Mission 34 - Mercedes Mclaren SLR at Nurburgring

• Thread starter Swift
  • 1,256 comments
This mission is utterly impossible... Better get used to the fact that YOU WILL NOT PASS THIS.. EVER... That is - Unless you put hours of practice into it.. The SLR is a slippery sucker with way too much power and way too little grip - so practice, practice, practice, then try again, fail - and then practice some more... Best advice I can give you - Brake early and coast thy turns young Jedi !...

This is truly the test of tests in GT4 - master this and you pull almost anything off ;)

Btw.. There's a couple of hints as to where it's possible to cheat and use a little more grass than necessary.. it's possible, but not recommended should you decide to participate in the WRS at some point ;) They may be found by using the search button..

Good Luck !...

And the developers at PD shall die horrible deaths for putting in that dog-danged 2 minute wait.

Grr!

The toughest part of this mission is possibly the wait. And that Our version is tougher. 8 seconds tougher. And considering that I can pull under + 8 sec with 2 penaltys. That makes me angry. And even more now that I am at 99.8 %.

Sage
And the developers at PD shall die horrible deaths for putting in that dog-danged 2 minute wait.

Grr!
Agreed. I must have re-done the mission at least 20 times, 2 minutes each time, so that means I had to wait in total of 40 mintues just waiting for the race to start.

Ridiculous... :grumpy:

best time ive had is around 5 seconds off. and that, by freak coincidence, was my second try. i think i was having a good day though :(. i tried it again a few days after. was miles off flying all over the place.

Even though it sounds too obvious to say, I'll say it anyway... but the two most important steps I took that lead me to pass this Mission were these:-

1. Learn the circuit
2. Practice with the car

For 1. (Learn the circuit), pick a car you really like, and one that you can handle... mine was the Audi TT Touring Car (as part of the WRS competition)... I spent a week learning the circuit so well, I was literally having dreams about it... after a week of trying to beat your own time in any one given car, you will know the track...

For 2., I started practicing with a similar Merc., that handled very similarly to the car in the test. It took me a while to realise that the Merc McLaren is pretty heavy and likes to be braking early (in order to take corners smoothly)... I didn't spend much time on this aspect though...

After this, I attempted Mission 34 (after coming nowhere near passing it before)... it took just three attempts to pass...

Obviously, there are a few other key aspects:- practice overtaking cleanly... you can't afford any 5 second penalties. Practice the circuit on the final license test... you will almost certainly always be quicker in a clean lap than by taking short-cuts. Brake early... slow-in, fast-out really pays off at the 'Ring.

Yes, the wait is excruciatingly(sp?) long. But the race itself adds up. You got a car that is overpowered. Like Flerbizky said if you coast the turns you get quite a bit of grip but once you give it gas you lose like 2x as much of your grip. Then the other hard part is the track itself. The Nurburgring is the toughest track to figure out. The Mclaren SLR is the hardest car to figure out it's behaviours. The wait is long enough for you to give up before even starting. It's truly made for hardcore GT players.

You can afford a 5 second penalty. I had one and I was +5.xxx( makeable on n-a version ) but crashed because I didn't brake and now I regret it .

FWIW. I did this a couple weeks ago and thought I'd contribute my winning splits as guidance:

And offer pointers to good maps for training:
http://www.heiser.net/media/2002.09.nurburgring/nurburgring_map.jpg
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1446346&postcount=122

And a truly excellent pdf guide from BMW:
http://www.bremo.nl/pdf/nordschleife.pdf

| Winning Splits:
| 1'50.3
| 1'43.3
| 1'34.1
| 1'21.3
| 1'07.4
| 40.0 <- Pass SL 65 rounding the Karussel
| 31.1 <- Pass SL 55 going into to Eiskurve (just before CP)
| 14.2 <- Pass Evo halfway between Galgenkopf and the CP
| 5.8 <- Pass SLK 230 just after the CP
| +.7 <- Relaxed a bit and got ready for the sprint after the last curve!

NOTE: I had two big offs before Aremburg, losing about 2 seconds in the process. More realistically, you should be striving to hit CP #2 (Aremburg) at about 1'41.5. AND, this was not clean. I used 1 big grasscut (over the Adenaur-Forst hill just before CP#3) and 3 Wallrides (Breidsheid just before CP #5, a little bit at Mutkurve just before CP #6 and the Karussell just before CP#7).

