Mission 34 notes:

• Thread starter Nuvolari
  • 40 comments
GT4, NTSC format, Logitech Driving Force Pro wheelset, location USA

Mission 34 notes……

On the McLaren: Scream the engine to 7500 rpm always. Testing at the big track showed significance improvement in acceleration over shifting at 7000, where the shift light flashes. Drive the car as if it were a low-torque kart by using rather dramatic trail-braking on most corner entries, and always trying to hold some throttle. Never over-drive any corner entry, rather sacrifice slightly to gain early throttle application on exit. This is very critical at the Nordschleife with its many uphill exits. Don’t shift up on any climb IF you can avoid it as the slow gearbox kills your time. Avoid always, getting the front tires sliding on entry braking. This car requires extreme attention to maintaining MOMENTUM since it does not pull well off so many of the bends at this track.

On the track: Few corners can be taken less than perfect if you want to go fast, and with the McLaren, everything is critical, such as holding the perfect smooth line on every straight, where you might think you can relax a bit. Much about the Nurburgring is extremely deceptive. Remember you can make more time in the fast sections than in the slow ones, so try harder in ALL of those, but remember that patience is not only a virtue, but it is required to hold the perfect line through many corners while correctly braking and gassing it all at the same time.

As a suggestion for attacking this mission, I drove a nearly identical McLaren many times in practice, often very slowly, to learn the track and to find the radii of ALL the corners where the entry and exit were not especially apparent. I did NOT however, spend much time at the practice circuit because you might as well work on your technique in the actual mission itself. I was able to switch off my emotions and switch on my brain, and psych DOWN, keeping in mind that it would take time to beat the SL, and that I simply would commit to the effort, whatever it took. Regarding the 123 second wait, I would click off the audio and close my eyes and count down, visualizing my approach to the first few bends.

The following is the method I used to clear this mission, and if it helps anyone clear this mission, then it will have served its purpose. I would love to hear of other methods, simply because of the difficulty and the fact that other methods certainly will also be effective, I’m sure.

So here we go.

Basic smooth and straight driving technique (considering the above car-specific points) gets you through the first section down to the important “jump” at Quiddelbacher Hohe. Scream the engine in third gear over the jump, releasing the throttle in mid-air so you can settle gently and straight, and so you can again pick up the throttle hard as you turn gently into at the first right hander. Hold third gear until you clear the brow of the hill at Flugplatz before shifting to fourth. Keep it nailed approaching the hilltop before descending down (using third gear and hard on the gas) to Aremberg and Schwedenkreuz and the right turn. As you clear the bridge and start the descent down through Fuchsrohre, you should see the time you’re behind the SL flash, showing less than 1’42”. 1’40 and change would be good.

Through Fuchsrohre then and as you start up the hill, feather the throttle and brake slightly for the left hander at the brow. Gas it hard to the entry of the next right and hold the inside on exit. Here comes a very critical left and then right onto a fairly long straight, at Adenauer, and it’s a chicane which must be put together correctly. If you get through well, you should see the time check show less than 1’33” as you start the straight.

The next section requires tempered aggression and no mistakes. Do not over-do it and don’t wait too long to turn in at any entry. You must get a run out of the right hand bend at Kallenhard, then get through the left/right straight but quick, and hold a steady throttle down to Wehrseifen, which may be the MOST critical bend on the track. You must get a smooth drive up the hill heading to Breitscheid. You should see the time check flash showing you’re less than 1’21” behind the SL. Breitscheid requires a conservative entry so you can hold a constant radius around and then down the short descent. You should be able to hold the throttle wide open around Breitscheid and then up the hill which leads to the Bergwerk section.

Approaching the right hand bend at Bergwerk, hold the braking until later than you think. You will need maximum momentum through the bend and you MUST have the throttle on hard to get the drive up the hill. This is one place where you never actually release the throttle on entry, rather being aggressive all the way around until you start your exit drive up the hill. The car will turn easier than you think here, and it’s fine to get over the inside curb as you prepare to exit. This is a very critical bend, because it’s uphill and leads to a very long and important (almost) straight section. As you make the first left after the hill, the time check should show less than 1’08” behind the SL. If you’re going fast it should show less than 1’07”.

