close, but not close enough.

I got it last night, but now need to replicate it in my "real" game. I think the key for me was driving less smoothly. I added a couple of points where I go down to first gear--brake hard, and accelerate hard. Modify steering to accommodate induced oversteer/understeer. But avoid getting suckered into braking too late when trying to pass the first (fifth-place) car.

I think you've got to be lining up to pass the 2nd and 3rd place cars as you go into the hairpin (i.e. make a smooth exit which passes them on the following straight; don't let them hold you up--faster drivers manage to pass 3rd place going into that corner?), and get into second place well before the final bend. And to do that you've got to get to fourth place before the bridge, so as to have a good clean run into the hairpin.

Edit: And last night I relatively easily passed it in my real game. I had trouble getting the "feel" back; that was almost hampered by my knowing the "checkpoints" I was going for. For a little while I wondered if I had made a mistake in not saving the success in my "exploratory" game. In my success last night, I recorded three times including the final one where I passed by .103. The first second-place finish wasn't really close, but it was getting frustrating never finishing, and the second was a close loss. Apart from that I did many "retries" (which don't register a day if you haven't crossed the finishing line), many of which were aborts fairly close to the start, although I also aborted if I was into the last turn without being in second place. (I don't think I could win this race if I've got a penalty, though I won't say that extends to everyone else).

I had lots of trouble with this one too. However, this is, unusually, a problem solvable with simple, non-numerical, strategy: At the second hairpin, it is key to pass the car ASAFP! If you don't, you only lose a bit of time, but it causes a chain reaction, putting you behind other cars at only the most inopportune times. Other than that, it's a typical race.

Yes. A sacrificial corner line often results from passing on the 2nd corner, a very frustrating prospect that limited my times during this mission.

this would be a lot easier if you could turn that damn traction control off

Back