I don't particularly like cheating so much to win... but the NTSC version is so damn difficult to begin with. :guilty:

Oh... and BTW.
There is an 11 second difference between the PAL and NTSC version. :ouch:

PAL: 115 second wait, Lead car finishes at ~9'16 (+/- .5 sec)
NTSC: 123 second wait, Lead car finishes at ~ 9'13 (+/- .5 sec)

Well I can pull a under +11sec anytime so it's not excrutiatingly hard IMO
SPLITS ( best until I crashed )
+1'48.2xx
+1'39.8xx
+1'30.2xx
+1'19.2xx
+1'05.3xx
+54.8xx
+39.1xx Pass under braking on the curve BEFORE the karussel
+30.7xx
+25.0xx (lost time because of the sl 55)
+13.1xx
+05.0xx (decide to try to knock the 300 sl by lawn-mowing at 250kph) but miss and get a 5 sec penalty

I found the drafting mission with the skylines much harder! I think the key to this one is to trey and not loose your temper. If you get annoyed and try driving like a maniac, it ain't gonna happen. I finished it basically by being smooth and not pushing too hard. They're not hard to catch, it's just hard to keep the SLR on the road as it's sooooo fast and can be really unstable. Concentrate on getting the hard bits (i.e. over hills etc) right and then try and make up time during the easier sections. It was pretty damn hard though and the 2 min wait was really excessive.

Flerbizky
This mission is utterly impossible... Better get used to the fact that YOU WILL NOT PASS THIS.. EVER... That is - Unless you put hours of practice into it.. The SLR is a slippery sucker with way too much power and way too little grip - so practice, practice, practice, then try again, fail - and then practice some more... Best advice I can give you - Brake early and coast thy turns young Jedi !...

This is truly the test of tests in GT4 - master this and you pull almost anything off ;)
Good Luck !...

so i can make my cars fly now? :lol:

i finally managed to pull it off last nite (read: 3AM) out of boredom. it took me three attempts this time, the first i was my usual 8 seconds off, the second time i was third with nearly 3 seconds off. finally, the third time, i dont know what happened, but i was passing every car where i was meant to, and running pretty cleanly, except right at the end im beside the 300SL coming upto the pitlane entrance, and i stand my line with him on the inside so he goes wandering onto the grass, giving me a comfy 4 second win. as for the 2 minute waits each time, first time was toilet and getting seat comfy, second time was getting comfy and a drink, 3rd time i practically sat it out for 70 seconds when i got comfy, sitting, waiting. :lol:

and i still cant do the one with the Chevy C5 race car :(

gt_masta
The toughest part of this mission is possibly the wait. And that Our version is tougher. 8 seconds tougher. And considering that I can pull under + 8 sec with 2 penaltys. That makes me angry. And even more now that I am at 99.8 %.

The following licenses require faster gold times in PAL: B6, B7, A16, IB8, IB9, IB10, IB11, IB14, IA1, IA-8, IA-15 (Benz at the Ring: 9 min PAL, 9:02 NTSC), S4, S5, S6. So stop complaining that our version is harder! :)

My tips for mission 34:
- Know the track (..:rolleyes:...). Buy a stock SLR and time trial the track until you're confident enough, no need to wait 2 minutes every time.
- Don't throw the SLR around, easy does it.
- Don't overdrive jumps/bumpy sections where it's easy to crash.
- You can gain quite some time in the technical section by driving the correct racing line (see licence A-16)
- focus on exit speed out of corners, especially when uphill sections or long straights are coming up.

It took me 4 days of trying (couple of hours per day), and when I started I still had to learn the track. It's not as hard as you think, honestly!! Good luck!

^Very Nicely Put :D :D :D

oh, i dunno wether it helped me or anything, but i ran 2 free runs on the ring beforehand, one in a Lotus Carlton on Sport Mediums and the Hyundai HDC in Stock. wether that helped me i dont know, but i noticed an improvement in every section i did except for the part leading up to the little jump to right hander. i ALWAYS muck up before then

De Bolle
The following licenses require faster gold times in PAL: B6, B7, A16, IB8, IB9, IB10, IB11, IB14, IA1, IA-8, IA-15 (Benz at the Ring: 9 min PAL, 9:02 NTSC), S4, S5, S6. So stop complaining that our version is harder! :)
I can do a 9 min timie on the ring and other are like tenths and gold on license is not required for 100% completion while mission 34 is :dunce: :nervous:

gt_masta
I can do a 9 min timie on the ring and other are like tenths and gold on license is not required for 100% completion while mission 34 is :dunce: :nervous:

S4: 2:15 PAL, 2:17 NTSC
S6: 0:55 PAL, 0:57 NTSC

That's four seconds already... ;)

Back