The next section is so, so, so, so important. You must hold a smooth line through the bends of Kesselchen because the McLaren is reluctant to accelerate hard here.

As you clear the last right leading down to the Karussell section and its tricky first right called Klostertal, which you must not over-do on entry, you should have the AMG 65 well in your sights. The time check should show less than 57 seconds. As you approach the concrete patched and banked Carraciola bend, you want to be just a bit off his bumper so you can cleanly pass (on the left, thank you) just after leaping off the last section of patches. You really have to get by him here or the rest will be very upsetting.

The next section again requires aggression and conservation of momentum. It’s hard to describe how to do it, but you must take some chances and still hold the correct line through Wipperman. It’s very easy to slide off line, particularly going up through Hohe Acht and then through the off camber right following. Second gear is not a good idea after Hohe Acht because you’re right at rev limit, so momentum is the key, in third.

You should see the 500 as you negotiate the short straight through Brunnchen. You absolutely MUST get by him (cleanly) before the Pflanzgarten and the difficult jump, passing cleanly on the left just before the descent to the jump. If you do, the rest is easy, relatively that is. It’s momentum again from the Pllanzgarten to the Schwalbenschwanz, and Niki Lauda has said that this section of racetrack is the most exciting and difficult of all the F1 tracks in the world. Hans Stuck said that the “hump” after the Pflanzgarten, “knocks the wind out of you down to the last fart”. I didn’t notice, but…

When you exit the Swallowtail, which can be taken almost flat in 2nd gear, you should be very close to the 190. Keep it nailed but smooth through the right hander leading onto the long, long, long straight past the ruins. Here the time check (at the beginning of the long straight) should show you’re less than 16 seconds (about) back from the Gull-Wing.

You must get cleanly by the Kompressor just after the bridge at Antoniusbruche. Then it’s up to you to be smooth with your braking so you can enter the last right before the pit entrance while closing rapidly on the (old but wonderful) SL. Don’t be too anxious and get in a hurry, remember that you’re a robot with no blood. Just close up on him as you come to the last right leading to the finish. He has no chance with the 600 or so horses of the McLaren, so you can roll by on the safe side and beat him to the line.

But if something bad happens, just do it all again (and again, and again…) until you smoke him. Remember, be cool and keep those emotions switched off and the little grey cells doing all the work.

These are the time gaps, as flashed during the clearing run, mission 34.

T1 1’50.283 Quiddlebacher Hohe (the jump)
T2 1’40.955 Bridge at Schwedenkreuz after Aremberg
T3 1’33.016 After Adenauer Forst sign (after tight chicane)
T4 1’20.080 After Wehrseifen coming into Breitscheid
T5 1’07.225 After Bergwerk up to Kesselchen
T6 56.184” Just before Klostertal (sign at Steilstrecke)
T7 41.410” Hedwigs Hohe
T8 32.985” Before Pflanzgarten
T9 26.392” After Pflanzgarten
T10 14.270” after Dottinger Hohe, start of the straight
T11 5.924” Antoniusbrucke

lap time 9’12.622
SL time 9’13.018
M.O.V. .396”

Tazio

__

Darts,

This is the write-ups forum. HE's given valuable information in a very critical manner.

Additionally, you didn't have to quote his entire post to add one question. I've edited yours and I suggest in the future you be a bit more respectful in what you post.

AO

Some additional notes on mission 34:

Obviously the McLaren must be driven well to clear the mission but---to me---the most important requirement for success was to get by the AMG and the 500 absolutely clean, that is, I had to make the pass on both of them as if they were not there. I had several runs where I earned five second penalties, nearly always because the AMG or the 500 tapped me from behind or from the side, and I then ended up less than two seconds behind the SL at the finish. There were also runs where I had to either lift slightly or brake slightly to pass those two cleanly, and that would always kill my time.

