niky

Karma Chameleon
Staff Emeritus
Philippines
Philippines
niky
The Mitsubishi Eclipse 06 Transmission Ratio bug

From this thread.

Ever notice how the 5th gear of the 2006 Eclipse doesn't seem like a real gear at all?

This is caused by programming on the part of PD that didn't take into account the fact that the 2006 Eclipse GT has two separate final drive ratios, one at 3.780:1 for gears 1-4 and one at 3.240:1 for gears 5 and 6. Here's how to remedy it.

Buy full transmission upgrade.
1. Set Final drive to 3.780
2. Set Auto tuning to 11
3. Follow gearsets below:

1st - 3.210
2nd - 2.240
3rd - 1.540
4th - 1.170
5th - 0.940
6th - 0.680

Note: If you set Auto first, you won't get the right ratios when you move the final-drive slider, and you'll have to move the Auto again to fix it, so do the final-drive first and save yourself the trouble.

Comparison of Stock in-game, Fixed and real-life speeds:

Code:
     Stock    Fixed    Real-life  

1st  - 40     - 40     - 40
2nd  - 57-58  - 57     - 58
3rd  - 85     - 85     - 85
4th  -113     -113     -111
5th  -118*    -134*    -134*
6th  -115**   -135**   -134**

* taken at 6200rpm. Stock Eclipse rev limiter in 5th gear
**taken at 4500rpm. Stock Eclipse rev limiter in 6th gear

Real-life gearsets found at caranddriver.com. If you set the gears on a fully-customizable tranny to the real-life values, you'll get the same results PD did. I'm assuming the programmer who entered the values didn't know what to do with the extra final-drive ratio and chucked it instead of trying to re-calculate gears 5 and 6 by hand. Betcha KY is really pissed with him right now.

6th isn't as accurate as I'd like, but at 11, it's set all the way left and 1st is set all the way right. At 9 or 10, you can't set either one properly at all.

You can set this thing any way you want to, but if you want the feel of the real Eclipse greabox, this is it.

If you're having similar problems with your VW, check out Scaff's Mk V Golf fix. :)

Original Post

Okay, nobody's made a thread about this before, and since it's not about tuning the damn thing (although that would help), I'd like to rant right here...

While trying out the Eclipse GT for the first time (imagine, 92% finished and I've never driven it before), I've noticed that fourth and fifth gear are almost coincidental, while sixth seems to be placed where it would logically be placed if fifth gear were a little higher...

Stock, the car should be:

Car and Driver
Final-drive ratio: 3.78:1/3.24:1*
*This final-drive ratio is for 5th and 6th gears only.
Gear, Ratio, Mph/1000 rpm, Max test speed
I, 3.21, 6.2, 40 mph (6500 rpm)
II, 2.24, 8.9, 58 mph (6500 rpm)
III, 1.54, 13.0, 85 mph (6500 rpm)
IV, 1.17, 17.1, 111 mph (6500 rpm)
V, 1.09, 21.5, 134 mph (6200 rpm)
VI, 0.79, 29.5, 134 mph (4500 rpm)

Whereas in the game, it feels like:

Final-drive ratio: 3.78:1/3.24:1*
Gear, Ratio, Mph/1000 rpm, Max test speed
I, 3.21, 6.2, 40 mph (6500 rpm)
II, 2.24, 8.9, 58 mph (6500 rpm)
III, 1.54, 13.0, 85 mph (6500 rpm)
IV, 1.17, 17.1, 111 mph (6500 rpm)
V, 1.12?, 18.5, 120? mph (6500 rpm) upshift from IV-redline gets it to 6k in V!
VI, 0.79, 29.5, 134 mph (4500 rpm) - I don't know where it tops out, but of course, it's not limited in the game...

Am I the only one this happens to? I'd like to know... but for now, I'm going to have to put a damn race tranny on it to get it to run like stock. Anyone else notice this? Or do I have a defective game? :nervous: :ill: :nervous:

The Mark V Golf GTI is the same way. When you shift from fourth to fifth, nothing happens, the tach barely twitches. So it's like a five-speed with two fourth gears, instead of being a proper six-speed. I'm assuming the real car doesn't do that (be kind of silly if it did, eh?)

goodness gracious, you mean that GT4 has another slight inconsistency...

sorry to be a bit shirty on the subject. i guess having played the GT series for so long, finding such slight problems aren't that big a deal anymore.

considering how long it takes PD to unleash each new version of GT, i am kinda glad they don't do very thorough consistency checking, otherwise we would never get a game.

Ezz777
goodness gracious, you mean that GT4 has another slight inconsistency...

sorry to be a bit shirty on the subject. i guess having played the GT series for so long, finding such slight problems aren't that big a deal anymore.

Well, after the seven gear bug in the old GT, I guess we shouldn't complain about the little stuff, but darn it, these are brand new cars... the Eclipse and the Golf GTi... the ones that car companies would be hounding PD to put in the game. I'd expect this kind of bug if it were a 15-year old Lada, but c'mon, showroom concepts?

Ezz777
considering how long it takes PD to unleash each new version of GT, i am kinda glad they don't do very thorough consistency checking, otherwise we would never get a game.

:lol: :lol: :lol: How true. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hell, well, since I didn't find this posted anywhere else, I figured I'd put it on the board for anyone else who wants to correct this little inconsistency in GT. Stupid... fricking... tranny... :ouch:

edit: Know what I just realized? I think I answered my own question in my first post... Mitsu has TWO final drive ratios, one for gears up to four, and the OTHER for fifth and sixth. Must be that PD translated the ratios by gear and then slapped the final drive on instead of translating each gear straight to the wheels...

Which is probably why this also happens to the Golf... with VWs complex DSG gearbox, who knows which gear goes where? :lol:

That's possible, who knows? Sixth seems to be about right, because it can hit roundabout 150mph, which is reported to be the car's real-life top speed. The Golf, I mean.. not sure what the Eclipse can do.

yeah, i've notice that and i really hated to shift twice when i race it, so i have to buy custom tranny to fix that gear so it will be normal

Hmm... gonna look up the Golf online and test it out later... will post my findings tomorrow. Anyone else have a crappy gearbox in GT4 to report? It's going to be fun posting the fixes to these ****ty bugs. :D

niky
Hmm... gonna look up the Golf online and test it out later... will post my findings tomorrow. Anyone else have a crappy gearbox in GT4 to report? It's going to be fun posting the fixes to these ****ty bugs. :D

Already looked at the Golf GTI in another thread

Golf GTI Mk V Gear Ratios

To Golf GTI in the game is the standard gearbox model not the DSG model, the real gear ratios you can see on the link above.

Regards

Scaff

Scaff
Already looked at the Golf GTI in another thread

Golf GTI Mk V Gear Ratios

To Golf GTI in the game is the standard gearbox model not the DSG model, the real gear ratios you can see on the link above.

Regards

Scaff

Nice one. Still think we should put these in a sticky somewhere...

Back