Mitsubishi Eclipse Concept

• Thread starter takumi64
  • 16 comments
No idea. It's still in the concept phase, but right now its AWD. The rear tires are driven by an electric motor, while the front is driven by the engine.

It's hard to say what it'll be like when production time comes around. I believe one magazine didn't think the AWD version would make it.

Personally, I think they need to go back to the first generation engine and drivetrain layout.

The front wheels are driven by a gas powered engine, and the rear wheels are driven by an electric engine. This will never make it to the streets. The torque splits would be like 90/10 because there is no way that an electric motor can put out the same torque/hp as a gasoline engine. The front wheels would be draging the rear down the road. I personally think its a stupid idea. A REAL eclipse concept would be a REAL AWD model with the 4G63. Than I might concider it.

Originally posted by takumi64
So this new AWD system is similar to Nissan's ATTESA-ETS?

No...

The Attesa is controlled by computers. In short, it sends as much power as to whatever wheels have the most traction. It starts off heavily biased to the rear, but can then adjust if the power is too great for the rear tires to get to the ground. The one in the Eclipse is something totally different. In a way, it would be a hybrid. It would still run the front wheels of the car of the normal engine, while the rear was opperated by an electric engine, or battery, whatever. Like TS1 said, it's doubtful that sort of configuration would be sensible or make it to production.

I feel that the eclipse should actually reverse the process... Put electric motors UP FRONT... and send the gas power to the rear.. (but that wouldn't make much sense in terms of 'saving space' for the car now would it? heh..)

Originally posted by Goomba
No...

The Attesa is controlled by computers. In short, it sends as much power as to whatever wheels have the most traction. It starts off heavily biased to the rear, but can then adjust if the power is too great for the rear tires to get to the ground. The one in the Eclipse is something totally different. In a way, it would be a hybrid. It would still run the front wheels of the car of the normal engine, while the rear was opperated by an electric engine, or battery, whatever. Like TS1 said, it's doubtful that sort of configuration would be sensible or make it to production.

This is exactly correct:tup: The ATESSA acts most like a Limited Slip Differential, but it works electronically and is adjusted independently.

I like Slyline standing launches:D

Originally posted by TS1AWD
The front wheels are driven by a gas powered engine, and the rear wheels are driven by an electric engine. This will never make it to the streets. The torque splits would be like 90/10 because there is no way that an electric motor can put out the same torque/hp as a gasoline engine. The front wheels would be draging the rear down the road. I personally think its a stupid idea. A REAL eclipse concept would be a REAL AWD model with the 4G63. Than I might concider it.

That's actually correct. While it is currently impractical for an electric motor in a car to have the level of HP seen in gasoline engines, mostly due to weight and battery capacity issues, electric motors put out ample amounts of torque. In addition, electric moptors have a flat torque curves, meaning they can generate as much torque as a nicely powered gasoline engine even at low RPM, creating great pickup and off-the-line accelleration. Also consider that there are electric cars capable of running quarter mile times in the 9 second range.

However, I am against this system because I see it as needlessly complex.

I'd like to see either a true AWD setup, or something sorely lacking in todays cars, an FR drivetrain.

Needlessly complex and perhaps stupidly complex. The technological concept is fantastic but lots of concepts start out that way but when you try to apply them they get you nowhere new...

Back