So I made it a requirement for completing a run that I must get by the AMG and the 500 perfectly, without being slowed even slightly by either. I felt that I would get by the 190 easily and the Kompressor nearly as easily at the finish.

And---I never tried to pass the SL UNTIL just after the final corner entering the finish straight. There was no point in taking any risks to get by any sooner.

This mission I’m sure can be incredibly frustrating for many, but my approach of eliminating all emotion from any mistakes made or near-wins served me well. If my time gaps were even a little slow, or if I touched one of the other cars, or made any other boo-boo, I would just re-try, shut off the audio and close my eyes, re-focus, and go again.

One more point or two: I had the screen setting at “simple” so there were fewer distractions like no track map showing those blue dots, and I never saw the other cars from the start of the mission because I always closed my eyes or looked away during the 123 second wait. I think this helped me to “race the track” rather than “chase the others”.

Tazio

--

postscript:

Vielen Dank, mein Herr Alta.

Darts
Too much spare time?????????????????????????

What is that old idiom? Something like, "You can always tell a Dutchman, but you can't tell him much."

Just kidding, Darts. Anyway, keep trying on 34. But do it your own way, of course.

Good Luck with it.

Tazio

Darts
Too much spare time?????????????????????????

What a.....

Anyway, thanks for this, Tazio. I've copied and pasted it into my ever-growing database of tips and information on how to pass this fiendishly-hard mission.

I've seen a few posts from guys who claim they passed it in five or six tries and say that it "really isn't all that difficult". Yeah, right.

If there's a shred of truth in their claims, I humbly bow to their skills as drivers.

For the vast majority of us, however, Mission 34 is a long-term project, requiring much research and practice. I'll keep coming back to it, knowing that there's a good chance I'll never pass it, because of the prize for winning it: The only Le Mans car I don't have.

Thanks again.

Zardoz
What a.....

Anyway, thanks for this, Tazio. I've copied and pasted it into my ever-growing database of tips and information on how to pass this fiendishly-hard mission.

I've seen a few posts from guys who claim they passed it in five or six tries and say that it "really isn't all that difficult". Yeah, right.

If there's a shred of truth in their claims, I humbly bow to their skills as drivers.

For the vast majority of us, however, Mission 34 is a long-term project, requiring much research and practice. I'll keep coming back to it, knowing that there's a good chance I'll never pass it, because of the prize for winning it: The only Le Mans car I don't have.

Thanks again.
hahaha, Im one of those people but remember Im on the PAL version, I have 8 seconds less to catch up than you guys which makes it ALOT easier, mainly because the passing spots are altered, I finished the mission with the same time almost as tazio which means I drove alot "slower"

Der Alta
Darts,

This is the write-ups forum. HE's given valuable information in a very critical manner.

Additionally, you didn't have to quote his entire post to add one question. I've edited yours and I suggest in the future you be a bit more respectful in what you post.

AO
I was talking about the race, not the report, next time i will put a smilie ok?

Nuvolari
What is that old idiom? Something like, "You can always tell a Dutchman, but you can't tell him much."

Just kidding, Darts. Anyway, keep trying on 34. But do it your own way, of course.

Good Luck with it.

Tazio
Already made it on monday, and yes its damn difficult.

About the 8 secoinds less on PAL:
Our Pal car is also a little bit more ****ed up than the NTSC

THANX Nuvolari! 👍 BRILLIANT Write-Up! :bowdown:
It's the LAST .4% keeping me from 100%. I refuse to "Lawn Mow" as others have suggested so perhaps with your lead and another 20+ attempts the NISSAN R89C will be mine! :irked:
THANX Again...O.G. :D

Im at 99.8% complete... And guess what I have left. Mission 34 DOH! Ive done it like 100 times now and closest I can come is 15 seconds... I think im gonna end up just offering to pay somone 5 bucks and have them beat it for me 💡

guys, i recently finished mission 34, surprisingly my penultimate one. it did require a bit of effort, a few hours of time, but at least you knew where to improve.
my last mission left is i think 13, the Superbird one around seattle. Any tips that you may have for it? The car is a joke to drive, sorry, but don't appreciate why its such a legendary car!
thanks in advance

edit: just finished it!!

I set about doing #34 before any of the others, helped me learn the Nurburgring really quite nicely....now complete so going back to #11 and going on from there!

The intermediate times posted at the top look a little slow for the first few sectors

T1 1’50.283 Quiddlebacher Hohe (the jump) -

T1 - I was closer to 1'43
T2 - 1'33
T3 - 1'27
T4 - 1'17

Times were approximately that although my PS2 is at home and I am at Uni so a part time driver!

Incidentally on my best run I overtook the SL65 coming down the Breitscheid! I was stunned myself, although stacked it later in the run :grumpy:

aliraza
guys, i recently finished mission 34, surprisingly my penultimate one. it did require a bit of effort, a few hours of time, but at least you knew where to improve.
my last mission left is i think 13, the Superbird one around seattle. Any tips that you may have for it? The car is a joke to drive, sorry, but don't appreciate why its such a legendary car!
thanks in advance

edit: just finished it!!

I have to agree, the Superbird really sucks, but since we have to do deal with it....
I can tell you that when I finished it, I won by 4,7 secs!
At the end of the first lap you should be in second place and first at the end of second lap. That leaves some margin to win the race. The secret as many says is brake soon and try to avoid to many contact with other cars since you can loose valuable time.
A good tip to test would be to let others go away and practice without them messing up your learning.

Speedbird223
I set about doing #34 before any of the others, helped me learn the Nurburgring really quite nicely....now complete so going back to #11 and going on from there!

The intermediate times posted at the top look a little slow for the first few sectors

T1 1’50.283 Quiddlebacher Hohe (the jump) -

T1 - I was closer to 1'43
T2 - 1'33
T3 - 1'27
T4 - 1'17

looks to me like you have the PAL version. Now, if you consider the extra 8 seconds the PAL users are given, you can do the math and see that you are actually losing time compared to Nuvolari's nice run.

Thanks Nuvolari for your efforts. According to your detailed writings, nowI know exactly where I have been losin times. :dopey: . I will give it a shot again tonight and hopefully I can put Mission34 behind. :sly:

The hardest thing I found about mission 34 was keepin that damn Merc straight over the jumps and bumps of the "Green Hell" :ouch: And why do we have to sit and wait 120 seconds at every attempt? Got it in the end tho. :cheers:

Good for you Madd Dog. :crazy: , at least you passed it. I am sitting here during work and thinking nothing but the Ring and Nuvolari's slpit times :crazy: . Can't wait to get home :grumpy:

speedy_samurai
looks to me like you have the PAL version. Now, if you consider the extra 8 seconds the PAL users are given, you can do the math and see that you are actually losing time compared to Nuvolari's nice run.

I am on PAL, when I typed that I didn't realise there was a difference.

I know where I lose the time, am not as hot around the section from Metzgesfeld to Wehrseifen.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has come across the SL65 coming down to Breitscheid before. I've been on it's tail from Bergwerk a number of times but Breitscheid some distance before. I think the actual time I won the mission for the first time I was on the way up the hill to Karussell

You know, I've always taken GT seriously and always try to drive realistic...
But on Mission 34 I went to the games limits...
I've heard people say things about no "lawn mowing" aka going into the grass.
I did Mission 34 a little different
I used walls, grass, and hills to help me...
for example, down the last straight before I hit the sharp turn, I hit my parking break really hard and made my car slide through the whole group of turns that are after the straight at the end...Now you're probably thinking that I got a penalty because I ran into the wall without braking
Well I didn't...you see,I had hit the parking brake BEFORE the sharp turns and slid straight into the wall, but!!! when I DID hit the wall it was my car's rear that was the first to hit the wall, thus, preventing me from a penalty and,at the same time, lining me up on the road!!:sly:
It got me a 9:11:740 (I have to beat the SL300 which gets a 9:13:200 in my version) which was enough to win...
On some turns though where there was no walls I took the turns correctly getting nice braking points, a good apex, and a nice exit!!
It all added up for the win!!
But Nuvolari, this is good write-up lots of info for the others

Good Job!!

L28eT

Thank you for the notes. Rarely get on here, even though I have been a GT fan since the begging. This mission is by far the hardest thing I have encountered. Golds aren't hard. All the other missions I got within the first two attempts, minus the Seattle 3 lap challenge (4 times), and the Skyline drafting (4 times again).

I started off about 10 seconds off his pace and was blown away. Think I am there now. Should have it within the next few tries, and alot of that is thanks to your write up, so thanks.

Ok, got home after being away for a few weeks. Watched the replay of my lap. Estimated splits were posted above. Actual splits:

+1.41.927
+1.33.385
+1.24.822
+1.14.591
+1.02.580
+51.332
+36.980
+29.805
+23.993
+14.807
+6.253

Overtook the SL65 at Klostertal and 300SL on short straight just before start/finish.

________

On the lap where I passed the SL65 coming down to Breitscheid I managed:
+1.40.277
+1.29.571
+1.19.828
+1.08.457
+56.604
+48.821
+34.756
+28.197
+24.321
Crash just after split time. 180'd the car. Pity as that lap I was going like **** off a shovel.

Since I am currently trying this mission out (Down 21 seconds after my 4th try) I thought I would thank the author of this post for such a good write-up.

I sure am loving the 'Ring, I just hate the way the SLR handles! I can post better times in my TVR that has over 200 less horses! I guess I just need to learn the car better.

Cheers

SpyHunter
Thank you for the notes. Rarely get on here, even though I have been a GT fan since the begging. This mission is by far the hardest thing I have encountered. Golds aren't hard. All the other missions I got within the first two attempts, minus the Seattle 3 lap challenge (4 times), and the Skyline drafting (4 times again).

not to be snobby, but i got the skyline one first time. was about 2 seconds behind on the third lap. alot of the writeups around here give you help. and i would have been faster but driving a line that allows the cars behind to draft is hard because they go all over the place. but the feeling that i got when i got into the yellow skylines draft was incredible. :dopey:

First of all I would like to say that this is an excellent site. This is my first post, although I've read hundreds from this site. Mission 34 was the hardest for me. I just finished watching a clip that someone had finished at 9:12 and change. This replay looks exactly like my replay. Mowing the lawn on the same spots. I heard a few comments saying NO CHEATING. Like no mowing lawns and using guard rails. I don't use guard rail but I do mow lawns. All I can say is that I don't think thats possible unless you have the PAL version. I watched a clip that someone had finished cleanly, no lawn mowing or hugging the rail. This person did it in 9:16 and change. Beating the second place by 0.07 something. His race started at 1:55. What is that all about. I had to start at 2:03 and had to beat the second place car before 9:13 (need to do the lap in 7:10 to win) PAL version need to do the lap in 7:21. They get extra 8 seconds of the line and thier competition is 3 seconds slower. All I can say is if anyone beat mission 34 in normal version not PAL without so called cheating, I wanna see how you did it. I'll download it just send me the link. It took me a week to beat it and I can consistently beat it now and times of 9:11-9:13. Mowing the lawn of course. Thank you :-)

I snapped my silver daul shock controler in temper. I would keep finishing about half a second behind the 300sl everytime. It would be awfull to see because I was doing all that hard work around the corners of the ring for 9 minutes just to finish Half a second behind the lead car and it gets very tedious, but I did it in the end.

You can afford to make a few very small mistakes like clipping the grass on a corner and spinning slightly, but a spin or a penalty will be guarantead failure When you get to the first carousel this is what I did:

Run around the outside railings and it will give you a bit of a boost on the straight.
Good luck people.

I tried it one time and I was like 6 secs behind and since I have NO patience I simply started to do the easy ones :) . I don't think I'm ready to wait another 123 sec to simply finsh like 4 sec behind the 300sl. I wish I had the PAL version :ouch: this mission would already be done :drool:

Back